The roster heading into camp

Posted by Darren Urban on July 15, 2014 – 3:55 pm

Next week is the week.

With the Cardinals’ decision-makers trickling back into the building, the end of minicamp has been a moratorium of sorts. Time off is the important thing, and with no football-related things going on, there was no reason to make any roster changes over the last month-plus. But that potentially changes Monday when everyone is back in Tempe and the Cards gear up for the camp that starts at the end of the week.

That’s no guarantee anything will happen. Last season, the Cardinals didn’t do anything to the roster (save for signing a couple of draftees) after May 21 until right as camp was starting. The biggest reasons? It was time to put Ryan Swope on the retired list (bringing in Robby Toma) and the Cardinals needed to clear room for linebacker John Abraham and tackle Eric Winston. That made just a bit of a splash as camp opened.

The Cards last transaction was June 9. Could they have another veteran or two that make sense to sign? If it’s going to happen without someone getting injured, this is the time. Vets on the market know they probably aren’t going to make the kind of money they once thought they might (Tyson Clabo, anyone?). This time around, I’m thinking the Cards have some faith in Bobby Massie, enough of which to see how he develops these next few weeks. I don’t know of any decent pass rushers hanging out either. Don’t forget, last year, Bruce Arians was still trying to get a handle on his players. Now, he knows better what they can do.

This isn’t to say the Cardinals aren’t going to stand pat with the roster. Things can change quickly, with players taking physicals next week and everything. You want to maximize the roster as practices begin. Regardless, it’ll be interesting to see how it all evolves, heading toward that 53-man lineup the Cards must pare down to prior to the season opener against the Chargers.

Tags: , , , , ,

30 Responses to “The roster heading into camp”

1. By D on Jul 15, 2014 | Reply

I think they won’t bring in a RT because Massie and or Sowell will be the starter. I don’t see any productive Pass Rushers being released, so AZ will have to rely on Abraham, Okafor, Benard and Acho to provide some Pass Rush. And with the ILB spot across the league thin in the NFL, I don’t see an impact player being on the street. That position will have to wait until next year’s draft to replace DWash who I am thinking will be released next March. Minter will have to live up to his 2nd Round draft selection this year.

But the good news is that the strong Dline and Strong Secondary can make up for a questionable LB corps. Plus, I see the offense not stumbling out of the gate like last year if they are all healthy out of training camp. More points always helps..

2. By CreditCard on Jul 15, 2014 | Reply

D—

Nothing makes up for questionable. Questionable is what the other teams exploit

3. By William Barry on Jul 15, 2014 | Reply

We have had enough of DWash’s antics….bring on Minter, a great #2 pick, with speed athleticism, good hitter, granted he’s not DWash, but he will surprise…so will our Draft class of Brown and Murray as WR’s for added punch to our offense!!! Our Defense will surprise with Kareem and Buchannon!!!! Go Cards…and don’t forget Ted Ginn too!!!!

4. By sbrown on Jul 15, 2014 | Reply

agree with D on the point that the Offense must be able to put more points on the scoreboard from the get go. Nothing to stop the other team,when our O is on the field. Looking for a great year from Palmer, the O Line must keep him safe and the Cards can make a lot of noise this season. Go Cards !

5. By Steve on Jul 15, 2014 | Reply

Darren: Do you think we can expect a surprise cut or two? Perhaps one of the starters?

6. By rod on Jul 15, 2014 | Reply

I am so jazzed, this year seems like the longest wait ever!!!

I caint standz it, I caint standz it no more….let’s go baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. By AzDesertRat1953 on Jul 15, 2014 | Reply

I don”t think D-wash will go anywhere unless He and the Team can not come to an understanding on how to stop his problem. He needs to accept the same kind of deal the HoneyBadger did with the Team, and stick to it!

8. By Darren Urban on Jul 16, 2014 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Cuts

Way too early to guess that.

9. By clssylssy on Jul 16, 2014 | Reply

I’m not sure why the DWashington situation has received so much hype but can only assume it is organizational politics. To cut Washington would be handing over one of our best weapons to the competition and I just don’t think the Cards are in a dominant enough position to do that. Yes, he has had problems off the field but compared to some of the others around the league they have been very minor and greatly overblown. I have to wonder how some of our fans would stand up to the same kind of scrutiny as Washington…no, I have seen them at U of Phoenix stadium on game day, drunk and obnoxious and ruining any family experience but tolerated nonetheless because they are “patrons” creating revenue!
    I understand that fans are disappointed that we will be without Washington this year but, I just don’t see Kevin Minter as having the experience and maturity to step in and fill his shoes…second round draft pick or no, the kid has no NFL experience.
    Last season some of S. Keim’s best work was in finding skilled veteran players to fill out the roster for short-term contracts; guys like John Abraham turned out to be like found money and were difference makers for our defense. With the knowledge and connections of our vast staff of coaches, consultants, and assistant perhaps they can pool their resources and come up with a solution that will be innovative and catch our opponents off guard. I’m sure in their combined years of experience they have had to deal with situations like the one our defense is facing…it’s called having a backup plan! GO CARDS! LET’S GET’R’DONE!

10. By Brad on Jul 16, 2014 | Reply

Any word on how far along Deone Bucannon has come in camp?

11. By Eric G on Jul 16, 2014 | Reply

It’s almost the most wonderful time of the year
    With the d ringing the opponent’s bells
    And every offense living in fear
    It’s almost the most wonderful time of the year
    It’s the NFL season that is hap -happiest season of all
    With those Palmer passes and Fitz catches
    and Andre rushing the ball
    It’s the hap -happiest season of all

I should probably get back to work now.

12. By Darren Urban on Jul 16, 2014 | Reply

clssy —

RE: Dwash

“Organizational politics?”

*smh*.

13. By Darren Urban on Jul 16, 2014 | Reply

Brad —

RE: Bucannon

They’ve been off for more than a month. We’ll see when they get to Glendale.

14. By Andy Kw on Jul 16, 2014 | Reply

Lets analyze each position to see if any more FAs will be signed:
    QB: Carson Palmer (1) and Drew Stanton (2) are entrenched. Ryan Lindley has made a lot of strides for a 3rd year veteran and I would be sad to see him go if he performs well in the preseason. Logan Thomas is the developmental QB that should sit on the bench the entire season. No more QBs are needed.
    Projected: C. Palmer, D. Stanton, L. Thomas

RB:Andre Ellington is the clear #1 back with Stepfan Taylor and Jonathan Dwyer as the in the line RBs. When it comes down to the #4, I think it will be a battle between Zach Bauman and the former Colt Robert Hughes. Hughes has the experience and the size. Bauman has speed and was a college standout. No more RBs needed.
    Projected: A. Ellington, S. Taylor, J. Dwyer, Z.Bauman

WR: Larry Fitzgerald and Michael Floyd will lead the group. Ted Ginn Jr and John Brown will probably split playing time. Will the team keep 5 or 6 WRs? I don’t know but I think they might keep 5. Walt Powell, Jaron Brown, Brittan Golden, & Dan Buckner will have to battle it out for the spot.
    Projected: L. Fitzgerald, M. Floyd, T. Ginn Jr, Josh. Brown, Jaron Brown

TE: The #1 and #2 positions are so hard to decide because we have so much depth. We will most likely keep 4 TEs. Troy Niklas probably won’t be the #1 or #2 this year but he should move up the depth chart next year. John Carlson looks impressive and Ballard can make grabs in the end zone. Rob Housler will have some playing time but not as much as previous years. Darren Fells and Andre Hardy are unlikely to make the roster but do have upside. No more TEs needed.
    Projected: J. Carlson, J. Ballard, R. Housler, T. Niklas

OL: Lyle Sendlein is the leader of the group with Jared Veldheer and Jonathan Cooper manning the other side. Paul Fanaika will battle with Earl Watford for the RG position. Bobby Massie, Bradley Sowell, and Nate Potter will battle for the RT position. If Massie wins, Sowell should move back to the LT position for depth. Maybe Tyson Clabo will choose to sign with the Cards later during camp.
    Projected: L. Sendlein, J. Veldheer, J. Cooper, P. Fanaika, E. Watford, B. Massie, B. Sowell, T. Larsen, N. Potter

DL: Calais Campbell, Darnell Dockett, and Dan Williams all return to the starting lineup healthy. Alameda Ta’amu is still recovering from his injury so it is possible the teams signs another DT later on in camp. But I feel UDFAs Bruce Gaston or Justin Renfrow could make his way into the depth chart. Frostee Rucker and Ed Stinson will be the main backups with Kareem Martin probably spliting time as DE/OLB. No more needed.
    Projected: C. Campbell, D. Dockett, D. Williams, F. Rucker, E. Stinson, A. Ta’amu

LB: Ernie Sims and Larry Foote will battle it out for the ILB position next to Kevin Minter. Lorenzo Alexander will move into the middle to backup Minter. Matt Shaughnessy and John Abraham will be the OLBs. I think Sam Acho will move in rotation with John Abraham to keep him fresh off the rush. I think Marcus Benard could split some time with Shaughnessy a bit and could play some ILB as well. Alex Okafor and Kareem Martin will be more depth.
    Projected: K. Minter, E. Sims, L. Foote, J. Abraham, M. Shaughnessy, S. Acho, L. Alexander, M. Benard, A. Okafor, K. Martin

DB: Patrick Peterson and Antonio Cromartie are the starting CBs. Tyrann Mathieu is recovering from injury but Rashad Johnson will do fine in his place. Deone Bucannon will be the starter with Tony Jefferson getting playing time in the nickel, free safety, and strong safety positions. Jerraud Powers moves into the nickel role where he will excel. Teddy Williams and Justin Bethel will be the depth behind the 3 CBs. Bryan McCann could make the team for the special team. No more depth unless at FS position.
    Projected: P. Peterson, A. Cromartie, J. Powers, T. Mathieu, D. Bucannon, R. Johnson, T. Jefferson, J. Bethel, T. Williams

ST: Should remain the same
    Projected: J. Feely, D. Zastudil, M. Leach

15. By tyman on Jul 16, 2014 | Reply

Roster looks better than ever.

Outside line-backer will be an interesting story.

16. By Kurt on Jul 16, 2014 | Reply

Darren:
    What is the average age of the players on the Cardinal Roster heading into camp, compared to last year?

17. By br in nc on Jul 16, 2014 | Reply

Clsslssy,

Dwash is on strike 2, he will be gone (cut) as soon as it financially makes sense for the Cards to pull the trigger, he is a cancer in the lockerroom, think about it, when he got busted last year he came out and “apologized” to the fans, front office and teammates, and without quoting word for word he basically promised it would not happen again, now 1 year later he has to release another statement concerning the samething, that he promised wouldn’t happen again, which in most people’s book that makes him a liar, plain and simple, and again, in most people’s book liar’s cannot be tolerated, nor trusted especially not in a team environment, personally I don’t think the Cardinals will cut Dwash, they wont have to, he is going to make it easy, he will have another “dirty” sample which will be strike 3, and wala…lifetime ban! That lifetime ban hanging over his head is also the reason no NFL team will touch him (sign him) when the Cardinals do release him (if he somehow manages to stay clean this year, which again, I seriously doubt he can! But if he does the Cards should give him an ultimatum, first off not one penny of that massive bonus he is supposed to get leaves the Cardinals bank account, second we cut him and offer him veteran minimum to resign with Cardinals, include very strong parameters in his contract multiple tests, not a penny gaurenteed ( no I can’t spell worth a s&$t) and also include some positive goals and incentives for Dwash to work toward, something along the lines of say, 3years signed for veteran minimum, and if he completes those 3 years and remains clean and out of trouble with the law (ie, beating on women!) then, and only then would Dwash see that bonus he was supposed to get this year!

18. By br in nc on Jul 16, 2014 | Reply

Andy kW,
    Thanks for the extensive post, firing up the juices of a lot of Cardinal posters on here ( It has sent a tingle down my spine!) After just 2 quick read thru’s I tend to be on board with most of your predictions but (and there is always a but…) I have to put my 2cents worth in:
    RB – I root for the small school diamonds, research a lot especially prior to the draft and love nothing more than small school prospects or undrafted free agents making any team really, but especially when the Cardinals hit it big (ie…Justin Bethel or going back a ways, Eric Swan) but I just don’t see Z. Bauman beating out R. Hughes, in fact if Hughes continues to impress as much as he did in minicamp (or as Darren would say, lets see what he does when it counts with pads on!) I believe Hughes emerges out of preseason not only making the roster, but I think he emerges as 2nd string RB, getting a lot of time on the field with Ellington (don’t forget Hughes has time in BA’s offense already). My prediction, Z. Bauman is signed to the practice squad for a year of “seasoning”, and will remain there all year barring a major injury to one of our other RB’s. If he were to make the final cut I think Deter would be the RB that Bauman beats out, not Hughes.

TE – Agree it has become a position of strength, only minor change, on my “big board” Ballard will be clear #1 TE and is going to surprise although of people this year, look for a good solid impressive year out of Jake. He was very impressive last year in the short time he was here. Going out on a limb, if Fells can show he is an excellent blocker then I think Housler’s Breakout year (again, for like the 3rd year in a row he is supposed to Breakout!) will not happen in a Cardinal uniform.Unless Housler has a monster camp and eye popping preseason he will not make the final 53 man roster.

OL – Right side is our biggest weakness, hands down! A lot of questions to answer, I think RT & RG are the to positions that are leading candidates to have last minute veteran signings to fight for starting jobs, as well BA & SK will scour the waiver wire on cut down days, also would not shock me if the Cardinals traded for a RT ( no huge blockbuster trade involving some big name future HOF’er

*** HAVE TO FINISH LATER BATTERY ON PHONE IS DANGER LOW! SORRY***

19. By All Day on Jul 17, 2014 | Reply

Not really sure why we signed Foote… I say cut him and Demens and sign Pat Angerer, He’s younger and more athletic than Foote and really isn’t that bad of a player

20. By Dr. G. on Jul 17, 2014 | Reply

DRat1953 – Don’t want to burst anyone’s bubble, but the line on DWash returning to the NFL, much less the Cards is probably less that 20%. He still may yet be out for the 2015 season, as there still remains the legal court review, AND, the most probable penalty from the NFL Commish. His only shot is if he goes to a Monk’s monastery somewhere for the duration. ((They could put in a weight room!)) Yes, to me this is all moot. I am disgusted at this arrogance… Let’s desist and MOVE-ON! We have some good talent that will take care of business. I do appreciate your optimism, but until this is done, don’t drive yourself nuts wishing. I’m with BA on this…no more time wasted on this issue….. Be well.

21. By Dr. G. on Jul 17, 2014 | Reply

clssy – Overblown? Sorry, I did not see your comment before my last. Indeed, this NFL and Court action toward DWash behavior is not overblown. And, it is not prudent to excuse bad behavior by pointed to other bad behavior; that is an avoidance tactic.

DWash is over the top with his 3 strikes of substance offenses. I held out hope that there were extenuating circumstances with the X-wife and visitation with his little girl, but when he plead “guilty,” to the assault charges, I have to take him at his word. This is not the stuff of a man with occasional mis-steps.

We have some kind fans of which you are one, but we need to be clear in that the rules are there because they can prevent a player from ruination. Some of them just think they are bullet proof. DWash not only made some bad decisions, he made them while thumbing his nose at the law and the NFL. Too bad – such a talent…. later….

22. By Darren Urban on Jul 17, 2014 | Reply

Kurt —

RE: Age

I’d have to look. I believe it is lower, but again, I’d have to do the math.

23. By Darren Urban on Jul 17, 2014 | Reply

All Day —

RE: Angerer

Angerer is also coming off major knee surgery.

24. By Dr. G. on Jul 17, 2014 | Reply

AndyKw – Wow, few fans go to this detail! I think you have a fairly good picture of the team at this point. Until the camp gets well underway, I am holding out to see how things shake out with injuries and performance, etc.

I’m thinking that if another team came knocking loudly with a proposal for Stanton, he may get a shot somewhere. But, I do not see him as the next man up save an immediate injury to Palmer. Keim and BA know that they cannot fall victim to the Whiz syndrome of the QB carousel. I am thinking Thomas has more tools than necessary to be the heir apparent. And we have some of the best QB coaches in the NFL to groom him. He could be the next deep pick surprise as Ellington… We will see…. He will most likely get the lion”s share of the pre-season action. You think Palmer has a good arm? !!!! Be well….

25. By Mike on Jul 17, 2014 | Reply

Any updates on Honey Badger, both on his injury and staying clean?

26. By br in nc on Jul 17, 2014 | Reply

I know nitpicking but I thought Angered was Foot not Knee, though both are pretty essential for a football player! LOL
    I say take a chance on him, obviously he would need to sign on Cardinal’s terms. He is not an every down player, but not many are, even if we knew months ahead of time (like both Los & Dwash had announced. their retirement or something) it would still take a couple of drafts and a few free agent visits to possibly sign with us to replace both of them, We as Cardinal fans were very spoiled, having 2 ILB’s that were everydown players, and very good at both pass coverage and run stuffing, if they were not the top duo in the league they were certainly top 3! Taking a flyer on Angerer in my humble opinion is a no-brainer!
    Just got to thinking…Angered was a knee and a foot (twice) I do believe. Even though he is a 2 down ILB he was a very good run stuffer on those Downs!

27. By br in nc on Jul 17, 2014 | Reply

The only extenuating circumstances that would justify him (or any man) laying their hands on a woman is if she was coming at him with a knife or a gun! Anything other than that itsis all just BS excuses that cowards use to try and justify their despicable actions!

28. By br in nc on Jul 17, 2014 | Reply

Dr G
    Happy to see I’m not alone in the debate/fight over the future of Thomas and the Cardinals QB. I’m firmly in the Logan Thomas is the QB of the future for the Arizona Cardinals (I have been preaching on here since early February when all the draft posters started showing up) I begged and pleaded that the Cards at least take a flyer on him somewhere between rounds 5-7 (even trading to get a 7th round pick if he was still around in the 7th would have been a huge steal in the 7th) He started climbing up the draft boards after teams worked him out privately and I firmly believe Cardinals would not have gotten him a round later. I’m convinced Palmer has 2, and possibly 3 more productive years left in him, and jhopefully it is in a Cardinal uniform, all the while he can mentor Logan and as you pointed out BA and his QB/Offensive coaches are some of the best in the biz! By the time Carson bows out (as long as it is not after tis season! Praying for an extension!!) Logan Thomas will be ready to be the leader of our beloved Cardinals for many years to come! And if by chance he doesn’t turn out to be an NFL QB we will have 2-3 years to draft and develop another, and Thomas can make the transition to TE. Afar as Stanton goes, a trade is a very intriguing idea, but he would have to be “showcased” prior to so we could get quality in return, just not sure if preseason is going to be the proper stage, and I don’t have any ideas on getting him regular season snaps. Isn’t Drew a free agent after this year¥

29. By br in nc on Jul 17, 2014 | Reply

All day
    I agree with you on signing Angerer, we had 100% turnover on our starting ILB’s and are very thin but no need to cut Foote or Demens we need to build depth at ILB need competition, I say cut a WR or a CB, or a Kicker (don’t we still have 2 or 3 kickers on the roster?? Eventually we may cut 1 or 2 ILB’ but I don’t see that happening until final roster cutdown. Foote is a veteran and has had a very solid career, who knows he may come in and blow the lid off and end up starting ahead of Minter ( or at the least alongside him) we could have another J. Abraham and Foote could end up having a Pro Bowl type season, start with cutting an UDFA rookie who is nothing more than a camp body and let the ILB’s on the roster fight it out to the end.

30. By Darren Urban on Jul 18, 2014 | Reply