Mathieu starts to cut, “close” to football activity

Posted by Darren Urban on July 1, 2014 – 10:52 pm

As July begins, Tyrann Mathieu is still working hard on rehab in his quest to get back on the field as quickly as he can. That message is clear in the latest episode of “Tenacious.” At this point, Mathieu figures he is about “60, 70 percent” running. He is back to his normal weight room routine. He has begun to do some cutting during his rehab, and assistant athletic trainer Chad Cook said Honey Badger is close to returning to football activities.

In fact, Mathieu said he is holding out hope that when training camp begins in less than a month, he will be able to don a helmet and shoulder pads and at least do individual drills with the rest of the defensive backs (allowing that he won’t be in 11-on-11 work right away.)

It’s been a long summer for Mathieu. He was out with the team daily during OTAs and minicamp, usually spending the first part rehabbing while the rest of the team practiced and then, for the last segment of every workout, coming over to watch 11-on-11 work and trying to “coach” fellow safeties Deone Bucannon and Tony Jefferson. Watching wasn’t easy.

“It’s like when you are in elementary school and you wait all day for recess,” Mathieu said. “But you had been bad that morning and then teacher says you can’t play with the rest of the kids.”

Mathieu had said at the beginning of this process it was the mental grind that he was most concerned about wearing him down. The season approaches. The next “Tenacious” probably will come as camp opens. Honey Badger is in the home stretch.

Tags: ,

24 Responses to “Mathieu starts to cut, “close” to football activity”

1. By mrpeary3189 on Jul 2, 2014 | Reply

I’ll be the first to admit that I was skeptical when the Cardinals drafted Tyrann in 2013. All my doubts were erased when I watched him chase down Jared Cook during the first game and caused the fumble.

Speedy and safe returns Tyrann!

God Bless!

2. By Cards4ever on Jul 2, 2014 | Reply

How badly I ache for Cardinal football.
    BirdGang.

3. By PotAsh on Jul 2, 2014 | Reply

Hang in there, TM32. You’ve worked long and hard to get to this point and it is obvious that you realize that you still have quite a ways to go.

Draw on that patience you’ve gained. Draw on the strength that you have. Depend on that fire that burns in you.

Good luck, and I hope to see you on the field when you’re truly ready.

4. By AzDesertRat1953 on Jul 2, 2014 | Reply

The young dumb kid is turning into a responsible young Man before our very eyes.
    There is nothing more to say.

GO CARDS!!!

5. By Andy kw on Jul 2, 2014 | Reply

I want some big ILBs but most of them are not quite there. Rolando McClain (6’4) is still in development and his age of 24 is perfect. If anyone is going to bring out his true potential, it is Todd Bowles. But too bad he was traded to the Dallas Cowboys. He has been out of football for a while but I feel he has a chance to shock the world, even with people’s doubts on his passion for the game. Erin Henderson is a player with size (6’3) and age (27) but with his off the field issues, teams won’t give him a chance. I just don’t understand why MLBs or ILBs with the size are just not available. Just my opinion but I feel bigger ILBs have more production just like we did with Dansby(6’3) and Washington (6’2).

6. By Berdj J. Rassam on Jul 2, 2014 | Reply

Mathieu had a great rookie season and put up great stats – stats that many experienced players couldn’t put up in 16 games (while Mathieu played in only 13 last season). Many expect bigger and better things to come from him, as the Cardinals should be strong contenders for a playoff spot in ’14.

7. By br in nc on Jul 3, 2014 | Reply

Andy KW,
    Its not “people” that doubt McClains passion for the game, it is Rolando McClain that doubts his own passion for the game, he wasn’t forced out, suspended or cut if I remember correctly, he retired, twice if I’m not mistaken (ie…he quit!!) A top 10 NFL draft pick (#6?) An ILB drafted that high, is pretty rare, so obviously he had all the God given talent one could hope for, but passion is not a talent, it is an individual trait, and something he just doesn’t have or just doesn’t want to have! As well didn’t or doesn’t he have off the field legal issues?? No thank you, Dallas is close enough for Mr McClain, Baltimore was a far better place, thousands of miles from Cardinal territory, I will take a “Rudy” type player with tons of passion and heart, and very little God given talent over the likes of Rolando McClain any day of the week, and twice on Sundays!!!

8. By br in nc on Jul 3, 2014 | Reply

Besides, come final roster cutdowns there will Bea much better selection, most if not all of whom will not be lacking the “passion” to play in the NFL.

9. By br in nc on Jul 3, 2014 | Reply

This may sound selfish, (ok, hell, no “may” about it, just plain selfish!) but I don’t want to see Tyrann take a single snap in any preseason game this year, hold him out until they count! Don’t want to see him reinjure himself or have a setback when the games Don’t count, I don’t care if every doctor from here to Timbuktoo clears him to play in preseason, the only positions he should play in preseason is Center, Guard, and Tackle…as he can sit on the CENTER of the bench, GUARD the water bottles, and TACKLE anyone who comes near them (and I would prefer he play touch football and just pull the flag of anyone that approaches the damn water bottles! LOL)
    That way he wont get hurt, or aggravate his rehabbed knee participating in meaningless (for lack of a better word) “GAMES”! Just saying…..

10. By Andy kw on Jul 3, 2014 | Reply

I am glad to hear that Daryn Colledge has another chance

11. By JohnnyBluenose on Jul 4, 2014 | Reply

Matthieu has exceeded all expectations, on and off the field. He deserves everyone’s respect. And now, at the tender age of 22 and with only 13 games played in the NFL, he is “coaching up” some of his teammates. We are so lucky to have him. It was a real shame that he was so badly injured and I only hope that he can resist the urge to come back too soon and risk hurting himself again.

12. By Mike Ellingboe on Jul 4, 2014 | Reply

AndyKw,

Would knowing that Willis is 6’1″ and Bowman is 6’0″ alter your opinion? An overrated head case, on and off the field, isn’t the answer to anybody’s problems.

13. By AzDesertRat1953 on Jul 4, 2014 | Reply

BA was saying October for the HB and that, to me, sounds more realistic.
    That way he should be 110% buy the month of December, because those last four games will be important.

GO CARDS!!!

14. By br in nc on Jul 4, 2014 | Reply

Quite abit of scuttlebutt on the net about our shortage of ILB’s, specifically something called “nickel ILB” ever since D-Wash(up) suspension, first can someone please tell me what a “Nickel ILB” is, and second, what that has to do with the Cardinals? So called experts, and everyday posters (like us) are making a pretty big ripple on how we need to trade for a new “Nickel ILB”. I’m no Mr know it all (though I’m sure some would disagree!especially my ex’s! LOL) but I was under the impression that our ILB’s were everydown linebackers, and
    although as I said I’m no expert, I can give my expert opinion that we will not find a replacement (in the very near future anyway) that is equal to or better than Washington, but I also don’t see how getting a “nickel ILB” to replace him on pass plays, and platooning in an out is going to help, offenses overcome that very quick, they just key on that ILB that is in the game and call a play that exploits his weakness, I believe we look for a sideline to sideline 3 down ILB and cover any weakness he has with T. Bowles schemes. Next man up! And if he can’t get the job done, then find another and another until BA and TB are satisfied with the level of play from that position. That said, if they do decide to platoon with a “nickel ILB” keep an eye on J. Brown/Illinois, we signed him as an UDFA if the Cards are platooning he may be a surprise roster addition, I had hoped for a practice squad invitation after final cuts, but if they are serious about the platoon option then my man may have a shot! (Of course there is Illinois bias in this posting! :) )Though I don’t believe his pass coverage skills are his best asset, he is a run stuffer and a tackling machine, but his height and his coverage skills are good, not great or what he was known for at Illinois, but he was a sideline to sideline 3 down ILB, teams didn’t have to pass much against Illinois because they were normally ahead by a few touchdowns after the 1st quarter and it was my Illini who were usually trying to catch up!! LOL!! (Its not funny, but either I “laugh out loud” or “cry out loud”!! not much of a choice, hey?

15. By Big Ken on Jul 5, 2014 | Reply

I agree AZDesertRat the Cards schedule gets tougher towards the end of the season. Get him ready to go.

16. By Mike Ellingboe on Jul 5, 2014 | Reply

br in nc,

You basically answered your own question, with just one flaw in your reasoning. Yes, the nickel ILB would be primarily for coverage, as the implication is they wouldn’t defend the run very well. However, when you’re trying to fill Washington’s void it’s probably wise to have two guys, one for run downs and the other for passing downs. It would be harder for an offense to find the weakness in that then to leave a guy out there who clearly struggles in one area or the other. The obvious issue there is what to do when they go to a hurry up or no huddle to keep them on the field, but that’s another conversation for another time.

There really aren’t many 3 down ILB’s anymore. Run stuffers, generally easier to find. ILB’s capable of covering backs, TE’s, spying running QB’s, pretty rare. We can always hope we’ve struck gold with an UDFA, but realistically you’re correct, we’re not replacing DWash this year. Maybe next year, if it’s addressed early enough in the draft. This year will likely be a lot more 6 DB packages. As loaded as we are there, I’d much rather see us go that route than trying to force feed a question mark at ILB.

17. By Dana Francis on Jul 6, 2014 | Reply

Hang in there Tyrann. It can’t be too much longer for you. Glad to know you are maturing through this process, and I’m sure all of this will act as a motivator for you this year and beyond.

Hang tough!

18. By Scott H on Jul 6, 2014 | Reply

Very good news indeed. Hope he continues to progress and doesn’t get crazy along the way. Would be great to have him back opening day because with him AND a healthy Cromartie in there, the defensive backfield might just be strength of the defense.

I swear, the more I think about it, the more I think the loss of Karlos Dansby is bigger than ( OR at least as big as ) the loss of Washington. Before you say that’s ridiculous, consider the numbers – Dansby led the team with an amazing 135 tackles, while Washington was a very distant second with 81. Just wondering how many drives were stopped and how many third and longs were set up by some of those 135 stops made by Dansby, ya know? More than a few, I’m sure. Dansby was also third on the team in sacks and LED THE TEAM with 4 INT’s. The man was a MACHINE for this defense last year, folks. Hence, my statement that his loss could hurt more than Washington’s.

Regardless, neither will be on the field for the Arizona Cardinals this year. This has to affect the LB corps to SOME degree. Abraham has to start showing his age someday…..so, I am hoping that whatever drop-off that may occur at LB will be off-set by the secondary being better than last year – and just maybe the best in the league. NOT out of the question, but Cromartie and the Honey Badger have to be healthy and on the field.

19. By clssylssy on Jul 7, 2014 | Reply

Everyone is expecting our defense to fail this year because of the loss of Dansby and Washington when the fact is we have an even younger more vital group with the leadership of Campbell, Dockett, and Abraham to help lead the rookies through the plays from last year plus any veteran leadership Keim adds during or after camp. With the pride of finishing first against the run last season, this defense will have the incentive to do even better against our western rivals with a beefed up secondary that is one of the tops in the league. I can’t wait for Tyrann Mathieu to have an even better year than his rookie season but even if he doesn’t start the first game we have such a talented group with Rashard and Justin Bethel, Can’t wait to see Peterson and Cromarti in action against the Hawks; they may have the size but we have the speed and when it comes down to it the X-factor in better coaching! GO CARDS! THIS YEAR WE HAVE TO PROTECT THE NEST & WIN ALL OUR HOME GAMES! Counting down the days….

20. By Dynosoar on Jul 7, 2014 | Reply

br in nc,

It sounds like I’m selfish too. Haha.

With our front line and our secondary (and Tyrann’s eventual return) we’ll give any NFL level ILB the chance to shine and reach the QB. Looking forward to the next article, I’m starving for my Cardinals.

Just 33 more days.

21. By Mike Ellingboe on Jul 7, 2014 | Reply

Scott H,

His loss was significant at that time it happened, and obviously even more so now but it still isn’t as big as DWash. Defensively, we were very up and down during Washington’s suspension, shortly after his return we became a lot more consistent and one of the league’s best. Dansby had a lot of INT’s literally pass through his hands, and for as good as his numbers were, even Dockett noted they were designed to be.

However, he’s still a big loss but at least it was planned for with Minter. Washington, not planned for at all, and likely not replaceable even if we had. The only question I’d have is what Keim would have done during the draft had he known the future? Did he know of Pittsburgh’s interest in Shazier @ #15, or the Cowboys @ #16? And if he did, would he had given up picks to move ahead of them, knowing he wanted more draft choices, not less? Questions we’ll probably never learn the answers to, but that leave me wondering nonetheless.

Completely agree with your last paragraph.

22. By Scott H on Jul 7, 2014 | Reply

clssylssy –

Hold on, now, I certainly didn’t say our defense will “fail” because of the losses of Dansby and Washington. And I don’t think I hear many others saying that, either. Our defense has too much talent to “fail” and the players have clearly bought into Bowles’ system. So, it will not fail. Can’t speak for anyone else, but my point was merely that there may be some drop off at the LB position with the losses of two pro bowl caliber players ( just as I think ANY LB corps in the league would experience the same ). That seems reasonable. And IF that DOES occur, I am hoping that another component of the defense, like the secondary, can off-set that.

Mike E –

Certainly, I agree that Dansby benefitted from Washington’s presence but I think Dansby was going to have a great season regardless. I think he was probably quite motivated by his situation of playing on a one-year deal and having the potential to get one more big deal from someone if he really showed something. As much as I love the guy for his ability, I basically see him as a mercenary. The way he played last year was a double-edge sword – it benefitted the Cardinals greatly at the time but it also probably guaranteed that he was not going to be back in 2014

2. Jul 2, 2014: Tyrann Mathieu: Rehabbing injury is like missing recess | Helmet2Helmet
  3. Jul 3, 2014: Tyrann Mathieu / Tyrann Mathieu running at ’60, 70 percent’ | NFL Huddle | NFL News, Updates & Rumors | NFL Mock Draft Party