Ramifications of Washington’s suspension

Posted by Darren Urban on May 30, 2014 – 11:00 am

This one I’m not sure anyone saw coming. Forget the length of Daryl Washington’s suspension, which is not good for a defense that figured to miss him for a couple of games but certainly not 16. It’s at least 16, by the way. He has to be reinstated. It’s not automatic. It’s just that, with the news Washington violated the league’s substance abuse policy again (no, this has nothing to do with his assault case), I can’t help but think back to Washington’s tweet last summer after it came out that violating that same policy was going to cost him a four-game suspension to start 2013.

I promise to work even harder and to not let you guys down anymore.”

That was before his arrest and obviously long before this latest news, which comes with no details, including how this impacts Washington beyond the 2014 season. What this means for Washington’s future in Arizona would only be a guess right now, although coach Bruce Arians is scheduled to meet the media after Monday’s OTA. Speaking of Washington as a person, he’s obviously made some bad, bad decisions and if he doesn’t figure it out at some point he’s in danger of losing his livelihood. Just last week, Washington was sounding genuinely in the dark about his situation.

In a statement released to the media, Washington acknowledges the violation was related to marijuana. Under the league’s substance abuse policy, punishment for being in Stage 2 of the league’s system is a four-game suspension. Washington got a four-game suspension last year. It is in Stage 3 where the minimum suspension is for at least one year. According to that policy, the player has to apply to be reinstated after that year. A return is not automatic. He spends the rest of his career in Stage 3, with unannounced testing and the ability to be tested up to 10 times a month.

GM Steve Keim left no doubt where he stood: “It’s completely unacceptable that Daryl has once again put us in this position.” Football-wise, the Cardinals don’t need this. The organization made the prudent decision to let Karlos Dansby go and not try and overpay him given his age. But I’d guess that was based partly on knowing Washington – even if he had been out a couple of games suspended through his assault plea – was mostly going to be around. Now Washington is not going to be around. It makes the step forward from Kevin Minter that much more important. It makes the signing of Larry Foote that much more crucial. And I’d guess sooner rather than later, the Cardinals will bring in another veteran linebacker. (Ernie Sims visited the other day.)

Washington can’t be at the facility. He won’t get his $2.9 million salary. (For a full breakdown of the suspension’s financial impact on Washington, check out this stuff from overthecap.com.) Cap relief might not come until 2015.

There is time to regroup. Arians will undoubtedly push next man up, and, again from a football perspective, this is just like losing a player with a major injury before the season begins. It happens. But given Washington’s history and cloudy future, there is obviously more that goes into it. And that makes this a difficult situation.

I know some have said cut Washington. That won’t happen. He just got his huge bonus. He doesn’t get paid while he is suspended. He will only be 28 next year, and depending on what happens over the next year (and whether Washington can get his life in order), he figures to return to the field. Of course, things can always change.

“I sincerely apologize for the effect of my actions on my teammates, coaches and other colleagues at the Cardinals,” Washington said in his statement. “I also apologize to Cardinals fans for the time I will miss. I will work diligently during this suspension and will return as a better man and football player.”

We’ll see.

DWashSusBlogShotUSE

Tags: ,

81 Responses to “Ramifications of Washington’s suspension”

1. By louis on May 30, 2014 | Reply

its going to be a long season hope everybody is ready for this.

2. By Marlin on May 30, 2014 | Reply

What a LETDOWN! He let everybody down. This is “setting up” to be a big Cardinals year! His selfishness and lack of self control jeopardizes everyone.

3. By rdixon50 on May 30, 2014 | Reply

I feel sick – I had us going 11-5 with DWash out 6 games. Next man up, and he better be lightning fast. Time to throw up now – Damn you Washington

4. By Steve Weston on May 30, 2014 | Reply

When I first saw the breaking news I thought the year suspension was due to the assault and was flabbergasted. I now see that this suspension is for drugs. Very, very disappointed in Washington. At this point I don’t even want to see him in a Cardinals uniform ever again.

5. By D on May 30, 2014 | Reply

I would go after some of that bonus $. Wow, then once Gooddell responds to his domestic issue, this could also make him miss games next year. Some will question why Keim took 2 WR’s in the draft and No ILB, but I think the Cards now need get creative. Since it appears Housler probably won’t make the team, I would look at a trade, some teams like Houston, Oakland and Redskins are weak at the TE spot. I would try and trade Housler to the Bears for their backup ILB J. Bostic. (he makes a little more than Housler but they need another young LB on the roster that has some experience).

6. By K-Dub on May 30, 2014 | Reply

What does this do for Cap Space and Dead Money? Would this second offense put him in a pay cut or just a cut situation?

Thanks

7. By Dave on May 30, 2014 | Reply

It’s too bad, but the guy obviously has some serious character flaws. He assaulted the mother of his child. The cardinals need to move on from this guy one way or another. I loved him as a player, don’t get me wrong. Unfortunately, the cardinals need to set a precedent of what their expectations are for what is acceptable behavior. I don’t know about you guys, but I think the Cardinals are on the fast track to becoming a 1st class organization. We aren’t going to get there by giving special treatment to certain players. GO CARDS!!!

8. By Marcus on May 30, 2014 | Reply

This is a big blow for our defense. I love D Wash but we need to draft his replacement next year just in case he doesnt get his crap together. We cant afford to be in this position again due to his stupidity. I worked with a woman who grew up with him in high school. She said he always made dumb immature decisions. Hes the type of person that would steal candy bags from kids on Halloween. Its so sad to see so much talent wasted, I really believe hes the best inside line backer in the game. I know san fran has theirs, but D Wash is still young and on their level.

9. By lg on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Dam it’s already been a bad day for me now this. I feel y’all pain but we got to move forward bird gang aint one player. it’s a team he is a all star one of our best players but he aint the team bird gang!!! stay strong.

10. By David on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Better call Saul

Serious note. Pat angerer?

11. By Kurt on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Daryl, never made the effort to change his behavior. Now that he is on probation he will be tested with the risk of being sent to prison if he fails. Hopefully the team can break his contract and move on. The NFL will have to react to the assault issues as well. Football is not in Washington’s future unless it’s Canadian Football.

12. By Darren Urban on May 30, 2014 | Reply

K-Dub —

RE: Washington money

He will not get his 2014 salary ($2.9M) workout bonus and will have to surrender a portion of his bonus money.

Cap-wise, I believe the salary will come off the cap but not until September.

13. By Brad oneill on May 30, 2014 | Reply

The man has unique talent and he just wasted it to do something he could have waited a few years for and lived out his days well taken care of. That 10 million is dead money, it will be gone before he is forty. He let himself down more than anyone but it hurts to watch a team so close lose such an incredible athlete. Maybe he gets a shot somewhere but he has lost the respect of this fan that was really hoping he had a handle on things for himself as much as the team.

14. By Eric G on May 30, 2014 | Reply

What a BS suspension. If he were on the Giants, Patriots, Ravens or any one of the other darling teams for the league, he would have only received a four game suspension. Eff Goodell.

15. By joe holst on May 30, 2014 | Reply

marijuana? big deal.

16. By ryan on May 30, 2014 | Reply

what a shame! he is such a great player on the field and a big loss to the team this year. again.

maybe ALL the states should just legalize marijuana and then we dont have to worry about players being suspended.

17. By jeffgollin on May 30, 2014 | Reply

You gotta play the hand you’re dealt. (The Cards don’t get to take the year off).

Todd Bowles’ hand is sans Dansby and now DWash. It will be interesting to see how he rises to the challenge of keeping the “D” playing at a high level.

If pro football were that easy, why play the games?

18. By Pete Dowdle on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Mind-boggling, and pathetic; such a stupid waste! I hope he is somehow moved out of the Card’s organization.

He was suspended last year, gave a so-called heartfelt apology then, and here he is doing it all again. The Card’s gave him that bonus, and they probably stand to lose even more if they just cut him. But what about if they try to bring him back, a year older and a year removed from playing? How effective will he be, then? Can he be trusted? I don’t think there’s a positive answer to anything that can be asked in the hope of seeing the player he’s been return to the Card’s.

It’s not like Mathieu’s situation, where he messed up while still in college, swore to turn his life around, and has done nothing but move upwards and onwards since. Not knowing what the future would bring there, I nevertheless hoped Mathieu would prove to be honest and sincere about wanting to play for Arizona and turn his life around, and I was glad to see Arizona give him that second chance. Even upon news of Washington’ first violation, and still after hearing of the assault charge, I hoped for him to return to the team with his head on straight.

Washington has proven himself to be a career criminal and liar, and an unreliable teammate. He’s now been suspended twice for substance abuse, and he has further action pending against him based on an assault charge. Cut him, I say, and cut your losses… before you bring him back to lose him, and even more, again.

19. By Andy Kw on May 30, 2014 | Reply

I truly believe Daryl Washington has learned his lesson. Hopefully he can convince the commissioner to reduce his sentence down to a 4-6 game suspension.

20. By beardinals on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Darren – No mention of further suspension in 2015. Can we assume that’s still a possibility for the domestic violence case?

21. By Jsoully on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Daryl,

I might be disapointed in your decision, but I still support you, you have done a lot for the Arizona Cardinals, work your butt off, go to counseling and by the football gods maybe you’ll be able to be reinstated after a 6 game suspension. I will always be behind you Daryl, but you got to remember your a leader of a defense.

22. By Dr. G. on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Well…. Mine was an easy prediction that the least would be 4 games. This is a surprise, but then again it isn’t given the message the Commissioner wants to send to the league to “protect the NFL image” for the fans and the business.

Repeating, The commish is calling a very loud audible that this criminal offense, when compared to last year’s 4 game suspension for tokin a few times, is much more grievous considering the admission of guilt for an incident that included aggravated assault and personal bodily injury. ((My belief is that this was not intentional))

Now DWash will be the billboard in the classroom as an example for the other players/coaches as to what can happen when a naive attitude prevails.

I can appreciate this action, and I can upchuck at the same time…. Let’s close the book on this and let DWash pay his due and move on…. Be well Cards Fans…

23. By Tucson Card on May 30, 2014 | Reply

I’m going to do my best Calculon (Futurama) impression…..NOOOOOOOOOO

24. By Dr. G. on May 30, 2014 | Reply

My amendment…. I just read the part about the penalty being imposed for the same thing as last year… WOW! WOW! Now DWash gets to face another penalty from the Commish for the pending event in my last commentary…. Darren writes “at least a year” JUST….WOW !!!

25. By Darren Urban on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Eric G —

RE: Length

This wasn’t a decided length. It’s automatic given how many times he has violated policy.

26. By Darren Urban on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: Suspension

It’s not going to be reduced.

27. By Darren Urban on May 30, 2014 | Reply

beardinals —

RE: Assault

I wish I had an answer for that.

28. By Dr. G. on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Darren…. Now to my question from earlier in the week…. Does DWash have to leave the facilities and practice? Or is this the proverbial death penalty that means he must not attend anything related to pre-=season and the workout facilities?

29. By Darren Urban on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Suspension

Banned this time around, unlike last year.

30. By Dr. G. on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Darren – Yes, I got the reason for the suspension…. I tried to correct it with another post, but apparently you got it a little late… My appologies… This is just awful, huh?

31. By horsepedlr on May 30, 2014 | Reply

thankyou rodger for waiting until after the draft. up yours

32. By Jsoully on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Does this open a roster spot Darren?

33. By Dr. G. on May 30, 2014 | Reply

I hope this to be my last post on this subject – but one last comment. This newly released statement is simple an echo from much earlier when all we thought pending was the domestic event…. all the while he is tokin up again and apologizing and accepting responsibility. It is obvious that this was written by his lawyer for him to pretend contrition. His lawyers loses some cash here too… movin’ on…..

34. By Lynn on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Darren:

Just when did his relapse occur? It seems incredulous to think the Owner(s), GM, Coach, or anyone else involved with the draft, would ignore the ramifications of his indiscretions had they known prior to the draft, especially when the penalties are automatic. If they did and chose not to draft or trade players or picks within the draft to address the situation, then we got what we deserve. As for #58, we’ve been through the shame on you, shame on me scenario, so lets take a page from the old Brooklyn Dodger, Walter O’Malley/Buzzie Bavasi credo, get rid of him, it’s called addition by subtraction.

35. By J. Ratti on May 30, 2014 | Reply

What a total waste.I was so excited going into this year he just killed it for me.I know all is not lost but can the organization ever be allowed to turn the corner from past failures and move ahead with smooth sailing.Last year Coop breaks his leg (out for year) now this just when everything seemed so right.He is one of the most talented players on a great defense if not the best.To everyone saying just cut him and move on its not that easy to replace a player of his caliber.Its just a damn shame this guy is such an ass,If I was lucky eneough to have a life like any professional athelete has I would kiss the ground every morning and thank god for everything I have,but these guys continue to abuse and not appreciate what they have.It kills me to say this but we must cut ties with him now.Never mind its only marijuana you just don’t do it period he must be a mindless idiot who has now put a huge question mark on us all going into the season.Thanks D.Wash apology not accepted hit the road and I hope you are never allowed to play anywhere again.

36. By azqfan on May 30, 2014 | Reply

I love the way he plays football, but he should never play in a Cards uniform again, period. One of the things I love about this organization is they do not tolerate this type of behavior. He is now a confessed woman beater and drug addict. Please do no sugar coat it, he is an addict. He knew he was being tested, meaning he is either an addict or just too stupid to realize his situation. Either way, goodbye Darryl. I’d say good luck, but I am not sure you deserve it.

37. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on May 30, 2014 | Reply

We were blindsided .. but perhaps should not have been. I surely did not see it coming, yet indisuptuble medical reseach (dude, not blowing smoke, Journal of Neuroscience) shows (regardless of its legalization in some states) marijuana is changes the brain, impacting mood, behavior and emotions such as ambition, socilaization and ability to concentrate and learn. Other studies suggest its addictive. He’s annecdotally an addict… no guarantee he ever returns, better forgotten until he shows on the field in a regular season game… Lets’ go Larry Foote, maybe Demens can surprise.

“This study suggests that even light to moderate recreational marijuana use can cause changes in brain anatomy,” said Carl Lupica, PhD, who studies drug addiction at the National Institute on Drug Abuse…”

38. By Darren Urban on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Jsoully —

RE: Roster spot

39. By Darren Urban on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Lynn —

RE: Relapse

My guess is that the team didn’t find out until very recently.

40. By justin on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Too bad 11-5 wouldnt get us in the playoffs lol

41. By Bobby on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Certainly hope we have someone that can fill his shoes. I don’t really know much about Larry Foote or anyone else on the depth chart. I banked on D-Wash and Minter holding up the interior, now I don’t know what to think.

42. By Andrew on May 30, 2014 | Reply

This is just atrocious behavior. The guy is among the most underrated, impactful players in the league and he just crushed the hopes of many that bleed Big Red. No he can’t be cut because he is just so talented on the field but at the same time if he is going to do things like this to make himself unavailable than why even bother. I know deep down everyone in AZ wants to love you so much but darn you for putting us all in this position. Actions speak louder than words so what I say may come off harsh but I will still support you through your personal transgressions. I hope Cards Nation does the same. For me, my support is unconditional but for many if you don’t get your act together 100% from here on out, youre through.

You owe a Serious, unadulterated, very sincere apology to everyone. That is the first step. But don’t sit here and try and throw out some BS statement that is going to fall on deaf ears during a time where everyone you have affected is still in shock from your behavior. Like I said, Actions speak louder than words. Saying something today isn’t going to alleviate the situation as it will be looked at as just a form of fire-control from the the public backlash. Do I expect him to walk door to door with apologies and financial restitution to all of Cards nation? of course not but man is this very destructive towards at minimum the all important 2014 season (home Super Bowl) and possibly into 2015 once the Domestic dispute gets handed out.

Most fans will ultimately love him more for what he does on the field so when that day comes (and I hope he’s still in a Cardinal uniform at that time) he better have a major impact. I’m saying like 5 Tackles for Loss, 2 INT’s, 3 Sacks, etc. all in the first game. That is the type of motivation and production he can achieve if he is willing to and considering he has already broken many hearts of Cards-supporters, I think its that type of production that will be required to mend the situation that he screwed up in the first place.

43. By louis on May 30, 2014 | Reply

please forgive washington he made a mistake . if anyone is to blame ,blame the front office they knew about washington they should sign dansby .

44. By glenn993 on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Washington knew the rules and broke the rules. He deserves his suspension.

However, the fact is, using marijuana is quite benign. It is so benign that many states have moved to decriminalize its use (In 7 states use is not a criminal offense, but against the law (similar to minor speeding penalties), in 2 states the recreational use is legal and is legal for medical use in 16 states. It offers no performance advantage on the football field of which I am aware.

It’s time to stop testing and punishing football players for its use.

45. By Duane Spencer on May 30, 2014 | Reply

While I am as disapointed as any of you, I feel I must say this… I am a recovering drunk and druggie.. and believe me when I say that there are so many up and downs in recovery…..Heck, my last relapse was 3 weeks short of 10 years sober….it’s not ez, and with Daryl having a great deal of $ and probably a lot of hangers on around him….I would be very willing to give him another chance but with some strict, very very strict rules and an off the field life pretty much under the control of the team and some responsible people.

As far as the domestic issue is concerned, everything I’ve heard about (admit that what I’ve heard is second hand)…it is next to nothing compared to the Ray Rice issue in Baltimore….. but the big damage from that wasn’t to her collarbone (can’t think of another way to put that, and I apologize) but to his reputation and so anything else he does for the rest of his life will be exacerbated by that reputation…. some of the vile things I’ve read on Reddit and around make him sound like he his worse than Jack the Ripper….. He’s not..he is just a kid (I’m old enough that anyone under 30 is a kid to me) that has been able to skate by a lot of real world stuff because of his talent and God given gifts….now he has to be an adult and it won’t be ez for him…..

There, enough preaching ;-) feel free to flame me all you want…

46. By Louisville Card on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Darren ,

Since the suspension is indefinite. If the cards decide to cut him next year if he isn’t reinstated will there be a dead money issue? Or will that be excused because of the circumstances?

47. By MikeT on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Paris Lenon is sitting in his home a few miles away from the Cardinals Training Facility. I say bring the guy in for some added depth at ILB. At the very least he would provide some additional leadership for the other young ILBs.

48. By infitzwetrust on May 30, 2014 | Reply

I wonder how state laws or federal laws dictate what employers can and can’t do to employees.

Colorado legalized marijuana for recreational use and I’m just curious how that affect the broncos in terms of the NFL’s policies.

Does the NFL’s policies override this in certain cases?

49. By T. Stone on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Nothing more to say about this disappointing bird. Last two sentences I’ll ever waste talking about D. Wash.

50. By Darren Urban on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Louis —

RE: Dansby

Except they didn’t know about Washington, at least not when Dansby left. Yet you have no problem trying to throw falsehoods out there.

51. By Darren Urban on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Louisville —

RE: Cap charges

I’m not sure how the cap in impacted with all the different ways this can go.

52. By Darren Urban on May 30, 2014 | Reply

infitz —

RE: Policy

Yes, it overrides it in all cases. This is a collectively bargained part of the agreement between union and league.

53. By Dr. G. on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Darren –

I know, you are barraged with questions on this disaster… good work responding.

1st… As for the bonus, do you know how much of it is guaranteed, and does it take a suit to have some of it returned? Or is this bonus automatically returned or even paid out yet? I made a guess that a large chunk of it went to the x-trapper in a civil action not to be seen again.

2nd… Is there an NFL//NFLPA agreement that he will be tested all during this 2014 suspension so that he cannot toke up all year and clean up just in time for the reinstatement appeal? Thanks for your efforts….

Editorial comment for some – For those who think weed is OK, the point is that it is illegal, and until that changes, we must live by the law…. And no, this would not work in Colorado, it’s the FEDS that dictate here…. Be well….

54. By Darren Urban on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Answers

I am working to try and get a blog post with some of this info.

55. By Boston John on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Any Chance they would bring in Jonathan Villma? Paris Lenon had some really poor grades last yr?

56. By C Ward on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Well, it’s all about priorities and obviously smoking weed was a higher priority than playing football. Daryl, I cannot tell you how disappointed I am in you. It is amazing that someone with as much talent as you have would rather get stoned than be a “player” for our team.

57. By Hammy on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Daryl had all the potential in the world to be considered one of the best linebackers in the league. As much of a good player he is, I dont want him on this team anymore. Has a lot to prove as a person outside of football. We dont need players that are selfish and truely dont put the team first. Washington good luck in free agency next year. NEXT MAN UP!

58. By Jerry on May 30, 2014 | Reply

I know this is a shock to everyone but the Cards are a strong team and they have a great staff and will find an outstanding replacement. Don’t lose hope, we still will have an outstanding year. I’m sure Todd Bowels already has an idea on the replacement. Still superbowl bound.

59. By krehbieo14 on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Obviously, his love for weed is greater than his love for football, his teammates, coaches and fans. He has betrayed us all with stupidity. Character issues are so important in creating team chemistry and passion for the game. Let’s move on from DWash. We’ll all do better without him!

60. By Dave Chaney on May 30, 2014 | Reply

There have been tons of comments so far so I’m not going to say much. Only that on one side of the coin I feel sorry for Daryl Washington. He’s a human being and like all of us, he is flawed. On the other side I also have to think about what would happen to one of us if we did the same thing on our jobs and obviously we haven’t made hundreds of thousands of $$ to help cover our expenses while we are out of work. Just a sad state of affairs for the Cardinals, from the ownership on down to the fans in the stands. Whatever happens, I wish Daryl the best and hope he can recover from his mistakes.

61. By eric randall on May 30, 2014 | Reply

62. By ored on May 30, 2014 | Reply

now it becomes clear why he was so sure of a suspension lately,he knew all along this was going to rear it’s ugly head and nothing he could do would change that.just amazes me when people know the consequences and still go right ahead,does’nt matter whether it was for a job paying 30k or millions…damn the consequences.he could of at least told keim we better match the dansby offer.but the other side if the coin is somebody now gets the opportunity to step up,here’s hoping we find that person and that bowles is up to the task of scheming the defense for this.the season just became even more interesting,seahawks and 9ers down a notch,rams up a notch,and now we get to see how we respond.

63. By CreditCard on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Card Fans: All is not lost. He is replaceable. Management is working on a plan right now to find inside linebackers. Keep in mind, many of the heroics of Dansby and Washington is attributed to Dumpster Dan and Ta’amu.

We have two great nose tackles that demand double-teaming. They hold the line of Scrimmage and push back the inner portion of the pocket. This allows a LB to roam freely. We’ll find good replacements, and by the first game, Washington will be long forgotten

64. By alan on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Never thought he should have received the 10 million bonus. At least it should have been renegotiated due to the uncertainty…

65. By Dr. G. on May 30, 2014 | Reply

Let’s consider something not mentioned as yet. If the defense is a bit different in their approach, I still see this team to be at least as successful as last year.

Our OFFENSE is certainly going to be better with all the changes for improvement, the experience gained in 2013, and the new players coming in to contribute.

That is……. If the Defense gives up a little more than last year, the Offense will make up any difference plus some. It is the Offense’s turn to crank it up now that we know what we are doing. I look to see this team score some serious points this year…. Nope, Not worried a bit. One man a team does not make… I’m OK…You’re OK… Later

66. By Coach K on May 30, 2014 | Reply

CUT THIS BUM NOW. NO DEBATING. JUST CUT THIS HUMAN WASTE NOW.

67. By Dobie on May 30, 2014 | Reply

I like what Arians says next man up and a lot of times the next man up does just as good or better that the one he replace one man is not the team they will surprise you they will be some guys that will bring it up a notch all is not lost

Dobie

68. By dkerry5242 on May 31, 2014 | Reply

The Cards always seem to be the last ones to recognize a problem and prepare for it. The players all knew there was a problem, how could management not know? They should have drafted a linebacker. This is just another reason why the organization will never be great.

69. By Bob Garland on May 31, 2014 | Reply

It’s time to add someone that acts like an adult, values being a teammate and BA has had experience with…lets go get Pat Angerer. Won’t be another Washington but at least you can count on him to do the right thing.

70. By louis on May 31, 2014 | Reply

let’s stop talking and get him the proper help he needs and support him any way we need to and act like real cards fans.

71. By Rugbymuffin on May 31, 2014 | Reply

D-Waste.

He got our support and help last time. This time he is on his own.

Sooner he can be off this team the better. This is not a family, its a business, he should be fired.

Only a spoiled brat moron would waste the opportunity that he has been given multiple times over.

72. By dan on May 31, 2014 | Reply

Daryl Washington……………blah blah blah, I don’t trust a word this guy says………..cut the chord.

73. By jbrooks on May 31, 2014 | Reply

If Daryl is going to change his act he needs to be the one putting some kind of therapeutic program together and holding himself accountable for receiving regular treatment. Of course the Cards organization could put everything on a plate for him, and surely he would attend what ever they asked him to, but that wouldn’t improve his development or his self-discipline. He needs to be the one setting up the schedule of mandatory meetings with the organization, the meetings with a therapist, putting in the request for random drug testing. Step up, Daryl, and show everyone that being an NFL athlete is something you really want and not something everybody else wants you to be. I’d rather not believe your prefrontal cortex is damaged beyond repair…

74. By Brad oneill on May 31, 2014 | Reply

Those of you saying next man up just don’t have a clue as to how fast and agile this guy was. There isnt another player like him he is the best in the league at what he does. Will the team implode or ahould we give up on the season absolutely not, but this was a blow to a team that was almost there. This hurts the team, it hurts the fans and it hurts football.
    My hope is he is replaced with an over achiever like Pat Tillman a guy that always gives everything he has a guy you can root for on the field and in life. A guy you can point to your children and say that man is who you want to be like because he gets it.

Go Cards!

75. By Davemaham on May 31, 2014 | Reply

Daren, Will Hill was also in stage three, he was only suspended six games in 2014. Hill, like Washington was suspended for the first four games in 2013. It seems that the one year suspension is up to the league. As if that is worse case scenario, if the league chooses to enforce it. I just don’t understand why Washingtons suspension is an entire year, while Hill, on his third incident, is only suspended for six games. Could the team possibly have influence on the decision?

76. By Darren Urban on Jun 1, 2014 | Reply

Davemaham —

RE: Hill

I can’t speak for Hill’s deal. I know little about it. But no, the team isn’t influencing the decision. There is no conspiracy here.

77. By Mike Ellingboe on Jun 1, 2014 | Reply

Eric,

“Well Darren, In retrospect I’m sure my pre draft rants about drafting CJ Mosely don’t seem so ridiculous anymore , do they??????”

Considering he was drafted before we had a chance at him, it seems pointless to mention it.

78. By clssylssy on Jun 6, 2014 | Reply

I read where Arians was done with Washington so we all know that means, he’s effectively done in a Cards uniform. Paying him the bonus was not “GM of the year” performance by Keim so as far as hurting the team, I would say that was not a genius move when he knew that Washington was dealing with off field issues. He tested positive for marijuana during the offseason so hardly as serious as Jim Irsey’s misstep or the entire Dolphins mess last season that got Incognito suspended but a wink and a nod for the front office brass and coaches. D Washington is an amazing player and one of our division rivals will pick him up in a heartbeat and with open arms (probably the Seahawks or 9ers), he will get his ring and the Cards will still be signing no-names and searching for their”diamond in the rough” . The Player’s Union needs to pressure the NFL to revisit the program they had back in the 90’s to get help for players exhibiting signs they were struggling with issues off the field that would effect their ability to do their job. It’s
    unfortunate but not the end of the world! GO CARDS!

79. By Bronc Holmquest on Jun 9, 2014 | Reply

I have been thinking about this for a while. D wash has made a lot of mistakes.We all have.Tyran M. Is right ,the only way out for D Wash is with the Lord. The high he needs is on the Lord.I know you have heard it before. But I can say as a Veit Nam era Marine,who has thought of even ending my own life.It is one ride you won’t want to come off from plus no hang over. Just try it D.it can’t be any worse . Pastor Bronc H.

2. May 30, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | Dockett tweets optimism