Brown’s bomb; Sendlein hurt

Posted by Darren Urban on July 28, 2014 – 5:42 pm

The first padded practice was exactly what you’d want — eventful, with a lot of hitting. Unfortunately, such things can come with a price. Starting center Lyle Sendlein left early in the workout during one-on-one drills with the defensive line after hurting his left calf. No word on the seriousness of the injury. Ted Larsen stepped in to play center on the first unit and as 11-on-11 began, you could tell the chemistry with Larsen and QB Carson Palmer were not there. There were a couple of misplayed snaps/fumbles in the first few plays. It got ironed out. We’ll see what will happen with Sendlein.

Otherwise, the hitting was intense. During the pass protection drills between the linebackers and tight ends/running backs, it’s tough to see Bruce Arians get any more fired up than he did with that. There were some incredible collisions, including when linebacker Kenny Demens just crushed running back Damien Thigpen (who, to be fair, is only 5-8 and 180).

But it was hard not to notice that rookie wide receiver John Brown, who everyone raved about but said needed to wear pads and prove it that way, still shined. His first long pass after putting on pads, he beat cornerback Justin Bethel — who isn’t exactly slow — by a couple of steps and hauled in an 82-yard touchdown in stride. More on Brown on the homepage in a bit.

In other notes:

– Sendlein wasn’t the only injury. Defensive tackle is becoming an issue. Alameda Ta’amu is already on PUP and Dan Williams sat out with a sore left knee, so Christian Tupou stepped in in the middle of the 3-4 defense — only to leave early with what looked like some kind of right thigh injury. He walked off the field at the end of practice, though, having taken off his ice wrap, so it may not be a big deal.

– The fears of having a big hitter at safety: On one play, wide receiver Jaron Brown couldn’t hold on to a pass in the end zone with cornerback Jerraud Powers behind him and rookie safety Deone Bucannon coming at his chest. But Bucannon was a step or two away, and popped him (not full on) after Brown dropped the pass. Arians yelled across the field, “That’s a flag” so Bucannon understood that just can’t happen in today’s game. It was bang-bang, but Arians is right — it probably draws a penalty.

– The Cardinals ran a “fire” field goal drill on a “mishandled” snap. Holder Dave Zastudil rolled left and lofted a pass toward undrafted rookie tackle Kelvin Palmer. Palmer, 6-4 and 302, made a great catch while shielding the ball with his body from coverage linebacker Alex Okafor. I wish I had a picture or video. It was impressive from the big man.

– Former Cardinals offensive lineman Leonard “Bigg” Davis made an appearance on the sideline, as did former safety Kwamie Lassiter.

FirstPagBlog

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

20 Responses to “Brown’s bomb; Sendlein hurt”

1. By CreditCard on Jul 28, 2014 | Reply

Any team can win it all — that is why the NFL is a fan favorite. Funky looking ball that has weird bounces. Guys dressed in black and white striped jerseys that see things that the rest of mankind doesn’t. These same striped jersey men also can’t see obvious things that even the blind can see.

Anything can happen

2. By T. Stone on Jul 28, 2014 | Reply

@ CreditCard

I guess you picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

3. By T. Stone on Jul 28, 2014 | Reply

Lassiter is a favorite of mine, but Davis can take his Bigg Arse and his Cardinal bashing back to Dallas. Why did they let him in the building?

4. By T. Stone on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

Speaking of Big Davis, what is next? Simeon Rice, Lomas Brown and Seth Joiner? Once you call your former team the Armpit of the NFL (Rice) or bash the Organization just because you can, (Boomer) you should be Banned. Take your big shoes and keep on walking Leonard Davis.

5. By louis on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

news flash another blow for cards john abraham is done for D.W.I.charge – bad for cards.

6. By Marlin on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

Is the new kid TE getting any snaps? Is his hand still wrapped? How is Ballard?

7. By Andy Kw on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

-I am not happy to see Eric Winston signing with the Seattle Seahawks.
    -I am disappointed in John Abraham’s arrest. Hopefully this is no suspension.
    -I am glad to see Alfonso Smith getting another chance to play in the NFL.
    -Injuries are getting worse with Dan Williams and Lyle Sendlein.

8. By Darren Urban on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

Marlin —

RE: Niklas/Ballard

Yes, Niklas’ hand is still wrapped.

As for Ballard, he is fine. Practiced yesterday.

9. By D on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

I remember that day in 2000 with A. Wiliams interception..the Redskins were not a great team, luckily all of their speed was on defense and not offense so no one was able to run him down. That Redskin team had M. Carrier, Deion Sanders and Champ Bailey in the secondary…wow, not to mention some guy named Bruce Smith on the DL.

Good to see former players out yesterday, Lassister and Big Davis. It’s early in camp, no reason to worry about these injuries yet…

10. By clssylssy on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

I am with Andy in hating to see Winston sign with Seattle but wish him luck I was hoping we would sign him as I’m still not sure our O-line is as strong as hyped especially with Sandelein now injured and that’s a place where depth is needed. Lyle Sandelein is probably one of the most undervalued players we have and while on one level I can understand Keim’s push to make our roster younger, there are some positions where youth is no substitute for maturity and experience, the ability to read and react without all the showy unnecessary roughness that draws flags, etc. I’m hoping that we won’t lose John Abraham and from the looks of your poll, it would appear than a number of fans are skeptical about our ILB corp being able to maintain the standard set by our lost talent, there again, not because of the skill level but more a lack of experience.

11. By Andy Kw on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

-I am impressed with Rookie WR John Brown. I had my doubts but I am glad to say I was wrong. This guy is an explosive WR.
    -TE John Carlson looks impressive in both his blocking and receiving skills. This guy definitely looks like a steal off waivers.
    -The Strong Safety that looks mentally ready is Tony Jefferson. If he can convert his training camp success onto the field, I would not be surprised to see him beat out Deone Bucannon for the starting job. Bucannon has special talent but he isn’t at the place where we want him to be yet.
    -Alex Okafor is coming along better than I expected. He is probably our future starting OLB. I hope he split reps with John Abraham. Sam Acho and Alex Okafor have done a great job so far. They are getting back to form and I could not be happier.
    -Glad to see TE Troy Niklas on the field even with his hand injury.
    -C Ted Larsen better step up to the plate. Lyle Sendlein is going to be out for a while and I hope this guy is a reliable backup.

12. By Scott H on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

OK, we need Sendlein back at center, pronto.

13. By Scott H on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

D –

I believe the Williams play against the Redskins was a fumble recovery, not an interception.

14. By D on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

Who better to know the weaknesses of Winston than our def players and coaches…I see this as a postive for the Cards, it’s not like he was an All Pro Tackle..

15. By clssylssy on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

D-
    It’s not a matter of Winston being All Pro or not. It pays to have good depth at the 0-line, and guys who know the scheme, have been thrown in previously with some success are going to be more ready and prepared than Joe College who hasn’t seen Jack in NFL playing time or with our offense. It’s called having solid insurance…somebody who the offense knows and who knows the offense. The strength of your backups can make or break hopes for the playoffs when the injury buy begins taking it’s toll! Glad to hear Sandlein will be back before regular season and perhaps his unfortunate absence will provide some valuable playing time experience for his backup.
    I see Antonio Cromartie is out with a pectoral injury and I hope he is going to be able to remain healthy for the season. We need that strong defense at the beginning of the season this year if we are to make the playoffs.

16. By br in nc on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

I have to admit when I saw “with the 90 something pick (91st I believe ) the Arizona Cardinals select John Brown Pittsburg State (without the “h” and without thestate behind Pittsburgh ) at first I said, who? Where? And I was very skeptical, actually a little disappointed, as much as I love to see Division II, or III or NAIA small school guys get drafted and even get a shot to prove they belong in the NFL I thought this was a serious reach on the Cardinals part, I know its still very early but I think Mr Ginn is in for a fight for #3 WR spot, as well I think Brown is going to drastically improve our special teams. as a kick returner and possibly punt returner as well (does anyone know if he is working as a punt returner?) If he carry’s. over his KR skills from college he could very well make the pro bowl as the KR, I’m happy to admit that what I thought was a reach could very well end up being a steal, if not ” the steal of the draft”! No wonder the Cardinals or no other NFL team has ever returned my calls to be GM! LOL!

17. By BigAl on Jul 30, 2014 | Reply

I’m trying to remain positive here…With underrated Sendlein out for most of camp, opportunity for Larson & others to get some much needed Reps…learning
    the gang (OL) tendencies…Palmer etc…this can be somewhat of a good thing so long as Lyle gets back a week or so b4 the season starts! Also better evaluation
    for BA & Mr. K. to see what we got &/or what we might lack?

Brown keeps proving to look better & better the more we see of him!!!

I believe our LB core group as a whole will do the same! Try to remember back to last year & how many of these guys we lost to injury very early in the season…
    Didn’t we lose like 3 LB’s in the Saints game alone?

I’ll tell ya…yes, its early to start having injuries start pilling up…however, I would rather take a dozen or soo of these type of nagging injuries now…than during the season…(as stated earlier…so we can see the two’s & three’s go against the one’s) than any kind of season ender like Coop had last year!

As w/Abraham also…we now get to see what Okafor, Tracy, & even Acho has coming back!

So soo far/as of now…its all good really…We need the answers to what these injuries are providing!

2. Jul 28, 2014: First Impressions from Arizona Cardinals Training Camp 2014 — PureFootballPureFootball — Your source for everything about football! — News and tweets about everything football — Football scores, news, NFL
  3. Jul 28, 2014: First Impressions from Arizona Cardinals Training Camp 2014 | IamDistinct
  4. Jul 29, 2014: NFL Training Camps 2014: Updates, Rumors and Analysis for July 29 | Distinct Athlete