Waiting on Mathieu, Ta’amu

Posted by Darren Urban on June 12, 2014 – 10:59 am

The Cardinals finished up minicamp early today (more on that later) after about an hour’s worth of work and some field-goal kicking to finish up. Now the veterans scatter until training camp in later July. (Those dates should be out soon.) One of the questions for the next month-plus is who will be available when camp starts, in particular, safety Tyrann Mathieu and nose tackle Alameda Ta’amu. Both are recovering from torn ACLs — Mathieu had extra damage beyond that — but both have been steady in rehab.

“That’s strictly up to the doctors, trainers and them,” coach Bruce Arians said. “I’m not going to hurry them. We have plenty of time. If they aren’t ready for the first day of training camp — which I doubt anyway, because I’ve never thought that. I had Oct. 1, or after the (bye week) as the target date for me personally. If they do something better than that, God bless ‘em.”

A return post-bye week would mean either or both would miss the first three games — San Diego, at New York and San Francisco. Both players have talked a lot about being ahead of schedule, but running during the summer and actually putting on pads, cutting and having people slam into you and dive at your knees is a whole different thing.

“It’s a long process, and it’s going to continue to be a long process,” Mathieu said. “I just try to come to work every day, stay on top of my rehab and just continue to push myself. I don’t try to get too down about it, and I don’t try to get too up, too excited. My knee’s feeling good. I just take it as it comes.”

Mathieu says he still hopes he can play against the Chargers in the Monday night opener.

Tyrehabblog

Tags: ,

27 Responses to “Waiting on Mathieu, Ta’amu”

1. By SteveG on Jun 12, 2014 | Reply

Take your time, get it right and come back healthy boys..Trust your teammates!

2. By John The Draft Guy on Jun 12, 2014 | Reply

Just read the article on Mathieu thinking about suicide at one time. Good read.

I just feel for this kid. You can tell he has a good heart and wants to make a difference in the world. Hope he gets his foundation together and makes a difference in someones life.

Rooting for you Tyrann (off the field)

3. By louis on Jun 12, 2014 | Reply

I am tired of coach’s excuses about his players – just do your job and everything will be all right.

4. By Mark in Chndler on Jun 12, 2014 | Reply

If Mathieu and Taamu on PUP to start the year are they counted against the 53?

5. By Darren Urban on Jun 12, 2014 | Reply

Mark —

RE: PUP

No, PUP players don’t count.

6. By clssylssy on Jun 13, 2014 | Reply

I can’t wait till Tyrann is back on the field but trust in our coaching staff to keep him reined in until he is 100%, If he is back by October 1st, that would mean him missing the 9ers game which will be tough without him but hopefully our defense will reform around the new guys and be up for it. I have loved watching Tyrann play since his LSU days, couldn’t believe our good fortune in signing him and give kudos to the organization and the coaches and players for their support of him dealing with “off field issues”. Hope they help him with his Second Chance Foundation which is much needed and a worthy cause. Hoping to see the Honey Badger bag Defensive Player of the Year since he got shorted on the Rookie honor. Good Luck #32, your fans are behind ya!

7. By Scott H on Jun 13, 2014 | Reply

Wow….didn’t know the Honey Badger might not be back until October. Man, it’s just never easy, is it??? When you share a division with Seattle and San Fran, ALL of these games are gonna count, ya know? Last season, we missed the playoffs by ONE win. And the one loss that sticks in my craw was that opening day loss to the Rams. Should have been a win. Just goes to show you that when ONE win is the difference between making the playoffs or not, your season can be decided in Week One. So…when you don’t have your best players on the field and ready to go in Week One….again, thank you, Daryl Washington.

8. By ored on Jun 13, 2014 | Reply

just listen to docket,he knows every play counts,now if everybody has that mindset we’ll have no regrets.

9. By ored on Jun 13, 2014 | Reply

BTW,a good omen that the team knew ahead of the press release on washington and still kept positive and confident.we go into the season with the middle of the defense gutted from last year,counting on a rookie and an aging vet who was injured last year,sounds like a hollywood script,now we just have to provide the cinderella finish.this season will be full of intrigue,middle linebackers,safety play against TEs,new db across from PP,returning injured safety,old,and lft.guard,new lft.tackle and rt.tackle probably rt.guard also,new speed recievers and rb changes.when you look at all the changes,we have much to look forward to.

10. By ored on Jun 13, 2014 | Reply

think i meant old olb,he may be having a tuff time getting into playing shape and the heat probably is’nt helping any,here’s hoping the rookie and the two injured returning players assert themselves.

11. By louis on Jun 14, 2014 | Reply

it looks like we need a right tackle hope we find the right man .if not its going be a long season for carson plus no inside linebacker like i said 6 10 this year.

12. By cardsalltheway on Jun 14, 2014 | Reply

Congrats, the story got picked up on the NFL website however if Matheiu doesn’t start the season on PUP(to miss the first 8 games) it’ll be a mistake!

Bruce Arians targets Oct. 1 for Tyrann Mathieu return
    A

13. By cardsalltheway on Jun 14, 2014 | Reply

“Now the veterans scatter until training camp in later July. (Those dates should be out soon.)”

Fitz must be dying to get the dates so he can plan his vacation itinerary. If I may make a suggestion, how about cancelling vacation this year and concentrate on your health(hamstrings) and while you’re at it how about cancelling that yearly camp you’ve been holding that helps WR’s etc… from other teams? Again, concentrate on yourself/Cardinals and use your time wisely. Just because you’re rich doesn’t mean you should take a “vacation” every year, I went years without taking a “vacation.” I won’t miss your “vacation” story that much.

14. By cardsalltheway on Jun 14, 2014 | Reply

I’ll take it that you didn’t like what the NFL added since I copied/pasted just a small part of it and you didn’t include it.

What is “A”?

15. By Darren Urban on Jun 14, 2014 | Reply

cards —

RE: Added

You linked to the story. If someone wants to read it, they can. No reason to repeat it. Besides, it’s a story based on my post above.

16. By br on Jun 14, 2014 | Reply

Rams are no joke this year, they are going to be a tough out, I think they finish ahead of San Fran this year for third in division!

17. By br on Jun 14, 2014 | Reply

Cardsalltheway
    Dude, did someone pee in your Wheaties?? All your posts lately have been negative rants, you are starting to sound like georgiebird.

18. By ored on Jun 15, 2014 | Reply

LOL for the wheaties reference,that was classic.BTW i also think the rams are capable of making noise this year…would be fine with me if san fran came in last,but more importantly if we came in 1st.

19. By br on Jun 15, 2014 | Reply

Ored,
    I’m lifelong Cardinals fan ( back to the days when they were in St Louis) in my mind there is no bigger Big Red fan. But honestly the NFC WEST/BEST is “stacked”, it is light years ahead of every other division, it would not shock me if Seattle, St Louis, or my beloved Cardinals win the division, of course I’m picking the Cardinals to win it, even though the Dwash crap hurts our defense really bad, along with Dansby running off to the 1st National bank of Cleveland leaves a huge hole in the middle of our defense, but I think the “d” led by DD will use those two (especially the Dwash stupidity) as a rallying point. As well I think our offense will step it up and carry us to some wins just like the defense did last year, one unit picking up the other!! As well, look for some KR & PR to be taken to the house more often and that is without PP or TM back there returning punts or kickoffs, I am excited about Ginn (if he can hold on to the rock) and what seems like a whole slew of rookies/ youngsters vying for time on KR/PR, that all seem to have exceptional talent!

2. Jun 15, 2014: Cards’ Mathieu: Was heading for suicide in jail | DMV Sports World!
  3. Jun 15, 2014: Cards' Mathieu: Was heading for suicide in jail | Quarterback Connect - NFL Quarterbacks - NFL FootballQuarterback Connect – NFL Quarterbacks – NFL Football
  4. Jun 15, 2014: Cards' Mathieu: Was heading for suicide in jail | NFL ReporterNFL Reporter
  5. Jun 16, 2014: Cards' Mathieu: Was heading for suicide in jail | QB Corner - NFL Quarterbacks - NFL FootballQB Corner – NFL Quarterbacks – NFL Football
  6. Jun 16, 2014: Cards' Mathieu: Was heading for suicide in jail | Female MVP - Women Football Fans - Female NFL Football Fans
  7. Jun 25, 2014: Fantasy Football Rankings 2014: Early Breakdown of Top Defenses, Kickers, IDPs - Christi Web
  8. Jul 16, 2014: Will Arizona Cardinals Survive Without Tyrann Mathieu for First 3 Weeks? — PureFootballPureFootball — Your source for everything about football! — News and tweets about everything football — Football scores, news, NFL
  9. Jul 16, 2014: Will Arizona Cardinals Survive Without Tyrann Mathieu for First 3 Weeks? | Distinct Athlete