Ta’amu running, hoping with rehab

Posted by Darren Urban on May 29, 2014 – 9:53 am

Tyrann Mathieu isn’t the only Cardinals trying to come back from torn knee ligaments, even if he normally has the spotlight.

“That’s how we big dudes always are,” nose tackle Alameda Ta’amu said with a grin. “We do all the dirty work and the skinny guys get all the glory.”

Ta’amu is also coming off of ACL surgery in his right knee. He didn’t have the comprehensive damage of Mathieu, but his injury did occur in the season finale on Dec. 29. That wasn’t that long ago. Ta’amu is already running in 100-yard increments, however, and is confident in his return just a few months after his surgery.

“An ACL (injury) is like an ankle sprain now in the NFL,” Ta’amu said. “We’ve got good doctors. I believe in our trainers. It’s good that I’m running.”

At 6-foot-3 and 348 pounds, Ta’amu has to make sure his knee can hold up not only to the pounding of playing the interior line but also to his own mass. He’s an important cog to the Cardinals. He teamed well with starter Dan Williams, a waiver claim at the end of training camp that proved to be a perfect fit. Working on a one-year tender offer, Ta’amu is hoping to build on what he showed last year and be a long-term piece for the Cardinals. First he has to get on the field.

Ta’amu isn’t sure of a timetable. It may be more out of a desire to return more than any medical certainty, but he holds out hope he can return by the season opener, and for now leaves the door open that he might even be able to come back at some point in training camp. It would be an incredibly fast recovery, but he won’t close that door.

“I always figured this was just an obstacle I’d overcome,” Ta’amu said. “And I’m doing pretty good.”

MedaBlogUSE

Tags: ,

17 Responses to “Ta’amu running, hoping with rehab”

1. By beardinals on May 29, 2014 | Reply

What a great surprise to see him get after it last year. I’m really hoping he comes back to form early in the season.

2. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on May 29, 2014 | Reply

Ta’amu is a key cog. If he puts in the work (sounds like he is) he’ll be back. He’s a pro, good work ethic from what we saw last year. Man, he’d help the LBs, espciallly a lot if DWash gets punked by the Commish.

3. By LadyBird04 on May 29, 2014 | Reply

Glad to see both him and Matthieu out there “running”. Hope we won’t have a troop of “scooter” guys again this year. How are the rest of them doing? I know they are practicing but are they all at full speed?

Can’t wait for camp and pre-season.

4. By AzDesertRat1953 on May 29, 2014 | Reply

Alameda Ta’amu.
    Even his name sounds like you do not want to mess with him.

Good to see the Big Dude up running around and joking about the skinny guys.

GO CARDS!!!

5. By D on May 29, 2014 | Reply

Darren
    Your post draft piece was good. My take on each team:

1-Seattle-generally every team has a post SuperBowl hangover-losing those Dlineman should be noticeable this year, and one would have to think Lynch has to start slowing down soon. I see them falling back a notch, when they make the playoffs, I see a one and done. (they still have enough talent to win 10 games)

2-SF-so much controversy this offseason for them with their QB, Head Coach and A.Smith. I think the players are getting tired of John H’s antics. They have improved their WR corp but I saw a regression with Colin last year and a all-year contract/questions looming over him won’t help. This has to be the year Justin Smith slows down, but the loss of Bowman is huge for probably the first 6 weeks. I think SF blew the draft with the amount of pics they had, I think they should have came away with more impact players than they did.

3-Rams-On paper thier Dline looks very strong, I think our OT’s now are aware of how good Quinn is at DE. I think the Rams are still weak at CB and WR, but this team will only go as far as Bradford, and we all know if a defense can bloody his lip, he is shot for the rest of the game.

4-AZ. This team has to treat this year like NFC West title game or bust. I know that may sound crazy since they didn’t make the playoffs last year, but with the future of Palmer and Fitzgerald in AZ after this year in some doubt, going deep into the playoffs is a must and have to be lucky with injuries to be a strong team, meaning a sweep of the Rams and at least a split with SF and Seattle in the division. I think Palmer will reduce his turnover issues from last year and the running game will be greatly improved. I think our secondary could be one of the best in the NFL this year once all is healthy, the pressure will be on the Pass Rushers and the Right side of the OLine this year. Hopefully DWash will only be out 2 games and Abraham along with either Benard/Okafor/Acho can provide some LB pass rush. I think this is the year C. Campbell needs to show the NFL he can dominate on every Sunday. I still think after June 1st, the Cards add another OT in free agency. I don’t see Potter on the roster and I think they feel better with Sowell as their backup LT which again would place the starting Right Tackle job between Massie and a Free agent acquisition.

Should be a fun year.

6. By Jsoully on May 29, 2014 | Reply

So I have a trade proposition, we might not have a reason to trade Robert Housler, but I think that the demand for him is too high. I think Denver would make that happen for a 6th Round Pick, then sign Stevenson Sylvester to play immediately.

7. By ored on May 29, 2014 | Reply

i know they want more depth at certain positions but i’m pulling for the nau rb to stay.

8. By Iain on May 29, 2014 | Reply

Dear Darren,

How is John Brown getting on? I remember before you mentioned he was sitting out, is he back to practicing full time? Thanks.

9. By Darren Urban on May 29, 2014 | Reply

Iain —

RE: Brown

He’s been practicing, yes.

10. By cardsalltheway on May 29, 2014 | Reply

Beached Whale?
    He’s a gonna have ta drop da few to make the team!

11. By cardsalltheway on May 29, 2014 | Reply

Compare Ta’amu to V. Davis…

And count Ta’amu OUT!!! He ain’t got a hope in ****!!!

Vernon Davis wants a new contract from 49ers
    And (NFL/video at link) Cardinal highlights are shown to show why…
    San Francisco 49ers tight end Vernon Davis is skipping voluntary offseason workouts to leverage his absence into a new contract.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday that Davis is staying away from OTAs because he wants a new deal, according to a source informed of the player’s situation. Rapoport also reported the 49ers knew of Davis’ desire for a new deal well before OTAs began. CSN Bay Area’s Matt Maiocco first reported Davis’ dissatisfaction with his contract situation.
    Davis still has two years remaining on the six-year, $42.7 million contract he signed in 2010.
    Coach Jim Harbaugh brushed off Davis’ absence Wednesday, citing the voluntary nature of the workouts.
    However, Davis is sacrificing his annual $200,000 workout bonus in order to protest. The tight end would also be subject to additional fines if he takes the holdout into mid-June and misses the 49ers’ mandatory minicamp.
    Davis, 30, is set to make $5.1 million and $4.95 million over the next two seasons. The eight-year pro is coming off a 13 touchdown, 850-yard season. His average salary of $7.4 million over the course of the deal ranks third among tight ends.
    The tight end joins guard Alex Boone in sitting out with two years on his deal, while hoping for a pay increase, per Rapoport.
    The list of players who the 49ers will need to pay soon is already long: quarterback Colin Kaepernick, wide receiver Michael Crabtree, guard Mike Iupati and, presumably, linebacker Aldon Smith. And that doesn’t include a new contract for Harbaugh.
    When teams win like the 49ers have in recent year, everybody wants to get paid.

12. By Dynosoar on May 30, 2014 | Reply

cardsalltheway,

Your remarks reminded me of an article by Darren several weeks ago, isn’t it awesome we have a Patrick Peterson who says he’ll not hold out instead of a V. Davis who signed the contract and still has two years but is “so important” that he is going to hold out.

On one hand I like the drive Peterson has to “be the best.” On the other I like Cromartie’s comment of best, not best, who cares, just be the best I can be as often as I can be. Still, I don’t see either pulling a hold-out.

I see a sweep of the Rams and the 49ers as more probable than not, but the Rams seem to surprise us each year. The Seahawks, a sweep is possible, but not probable.

Our players are talking Super Bowl, I don’t see a team getting there without talking about it first. We swept the division on our last Super Bowl run, it won’t be easy, but that’d be awesome to do it again.

13. By JohnnyBluenose on May 30, 2014 | Reply

DWASH reportedly suspended for the entire 2014 season???? Seems very harsh to me but definitely sends a strong message. Big setback for our Cardinals. Next man up….keep going.

14. By Andy kw on May 30, 2014 | Reply

I am shocked by the suspension but I think we can find good replacements:
    -I think ILB Larry Foote should battle ILB Kevin Minter for the starting job. After this one year, if Minter wins or loses, he will play as the starter next year.
    -I think we can bring in a veteran or two to battle for Washington’s spot. MLB Erin Henderson has the size and speed to excel in Todd Bowles’ system. Pat Angerer is a former indianapolis colt that could reunite with Bruce Arians.
    -Paris Lenon did bad against the run in recent history but he is a secure tackler. I wouldn’t bring him back but if he does return, I guess I wouldn’t mind.
    -Jonathan Vilma brings aggressiveness to the table that would be great. Lorenzo Alexander is a person I still have questions about. Why not Sam Acho at ILB?

15. By JohnnyBluenose on May 30, 2014 | Reply

When I posted earlier I thought the suspension was related to his assault conviction. This is very disappointing. The words that Washington speaks are written by his agent and are absolutely meaningless and, indeed, are insulting. What a friggin’ joke.

16. By Coach K on May 30, 2014 | Reply

The Big Guy needs to be extra careful at his weight. He will need more time than he thinks. His weight alone is a danger to his knew. Don’t rush. Time is money.

2. Jun 7, 2014: Ta'amu running, hoping with rehab | Cliff Jordan Films