Dock’s unique (*@!%) perspective on Fitz

Posted by Darren Urban on July 25, 2014 – 4:44 pm

Darnell Dockett was talking Friday about being a veteran and whether the window was closing on players like himself and Larry Fitzgerald, both of whom are going into their 11th season. “The position I play is the most physical position on the field,” Dockett said. “Can’t do it 20, 21 years.”

Then Dockett decided to have a little fun at Fitzgerald’s expense, punctuated with a few words that won’t be able to be played over the air.

“Larry, that’s a different position,” Dockett said. “He plays wide receiver. Play that (expletive) as long as you want. Jerry Rice played, what, 18 years? Larry is always in shape, Larry will probably be 20 (seasons) in the (expletive) league. He never gets hit, he always falls down, he don’t get tackled.”

Dockett was smiling and he got chuckles from those listening. Someone chimed in that Fitz was also everybody’s friend in the league too, which may or may not help him from taking the particularly nasty hits.

“Of course, he gets Pro Bowl votes, (and) with 600 receiving yards he’s the starting wide receiver in the Pro Bowl,” Dockett continued, smile still in place. “He’s the friendliest guy I’ve ever (expletive) met in my life.

“My position, you ain’t gonna have no friends. You shake hands after the game but during the game you’re trying to kill each other. I’m fortunate to be playing the position at the highest level. I don’t look at the years as far as the window closing. I look at it the opportunities to play the snaps. I’m blessed. Unfortunately I’m not 185 and 6-3 and run and catch fade routes all game. I do the dirty work. I’m all good. I’m thankful. Somebody’s got to do it.”

DockForBlog

Tags: , ,

16 Responses to “Dock’s unique (*@!%) perspective on Fitz”

1. By UK Cards Fan on Jul 25, 2014 | Reply

I (expletive) love Dockett.

2. By Kurt on Jul 25, 2014 | Reply

Even alligator lovers can have a sense of humor

3. By josh on Jul 25, 2014 | Reply

Gotta love#90. He says what he wants and backs it up with play.

4. By Dr. G. on Jul 25, 2014 | Reply

Always been a Dockett fan…you usually get the blunt truth blended with an unusual sense of humor. Last season he claimed more freedom of movement, less heat and a smaller helmet with losing the dreds. I’m thinking that increased wisdom kicked in for him just before that as well… The recent look is cooler, literally… my man Dockett – 90! He has a new energy to bring since BA too!…

I wonder if he says something in private to Fitz about the dreds…like….it’s time dude! Fitz said he made some sort of statement to his mom that he would never cut them… Later… Gonna be a good season…

5. By Dr. G. on Jul 25, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren- Are there any camp days in August that are not open for public to view? I have some kids that need to visit…. Thanks again for your diligence…

6. By Darren Urban on Jul 25, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Open dates

If it’s on the schedule here: http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/training-camp-info.html then it is open to the public.

7. By CardFan on Jul 25, 2014 | Reply

I love this guy!! By far my favorite Cardinal! Hope he gets 20 sacks this year.

8. By Dynosoar on Jul 26, 2014 | Reply

As to Fitz’s dreads, maybe his speed is tied to his dreads like Samson’s strength was tied to his.

This sport has it’s gladiators and it’s won in the trenches by them and Docket is one who wins the trench battle. Washington, Dansby, Lennon and others perform at such a high level because of players like Docket.

I’d love to see footage of our defensive line going against Cooper and Veldeheer. They will all make each other better.

I’m simply giddy when I think of this upcoming season.

9. By Jay Nesbitt on Jul 26, 2014 | Reply

DD is one of those Cardinals for life, and honestly i couldn’t pick another player to have that honor, hes following great cardinals like A williams, Frank Sanders, Martay Jenkins, Larry Centers, Pat tillman, and another great of our time LFITZ…. DD is a type of player that you cant train, mold or create he is a unique beast! with great public relations skills. We wouldnt have been able to achieve half of what we have over the past decade without DD and im sure i speak for all the birdgang when i say we love DD just as much as Fitz!!!!! DD for defensive player of the year this year!

10. By clssylssy on Jul 26, 2014 | Reply

Dockett is Dockett and Fitz is Fitz, good to have a mixture of personalities and talents which is what makes up a great team. Dockett is right though about the way Fitz treats everyone which is what has earned him the respect of players, fans and coaches throughout the league and beyond. Michael Strahan introduced Fitz at the Kids Choice Awards as “Mr. Everything” which says a lot about not only Fitz but the team he has choosen to play for and his teammates.
    Love the dreds but then again I liked Dockett’s hair long too and was surprised when such an individualist went for the institutional buzz cut. Whatever their preference, it’s not about the hair but the play they bring to the field which hasn’t changed in the degree of passion they continue to bring to the game!

11. By Chris Shatto on Jul 26, 2014 | Reply

(expletive) hilarious!

12. By Scott H on Jul 26, 2014 | Reply

Hey, even with as many players as there are with them in the league at this point, NO ONE wears the dreds as well as Fitz does. Period. Can’t even imagine him without them and I hope he keeps them until the day he retires ( and beyond, if he wishes ). As for DD, I wish he still had the dreds. They gave him that Predator look, ya know? It was a good look for him. He looks smaller without them. But I would imagine that when you play on the D-line and your in the trenches on every play and guys are looking to grab anything they can get their hands on….maybe the dreds aren’t the way to go.

13. By br in nc on Jul 27, 2014 | Reply

Jay Nesbitt,

Uummm, may I ask a question, is Martay Jenkins a typo on your list of Cardinal greats??? Not sure how he qualifies as a Cardinal great, willing to bet most people (Cardinal fans included) dont remember much about him, heck he was only a Cardinal maybe 3-4 years, didnt do much of anything except return kickoffs (which he did quite abit one year because we got scored on almost every time the other team touched the ball, so he got a heck of a workout one year, but I dont remember him doing anything at all as a WR, or any other position the other few years he was a Cardinal, the guy couldnt cut it in arena football or the CFL, I hardly think he should be classified as a Cardinal great.

14. By br in nc on Jul 27, 2014 | Reply

I was the definition of estatic when we grabbed DD in the 3rd round of the draft!!! Have to admit I was cursing the Cards for not yanking him off the board in the 2nd rd, I said to my buddies watching with me that the Cards had blown it agian, no way he is around in the 3rd round and the Cardinals werent known as “movers & shakers” in the draft back then, they tended to stay with their picks, and wouldnt move up to get anyone, they might move down for extra picks, but not known to try and move up, so I just knew they had blown it, I yanked off my Cards jersey and commenced to sulk, well I guess pout is probably a better description, then as 3rd picks started and DD was still available I threw my jersey back on and was screaming so loud at the tv that the pictures on top were actually rattling, I had a sore throat for days from screaming so much. But I also knew that Darnell was pissed at his draft position and that he was going to make all those teams pay that passed on him, you could tell he was on a mission to prove to everyone that he was much better than 3rd round talent, I truly believe that helps him stay as motivated as he is today, he isnt finished proving to the NFL front offices of all the teams that he was/is 1st round talent and should have been picked in round #1.

15. By BigAl on Jul 27, 2014 | Reply

Fitz is the franchise…but Dock is the heart & soul of Team!

2. Jul 26, 2014: Darnell Dockett offers his unique take on Larry Fitzgerald