Fitzgerald as an Angel — and Holy

Posted by Darren Urban on July 10, 2014 – 10:08 am

Randomly found this video the other day that works well for a #throwbackThursday: Larry Fitzgerald high school highlights and interview from his time in Minnesota playing for the Academy of Holy Angels — even before he had chosen to play at the University of Pittsburgh. Funny, the way he talks and acts, he’s not a whole lot different some 14 years later. Speaking of Minnesota (and a throwback), here’s a story I did a couple years back on Fitz’s Minnesota roots.

Tags:

16 Responses to “Fitzgerald as an Angel — and Holy”

1. By kauaicardsfan on Jul 10, 2014 | Reply

What a great story! Mahalo for digging this up! This goes to show how well mannered and humble Fitz was growing up as a kid and carried over to adulthood!

2. By Kurt on Jul 10, 2014 | Reply

wow, no wonder he grew into the man among men he is today.

3. By dave on Jul 11, 2014 | Reply

I have never seen a more humble and appreciative professional athlete than Larry Fitzgerald. Very refreshing.

4. By clssylssy on Jul 11, 2014 | Reply

Thanks Darren, great piece! I have supported the Cards for twenty years and nobody has brought pride to the organization like Larry Fitzgerald. He is the epitome of of professionalism, team first player and has brought fan pride to the Cardinal Organization unlike anyone except perhaps Pat Tillman, is respected by his colleagues and fans across the league. Several years ago I took my family from KC to a Cards game and my nephew went home and had his room redone into a Larry Fitzgerald room, packing away all his autographed Tony Gonzalez stuff for #11 and Cardinal red!
    This “slice of life” from his high school days comes as no surprise and brought a smile. I read an article on PFT today alluding to the fact that this would probably be Fitz’s last year in Cardinal red, something Steve Keim has steadfastly denied but is nonetheless disheartening. This year hold tons of promise and if it’s his last, I’ll hope it’s his best. GO FITZ…BEST HANDS IN THE NFL! CLASSIEST PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE!

5. By Andy Kw on Jul 11, 2014 | Reply

-WR Larry Fitzgerald is the best receiver of all time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This team will find a way to resolve the $23 million cap hit next season and I expect him to be in a Cardinals uniform for another 3-5 years.
    -Just seeing the article about LT Jared Veldheer now gives me so much optimism on the left side of the Offensive Line.

6. By br in nc on Jul 12, 2014 | Reply

Totally off subject (well not totally, WR’s are mentioned in said article)
    Was just browsing the net in this football starved time of year and came across the article (you know the ones at the page that are put there for hits/advertising, headline caught my eye (guess it is working! LOL) Anyway headline was 7 teams that missed playoffs that could be in for 2014-15. It talks about our draft what positions we drafted and some other jobber jabber, then comes this, (and I quote…) “They also signed in free agency WR Ted Guinness and LB Larry Foote… (a little farther down, quote) “it appears they have strengthened. where the needed help the most, (ready for this one, the obvious right? )

WRONG!! According to these “experts” (Haha) we needed the most help at WIDE RECEIVER!! What??? I kid you not, the seem to think our biggest weakness was Wide receiver, and I guess signing Guinness and drafting a couple of mid round small school WR’s (don’t get me wrong, I love the choices and you all know my infatuation with small school draft picks!!) but these azzmunches seem to think those 3 are the answer to our prayers!! To freaking funny, I just pray that these uummm…”experts” (cough, cough!!) are not getting paid to spew this crap on the internet! Thank God Arizona was first team they reported on (If I dare call it reporting!!) I didn’t even bother finishing reading about the other six teams! I was in shock, not a single syllable about Veldheer signing or the DWash BS, which most “experts” and true fans like Darren’s faithful bloggers on here could all go out on a limb and say that O-line was the weakest, Right side is still a ? mark in my humble opinion, as well as ILB becoming a huge weakness after Los tool the money and ran, and DWash…well we all know that story! So what was one of our biggest strengths when the season ended, turned into a nightmare weakness real quick, both could end up with happy endings! But hey, at least our biggest weakness at WR is fixed, at least according to these IDIOTS!!!
    bilibr.com is the website if you want a good laugh! (damn it even has my initials in there addy, what a disgrace! But wanted to give the website so y’all could see I’m not trying to be a comedian. ( Honestly gents I couldn’t sit around and make this “shat” up if you gave me a freaking week to come up with this kind of trash!!)

7. By br in nc on Jul 12, 2014 | Reply

***Autocorrect is at it again***
    Obviously it is replacing Ginn with Guinness. (not sure how it relates an Irish beer, or maybe an English beer with Arizona Cardinals WR Ted Ginn Jr! I don’t think TGjr is Irish! Though I could be wrong! ;) LOL!)
    The rest are legit mistakes with my typing and this tiny azz key board on my phone! Sorry!

8. By br in nc on Jul 12, 2014 | Reply

Andy kW,
    What about the Right side?? I for one am not so optimistic a little nervous as most are.

9. By Scott H on Jul 13, 2014 | Reply

Darren – if I may put you on the spot, here….with a water pistol to your head, do you think Fitz will be here beyond this year? I know his number against the cap for 2015 is just insane. Probably too insane for the team to swing given he will be on the wrong side of 30 then. Fitz has always seemed genuinely committed to being here. Then again, the team has been equally committed to him with the contracts they have offered to this point. Makes ya wonder if his current deal was agreed to with both sides knowing that his 2015 salary was never actually going to be paid.

This is gonna be a tough call for the organization. He might just be the single most talented player to ever wear a Cardinals uniform and he is one of the finest human beings to represent the NFL in this era. He is a TRUE face-of-the- franchise player at a time when very few players achieve that status.

I just cannot bear the thought of seeing him with another team. But when ya realize that Emmitt Smith, Peyton Manning, Jerry Rice, and Joe Montana all ultimately had to move on to another team at some point…..ugh.

10. By Darren Urban on Jul 14, 2014 | Reply

Scott H –

RE: Fitz

I think it will be up to Larry. My guess is that the Cards are going to ask him to take a cut. And he will have to decide what makes the most sense for him.

11. By Scott H on Jul 14, 2014 | Reply

Darren -

Yeah…that’s what I see it coming down to. I’m trying not to indulge in totally magical thinking here, but is it possible the two sides basically “tear up” the existing deal and agree to a new one? Or, in effect, agree to re-structure the existing deal so there is a point where the money is still fair market value ( and enough to keep him here ) BUT is obviously re-distributed in a way that is more team friendly?

12. By Darren Urban on Jul 14, 2014 | Reply

Scott H –

RE: Fitz deal

To me, restructuring means money doesn’t change, just when you get the money changes.

You take a pay cut, it’s a pay cut.

Do I think Fitz could do that and still, say, make more than what he would get on the open market as a soon-to-be 32-year-old? Yes. But there are a lot of moving parts, and we will have to see what he thinks is fair and what the team thinks is fair.

13. By Scott H on Jul 14, 2014 | Reply

Well, yeah, I define re-structuring the same way. Maybe I’m just hoping the two sides can find a point where there IS some degree of an overall pay cut BUT maybe he gets a big chunk up front or as some kind of bonus that doesn’t kill the cap and the rest is back loaded so….oh, good lord, never mind. I’m listening to myself and I AM thinking in magical terms.

Yeah, it’s going to come down to what Fitz is willing to take to stay here. AND we probably have to hope that another team ( like the damn Seahawks or 49ers ) doesn’t come along, willing to give Fitz more than the Cardinals possibly could or would just to weaken them while adding a piece that might be just what they need. As long as those teams remain SB favorites over the next few years, they may be exactly where a player like Fitz would want to go late in his career to get a ring for himself. Like, say, Aeneas Williams finally leaving the Cardinals to go somewhere where he had a better chance.

14. By clssylssy on Jul 15, 2014 | Reply

Darren…
    Didn’t Fitz just restructure this year so Peterson and others could get paid? You make a lot about him “soon to be 32 years old” however, as I recall the team was prepared to pay Karlos Dansby something like $12M when he bolted for bigger money in Cleveland at the age of 36? Most would agree that Dansby’s best years were in Arizona both times where he had the help of a lot of the best t talent in the league around him making him look good, so I’m kinda curious at why the organization would consider Fitz less of a talent and try to low ball him to take less money AGAIN! Outside of Phoenix, there’s not a team in the league who wouldn’t want Larry Fitzgerald on their roster and I could see Seattle or San Francisco willing to pay him to insure their dominance. Steve Keim keeps saying Fitz isn’t going anywhere and will retire a Cardinal but there seems to be those in the organization that are “chumming the waters” . While it’s true that Fitz’s cap figure of $23M is pretty heafty,that was all a part of Keim’s smoke and mirrors effort for the Cards to have their cake and eat it too. At some point, the Cards need to do the honorable thing and pay him instead of trying to play the odds on his sustaining an injury so they renege on their contract. If Fitz goes, you can bet he will take a lot of fans with him! It would be something for the Cards to distinguish itself as setting the “Jeter Standard” in the NFL!

15. By Darren Urban on Jul 15, 2014 | Reply

Clssy –

RE: Fitz

Let me ask you this question, in context of the salary cap: Do you love Fitz enough that you give him everything he is currently due in 2015, and head toward a reality that might mean you aren’t competitive for a few years? Does Fitz want to be here? Peterson is coming up for an extension. Michael Floyd is going to need one soon. Palmer’s deal will be up. I could look through the roster and find others. The Fitz restructure did allow for more cap room and a Peterson extension could be helped by that. But that’s 2014. What about 2015?

Dansby, BTW, isn’t 36.

Let me ask you a question: Say Fitz’s numbers are, for example, 80-900-9 this year. Do you pay him $17M in real cash next year? If Fitz were on the market, what would another team actually pay him?

Look, the Cardinals don’t want to lose Fitz. He might not go anywhere. But that doesn’t always align with the reality of the business. You are a committed fan and I get that, but often your comments seem to be through rose-colored glasses that don’t take into account the cap, declining production, changes in the philosophy, etc. I’m not trying to stir the pot. But I am looking at things realistically. It’s really not rocket science here.

16. By Scott H on Jul 15, 2014 | Reply

Related to the topic of Fitz, it is interesting to hear ( some ) experts out there predicting that Michael Floyd takes over as the top WR for the Cardinals this year. Could happen. BUT if it does, it probably happens because of Fitz being on the field with him and still commanding so much of the defense’s attention. Does it happen WITHOUT Fitz being on the field and commanding so much of the defense’s attention? No. Floyd is not THERE yet. At least, I don’t think he is. AND there ain’t no way Fitz gives up the title without a battle! Too much pride, to much skill, too much desire to compete and win. And IF Fitz were to look upon this season as maybe a last chance for him in Arizona – AND with a legit shot at another SB – then it will be all out.