Sims and the quest to adjust

Posted by Darren Urban on June 3, 2014 – 12:22 pm

The Cardinals brought in, after his visit last week, veteran linebacker Ernie Sims Tuesday. It was necessary after the Daryl Washington suspension. Sims might be most famous around these parts as being the somewhat surprising draft pick of the Detroit Lions at No. 9 in the 2006 draft — leaving Matt Leinart for the Cardinals to take at No. 10. Now he’s an option in the Washington void.

Sims struggled last season in Dallas. He’s been with four teams in each of the past few years, going from the Lions in 2009 to the Eagles in 2010 to the Colts in 2011 to the Cowboys in 2012. After two seasons, now he’s a Cardinal. I don’t think in any way this is an end-all be-all addition to make up for Washington’s departure. GM Steve Keim is going to keep looking for linebacking help. It may come. It may not. This might be the pool of linebackers the Cardinals select from for 2014. There is a reason, for instance, Larry Foote was signed before Sims (below, wearing No. 52, with fellow inside linebacker Keenan Clayton). He’s probably going to be higher on the depth chart. We’ll see where Lorenzo Alexander ends up when he comes back healthy. I think Kenny Demens has a chance to make an impact too.

Regardless, the Cardinals will make their adjustments one way or the other. Sims is the first move toward that.

SimsForBlogUSE

Tags: , ,

67 Responses to “Sims and the quest to adjust”

1. By Nor cal cards fan on Jun 3, 2014 | Reply

Urb – You mentioned Kenny Demens..i’ve been hearing his name quite a bit lately as somebody who could make some noise. Is there any chance you might be able to do an article on him and his potential for making the team, seeing as how he was on the practice squad last year..?

2. By Bobby on Jun 3, 2014 | Reply

Who was cut to make room for Sims?

3. By Darren Urban on Jun 3, 2014 | Reply

Nor Cal —

RE: Demens

Likely.

4. By Darren Urban on Jun 3, 2014 | Reply

Bobby —

RE: Sims

No one. Washington was suspended.

5. By krehbieo14 on Jun 3, 2014 | Reply

You just keep churning the roster until you hit the play button. No one player on a quality team is indispensable. Not to worry.

6. By iammattyoung on Jun 3, 2014 | Reply

I’m actually pretty excited about this acquisition. I really liked Ernie Sims out of college, and was hoping that Cards would take him. While Sims hasn’t exactly lived up to his high draft status, I think that he fits the profile of what the Cards needed to replace Daryl Washington: an “undersized” guy with good speed who hits hard. I think he’s going to do better in this system than people expect.

7. By jeffgollin on Jun 3, 2014 | Reply

If Urlacher were to un-retire, should we be interested (despite signing Sims)?

8. By NJAzCardsFan on Jun 3, 2014 | Reply

Darren- Any chance the Cards bring in Vilma for a tryout?

9. By D on Jun 3, 2014 | Reply

The LB corp is getting older…safe to say next year will be big in the 2015 draft for both OLB and ILB.

10. By Scott H on Jun 3, 2014 | Reply

Ok, signing Sims certainly doesn’t hurt. It’s not like there is a straight-up replacement out there for Daryl Washington at this point, so…we’ll see. He hasn’t really done much to distinguish himself during his career to this point, but that doesn’t mean there’s nothing there. Hey, at least he’s still playing, which is more than we can say for Leinart! Who knows? Maybe we’ll get something out of that draft yet.

I am still just SO absolutely disgusted with Washington. Almost as disgusted as the timing of it all, which resulted in Karlos Dansby being gone before the bomb dropped. For whatever price may have been necessary to keep him here, it would look like a BARGAIN right now. Damn….

11. By Steve88 on Jun 3, 2014 | Reply

Urlacher???Huh………………Is Dick Butkus willing to play for the minimum?

12. By sbrown on Jun 3, 2014 | Reply

don’t forget that the Cards lost three linebackers all in the same game last year, ( Acho, Okafor and Alexander ) that they all three are back along with Minter, all in the mix for playing time this season. Plenty of “youth” in Acho, Okafor and Minter…not to worry about age in the LB room right now.

13. By Big Ken on Jun 3, 2014 | Reply

Don’t all the teams have like 90 players currently? There are going to be some ILB’s shaken loose.

14. By br on Jun 3, 2014 | Reply

ILB should be our #1 priority in next yrs draft, I would think our rd#1 pick will be ILB (if there is one out there worthy of a first rd pick) if not, RT would be our #1a priority depending on how Sowell or Massie perform this yr, personally I think Sowell is going to slide over to RT and surprise alot of people, as posted earlier this is a make or break season for both Massie & Housler in my humble opinion, they either breakout in training camp and have monster preseasons or they will get cut before this season starts. I dont see the Cards keeping Dwash under any circumstances, his next failed test is a lifetime ban if im not mistaken. It is time to cut our loses and let Dwash go, no player is bigger than the team, he will be a huge cancer in the locker room, we have to remember he is hurting his teammates the most out of everyone he has letdown, from front office, family, coaching staff, owner and us fans, the top of that list is his teammates!

I like the Sims signing, hopefully he can pull it together and rejuvinate (again I know I cant spell) his career, Mr Dockett will push him to excel with both being Seminoles (overlap of one yr at Florida ST I think) DD will keep him motivated and push him hard.

15. By georgiebird on Jun 3, 2014 | Reply

Hate to bring this up- again.
    The lynchpin of the 3-4 defense are big, mobile linebackers. The Cardinals have been a linebacker challenged teams for more than half a century.
    Bottom line- Cards should have never gone to a 3-4 defense several years ago.

16. By CreditCard on Jun 3, 2014 | Reply

The new “Daryl Washington” type abilities is Ogletree in St. Louie.

Kudos for mgmt. looking at additional players at ILB. The Cards really are trying to be a competitive winning team. Lots of time before the season starts. The other teams in our division will have injuries and mishaps.

The team with the least amount of injuries and suspended players will win the division. I think the talent between all four teams is that close.

I’m personally worried about the Rams more than the Seahawks and 9ers.

17. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Jun 3, 2014 | Reply

It is POSSIBLE that Minter comes in and pancakes anyone who comes into the middle of the field, that Foote comes back like Abramson and that Demens becomes a demon inside. We MIGHT turn a previosuly fast inside LB corp into a hurting place to play for the oppositon…just thinking out loud. Thoughts?

18. By eric on Jun 3, 2014 | Reply

My bet is on Lorenzo making an impact when he gets back, maybe even as the starting back opposite Minter. Arians and Bowles talk about him too much for it not to happen.

19. By Dr. G. on Jun 3, 2014 | Reply

The Cowboys!!! 8-8 in the worst division in the NFL… Sims was not given proper opportunity, coaching and backing. This guy will not believe how much better it will be playing with a “TEAM” concept instead of having Jones continuing to screw everything up… colloquially, Jones is a bum. And Sims will throw a party after he becomes acclimated to the Cards Real Deal….

20. By Mark G. on Jun 3, 2014 | Reply

How has Glen Carson been looking thus far? I’m a Penn State fan and Carson was a solid linebacker while he was in college.

21. By mdcards4life on Jun 4, 2014 | Reply

IMO i think next year’s draft the Cards are going to draft an ILB if not two. I believe they will move on from Wash and rebuild that position.

22. By Big Ken on Jun 4, 2014 | Reply

I don’t know if he would be a fit for our team, but would the Cardinals trade for Brandon Graham of the Philadelphia Eagles?

23. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Jun 4, 2014 | Reply

Apololgy to Abraham, wrote Abramson, stud LB.

24. By hminus on Jun 4, 2014 | Reply

Sure D-wash let us down,& i am disappointed…but the marijuana policy the NFL is working under is antiquated & unrealistic,i blame the league more than i blame D-wash for this.

25. By Mike Ellingboe on Jun 4, 2014 | Reply

Georgie,

And yet they were still the league’s #1 rush defense last season. I’d say the scheme fit.

26. By Mike Ellingboe on Jun 4, 2014 | Reply

Patrick,

Maybe, but that’s a lot of variables at play. The major flaw, as I see it, is Abraham was coming off a 10 sack season when we got him, Atlanta just screwed up in their timing. Foote missed basically all of last season with an injury, and while he was still productive the season before it’s hard to imagine that there’s much left in the tank at this point in his career. But I’m all for FA lightning to strike twice for us.

I don’t think it’s a stretch at all for Minter to become a star. He’s a second round pick out of LSU, both of which make for a strong resume. Demens? Again, who knows? When the Steelers picked up Harrison (3x) off the scrap heap nobody was penciling in a star either. Again, a few big if’s but none of it is without precedent. I do have to reiterate, for I think a third time in various posts, that we’re not replacing, in full, what we’re losing with DWash being out. Fortunately, the rest of the “D” is stacked enough to where it should be our only obvious projected weakness, and that has to make Bowles’s life a little easier than if it were multiple positions.

Hopefully your scenario plays out in full, but at the least I expect Minter to fill one departure very capably.

27. By xBIGxMx on Jun 4, 2014 | Reply

No doubt that D-Wash will be missed but I don’t believe he is not replaceable. Our defense is good and I believe that it takes the whole Defense to make each player shine. Would D-Wash or Dansby still be as good if Dockett, Campbell and Williams didn’t do their job up at front or Peterson, Tyrann and the secondary didn’t do theirs? Dansby didn’t have his “pro-bowl season” until he came to the Cards. With Foote, Minter, Acho, Sims and any other LB that BA choses, I still see a SuperBowl win in our own backyard. GO CARDS! Thanks Darren!

28. By georgiebird on Jun 4, 2014 | Reply

The signing of Sims is a joke. We’re trying to get ahead of the two best teams in the NFL. DWash was worked over in the SF and Seattle games- what is Sims going to do?
    “Speedy and undersized” doesn’t cut in when playing the best teams.

29. By Darren Urban on Jun 4, 2014 | Reply

georgie —

RE: “Joke”

Who are you signing in June? Just curious.

Keep in mind Patrick Willis is already on a team.

30. By C on Jun 4, 2014 | Reply

Signing Sims is a “best available” move. Trying to get ahead of SEA & SF won’t happen with any June signing.

Is there a feel about Alexander being able to fill some of the interior gap? I know he’s coming back from Lis Franc, but I always thought he fit better on the interior of this defense than the experimentation at edge rusher last year. Wondered if that was thought or discussed as part of the Washington suspension?

31. By Darren Urban on Jun 4, 2014 | Reply

C —

RE: Alexander

Lorenzo himself said he thinks his strong suit is as an ILB.

32. By joannamcgrath on Jun 4, 2014 | Reply

Georgie,

Several silly comments but the silliest has got to be that the Cardinals should never have switched to the defensive scheme they use.

I’m not even going to rebut that, I just want to point out the fact that this is something you actually wrote.

33. By georgiebird on Jun 4, 2014 | Reply

Darren
    re: “joke”
    Hopefully, we’re signing practice team players.in June.

34. By Coach K on Jun 4, 2014 | Reply

We need to trade Housler for a quality inside backer. Washington is done as a Cardinal and will probably end up on the streets in ten years.

35. By scott023 on Jun 4, 2014 | Reply

With the coaching staff we have, you can bet your bottom dollar the next and best man will be up for ilb. We are stacked in most areas. Are offense is on track to run over teams this year, the only area I worry about is we don’t kick off deep enough. We give up field position, we need a deep kicker, period. We have the defense to shut them down and the offense to light up the score board. Just weak in the kick offs. Three kickers in camp, it is a start.

36. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Jun 5, 2014 | Reply

Good post Mike. Lorenzo is the x factor at ILB, his slow healing worries me. But I recall watching Foote a couple games and thinking; “damn I wish he were a Cardinal”, so late in career but a year of rest can completely refresh your body; he knows Bowles style, smart/anticipation accounts for a slower step… we’ll see. Dansby was a step slow but the system allowed him to flourish, he simply was always in the right place, playing his spot and his role … so this is “possible” :)

37. By krehbieo14 on Jun 5, 2014 | Reply

If I thought we could wrap up a “quality” LB by trading Housler I’d be on board!

38. By br on Jun 5, 2014 | Reply

I also like Sima coming out of FL State, but Im thanful the Lions drafted him (pretty much a bust to this point, but we didnt do much better, our “savior” from USC with the very next pick was a bust as well) hopefully Sims can rejuvinate, agian I was never spelling bee champion, his career with Cards!) Talking with some diehard Cowgirl fans he didnt completely fail when the moved him to ILB/Middle Linebacker for them, he adjusted better than most of them thought he would, he is still adjusting so hopefully we will see marked improvement as off-season progresses and he will be a solid cog in our defense (at the very least) by the time the real march to the Super Bowl begins!!

39. By br on Jun 5, 2014 | Reply

Hey, Butkus could probably pull it off!! GO ILLINI!!!!!!!! :-)

40. By br on Jun 5, 2014 | Reply

sbrown,
    Only problem is all the names you mention (with the exception of Minter) are OLB/Pass Rushers, our ILB corps is getting a little lon in the tooth, using football years.

41. By br on Jun 5, 2014 | Reply

Georgiebird
    Yea its not like the 3-4 has been top notch these past few yrs…#1 against the run, #6 overall, yep i would say trash the whole dang defense…hey, lets go to the 4-4 or maybe we can convert to an old high school favorite 6-2 or 5-3 defense! Cmon gbird, I hope you were making a joke (a very bad one at that!) Our defense is one of the very best in the NFL, the very last thing we need to do is switch to a 4-3 and the next to last thing we needed to do was stay with the 4-3 of yrs past!!

42. By br on Jun 5, 2014 | Reply

CreditCard —

Im with you on that one!! Posted awhile back that I think the Rams have improved the most this off season, and im talking NFL wide, not just the NFC BEST! Rams, Browns, and Buccaneers are the teams that improved the most, or at least added the most keys to be successful, in my humble opinion! A huge amount of the Rams improvement is thanks to the Redskins handing them all the picks they wanted, plus some, all for RGIII, lets all say it together….Thank You Deadskins!!!

43. By br on Jun 5, 2014 | Reply

mdcards4life —

Here, Here!! Big thumbs up on that one, posted almost the same thoughts the other day. Just not so sure there are any ILB’s worthy of a 1st or even 2nd rd pick next year, I dont see many standing out from last year that returned to college. I realize they still have this season to make a name for themselves, but most 1st rd picks are talked about from their Freshman year on, obviously there are some worthy ILB’s in college worthy of a high pick, but none come right to mind, prpbably my old age!! Anyone have any names that have impressed them for next yrs draft at ILB??
    One name I will toss out is Mason Monheim/Illinois (yes a little hometeam die hard fan bias) but the kid has really been impressive, read up on him if you get a chance.
    I hope J. Brown/Illinois impresses the Cards staff enough to at least make the practice squad, but as much as I love my ILLINI i do realize they are not all future NFL superstars.

44. By br on Jun 5, 2014 | Reply

Mike Ellingboe —

As i posted in my reply above, im hoping he was being sarcastic, or that was just a bad attempt at humor!

45. By br on Jun 5, 2014 | Reply

hminus
    The policy is that devils lettuce is illegal and banned from use in the NFL. Not difficult to understand in my opinion. How is it outdated, it is illegal and banned, seems pretty cut and dry (no pun intended) the policy is a good one and is very up to date, no can smoke, notta, none, zero, seems pretty straight forward to me, and hundreds of NFL players as well.

46. By br on Jun 5, 2014 | Reply

georgibird,
    I too would like to know your glorious plan, you need to bring a plan if you are going to post negative junk, on here, would also like to see your 4-3 “plan” as well, I’ll wait.
    On a side note, im not sure I have ever seen a positive posting out of you yet, if you are a true Cardinal fan I would think there has to be something positive you could drum up for the True Cardinal faithful. Jus one positive post would be nice.

47. By Dr. G. on Jun 5, 2014 | Reply

Darren – Are you getting any feel for the QB’s behind Palmer either by observations or interviews? When Thomas gets much of the pre-season game snaps, that should be a tell…no?

hminus – You are making an absurd point from naivete. You may go to a cannabis forum for your debate. If you had read some of the prior posts here, things would be clear for you.

georgie – Do you get that these signed camp contracts can be cancelled with no liability? As Darren intimated to you, all the better players that are released from the other teams won’t happen until the rosters trim to 75 and 53 . We could get some additions then…with Keim’s quick trigger!

CoachK – Unfortunately, I agree that this may be Washington’s Waterloo.

br – Butkus… That’s rich…. Semper Fi…

48. By Scott H on Jun 5, 2014 | Reply

After reading all of these, all I can say is I have no idea who Sima and Abrahamson are but I sure hope they can play. And I still have no idea why anyone thinks Housler can bring us a quality ILB in a trade. Where the hell was I when Housler achieved this kind of value??? Must have missed that season between 2012 and 2013…

Big Ken – I don’t know if Brandon Graham would solve any problems here. Who knows, maybe he would. I can tell you that there a LOT of Eagles fans who would happily give him up. Not sure that speaks very well of him. Eagle fans will NEVER forgive their front office for drafting Graham when Earl Thomas was available. Can’t say I blame them for that.

49. By John The Draft Guy on Jun 5, 2014 | Reply

br,

RE; 6-2, 5-3 defenses.

When I coached in Texas, there was a team that was very successful running a 6/1 defense. The dline lined up in the 1,3,5 gaps with the middle LB as a flex over the center 3 yards off the ball. then they ran all types of twist and zone coverages so you never knew who was coming except you could usually expect that MLB to fly through one of the gaps to be on your QB quickly.

If well coached and the right personnel, any defense can work. for some reason Georgie has a very limited view of defenses. Defenses evolve and are built in a way to exploit weaknesses in the offense. Whether they are 4-3 or 3-4. .

Sometimes, if you have corners who can play press, you load up the box and do exotic blitzes and stunts to fill running lanes and get to the QB. The front you use varies to where the weakness is. But I would say, just like HS, there is no answer for a defense that can get pressure in the “A” gaps quickly. Dansby and DWash were very good at that. Hopefully, whoever is playing those two spots will get there too.

I would not be surprised to see Bowles gamble and get Bucannon close to the line and have him shoot those “A” gaps.

50. By sbrown on Jun 5, 2014 | Reply

br – ( and others ),
    here is a top 6 list of ILB that will be available in the 2015 Draft…
    thanks to SB Nation and CBS Sports .
    1. Danzel Perryman Miami 6’0″ 240lbs 108 tackles last season
    2. Ramik Wilson Georgia 6’2″ 235 133 tackles last season, led the SEC
    3. Eric Kendricks UCLA 6’0″ 228 lbs
    4. A.J. Johnson Tennessee 6’2″ 240 lbs
    5. Trey DePriest Alabama 6’2″ 245
    6. A.J. Tarpley Stanford 6’2″ 245

Perryman and Wolson might grade out to first round picks, from what I have read not a huge talented ILB class for the 2015 draft.

51. By Mike Ellingboe on Jun 6, 2014 | Reply

br,

He wasn’t. Whether the evidence backs it up or not, he’ll complain about our LB’s until we convert to a permanent dime package defense.

52. By Mike Ellingboe on Jun 6, 2014 | Reply

Patrick,

All valid points. I wouldn’t have predicted Dansby to play as well as he did. Of course, his play improved noticeably after DWash returned from his suspension, a luxury Foote won’t have, but considering the circumstances I think they’re doing what is realistically possible to fill the void. As they noted in one of the many articles Darren has posted, in the overall picture what it most likely means is going to more dime (or dollar packages, as they call it) defenses in obvious passing downs than nickel. We’ll be smaller but faster this year. Hopefully it works.

53. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Jun 6, 2014 | Reply

Mike:
    Agree, Bowles will have to outguess the OC on the pacakge more often and whomever is calling our adjustments preplay will have to be on his game. But wondering… does the D try to adjust preplay, but post D huddle? I see our D shift when the O shifts while QB is under center… may be automatic? just wondered if we otherwise call an adjustment? Would love to be in the huddle!

Darren: Do you know?

Didn’t know JohnTDG was a coach, cool.

Patrick

54. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Jun 6, 2014 | Reply

Btw, Quentin Groves on the market:

55. By Mike Ellingboe on Jun 6, 2014 | Reply

Patrick,

Everything at the NFL is so fluid and advanced that there’s no way for someone in the stands to know if what they’re doing is planned before the snap or after. We do know that Peterson will follow his match-up everywhere, and obviously can see before the snap if we’re lined up with 4 DL’s, 3 DL’s, how many LB’s, DB’s, etc. (one more reason to dismiss Georgie’s rants about what our base defense is, as it changes from down to down). But does a defense move around just to get a guy like Manning to audible, with the idea of going back to where they were when they broke the huddle, and vice-versa? You’d have to know Bowles personally to get specifics on that.

56. By br on Jun 7, 2014 | Reply

Georgiebird

Still waiting.

57. By br on Jun 7, 2014 | Reply

For sure not alot to choose from, ILB depth the past few drafts have been weak, looks like next year will be same old song and dance.

58. By br on Jun 7, 2014 | Reply

Scotth
    Sima obviously a typo on my part, I referred to him as Sims in the rest of my post. Typing on my phone is a challenge, the keys are so damn tiny! I will strive to do better in future posts sir. Sidenote, while sima was a simple typo I have noted many times on here that my spelling sucks, and that sir is NOT going to change…you will just have to stumble through my attempts at spelling, sorry! LOL!

59. By br on Jun 7, 2014 | Reply

JTDG…
    Im sure thoae HS defenses can be very effective with any creative mind throwing in alot of stunts and shifts and blitziing, but dont think a basic zone 6-2 or 5-3 would ever work in NFL, or nowadays College, or even big time HS programs, (the town I live in just won its 3rd straight 3A Championship, and they would never use those alignments andexpect to keep winning) There are only 3 highschools in the whole county here, one is by far the biggest at 4AA the other is 4A and we consistantly beat em every yr, the year before last we were 3A state champs, the other school was 4AA state Champs (2out of 3 schools in the county as state champs not to shabby.) We have produced players like Guy Whimper, Bruce Carter, Kevin Reddick, and have some more coming up, Corey Robinson/South Carolina, Pharoh Cooper/South Carolina, Derrell Scott/Tenn incomimg Freshman RB was a top 10 RB nationwide on most recruiting sites, Steve Spurrier is a regular in the stands here in our tiny town. Sorry, went on a rambling, but pretty proud of our football here! Point I was trying to make was in response to goergiebird making that stupid ( in my opinion) comment about Cardinals should have never threw out the 4-3 in favor of the 3-4. When I played decades ago, we played against teams that ran the option most all teams ran it, and the basic zone 6-2 or 5-3 worked ok (better than anything else, unless you had an option team that could actually throw the ball, which was not often, but if they could throw then we switched to a 4-4 defense which had alot of stunts and blitzing) but none of these defenses would work in NFL, Iwas trying to be sarcastic and ruffle his feathers a tad, that was it.

60. By br on Jun 7, 2014 | Reply

In my amateur opinion I just dont see Q. Groves making a sucessful move to ILB. Anybody else?

61. By cardsalltheway on Jun 8, 2014 | Reply

@ Darren…
    “Who are you signing in June? Just curious.”

Paris Lenon, MLB/linebacker: He was one of the favorite stories from Super Bowl week last year, the ultimate journeyman who wound up starting the big game. He should still be able to handle a team.

But, since we love former Steeler players…

James Harrison, linebacker: The one-time Defensive Player of the Year is looking for work as a role player. He fit in as a run-stopper last year in Cincinnati.

62. By Scott H on Jun 8, 2014 | Reply

br –

Hey, relax, I was just havin’ a little fun with the Sima thing! Wouldn’t have bothered if someone else hadn’t referred to Abrahms as Abrahamson ( which I thought was a far larger goof than yours’ ). No explanations needed, my friend. Shoot, I’m sitting here typing right now with glasses on because I can’t see the damn keyboard without them!

Let’s not worry about how to spell Sims, let’s just hope he can play!

63. By Mike Ellingboe on Jun 8, 2014 | Reply

Br,

I doubt anyone sees it (outside of Andy Kw), amateur or otherwise. He’s bounced from DE to OLB, completely different positions/skill sets from an ILB. He’s a decent pick-up for someone needing pass rushing depth, but that’s about it.

64. By Mike Ellingboe on Jun 9, 2014 | Reply

Not being critical of anyone’s ideas, as there really isn’t a solution to losing DWash, but what’s with all the recommendations for strong side ILB’s? Between Minter and/or Alexander I think we’re good there. With all due respect to them, where I’m seeing future problems is when Foote or Sims have to roam from sideline to sideline tracking down Kaepernick and Wilson, or running north and south with a guy like Vernon Davis. Run stoppers at that position we’ve got, speed and athleticism at weakside ILB is what’s in short supply (league-wide). Granted, Bowles will scheme to keep those match-ups from occurring as much as possible, but at some point it’s going to be exposed. Paris Lenon, James Harrison (a career OLB), Quentin Groves (DE/OLB convert), etc., aren’t anywhere near as close to a “solution” as Sims was.

A slightly more realistic hope is that Demens shocks the football world this year.

65. By br on Jun 9, 2014 | Reply

Scotth,
    I replied as a joke, and was throwing the sir’s in there as part of the joke, it would take alot more than someone telling me my spelling, and typing sucks to upset me, mainly because it is a true statement! But honestly the keys that pop up on my screen to post are just plain unrealistic, way to damg small, imposible to type with, just freaking crazy! But I was in NOway offended or upset, hope you didnt get the wrong idea, it was just my poor attempt at humor thats all. No worries.

66. By br on Jun 9, 2014 | Reply

Mike Ellingboe,
    Im also am convinced that Bowles will add schemes that will have our roolie SS Buchanon filling in as a hybrid ILB on passing downs or just to mix it up and add a tad bit of confusion, hasnt Buchanon played some Linebacker in College, or am I thinking of someone else??
    Paris Lenon gets my vote if we had to choose btwn Harrison, Groves, or Lenon, its Paris hands down! But I prefer they wait until preseason cuts and scour those first, I have seen Vilma’s name mentioned as well, just not sur how fresh Bountygate would be in the players minds, would it become a big media distraction if Cards signed Vilma, knowing how revered Kurt Warner is in birdland?

67. By Mike Ellingboe on Jun 10, 2014 | Reply

I’ll have to plead ignorance on Bucannon’s experience at LB, the few games I saw him in was strictly at Safety. I don’t think there’s any doubt they’ll go with six db’s in obvious passing situations, and that Bucannon will be the eighth man in the box, when necessary, which I don’t see happening very much with as good as our run defense is.

No question we’ll be fast enough to keep up with the better TE’s in the league, but will they be big enough to deal with them once the ball is in their hands? DWash brought both skill sets to the table, and it’s why he’ll be impossible to replace with one guy, or without a significant amount of scheming.

Vilma probably wouldn’t be bad, I don’t remember who but somebody else mentioned trading for Kevin Burnett, which wouldn’t be a bad idea at all, if Oakland is willing. Not the greatest against the run, but excellent in coverage and would probably be as close as we could realistically come to replacing some of what we lost in DWash at that position.