Fitzgerald’s body, and his obsession

Posted by Darren Urban on July 8, 2014 – 8:38 am

As promised, the ESPN Magazine called “The Body Issue” has been released and Larry Fitzgerald is one of the featured athletes. A video and interview with Fitz can be found here, and while I’m not going to break down any photos of Fitz au naturel (there is a pic from the magazine below), there were a couple of answers in the interview that caught my eye. (Other than the line about how random older ladies occasionally grab his butt in the mall.)

One, that Fitz wears gloves — post practice. Usually, in practice, he just tapes up his thumbs. “Every day after practice I put gloves on — they are these really tight, stiff mitts, and they make you work extremely hard to close and open your hands,” Fitz says. “It strengthens my hands, especially the thumbs — your thumbs are really what control your grip.”

The other isn’t as much of a surprise as a confirmation of where Fitz’s mindset is even a decade into his NFL career. “I’m obsessed with my craft,” he said. “I just want to squeeze every single drop out of the lemon that I possibly can. I don’t want to have any regrets, and to this point I can sleep at night.”

mag14_bww_larryfitzgerald02_576x733

Tags: ,

6 Responses to “Fitzgerald’s body, and his obsession”

1. By Mary Delaughter on Jul 8, 2014 | Reply

Although you look very good with no clothes on, I prefer to see you in uniform out on the field kicking up some turf. GO CARDINALS. Cant wait to see you in Sept for pre season. Good luck this year.

2. By Scott H on Jul 8, 2014 | Reply

Honestly, even with the wealth of stunning talent at the WR position in the NFL today, is there anyone who works harder at his craft to the extent that Fitzgerald does? He may not be the physical specimen that Calvin Johnson is or Dez Bryant or Brandon Marshall ( then again, he also has more years on him than these guys ) but he has more pure talent and ability than any of them. And NO ONE works harder than Fitz does and THAT is what puts a very rare player like Fitz in the category of a Jerry Rice. His dedication to physical conditioning and just doing everything and anything he can to keep getting better have him poised to have the longevity that Rice had. When his career is over, he is going to be regarded as one of THE best to ever play the position.

So glad to see a blog related to Fitz because there is a feature up on NFL.com right now about ranking the best hands among current WR’s. My instant prediction that was that Fitz was easily in the top 10, probably in the top 5, quite possibly number one. And sure enough, there he was at the top of the list at #1. And that is where he should be.

Thank you, Dennis Green, for making this man a Cardinal.

3. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jul 8, 2014 | Reply

I didn’t notice any women on the set during the behind-the-scences video footage of Larry’s shoot with ESPN. Interesting. With the SI Swimsuit shoots, 95% of the people on the set (location) are male assistants attending to the nude women.

4. By Debbie Lopez on Jul 8, 2014 | Reply

Beyond his body (which is extremely nice!) I admire Larry for the man he is, for his love of family, his respect and admiration for his father. What a nice, nice young man. I wish him all the best! I love the Cardinals!

5. By br in nc on Jul 9, 2014 | Reply

Wow, no doubt about it being the off-off off season when there are featued stories all over the netg about Fitz and otherNFL players naked body’s and people are responging to them (like me! LOL!!l) Boy I can’t wait for training camp to start!! LOL!!

6. By JoEllen Lee on Jul 12, 2014 | Reply

He is absolutely beautiful inside out! !!! Amazing athlete, kind soul….just down right respectful genuine guy. He makes his Momma very proud as she watches from heaven above. Everyday he and succeeds in his endeavors, whether it’s for himself or helping others. He’s a to many!