Now, it’s time for training camp

Posted by Darren Urban on July 24, 2014 – 2:09 pm

Optimism reigns every year when a team’s season begins and at no time does that optimism echo more than the day when training camp begins. That day, with all due respect to QB School is Friday. That’s when the Cardinals move into the hotel next to the stadium, when they take their conditioning test and when they get the speech from coach Bruce Arians about the goals for the season. They are the same goals every season — eventually ending with a title, of course — but they must be repeated all the same.

There will be ups and downs. Some players will have a bad stretch. Somebody will get hurt, and you just hope it isn’t a season-ender. Some new players might now work out. It’s how a team deals with these events that determines the course of the final won-loss record.

I think the Cardinals have a chance to be as good or better than last year. I think their defense might need some adjustments with the losses of the inside linebackers, but I think Todd Bowles can make something work. I think, assuming health, the offense will be better. I don’t think Carson Palmer is going to morph into Peyton or even Kurt Warner, but I think he will benefit by an upgraded offensive line. How this all plays out, ultimately, with a won-loss record depends on a lot of moving parts, not all of which are under the Cardinals’ control. But they have a chance to be good, and over the years, that hasn’t always been the case.

Here’s your link for all the training camp info, by the way, and click here for all the stories and videos of our coverage.

Tags: , , ,

21 Responses to “Now, it’s time for training camp”

1. By Nick Pepe on Jul 24, 2014 | Reply

I have been a Cards fan since 70-71. I turn 50 (mind boggling) two days before we host the SB. I couldn’t script this better. The tools are there. We just need the breaks and bounces !!

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member
    It’s good to be a Card fan

2. By Junior Clement on Jul 24, 2014 | Reply

Darren the Raiders just released Kevin Burnett, any chance the Cards take a look at him at ILB?

3. By T. Stone on Jul 24, 2014 | Reply

This season will hinge on 2 people. Todd Bowles and Carson Palmer I agree. If Bowles plays Cromartie and Peterson both on an Island and thinks that our backers will hold the middle, then the D is in trouble. This his Bowles year to prove if he is Head Coach material and that scenario would in my opinion be disastrous. Palmer plays within his skill set like he did last year we can sniff the playoffs. Simple as that.

4. By jwoodaz on Jul 24, 2014 | Reply

oh my Darren is that optimism i hear in your words? welcome sir, may this be our best season yet..

5. By jwoodaz on Jul 24, 2014 | Reply

p.s. May we have an Underground PLEASE!!!

6. By jwoodaz on Jul 24, 2014 | Reply

P.P.S. thank you for all your work in helping all of us who support this Football Club to stay in touch with as much as you can bring to us, it is a wonderful thing to have that Cardinal moment each day.

7. By Dynosoar on Jul 24, 2014 | Reply

Nick Pepe,

My 40th birthday began with a black balloon party with forty friends and family, it ended with a win over the Eagles for the NFC Championship. Enjoy your 50th and let’s see if the Cardinals can win one for the Pepe! (Well, doesn’t ring quite the same as the Gipper, yet.)

Junior Clement, I don’t know anything about Burnett. What do you know about him, why was he released and what do you like about him?

8. By Nick Pepe on Jul 24, 2014 | Reply

Awesome !!! I’m sure there many who feel “due”, but not too many of us go back to the Stl days. That made my tail wag Dyno !!! Good things are gonna happen.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member
    Game On

9. By D on Jul 24, 2014 | Reply

Hard to predict wins/losses…but one thing I will predict is that A. Ellington will be more known by NFL fans this year and probably a great pickup for Fantasy teams. A star in the making.

flashback:
    It would be hard for Larry Centers/Jake P. to find a skunk around that hotel for pranks on rookies..

10. By Bishop on Jul 24, 2014 | Reply

The big question for this years training camp is, who’s eyebrow is Docket going to shave off?

11. By Dr. G. on Jul 24, 2014 | Reply

Darren – Thanks for noting that 5 of the 6 Division games are in the second half as we discussed prior. Now, if we do OK in the first half, I think we will be ready for fire come those last 5 Division games. By then, all the new personnel should be acclimated to one another and actually executing better. I’m thinking this weird schedule plays in our favor…. Be well…

12. By heyyoucallhimdrjones on Jul 24, 2014 | Reply

I’m anxious to watch even the first pre-season game at this point. Can’t wait to see what the O does this year.

And yes, a Cards Underground please. Just more video in general. :)

13. By Dynosoar on Jul 24, 2014 | Reply

Nick,

Good things for sure. The first games I watched we had Hart throwing the ball. I still don’t like the Giants or the Cowboys, I’m getting over my dislike for the Redskins and never have been bothered by the Eagles, they were always at the bottom with us.

Good things for sure. I’m looking forward to a Cardinals birthday present for you. I know it is both possible and probable this season. Looking forward to this season’s ride. Remind me the week of and I’ll fly a black balloon for you and a couple that are Cardinals red as well. Haha.

Nick. Good things for sure!

14. By Scott H on Jul 25, 2014 | Reply

Ha! LOVE this time of year! Starting to smell some football ( real AND fantasy ) in the air….

15. By Scott H on Jul 25, 2014 | Reply

Also, just saw the pic of BA on the home page and I gotta say that the man presents SOOO much better without the tall white socks. I like the new look, big man! Go on with your bad self!

16. By Scott H on Jul 25, 2014 | Reply

Dyno / Nick Pepe –

I’ll be spending my 49th b-day this October in Glendale for my first ever trip to a Cardinals home game. And it’s against the Eagles as well. NOTHING better than a win against the Eagles ( except maybe the Seahawks ). I go back to the St Louis days as well, the days of Jim Hart and Busch Memorial Satdium. Good to know there are some other old timers out there….

17. By Ben on Jul 25, 2014 | Reply

Just a quick thanks urban for keeping football relevant all off-season, not sure how i would manage without your articles and write ups. You guys do a great job over there. Looking forward to a BIG season this year.

18. By Nick Pepe on Jul 25, 2014 | Reply

Love it Scott H !!!! It’s the year of the Cardinal. Gotta believe.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member
    Tough week, I need a beer.

19. By Nick Pepe on Jul 25, 2014 | Reply

You know it’s football season:
    Friday prime time happy hour at Elks Lodge #2281: wife has already asked me three times to put the phone away and “socialize”.
    I responded, “I am socializing, just not with oh people”,

I may be walking home

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

20. By br in nc on Jul 27, 2014 | Reply

Old St Louis fan here as well (still diehard birds on the bat, and bluenote fan) I celebrate my bday either on SBSunday or the week of, 2 Feb rolls around to SB sunday every now and then, so it makes the bday extra special when they fall on the same day, im pushing 50, so not in any huge rush for my bday to get here, although this bday for 2015 can speed on in like the spped of light, it cant get here fast enough, I would/should be back stateside (hopefully we come back with the same amount of Marines we left with) by my bday, hopefully I will be rooting for the Cardinals making history by becoming the first team to win the SB on their homefield

21. By Nick Pepe on Jul 27, 2014 | Reply

Hey BR – thank you for your service and our freedom. Get home safely and it’s gonna be a special birthday!!

Nick Pepe