Released into the reality of the business

Posted by Darren Urban on May 27, 2014 – 5:42 pm

LeQuan Lewis was in the weight room lifting with teammates, wearing his trademark glasses, when one of the front office men came to get him following Tuesday’s OTA. The Cardinals were signing four players who had been in on a tryout basis from rookie minicamp. Lewis was one of the four who were going to be let go in order to make that happen, since the Cardinals already had maxed out their 90-man roster.

This is the reality.

Lewis was on my radar because my cohort Kyle Odegard had chronicled his nomadic NFL story for an upcoming azcardinals.com piece. That plan obviously has now changed. We probably should have seen it coming, since the reason Lewis’ story was so intriguing is precisely because he continues to be the guy who can’t quite stick. When you have a team willing to churn the roster like the Cardinals, long-term story plans about guys lower on the roster is probably a red flag.

Lewis, in fact, has been with eight teams since 2011 and officially released more times than that, with jumps on and off practice squads. “After the first three times (being released), it’s like, ‘Aww, that contract ain’t sh–,” Lewis told Kyle recently. “I know what the deal is. I know where this is going and what to expect.”

Does that make today any easier?

“Everyone’s like, ‘What team are you with now?’” Lewis told Kyle. “People are in my ear like, ‘What are you going to do now? Are you going to (get a regular job)?’ It’s like, ‘No. I’m going to keep working out and get back to where I want to go.’ I have that mindset. No one knows what this business is like until they’re in it, and I think I’ve been in every scenario there is.”

I’m guessing LeQuan Lewis surfaces again in the NFL. Heck, he might end up coming back here at some point, although he was cut for an undrafted rookie in Jimmy Legree who stands 6-foot-1 and fits the body type for what Todd Bowles wants on defense. The roster is back to 90 players. This is how it works for so many of these guys in the offseason. Another reality is that of the 53-man roster, it’s probably pretty easy to get a good handle on, say, 40-45 of those spots already. The other guys are just hoping to reach training camp and get a chance, however slim it might be.

LewisLequanUSE

Tags: , ,

11 Responses to “Released into the reality of the business”

1. By br on May 27, 2014 | Reply

Wow this is to freaky!
    Darren I was just typing a question to you on your “last blog about ota’s when my phone internet shut down and i lost my comment, i come back on and see this brand new blog …fraky! My question was if you had heard any whispers on any of the “tryout invites actually getting contract offers since we were at max roster and players would have to be released in order to sign any tryout players. Guess you answered my not quite posted question!! To freaky!

2. By br on May 27, 2014 | Reply

Ok this has got to be a huge good omen, I was commenting on Jalen Parmele when my internet shut down losing my entire blog then i log back in and Darren has this new story, and low and behold Jalen is one of the new signings!!! Gotta be good Karma, at least I hope it is!! As I was commenting before my internet shut down I was saying I thought Parmele may be an option I saw him a couple yrs ago playing for Miami, if I’m not mistaken he came in and became the starting RB for the fins. I only saw him play in 4, maybe 5 games, not to shabby from what I remember he was pretty consistent and I dont remember him fumbling or making any huge mistakes in the small sampling I saw of him.

Darren the article say Tim Corrnet was cut, lists him as a WR. Is that Tim Corrnet the UDRFA out of UNLV that we signed after the draft, because he is a RB not WR, or do we have a Tim Corrnet that is a WR or just a typo??? TC the RB/UNLV i thought would have a good chance of sticking with the Cards, both him and Bauman…tells you what the heck I know, huh!! :)

3. By Andy Kw on May 27, 2014 | Reply

I think we all knew that he was signed for the sole purpose of filling the 90 man roster.

Now, with Bobby Massie struggling i suggest this team seriously considers resigning Eric Winston. He is big, knows the system, and provided the most stability at the position. He will be a key piece in this team’s success. He is one of the best RT in the league and he is still in the market. Let’s strike a 2yr contract with him and make this OL better. Bradley So well should compete with Winston and find some trade partner for Massie

4. By br on May 27, 2014 | Reply

Please excuse my stupity, upon reading your article more closely I see my mistake I read the position then the name, they did release Tim Cornett the RB, thats to bad I thought both he and Zach Bauman/NAU both had a good shot at pushing for a roster spot, TC must have been one of the players that BA was saying were making to many mental errors.
    That picture of Parmele you have posted in your story….I cant see some of the other players #’s but I assume he is standing with a group of RB’s, if so is it just me or does he really tower over the other backs that much? He looks like a man omong boys, he must have awesome measurable’s!
    One last question and I will leave you be…(showing my ignorance once again, but such is life :) ) When was Robert Hughes signed? I saw you mentioned his mane in your blog, yesterday I think, Guess I’m getting old and senile, but for the life of me I dont recall that signing. And that is Hughes RB out of Notre Dame, right?

5. By JohnnyBluenose on May 27, 2014 | Reply

Too bad for the guys cut loose today but close to half the guys still there today will also be gone by Sept 1st….and a lot of them will be good football players. And, true to form, Ryan Williams is wearing #34 for the Cowboys. Hope he can hang in there and have a few good years after the disappointing start (starts) to his NFL career.

6. By jason on May 27, 2014 | Reply

Andy KW-

If Eric Winston was one of the best RT’s in the league he wouldn’t still be a free agent right now. The fact is that he didn’t have a good year last year and we have two young players to fight for that spot….we don’t need him.

-7 sacks allowed
    - 51 QB pressures allowed
    - PFF grade of -7.1 in pass blocking
    - PFF grade of -8.4 in run blocking

7. By Ottis Anderson Fan on May 27, 2014 | Reply

Big bucks-or-bust business. And yes, the rookie minimum salary of $300,000 qualifies as big bucks for this peon.

8. By br on May 28, 2014 | Reply

Se guys I told you we should draft Zach Martin he would have been the RT or RG we needed, he is a beast, already ripping up ACL’s of his own defenders in Dallas amd not even in full pads yet! :) ( yea i know thats pretty poor taste, but it is Dallas!)
    In all seriousness Darren mentioned us possibly signing another veteran ILB, we may want to speed the process because now Dallas is in the market as well with Lee out for
    the year. P. Angerer is probably the best unsigned left out there right now another name that is out there is J. Vilma, but not sure he would go over real well in Arizona with the “bounty gate” hanging over his head and Kurt Warner’s name smack dab in the middle of it. Anyone have any other signings for an Inside Linebacker

9. By br on May 28, 2014 | Reply

Andy kw, Jason,

While I have to agree with your numbers Jason, I believe they are abit skewed, willing to bet that most of those occurred in the first half of the season. EW improved just like most of the offensive players once they picked up on BA’s complicated offense, and please remember Winston wasnt signed until first day of training camp and it didnt take him a week to displace Massie. Just a couple yyrs ago Winston was one of the best, if not the best RT in the biz.
    Andy kw
    While I tend to lean toward signing EW like you do (especially since we didnt get Z Martin) I dont know if he is an absolute must have since Sowell is being given a shot at RT, I feel we can do without Winston, Sowell improved vastly last yr at LT after being thrown to the wolves at the last minute, I think he is versatile enough to make a solid RT out of him, Potter as well provides solid depth at both RT/LT. Massie needs to prove he rates a spot on the final roster in my opinion, wouldnt be surprised if one of the undrafted rookies or tryout invites surpasses Massie. My biggest concern (now that Sowell is going to be given a shot at RT) is who is going to emerge at RG, and are they going to be able to plug the gap, this is the sole reason why I was hoping beyond hope that Martin/ND would have fallen to us in the draft, he would have been an anchor at either RG or RT.
    Both of you have solid points and i cant see an argument against either, and as you can see I have to lean both ways which is rare for me, but I guess we will have to wait and see how it all plays out.
    Ps…also something to look into Andy kw, maybe Winston has priced himself out of what SK thinks he worth??

10. By nate on May 28, 2014 | Reply

Ottis Anderson Fan I find it quite offensive to see you refer to a Cardinals prospect as a “peon”. Have some respect.

11. By jason on May 28, 2014 | Reply

br-

Doesn’t change the facts: He didn’t have a good year and he isn’t one of the top tackles anymore. We have Massie and Watford and they are the guys everyone should be rooting for because they are the most physically/athletically gifted guys we have for the right side of our line. If they can’t beat out Sowell and Fanika/Larsen then it will be a disappointment and if we have to have another late signing because no one steps up that will be sad. Obviously you can’t have the metal errors and that is why Arians wanted Winston last year, but if you read Darren’s blog again he is just mentioning Massie’s past mental errors not insinuating that he has been struggling this year.