Keim perspective as pads go on

Posted by Darren Urban on July 28, 2014 – 9:25 am

The Cardinals will put on the pads for the first time this afternoon, which changes the dynamic of training camp. That was part of the theme today when GM Steve Keim went on the Doug and Wolf show on Arizona Sports 620 this morning — what will happen when the pads go on.

– Keim wants to see rookie WR John Brown in pads, and see what the kid can do coming across the middle when, say safety Deone Bucannon is about to drill him. That’s not a big surprise, since it’s what everyone has been saying about Brown. He’s been impressive. “We haven’t been able to cover him,” Keim said. But that could change when the pads go on. As Patrick Peterson said, after Brown burned him on a play, “I told him he’s not going to be that much faster than me when he’s got those shoulder pads on.”

– Keim said he thought right tackle Bobby Massie looks like he’s in the best shape of his career (and I have always thought Massie was in pretty good shape anyway) and “he looks focused.” But Keim wants to see Massie in pads too, and frankly, that’s the only real way to judge linemen.

– The GM admitted to having a concern in the offseason for guard Jonathan Cooper after noticing a “little limp,” but the first two practices have erased those concerns.

– Keim acknowledged that taking Patrick Peterson off punt returns is in part because the Cardinals haven’t had as much return success with Peterson doing that job the last couple of years.

– Asked about absent linebacker John Abraham, Keim said “I’m not concerned at all. He’ll be back at some point here and Bruce (Arians) has excused him for personal matters.”

– With Aeneas Williams going into the Hall of Fame Saturday, we have created a page for Aeneas (azcardinals.com/aeneas) where all the stories and videos about Williams will live. Check it out.

Tags: , , , , , ,

14 Responses to “Keim perspective as pads go on”

1. By T. Stone on Jul 28, 2014 | Reply

Could a Live Cardinal Cam be considered at camp for Card fans that are just a bit outside of the Arizona zip code?

2. By Darren Urban on Jul 28, 2014 | Reply

T. Stone —

RE: Live cam

It’s been discussed. Not sure logistically if it fits.

3. By John on Jul 28, 2014 | Reply

Seconded on the live cam. How sweet would that be to be able to watch practice from home?!

4. By MostlyRight on Jul 28, 2014 | Reply

The Patriots would probably cover the costs of the live cams for all NFL team’s camps and practices.

5. By Andy Kw on Jul 28, 2014 | Reply

Just thinking about the future for this organization?
    -In my opinion, I think John Brown will forever remain our WR#3. But I am a bit skeptical about Fitzgerald’s future. I think the team will try to rework a contract that will open up a lot more cap space for next season.
    -So Alex Okafor could possibly be John Abraham’s replacement for next season? If this guy plays to the expectations we had for him when he was drafted, I think this guy could very well be Abraham’s younger twin.
    -DE/OLB Kareem Martin was a team captain at North Carolina. I could see him battling Sam Acho for reps behind Matt Shaughnessy. I think Acho’s experience and quality will elevate him above Martin but the question is, who will be our future starting OLB when Shaughnessy leaves the helm?
    -When Antonio Cromartie leaves for free agency next season, will Pro Bowler Special Teams CB Justin Bethel step up to the plate to replace him? Or will the team draft a CB next season for some competition?

6. By Mike G on Jul 28, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is good! Ready for some football — meaningful games are right around the corner. The Card’s should be in the mix for a playoff spot if all goes. Besides injuries– my 2 biggest concerns are limiting turnovers on the offensive side of the ball and chemistry from the linebacker position. Certainly losing Dansby and Washington will hurt but hopefully with the addition of Cromartie and Bucannon the Cards can scheme around that issue! Darren–How has Stephan Taylor looked ????? Has he put on any weight or is he about the same as last year. I am expecting more production from him!!!!

7. By Dobie on Jul 28, 2014 | Reply

Cam would be good especially for us that live in Tucson we are great fan to drive all that way to cheer the Cardinals we don’t get any perks of any kind when some thing is happening down there

8. By Darren Urban on Jul 28, 2014 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Taylor

He looks about the same weight-wise. Right now, he’s the No. 2 back.

9. By Chuck 1 on Jul 28, 2014 | Reply

Cam would also be neat for those of us who live out of state e.g. me in CA.

10. By red bird of death! on Jul 28, 2014 | Reply

JOHN ABRAHAM BUSTED FOR DUI NOT COOL, THE DEFENCE IS LOOKING LESS AND LESS LIKE SOMETHING FOR OTHER TEAMS TO WORRY ABOUT. THANKS GUYS I KNOW ITS HARD DRIVING YOUR NICE CAR BACK TO YOUR MANSION.

11. By br in nc on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

Would love to have to drive from Tuscon, try driving from North Carolina coast, man that creates a lot more logistical headaches than a few cameras would! LOL! Not to mention there is just no love for the Cardinals out here, saw a woman the other day who was at least 7 months pregnant and her maturnity shirt was Arizona Cardinals shirt, turns out she is from Arizona and out here because her husband is in the Marine Corps ( which is pretty much why we are all out here!) I’m so desperate for Cardinals gear I was half tempted to offer her $50 bucks so I could “represent” on game day!! LOL! You just can’t find shirts hats or any Cardinals apearal out here, but I have learned to live with it and have been a loyal Cards fan for life!! Other than growing up near the St Louis Cardinals, the closest I have been was when the Cards moved to Arizona and I was stationed in Tulane, for 1 year I got to enjoy rooting for my beloved Cardinals within the same state! I have however rooted for them from Iraq, Afghanistan, Okinawa, Washington DC, Rwanda, and about to be rooting for them this season in a combat zone again (this season will make #6 of rooting for the Cardinals in a combat zone) but I must say, deploying to Afghanistan. Or Iraq before we pulled out of there, during football season takes your mind off of a lot of other things and seems to make the time go by faster, we have fans from many different teams and none of us can watch them on TV or even listen to them on the radio, we all rely on old newspaper clippings and if were lucky once in awhile we can get to a bigger base and have internet access, no internet at the little combat outposts that’s for sure, hell we don’t even have bathrooms!! But thank God for football season when we are deployed, it truly is a godsend!!!

12. By BigAl on Jul 30, 2014 | Reply

Wow, again br in nc… had no idea what it was like for you…You seem to keep up w/Cards news very well…Not even considering? Wow! Please tell us more! Maybe this fan group can come together to help you out?!? Especially considering what you are doing for all of us!!! Sorry I did not catch this post earlier
    when this message might have gotten more response?? The PP contract has blown other blogs up! ie. http://blog.azcardinals.com/2014/07/29/sendlein-out-three-weeks-and-abraham-arrest/
    Keep up the good work!

2. Jul 28, 2014: NFL Training Camps 2014: Updates, Rumors and Analysis for July 28 | IamDistinct
  3. Jul 29, 2014: NFL Training Camps 2014: Updates, Rumors and Analysis for July 28 – Bleacher Report | Quick & Fast Sports News