Mathieu: From risk to mentor

Posted by Darren Urban on June 17, 2014 – 12:45 pm

The NFL will hold its annual rookie symposium later this month — NFC rookies go to Aurora, Ohio June 22-25 — and the draft picks from across the league will listen to a host of speakers on a host of subjects. One, for instance, will be former Cardinal and recently named Hall-of-Famer Aeneas Williams talking about the history of the league at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in nearby Canton.

The complete gist of the event? From the league’s press release: “The four core teaching principles of the Rookie Symposium are NFL History, Total Wellness, Professional Experience and Workplace Conduct. The symposium includes presentations, videos, and workshops on player health and safety, decision making, mental health, substance abuse, workplace respect and maintaining positive relationships.”

Among the list of current and former NFL players speaking is none other than Tyrann Mathieu.

Mathieu, as a third-round pick in 2013, attended the symposium as a rookie last year. He was listening about how to make the right decisions after his spotty college career. Obviously, Mathieu has traveled light years from there in just the last 12 months. He was the risk the Cardinals took in the 2013 draft. Now he is the guy the NFL thinks is mature enough to use his own story as guidance for the rookies coming into pro football.

I’ve mentioned this before, but the idea Mathieu has become a face of not only the franchise (he has done a video for season ticket holders, for example) but also a speaker for a league function tops even what he has already shown as a talented young player. The Honey Badger has already earned the trust of people from whom it isn’t necessarily easy to win trust — at least not with the background of Mathieu. That says more about the guy than any tackle or interception ever could.

MathieuSpeakerBLOG

Tags:

17 Responses to “Mathieu: From risk to mentor”

1. By Eric G on Jun 17, 2014 | Reply

Its interesting that thus far, Mathieu is the angel while Washington is the one with the problem. I don’t remember any personality concerns over Washington. Just goes to show that you never know.

Keep it up Mathieu. Can’t wait to see you on the field again.

2. By ryan on Jun 17, 2014 | Reply

way to go Tyrann- you deserve it! The NFL is not an easy road to travel but you have done so in the fast lane in a very short time. Just keep on truckin’!

3. By LadyBird04 on Jun 17, 2014 | Reply

Matthieu has worked hard to be a good teammate, player and keep clean. He has kept his word to the team, fellow players and fans. As a bonus, he plays all-out on every play. Wonderful to see a young man appreciate the gift of talent and opportunity he has been given. (Washington is the other side of the coin – he’s lost the respect of the team, fellow players and fans. Who could EVER trust him again)

4. By Itsallinthecards on Jun 17, 2014 | Reply

It’s too bad D-Wash didn’t learn a few things from him.

I’m rooting for Tyrann and hope he continues to make good choices. He’s a heck of a football player. I was watching a 2013 re-draft and NFL.com had him listed as the 4th overall pick one year later. Add that to a healthy Cooper, a steal in Ellington and hopefully some decent play from Minter, Watford, Okafor and Taylor and wow Keim had a spectacular draft last year.

5. By David on Jun 17, 2014 | Reply

What do u mean a video for season tix holders

6. By SteveG on Jun 17, 2014 | Reply

Kudos to the badger and also to the NFL for acknowledging the effort and success to “do the right thing”…

7. By scott023 on Jun 17, 2014 | Reply

When Tyrann gave his word to put his past behind him, he did just that, a man of his word. When I watched him reach between the arm and body of cook (wr rams) and stop a sure td. I knew this guy was headed for greatness.I know why he is the honey badger. He has my respect. I am proud to say he is a cardinal. I pray Washington learns what it is to stand behind your word. I know this until he does he will never go anywhere in life. Sad, very talented man with no trust, that is what he earned. Tyrann a leader for everyone to look up to.

8. By Sean on Jun 18, 2014 | Reply

Whats the big deal. Mathieu is just doing what other players do now. Because he fell off a cliff, his friends pulled him up. He also had a few million dollars worth of incentive. Mathieu has great passion, but glorifying him making the basic minimum good choices, that is stretching PR a little bit to far. Mathieu needs to work on making better choices with punt returns, instead of being stood up, risk the fumble, and be so clueless about it that he injured himself. Mathieu needs to focus on his own life still.

9. By Coach K on Jun 18, 2014 | Reply

Good for you Honey Badger. As for D-Wash, I’m done with that fool.

10. By br on Jun 18, 2014 | Reply

Props have to go to PP as well, took him under his wing and staked his reputation on Tyrann with the Cardinals front office, even took him into his house to ensure he stayed on the straight and narrow.
    Dwash needs to be ordered to go and forced to listen to Tyrann! Kudos to you Ty, keep up the outstanding work! I must admit I thought they had wasted a pick on him, thought he had made his choice, didn’t think he would make it to the start of the season without toking it up and get suspended before he ever played a game!
    Oh, I like my “crow” slow roasted, in a dark gravy, with a side of fried potatoes!!!

11. By azqfan on Jun 18, 2014 | Reply

Sean,

If you think Tyrann’s injury was his fault you are really lost.

12. By Travis on Jun 18, 2014 | Reply

br-
    Couldn’t agree more about pp getting some love.He handled that relationship like a pro. You are only going to be so young and able to play the game at this level for a short period of time. Give yourself 10 or so years to bankroll some cash and then you’ve got another 50 to do WHATEVER YOU WANT.
    Darren- I have season tix, have not seen the video…

13. By D on Jun 18, 2014 | Reply

I am sure Dan Synder has the best lawyers money can buy and I know he will fight this issue with the Gov for years. What happens if a small number of people feel offended by the Fighting Irish or the Kansas City Chiefs -will they be next on the list….where does this stop…

14. By jeffgollin on Jun 18, 2014 | Reply

So far so good; but it’s only the first mile of a journey which I hope will be marked by wise decisions and more good deeds by Tyrann.

15. By br on Jun 19, 2014 | Reply

Ridiculous crap, that is exeactly what it is, Chief Illini Wek from my beloved Fighting Illinois was forced to go away or Illinois could not participate in the NCAA tourney or any bowl games in football ( not that they lose slot by not playing in the bowl games, they need to get to. 500 first and worry about getting enough wins to even be considered for any bowl game other than the toilet bowl…lol) I just don’t see the big deal, seems these teams are honoring native American history by having these names!! Jeez, what the hell, guess I need to take Notre Dame to court since I’m Irish! I can’t stand ND sports teams, despise the football with a passion, but who sits around and says, hey lets Sue so and so team because of there sir name…(besides, fighting Irish fits to good, I was always up for a good scrap in my younger years in the Marine Corps, so fighting Irish prettying much fit me to a “t”, though Fighting Drunken Irish fit me much better!! LOL! Good thing I gave both the fighting, and the drunken up in the name over 25 years ago! Now I only fight when Uncle Sam sends me into a hotspot to fight)

16. By George Johnson on Jun 19, 2014 | Reply

Great Job!!!! Tyrann see you Sat. at the store.

2. Jun 22, 2014: Cardinals' Matheiu Speaks to Rookies NFL Symposium | Cardinals Blog