Cardinals among top 50 valued sports teams

Posted by Darren Urban on July 16, 2014 – 9:54 am

Forbes came out with another list ranking the (estimated) value of sports teams, in this case, the world’s 50 most valuable franchises. The Cardinals make the list at No. 40, with an estimated worth of $961 million. Only the Raiders and Jaguars don’t make the top 50 list among NFL teams, meaning that even though it is top-heavy with soccer clubs (the top three are soccer, a major nod to the global fan base the sport produces) the list still provides context of how powerful the NFL — which dominates the United States — remains.

The top team is the soccer club Real Madrid, valued at $3.44 billion. The top non-soccer franchise is the New York Yankees, worth $2.5 billion, at No. 4. The top NFL team is at No. 5, with the Dallas Cowboys coming in at $2.3 billion. The Patriots, Redskins and Giants are also in the top 10.

Among NFC West teams, the San Francisco 49ers ($1.224 billion) are 20th, the Seattle Seahawks ($1.081 billion) are 28th, and the St. Louis Rams ($875 million and hoping for a new stadium, which would boost their value) are 45th.

Forbesuse

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to “Cardinals among top 50 valued sports teams”

1. By D on Jul 16, 2014 | Reply

American Football is King and TV money is awesome.
    A long way from the Racine Cardinals.

2. By D on Jul 16, 2014 | Reply

I don’t remember last year’s camp, Darren does BA have the timed run for each position like Whiz? They better come back in shape…

3. By Darren Urban on Jul 16, 2014 | Reply

D —

RE: Run test

4. By Sean on Jul 16, 2014 | Reply

I want to start off by saying Bidwell Sr. is a classy, very high character & loyal guy, but when he was running this team, we would have NEVER made this list…. but thanks to Michael Bidwell, we are on are way up!!! I believe that Michael has done a much better job surrounding himself with smart & talented people, which will turn this team into a long term winner, leading to an increased team value….. WTG!!

5. By Scott H on Jul 16, 2014 | Reply

Well, at least we came in ahead of the Rams….pretty amazing that all but 2 NFL teams are in the top 50. THAT is dominant. Geez, I’m no math wiz, but that leaves 20 spots in the Top 50 for everything else BESIDES the NFL.

I might have thought that with our stadium, which is considered by many to be one of THE best pro sports facilities on the planet, the Cards might have come in a little higher.

6. By joelhc on Jul 16, 2014 | Reply

The raiders did not make the list that really amazes me even when i lived outside o dallas the only other jerersies i ever saw were college A&M, Longhorns, and it was the 90’s so U o miami and raiders jerseys my how the mighty have fallen.

7. By 'ZonaFan89 on Jul 17, 2014 | Reply

The Cardinals are priceless in my opinion!! No other franchise in any other sport even registers a blip against my Cards! They’re all a very, very, very distant second!

8. By Eric G on Jul 17, 2014 | Reply

@ Sean
    Thumbs down for the name flub. Learn to spell it right. However, I think the stadium has helped a little too. I never went to games at the old tin frying pan. Michael has done one heck of a job spending the money and turning this team into a winner.

9. By Dr. G. on Jul 17, 2014 | Reply

Once upon a time these sort of numbers were called “Chinese Money.” that might not be so PC today…

It is meaningless unless there is a sale, partial or otherwise. But, it is easier to obtain loans, and….. the tax man really likes these big numbers!

10. By cards4sb on Jul 18, 2014 | Reply

If it helps them win a Super Bowl then fantastic. Otherwise it really doesn’t matter. Go CARDS!!!!!

11. By clssylssy on Jul 19, 2014 | Reply

The Cards are one of the oldest franchises in the NFL so, LOL, it’s only taken over 100 years to get here? I recently read an article that had the Patriots, Chiefs, Redskins, and Cowboys Steelers all worth over a billion so, at least we made the list. Personally, I would rather have bragging rights for Superbowl rings and I would have to believe that our stadium plays a big part of the team’s “value”. I gutted it out sweating to death at Sun Devil stadium when our opponent fans outnumbered the Cardinal faithful and fans went primarily to cheer for Jake the Snake, and you saw more ASU Plummer jerseys than NFL gear. We’ve Come A Long Way Baby!

12. By Luke Thomas on Jul 20, 2014 | Reply

The Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis is only 19 years old. The Rams owner, Stan Kroenke, has purchased significant land in the L.A. area for leverage. He already has a residual fan base in L.A. so, a move out west might be his preference…using the stadium as an excuse. From my experience, living in St. Louis, most are diehard baseball fans yet, bandwagon football fans….go figure.