Fitz’s body on display for all to see

Posted by Darren Urban on June 25, 2014 – 9:19 am

Every year, ESPN the magazine puts out “The Body Issue,” their answer to Sports Illustrated’s swimsuit issue — the difference being ESPN uses athletes and does not use swimsuits. Just … well, their bodies. And this year, one of the bodies happens to belong to Larry Fitzgerald.

There are no photos out there yet. The issue is due to hit newsstands July 11 (and mailboxes right before that.) But in a video ESPN did to tease the issue, you indeed see a brief clip of Fitz during his shoot. I managed to capture a screen shot off the web video, which you can see here (Sorry it’s a link and not posted at the bottom, but this is a family website after all). I am a little surprised Fitz decided to do something like this, but he said in a text message this morning “It’s tastefully done.”

Certainly, Fitz is a guy who keeps in excellent shape. He’s in Minnesota right now, about to train as he always does in the dead time before camp. He may be heading directly toward his 31st birthday, but his conditioning and frame are as good as they always were.

There was one funny thing that struck me about the video. At the tail end, as the music fades, you hear one comment: “I can’t believe I’m doing this.” I’ve heard that voice a million times over the years. It was Fitz.

POSTSCRIPT: After I posted this, @CPDizzle on Twitter shot me this link from an ESPN Magazine ad circa 1998. I had to laugh.

tempFitzCamp--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.BandSitupsUSE

Tags: ,

15 Responses to “Fitz’s body on display for all to see”

1. By azdesertrat1953 on Jun 25, 2014 | Reply

Well… If you have IT and some body comes along and wants to take pictures of… You and pay you. Well… why not?

If you do not like it, don’t buy the ESPN Mag.

GO CARDS!!!

2. By Anthony on Jun 25, 2014 | Reply

For such a family man, man of the community, and man of faith, I’m very surprised that Fitz would be concerning himself with this. I love the Cardinals but for such a star like Larry, it’s hard for this to sit well. Fitz may be taking pay cuts but he doesn’t need the money this badly.

3. By Darren Urban on Jun 25, 2014 | Reply

Anthony —

RE: Money

I would guess ESPN doesn’t pay to have this done.

4. By red2616 on Jun 25, 2014 | Reply

Anthony —

Really? Come on. Get over it & yourself. 2014 and still ashamed of your body? Maybe it’s you that feels inadequate here.

5. By Eric G on Jun 25, 2014 | Reply

Anthony –

What exactly is the problem?? He’s not posing for sexual reasons and there is nothing wrong with it. It is showcasing the human form plain and simple. If you have a problem with this, the solution is simple, don’t buy the mag and read your bible instead.

6. By BIRDGANG on Jun 25, 2014 | Reply

Dude is in great shape gooo Fitz as a lady birdgang member I’m excited to see this Lol… Love me some fitzy #birdgang

7. By Steve on Jun 25, 2014 | Reply

Darren: A little off topic but do the Cardinals have one team plane? I live in Houston and saw a red plane with “Arizona Cardinals” logo on the side taxing down at Bush International airport yesterday.

8. By Darren Urban on Jun 25, 2014 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Plane

The Cardinals do not have a plane. They charter.

The painted plane is simply one for U.S. Airways.

9. By Biggie Dave on Jun 25, 2014 | Reply

Class……..LESS.
    Really Fitz???
    Will the next thing we will be hearing from you is a weak Barkley impression “I am not a role model”?

10. By br in nc on Jun 26, 2014 | Reply

Eric

Bravo sir! This is the absolute “A” #1 response I have EVER read! You tell it like it is, no candy coating! Two thumbs up (if it would allow me more than one vote for thumbs up!) LOL!
    Keep the cold hard truth coming!!

11. By clssylssy on Jun 26, 2014 | Reply

To be selected for this is an honor and many of the other athletes appearing in this issue are Olympians or otherwise respected professional athletes who have become “the face” of the sport they play and are beautiful people in every way. Obviously, only the best made the cut and for somebody said to be “declining”, it sure would not seem the case from where I sit! Look’n REAL GOOD Larry and as usual for Fitz, tasteful and classy.

12. By Anthony on Jun 26, 2014 | Reply

With compliments from Darren’s article, why does Fitz say “I can’t believe I’m doing this” for those who view what I have previously said as wrong? I agree that to keep yourself in shape is an accomplishment and it’s another one of Fitz’ many accomplishments but clearly he doesn’t do this without feeling a little uncomfortable or remorseful.

13. By clssylssy on Jun 26, 2014 | Reply

@Anthony
    Remorseful? I don’t know where you get that. He didn’t sound shameful but a little giddy. .Seems you’re reading something into his lighthearted comment that fits your viewpoint. Could have just as well meant, “I can’t believe I’m doing this”…when there are so many other young buff professional football players they could have chosen? This is like being chosen for the Madden cover, but I do realize that there are those who find playing video games morally objectionable too!

14. By NYCardinals212 on Jun 27, 2014 | Reply

Classy,

I wouldn’t agree that this is an “honor”. ESPN’s goal, rightfully so, is to sell, and they use everything from analysis to titillation. Its just a magazine. Its not an award.

As for the content of the magazine issue, I am deeply offended — talk about classless. Its the same, boring contrast lighting. Its the same mechanical, mannequin poses. It displays nothing of the beauty and fluidity that is an athlete in their natural state. Frankly, the photography and art direction tends towards gimmicky and dishonest. I love nudity, but my artistic sensibilities are pissed off.

2. Jul 8, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | Fitzgerald’s body, and his obsession