Camp ends, Coop’s recovery and some notes

Posted by Darren Urban on June 12, 2014 – 3:31 pm

It was a quiet end to minicamp today. I have my overall thoughts of the offseason posted Friday morning, but first a little cleanup following Bruce Arians’ last press conference until training camp in late July:

– Arians broke out one of his favorite themes for young players. “You give them exposure or they get exposed,” he said, and some were exposed this week. Still, there is time to make up for that.

– Jonathan Cooper is going to be the starting left guard and he should be a good one. But Arians stressed Cooper is not all the way back yet. The hope is that he will be for the opening of camp. It’s not that Cooper hasn’t been able to do everything this offseason after his broken leg. He has. Just not as well as he was when he got hurt last year.

“It’s obvious he’s not the athlete he was last year at this time and I wouldn’t expect him to be,” Arians said. “He has plenty of time to get there. He’s a first-round choice but far from a finished product.”

– Arians wants his players in better shape. “We’re not in condition to play for a championship right now,” he said, but since the first game that counts isn’t until Sept. 8, that too can come. The question is who can handle these next five weeks or so on their own to come back to camp ready to go.

– Often Arians talks about being able to play with the “noise,” and he’s not talking about the decibel level of 60,000 fans. “There is no noise out here right now, no helmets hitting, no shoulder pads cracking. Thats the noise I’m talking about.” That’s what separates the players from the pretenders, and that’s why the offseason can only determine so much about a team and it’s roster.

– Arians said he hopes rookie tight end Troy Niklas, with his broken hand, will be ready on the first day of training camp. If not, Niklas hopefully will be back when the pads go on, although that’s just a few days after camp opens. Interestingly, Arians said the Cards probably have too many legitimate tight ends to keep all. You figure, with the times Arians uses two and even three tight ends that the Cards will keep four — with the odds on Niklas, John Carlson, Jake Ballard and Rob Housler.

– Arians praised former Steelers running back Jonathan Dwyer for being able to catch the ball better than Arians remembered him doing in Pittsburgh. Dwyer can pass block, which is a big deal for BA in his offense. Such ability is a must, or at least, Arians said, “just get your ass kicked with dignity, you’ll be all right.”

47 Responses to “Camp ends, Coop’s recovery and some notes”

1. By D on Jun 12, 2014 | Reply

The media must love BA with his quotes, opposite of Whiz.

Appears there is good depth at TE, CB,RB and WR.

With the largest amount of Cap space going into Training Camp that I can remember, any thoughts on who on the roster a chunk of it will go to? Sounds quite on the PP talks…

2. By jason on Jun 12, 2014 | Reply

Just wondering if there has been any feed back so far on the new trainers and
    speed coach. Will their be a story in the future about the changes and impact they have been having? Thank you again for your coverage of the team it helps out
    here on the East coast.

3. By ored on Jun 12, 2014 | Reply

how about us doing the ass kicking instead.

4. By Darren Urban on Jun 12, 2014 | Reply

Jason —

RE: strength coaches

No plans for that as of now.

5. By steve88 on Jun 12, 2014 | Reply

Quotes are great and all and I love BA……..he’s awesome. But don’t forget
    Coach Whisenhunt took us to the super bowl…………THE SUPER BOWL!!!! And for that he should and will always have a special place in Cardinal history. Go CARDS!!!!

6. By NJAzCardsFan on Jun 12, 2014 | Reply

Darren- Who has the edge in the place kicking battle..?? Or is it too early to tell….

7. By Darren Urban on Jun 12, 2014 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: Kicking

Too early.

8. By br on Jun 12, 2014 | Reply

D,
    I would keep an eye on Carson Palmer, he he picks up where he left off and our O-line can just give him 1-1.5 more seconds to stand in the pocket and throw he will rip defenses apart and have a monster year, wouldnt be surprised if they use some of the cap to extend CP 1-2 more yrs. Though i dont forsee a mid yr extension in the headlines (both Cards and Carson will want to keep the focus on winning) wouldnt shock me if they verbally agree to extension but wait to put ink to paper until after SB. (of course if CP leads uss to the promised land im sure any verbal agreement will be forgotten and a new, bigger, much bigger extension will be hammered out.)

9. By br on Jun 12, 2014 | Reply

Steve88 —

Whiz…and Warner (or should it be the other way around????) took us to the Super Bowl.

10. By Garth Short on Jun 13, 2014 | Reply

Coach, you said that some of your players were not in good shape. How much of the blame for that do you place on your Strength and Conditioning coach?

11. By clssylssy on Jun 13, 2014 | Reply

Looking forward to Training Camp as it seems that the OTAs and Minicamp this year has been more of a rookie camp than complete team activities. While everyone is anxious to see how the rookies will translate into the NFL, as the days count down to the season, fans are wondering how the team will compare to last season’s and if we’re really going to be the threat that was forecasted earlier. I have to give credit to our veteran players, the coaches and the organization for the participation level of our players, unlike many other teams where veterans have chosen not to participate due to a variety of excuses(usually involving contract issues), in fostering a “team first” mentality.
    While I realize last year was Coach BA’s first as HC and he was understandably enthusiastic, he doesn’t seem to have that same energy this year and I wonder if it’s the level of play he’s seeing in the rookies and knowing that there will be more riding on them filling some of the key roles, he is feeling more pressure to exceed last year’s performance or the heat! While it’s great to be loved by the press for the snappy quips, at the end of the day it’s the playoffs and Superbowls that count (and don’t always mean a lot to an organization or the “fans” if the bottom falls as Coaches Vince Tobin and Ken Whisenhunt found out)! Let’s GO CARDS…LET’S FINISH WHAT WE STARTED LAST SEASON!

12. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Jun 13, 2014 | Reply

Darren: have you created a collection of these classic quips?

“just get your ass kicked with dignity, you’ll be all right.”

lol…made my day!

13. By BigAl on Jun 13, 2014 | Reply

Steve88
    Really? Is that what you think? So let me ask you Steve, after Kurt Warner retired,
    in the 6 years, Whisenpunt was here…what QB did he procure for this team?
    And how about that offensive line under the Wiz of Punt…this team was going backwards!
    Kurt Warner took us to the Super Bowl, w/players drafted & brought in here by the
    Denny Green regime! Don’t forget that! How can you take Levi Brown @ the 5th pick & leave Adrian Petersen sitting there! Opps! Not to mention Patrick Willis,
    Darrelle Revis, Marshawn Lynch…

14. By Mike Ellingboe on Jun 13, 2014 | Reply

@Big Al,

Let’s ask you then, what did Warner do here before Whisenhunt arrived?

We can ask what came first, the chicken or the egg all day long but no team gets to the Super Bowl on the contributions of one player or one person. As we learned, with the right guys Whisenhunt’s system could be absolutely brilliant. Without them, (and his lack of adjustability) was one of the of the most mind-numbing things to watch I’ve seen, and coming from a team that’s hired guys like Stallings, McGinnis, Ryan, etc., that’s saying a lot.

The highest highs we’ve seen to date, and the some of the lowest lows, were all a part of Whisenhunt’s time here, but we can’t pick and choose and say only one existed, or that someone else was responsible for his success. If so, why weren’t they in the Super Bowl when given a chance?

15. By Scott H on Jun 13, 2014 | Reply

Yeah, please, let’s not push Cooper along. Plenty of time before opening day. We already lost Washington for the season. Let’s not spend another season without Cooper. Looking forward to seeing a MUCH improved O-line with Coop and Veldheer in there.

Sorry if I got the spelling wrong there.

16. By BluePitt on Jun 13, 2014 | Reply

@ Mike Ellingboe,
    look up the stats Warner had one of the top rated passing O’s in the NFL every year he played even at Sun Devil when they played there! All Whiz did was put him in, he did the rest! And once Denny’s Players matured we went to the Super Bowl with the talent he brought! Whiz was just barley good enough to coach them to the top, and then let the “Core Players” be torn apart by Graves and in my opinion him self!!!!

17. By ored on Jun 13, 2014 | Reply

let’s hope we got all the bad news out of the way,now it’s up to players and coaches to show their stuff.

18. By JohnnyBluenose on Jun 13, 2014 | Reply

Steve88 and br…..Larry Fitzgerald had an awful lot to do with us getting to the Super Bowl. Let’s hope he can do it again. And I think Carson Palmer could enjoy a rebirth in Arizona much like Warner did. Much has been said about the good job Steve Keim has done. I think his best move was trading a sixth round draft pick and getting Palmer in return. Really, where would we be without Palmer?

19. By NYCardinals212 on Jun 14, 2014 | Reply

2005 Cardinals (Warner 2 – 8, McCown 3 – 3)
    Cmpl / Att / Yard (#1 ranked)
    TD (#12)
    TD% (#25)
    INT (#4)
    Yards per Att (#13)
    YPC (#17)
    YPG (#1)
    QB rating (#15)
    Sacks taken (#8)
    Point scored (#17)
    Points per game (#17)

I don’t know if I would call that having “one of the top rated passing O’s in the NFL”, unless its all about yards. The offense was given relatively great field position to open drives — being ranked #1 in punt and kick off returns. Yet, they couldn’t score points (the #32 rushing offense obviously didn’t help).
    In 10 games, Warner played pretty well even though he was sacked 23 times, but is TD / INT was 11 to 9. 2006, he only played 6 games, but his numbers were pretty similar (1 and 4 record, 6 TDs to 5 INTs). He had ball security issues, and he wasn’t playing like a top QB in a top offense. It wasn’t until the 2nd half of 2007 that he really started to play like he had in the past. I guess it was just a coincidence that was Whisenhunt’s first year coaching.

The fact is, they both credit each other. I would think the other 10 players on offense had a little something to do with it as well.

20. By Mike Ellingboe on Jun 14, 2014 | Reply

@BluePitt,

Was that before or after he was getting benched in favor of guys like McCown and Leinart?

You wanted me to look up stats? Ok, here you go:

Before Whisenhunt’s arrival: 2 seasons, 16 games played, 17 TD’s, 14 INT’s
    After Whisenhunt’s arrival: 3 seasons, 45 games played, 83 TD’s, 45 INT’s.

Stop revising history and saying all he had to do was put him in. If you followed the team at all back then you know there was a lot more to it than that. If that’s all it took then anyone, even Green, would have had us in the Super Bowl. Yes, his time after Warner was awful to watch, but it doesn’t change what it was when he had him.

21. By cardsalltheway on Jun 14, 2014 | Reply

Scott H
    It can’t be said enough, don’t rush injured players back especially those that have never played a Sunday NFL game. Get Nate Potter in the mix at left guard early in the season since there is a Watford/Massie battle at RT. Honey Badger isn’t expected to start game 1 so why is Cooper?

Is he promoting helmet hitting(children tell your mothers), perhaps he didn’t get the memo?

22. By br on Jun 14, 2014 | Reply

See my post above, IM convinced Palmer is just on good block from our On-line on pass plays away from having an MVP season, as well I only threw Warner in with Whiz because I don’t think one is as good as the other, they both needed.each other, Warner thrived. In Whiz’s system and Whiz’s system. worked to perfection with Warner running it, but it take more than a coach and a QB to get to the promise land, those two connecting put us over the hump. We obviously needed.more because we never made it back, I think now we have the “more”, only thing lacking is the Kline which is the key to both a strong running game and passing game, in my humble a run to the Superbowl all hinges on our oline. and now of course ILB is a source of concern ( thanks Swash!)

23. By br on Jun 14, 2014 | Reply

Sorry – Kline should read. Oline actually probably should look like the. O-line. This stupid phone is hard to type on and it has some stupid autocorrect or smomething where it keeps trying to anticipate my damn thoughts putting in words that have.no meaning in my conversation! IM to old for this technology bullcrap!! Just give me my M-4 a well trained TRAP team, a well maintained.helicopter. insert us close to the “target” and let me do my thing!! Damn cellphones! Damn Computers! Lol. ((IM working on my anger issues when it comes to technology, I promise guys!)

24. By Andy kw on Jun 14, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Will the Cardinals sign any other players in free agency? And if there is a possibility, what positions would they address?

25. By Darren Urban on Jun 14, 2014 | Reply

cardsalltheway —

RE: ?

You and Louis have redefined the word troll.

26. By Darren Urban on Jun 14, 2014 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: FA

I would be surprised if the Cards make moves before late July. This will be vacation time not only for players but coaches and front office too.

27. By cardsalltheway on Jun 14, 2014 | Reply

Who is Louis? I’m a newly defined “troll” because you don’t like how I interpret “no helmets hitting” and my simple response to it? A bit harsh I’d say, so I’ll just consider that you could be having a bad day.

28. By Dr. G. on Jun 14, 2014 | Reply

BA is a Gem… no doubt…and he comes with many grains of salt. I appreciate very much that his expectation of highly paid athletes needing to take responsibility for their own fitness and readiness at all times. Be ready, or be gone! Lovin’ it..

Steve88 – Warner took us to the Super Bowl… Whiz was on the bus…. When Warner became his own QB coach, that made the difference.

br – nothing is verbal in the NFL – And Keim wants to see how Thomas responds. Semper Fi.. And….Get a tablet with a big virtual keyboard… Your phone can be your WIFI Bluetooth hot spot…You’ll be OK…

Scott H – Cooper – Understandably, he must be a little edgy of additional injury…anyone would be. The champagne will bubble for him after some serious contact. Then, he will be “The Coooooooooop!”

ALL CARDS FANS – When I preview the current roster, and then drill down from 90 to about 46…There are ONLY about 7 SPOTS to complete the 53 man roster. So BA and Keim just have to get the very best 7 possible from here on…including perhaps a FA choice. After that, the practice squad will be completed…. The rest of these guys are just camp bodies…brutal to be released after all that work and anxiety. Print Darren’s current roster and do this exercise for yourself…

NO MORE INJURIES…. GO CARDS! I am even looking forward to the practice games to see who can make the final roster…. Veldheer is the GATEKEEPER!

29. By Darren Urban on Jun 14, 2014 | Reply

cardsalltheway —

RE: Troll

No. Just that you claim to be a fan, yet you get off trashing everyone and everything on the team.

If you don’t like how I moderate, move along.

30. By br on Jun 14, 2014 | Reply

NYCardinals212,
    Totally off topic but gotta know, your posting name suggests you are in New York, yet you are aCardinals fan? How the heck do you survive up there no rooting for Jets or Giants, isn’t that a sin? LOL! Don’t get me wrong I love to see Cardinal fans from all over, ( heck we have one from Nova Scotia, personally he is my hero! Also I believe there is one from Dallas as well) but I have a buddy who is from Boston and is a die hard Giants fan, and he catches all kins of hell and he is living here in North Carolina! Danger I bet you catch holy hell about being a Cards fan! Keep the faith man, and come February you can give all those Jets and Giants fan so much crap when Cards take the Super Bowl on their home field!!!

31. By br on Jun 14, 2014 | Reply

cardsalltheway —

Cooper was injured in preseason, Honey Badger went down late in the season ( think there were only 3 games left, that is why Cooper should be expected to be ready to go from day 1, he has had almost 4 months more of rehab, plus HB tore both AFL and o’clock, big difference in rehab and time rehabbing, o’clock is the bigger concern. Cooper should be rocking and rolling from day 1 of training camp, he has had plenty of time to heal and rehab. Plus not sure anyone out in AZ is large enough to keep Coop off the field, SK is pretty big but COOP has been chomping at the bit to get back to just playing football, its what he does, not sit around to be safe, being cautious/safe is is a big reason why players end up reinjured!!!

32. By br on Jun 14, 2014 | Reply

Man I hate this auto correct!!!
    HB tore BOTH ACL and LCL. (that’s what it should read, not sure where auto correct gets o’clock out of lcl, piece of crap!!!)
    Bear with me I will beat this damn cellphone or die trying!!

33. By br on Jun 14, 2014 | Reply

Dr G,
    Not sure Thomas is going to get a chance to respond this year (at least not at QB in games that count)
    As for all the blueteeth, and another wifey and all that Techno jibber jabber…this is how far behind Iam, I got my first cellphone a little over a year ago, flip phone, hated it at first, but came around to actually love it, my daughter had to ruin that by getting me this so called smart phone ( that’s the problem it fry’s to out smart me, which isn’t hard to do, except its a machine, and can’t possibly know what IM thinking!!) She actually gave me her old smartphone, which is very small screen and ancient, she always gets the biggest and best as soon as it comes out!! I don’t even own a computer it would just collect dust, a tablet to me is something you take for a headache!! I appreciate the advice and suggestions but I am a lost cause when it comes to technology, I realize the corrections and my bitching is very annoying to everyone and will try and nip that in the azz and just talk Cardinal football, hell it gets annoying to me when I re-read my posts, so I know it has to be super annoying for everyone else! Thanks for being patient with me and not just telling me to “shut the f… up and go away” ( man i can already see the numerious ” shut up and go away depot’s now! LOL)

34. By cardsalltheway on Jun 15, 2014 | Reply

“Just that you claim to be a fan, yet you get off trashing everyone and everything on the team.”

“EVERYONE” and “EVERYTHING” aye?

I think you’re wrong here sir, I don’t do what you just claimed. You shouldn’t misuse frequency terms especially after calling someone a name. I usually tell people who exaggerate as you did that when you do so it either makes you sound unbelievable, stupid, or possibly both.

Just because I don’t meet your idea or requirements of the ideal “fan” doesn’t affect me in any way, but keep trying. But why should anyone expect you to judge who or what a fan is or isn’t when your claim that I’m a new type of “troll” just doesn’t make any sense since I don’t trash “everyone and everything” as you tried to explain yourself away.

When you can show me that I do what you say then maybe I’ll go along with the “troll” claim but “new troll,” I don’t think so! I don’t think the NFL should be a non-profit so am I a bad “fan” and/or a new type of troll?

35. By Darren Urban on Jun 15, 2014 | Reply

cardsalltheway —

RE: Misuse

Thanks for coming.

36. By ored on Jun 15, 2014 | Reply

one voice in the wilderness is’nt changing anything,just cheer when we win and be happy when times are good.

37. By cardsalltheway 2 on Jun 15, 2014 | Reply

When I bitch bitch bitch bitch 100% non-stop about this team, that proves I am the only true honest fan.

And if you want to bitch about my bitching, that proves I am a victim of unfair abuse.

So now I’m gonna add whining and crying to my bitching.

38. By NYCardinals212 on Jun 15, 2014 | Reply

br,

Actually, its not much different than living in AZ in the late 80’s and 90’s. Nobody talks about the Cardinals. When they do, it goes one of two ways — “Hey, Fitzgerald is a heck of ball player”, or more often than that, something involving the word “garbage”. Then, I ask them when was the last time they watched a Cardinals game . . . silence. New York fans seem to reserve all their sports hate for Boston, Philly, and L.A. They don’t like to get involved in an argument when they don’t have an instant radio soundbite comeback, so I rarely get a chance to talk in depth about the Cardinals. Like I said, until recently, its not much different than living in AZ. In Sunset Park in Brooklyn, I have a better chance of being jumped by the Latin Kings for wearing red than to be accosted by a Giants or Jets fan. They barely know the Cardinals exist, and they certainly don’t have the time to come up with a coherent debate — “Garbage”.

39. By Buck on Jun 15, 2014 | Reply

cardsalltheway You are sick! Go away. Leave this site alone. There is no way that you could be called a Card fan. You don’t take pleasure in any success they have. Your only joy is finding something wrong.

40. By Scott H on Jun 15, 2014 | Reply

Gentlemen, gentlemen….why are we still debating Green vs Whisenhunt? Still an interesting discussion but it really is time to look forward. I think both Green and Whiz have to be recognized for having a part in that team that went to the SB in 2008. Yeah, most of the players were brought on board under Green, But I will tell you I think Whiz was a better game-day coach. Or, at least, he was with THAT team. Yes, after the departure of Kurt Warner – who is clearly THE guy who took us to that SB – it all went to hell in a REAL hurry and, yes, Whiz has to take a lot of responsibility for that. Derek Anderson??? Don’t even get me started, man.

But in regard to Warner, neither Dennis Green or Ken Whisenhunt get the credit for his greatness. Warner had already played at levels of greatness that put him among THE best QB’s to EVER play this game before he played for either one of them. Kurt Warner is a tremendously competitive guy who never gave up on being great again, even after he lost his job in St Louis, then lost his job in New York, then lost it again in Arizona. The guy just FOUND IT again and I think having an O-coordinator like Todd Haley and WR;s like Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald were certainly factors in his resurrection. I think playing in a dome again was a factor. I think his faith was a factor, just as it was a factor in his decision to retire from the game. The fact that the NFC West was pathetic at that time was a factor. He was the right guy in the right place at the right time. He couldn’t have done it in Cleveland or Jacksonville. Hell, he wasn’t doing it in Arizona, either for the first few years he was here! But when Leinart went down for the season in 2007 after Week 5….you could just see that he FOUND IT again. His heart, his will, and his competitiveness took over from there.

And now, back to the Bruce Arians era, already in progress.

41. By br on Jun 15, 2014 | Reply

Cardsallthe way
    I can understand bitching and complaining, I have done plenty of it myself, as have most posters on here or any fan board, but the last couple of years and even the years prior to that (with a couple of disappointing 500 seasons or hovering just below or above) is a huge turnaround for the Cardinals, and especially for lifelong Cardinals fans like myself, you can’t tell me there is nothing positive (especially since SK took over and hired BA as coach) I was mad as hell when Cards didn’t get Andy Reid, but I didn’t come on here and bitch and moan and post negative posts, had to give BA & SK a chance, man I couldn’t wait to rip into SKand M. Bidwell for not throwing enough money or pushing hard enough to get AR in here to be head coach, man was I humbled and had to eat large amounts of crow, but I didn’t post negative crap one after another everytime things didn’t go right, you can’t sit there and tell me there is nothing positive to post about, not one thing you like about the Cardinals and the direction they seem to be heading, because if you can say there is nothing positive or nothing you agree with, then you are NOT an Arizona Cardinal fan at all, you are in fact a troll in most people’s book!!

42. By br on Jun 16, 2014 | Reply

NYCardinals —

Minus being jumped by the Latin Kings ( not alott of gang activity here in po-dunk North Carolina! LOL!) it is pretty much the same down here, hell even if I wanted to I couldn’t find a store that carries Cardinal gear, have to order online! I live on the coast in Eastern Carolina, this area is pretty much Redskins territory, not alot of Carolina Panther fans around here, so most discussions are old school, NFC East discussions, going west toward Charlotte. And Raleigh you can hear a few curse words bringing up our Cardinals, not real well liked due to our recent dominance over the Panthers!! It is refreshing to see Cardinal fans on here from every corner of this great nation though!! Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. GO CARDS!!

43. By br on Jun 16, 2014 | Reply

Scott H

I’ve got two words for you…(actually 3 words)

WELL SAID, SIR!!!

44. By joelhc on Jun 16, 2014 | Reply

well i guess he found us out guys we are all pretenders, according to Cardsalltheway he is the one and only true and honest fan this team has, credits to the CGI team that fills in all those empty seats on Sundays.

45. By Dr. G. on Jun 16, 2014 | Reply

Not much to follow, but, to constantly complain this and last year is simply ignorant…that means those who do it are just not paying attention! (Ignoring all the good stuff)… Trust me, I know…. been through many years of pain being a fan.

BA and SK boldly stated last year, “There are NO rebuilding teams or years.” BA was left with a decent roster; and it was improved in the spots as needed. QB was the crisis need; and the LT position probably caused 1 or 2 losses before the lights came on for BA and his stubborn elite commentary… I griped about that too, passionately. And when it was addressed, I praised Keim and BA for taking action, a bit late, but done. The action, temp as it was, made big strides for the “O.”

br – – OK … Just get your kid to turn “auto-correct” and “suggested text” off… You have that option, so then we can hold you accountable for your errors!! … kidin’….

Cards Fans, BA’s recent observations on conditioning and readiness are real to him regardless of others’ opinions. He is a perfectionist, ‘cuz he knows there is always room for improvement. He is not caustic like Buddy was (is)… It takes a lot to convince some players that they have more, but just don’t realize it. He wants his guys to be the best they can be; it’s to their benefit as well.

We now have a good situation in mgmt and coaching and the promise of success! Be well….

46. By william sprankle on Jun 17, 2014 | Reply

cardsalltheway —

Don’t say something unless sports related, who gives a damn what somebody says or thinks of u, tired of reading your excuses, talk football

2. Oct 9, 2014: Jonathan Cooper’s athleticism not yet returned for Arizona Cardinals following leg injury | nflfans247.net