“All mental camp” and Arians notes

Posted by Darren Urban on July 26, 2014 – 12:48 pm

Bruce Arians met with the media after the morning walkthrough with the first practice of camp — remember, no pads until Monday — coming this afternoon. It’s that schedule that leaves the old school Arians shaking his head a bit. “It’s really hard to call this ‘camp’ anymore,” Arians said. “There’s no physical grind to this stuff like their used to be. It’s all mental.”

With that, Arians said he expects his team to be on the top of its game mentally. There were too many penalties in the spring, he said, and when it comes to pre-snap penalties, that’s a very bad thing . (Hopefully, B.A. doesn’t decide to do what the Jets have done, which means any practice offside forces everyone — media relations people, other team staff included — to do pushups.)

“(Mental mistakes) have to decrease and it really should now that we’ve been in this a year,” Arians said.

On to the other notable things from the media session:

– QB Carson Palmer, evaluating the roster: “This is by far the most talented team I’ve been on.”

– Palmer and Arians have discussed using the no-huddle more this season. The Cardinals didn’t use it much at all last year. Palmer ran it successfully many years in Cincinnati and now that the Cards understand the offense better, it may be a better fit.

– When Arians talks about RB Robert Hughes, fourth on the depth chart behind Ellington, Taylor and Dwyer, you get the sense he likes him a lot. He thinks he’s an excellent blocker, which is a big deal to Arians. It’ll be a surprise if Hughes doesn’t make the roster as a fourth back, especially because Hughes can play special teams.

– LB John Abraham has not yet returned from his personal business and will miss practice Saturday.

– How much the Cardinals use Patrick Peterson in the return game “remains to be seen,” Arians said.

– Arians isn’t a fan of the officials being able to call penalties for things said on the field, just because it’s a heat of the moment situation.

– Arians said he’s looking forward to the kicking competition, especially since preseason extra points will be moved back and will be more like field goal tries. Rookie Chandler Catanzaro is intriguing, Arians said. Asked if he would worry about having a rookie kicker, Arians didn’t flinch. “I don’t give a (expletive), whatever position it is,” Arians said. “If they can play, they can play. Everybody has got to be a rookie sometime.”

Tags: , , , , , ,

14 Responses to ““All mental camp” and Arians notes”

1. By Dynosoar on Jul 26, 2014 | Reply

I remember discussion around eliminating vs modifying vs not changing the extra point attempt (guarantee?). It sounds like something did change.
    1. What was the modification, how far back will the extra point be moved and
    2. is this only pre-season to test the waters?
    3. If successful (whatever successful is determined to be) will it find it’s way into regular season this year or would it wait a year?

Man, I know footballs close when we get more than two articles in a day.

2. By Steve on Jul 26, 2014 | Reply

Darren: Do you feel our wide receiver group as a whole is the most talented that the Cards have had in awhile?

3. By CreditCard on Jul 26, 2014 | Reply

I’m kind of interested in some of the non-drafted rookies. They will play obviously the first couple of preseason games, and perhaps the last preseason game. Other than that, I believe they are wooed by various teams, what makes certain player select the Cardinals vs. another team. How do these guys get playing reps etc.. What is your opinion of the non-drafted class? Any players stand out? Any players stand out for the coaches? Your opinion(s)

4. By CreditCard on Jul 26, 2014 | Reply

Another topic. All NFL teams have quality players and money. To me what separates one team from another is the assistant coaches, trainers, scouts etc.. Seems to me, the Cardinals are building a good management / coaching staff. Can you shed a little light on the assistants and their roles, along with others w/I the organization (scouts, trainers, middle managers etc…)

5. By Darren Urban on Jul 26, 2014 | Reply

Steve —

RE: WR

Well, it was pretty good when it was Fitz, Q, Breaston.

6. By Scott H on Jul 26, 2014 | Reply

There are going to be penalties for things being SAID on the field? Can we really be that far away from flag football at this point? The NFL is just about out of control with this crap. Oops, I think I just got 15 yards and loss of down for saying that. My bad. This ain’t golf, Mr Goodell. It’s FOOTBALL and football just wasn’t meant to be a gentleman’s game. Give us a friggin break, man. Oops, I think I just got ejected for that one….

As a long time fan of this sport, I think I speak for the majority when I say that the, um, colorful language used on the field during games by the players ( AND THE COACHES!!! ) is SO much a part of the charm of the NFL. Isn’t it??? I mean, is there anything funnier than watching clips of players ( AND COACHES!!! ) on the field being bleeped all over the place??? I LOVE that! OK, maybe they shouldn’t be making terroristic threats or saying bad things about someone’s momma. Got that. But there is no football without EMOTION! And we can’t ask these guys to play with the emotion that makes the game great while also asking them to watch their language ( and to not hit the other players too hard ).

C’mon, man….the NFL is really starting to tamper too much with its own product. It’s been just about the greatest product on planet earth for the past several decades now. But it ain’t gonna stay that way if they keep screwing around with it the way they are these days.

Wonder if it’s OK to say “ain’t” on the field this year….it ain’t grammatically correct, after all. Can’t have that if we’re gonna start playing games in such refined places like London, can we? Gimme a friggin break. Oops, just got a 4 game-suspension for saying that.

7. By Darren Urban on Jul 26, 2014 | Reply

CreditCard —

RE: UDFAs

Once they show up, it’s about what the coaches think of them on an individual basis depending on the position. Early on, I think guys like LB Glenn Carson and a couple of the defensive linemen have a chance to stick. But again, it’s about the circumstances at each position. Little early to know, especially for the linemen who have never put on pads.

8. By br in nc on Jul 27, 2014 | Reply

Scott H,
    Ithink the penalties will be more for the use of one word, that is what I have gotten from what little I have read, nbcsports profootballtalk.com had an article on it and it was centered around racial slurs in general and the “n” word specifically, first offense automatic 15 yard penalty, with a second offense from the same player would be automatic ejection from the game, they fell pretty strongly that it will get full support from the commitees that it needs and will be ratified into nfl rules, it has to come about to be fair to all in the wake of the Dolphins Bullying, and of course that idiot Billionaire Donald Sterling vs NBA, but there is talk to expand it to banning religious slurs, sexual slurs, and other racial slurs (assuming that means other than the n word) but the way I read it players can curse/cuss like Marines (sorry sailors, I have my loyalties! LoL!) so evidently multiple “F” bombs mixed with a few “GD”s and a s$&t, s&$t, s$&t thrown in to balance your cursing tyrade is ok as long as you dont throw in once race, color, or religion, oh and of course sexual preference (because in today “pc” society it wont be long before the bible will be changed, and adam & eve will have to read adam and s…..) nevermind, I need to keep my opinions out of this reply and just answer on what little I have read, but yes Scott, it seems to be true, and yes, I agree 100% with you, footbal “ain’t” football without the multiple bleeps and a good old fashioned azz chewing by the coach, I cant remember how many times my coach would grab ahold of my facemask and commence to jerk me around like a ragdoll, while calling me and my momma every worthless, disgusting name in the book, and even some that werent in any book, for some bonehead play I would make, or not make, any you know what, I dont think I ever made the same mistake twice, by god.

9. By br in nc on Jul 27, 2014 | Reply

Agree with you, I think they have a ways to go to top your trio…but if they keep improving they have the potential to overtake fitz, q, breaston. That is of course if Fitz remains a Cardinal after this season!

10. By Davemaham on Jul 27, 2014 | Reply

I love BA, he’s much more entertaining and talented than the last coach. We suffered through whiz’s final qb blunder years. But it’s paid off in the end! In my opinion this is the most talented Cardinals team since being in Arizona. From rookies on up to coaching, management and ownership. I appreciate what Whiz did, and think hell do even better his second time around. But I’m glad we got BA.

11. By clssylssy on Jul 27, 2014 | Reply

When the refs start penalizing for things said on the field, it’s discretionary (unsportsmanlike conduct) and, I believe, it’s been there all along…another one of those “gray areas” which, IMO, is detrimental to the game as it leaves the door open for cheating and corruptions. . The league likes to believe that this never happens but with all the money being bet from Vegas to the local bar, etc., we all know otherwise. For the protection of the officials and everyone else, not to mention the integrity of the game, all “discretionary” calls should be abolished and coaches should be able to challenge any call if it doesn’t exceed their alloted three challenges. (This was voted down by the owners?) Referee “mistakes” even when witnessed by millions on TV, acknowledged and apologized for after the fact, can change the playoff picture dramatically as we all know from our experience with the Eagles last season,and are often the fuel for fan altercations in the stands. I’m still trying to make sense out of moving the PAT to the 45 which makes any fakes nearly impossible and further waters down the competition? Perhaps you could review for all of us the new changes voted in by the owners (there were only five) and the philosophy that went into their changes. The “player safety” line is wearing a little thin!

12. By clssylssy on Jul 27, 2014 | Reply

*Note typo of 45, should have been 25!

13. By Scott H on Jul 27, 2014 | Reply

br in nc –

Well, when it comes to the really ugly AND very personal stuff like race, sexual orientation, religion, etc,, YES, I think those things are over the line and they have no place on the field or in the locker room, IMHO. But….I’m just not sure penalties on the field are going to effectively stop that. And I don’t know what truly will. I don’t have that answer.

The bullying thing, for me, is definitely a locker room thing and it seems that that culture probably needs to change to a significant degree. For real. Let’s be honest – a room full of NFL players ( young, emotional, volatile guys with varying levels of maturity ) is NOT often going to police itself as well as we might think it should. Every team is different, I’m sure. But I hear that some head coaches do not even go into their locker rooms because they actually FEEL that they are not welcome there. Others may stay away because they want the players to have that place that is just theirs. Regardless, that situation that played out in Miami last summer showed just how wrong THAT can go. Assuming that we can actually count on the coaches to police a locker room effectively, it would seem to me that coaches NEED to be in those locker rooms in order to know what is REALLY going on there.

NFL locker rooms should NOT belong to these players. Ultimately, these players are employees of an NFL organization and the locker room is part of the work place. As such, the employer has every right to be there AND probably should be. It is fine for players to have privacy from reporters and cameras in the locker room. I have no problem with that. But if / when it goes to the point where the players are dictating whether the HEAD COACH is welcome in the locker room or not….that is a problem.

14. By br in nc on Jul 28, 2014 | Reply

Scott H
    Honestly I have a hard time figuring out how a 6-4 310-320lb grown man lets himself be bullyed, or admits that he was a victim, and last but surely not least, runs off and “cry’s foul” and basically cowers in a corner somewhere, and lets the world know on top of everything else!! Im 5-11 & 195lbs, and consider myself in great shape, I have to be in top shape in order to lead Marines, especially in combat, we have a credo, lead from the front, I also lead by example, and I never ask my Marines to do something that I would not do! at my age it is tough to stay out in front of a platoon of hard charging young Marines but I just work 10 times harder so I can remain out in front, I dont consider myself some “billy badass” although in special operations units I have many hours of specialized training and have taught many hours of it as well over my 22 years in the Corps, and one way or another if I was ever the victim of a bully it would stop, and real quick no matter the size of the bully!! We have a saying the bigger they are, the farther they have to fall, and the longer it takes them to bleed out! If I were the size of an NFL lineman becoming the victim of a bully would not even register in my brain, I think it would last all of 30 seconds and it wouldnt be pretty, I know that violence is not politically correct in todays society, but as a man, sometimes it has to be the solution, If a few of these bully’s were taken out and beaten to a pulp in front of other bully’s, I think the problem wouldgo away or diminish greatly! A good example of no tolerance, In Saudi Arabia, and some other hard core muslim country’s, stealing of personal property is almost non existant, you could put your wallet stuffed full of money in the middle of the city square and leave it for hours, 99% of the time it is right where you left it, untouched, because thiefs get there hand cut off in public, first offense, I have seen it happen, chop it right off at the wrist, there are even a few lowlifes who lost both hands because they didnt get the message the first time! Dang somehow I got to rambling and veered off subject a tad, sorry, but in a way my ramblings apply but are more extreme than most, that I do admit to