Sendlein out three weeks and Abraham arrest

Posted by Darren Urban on July 29, 2014 – 12:29 pm

The Cardinals collected a handful of injuries on their first day of padded practice, the most serious of which is the left calf injury to starting center Lyle Sendlein that will sideline Sendlein for three weeks, coach Bruce Arians said. In his place, Ted Larsen will play center. It’s not a huge deal, since Sendlein will return in camp and is experienced enough to overcome missing practice.

Cornerback Antonio Cromartie is also expected to miss four or five days with a pectoral injury, while running back Andre Ellington (neck) will miss Tuesday’s work. Also hurting are linebacker Ernie Sims (back spasms), nose tackle Christian Topou (groin) and cornerback Todd Washington (groin). The Topou injury is interesting because fellow nose tackles Dan Williams (knee) and Alameda Ta’amu (PUP – knee) are already sitting. All hands on deck, Arians said, which means some mixing and matching on the defensive line.

– The news came out that linebacker John Abraham, who has been absent from training camp thus far, was arrested for a DUI in Georgia in late June. Arians had no comment, other than to say he knew of the arrest and was actually in Georgia at the same time. Arians also had no comment when asked if the arrest had anything to do with Abraham’s absence, and said he does not know when Abraham will show up to camp. Given Abraham’s experience, missing some training camp isn’t the worst thing in the world. But he barely was on the field all of the offseason too, and the sack production on the roster beyond him is extremely limited. His situation will be important to watch as the days pass.

– Arians said LB Sam Acho had a good day in his first padded practice with a couple of forced fumbles and with his pass rush, a big deal given the Abraham circumstances.

– The kicking rotation will remain with two guys going in a day and the third resting. As for Arians’ evaluation so far, “Cat (Chandler Catanzaro) has been perfect, that’s the only impression I can gather from it. The rest of the guys haven’t been. The numbers don’t lie.” As for the eventual decision, “We’ll see how they do in games. Practices are one thing, games are another. I’ve seen Jay in games for 12 years so I don’t need to see Jay in a lot of games. I know he’s got nerves. The other two guys, you want to see them do it in front of the crowd.”

– Former Cardinals tackle Eric Winston finally found a team Tuesday, signing with the Seahawks.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

31 Responses to “Sendlein out three weeks and Abraham arrest”

1. By D on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

Good pickup of Larsen by the staff. Started many games for TB. As far as John A arrest, good thing Cards have depth with Acho, Okafor and Benard who all need to prove things to the coaches..

2. By georgiebird on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

Amazing how the Cardinals have been so snake-bit at linebacker for more than the past 50 years. First round busts, underachievers and now DUI’s and domestic assaults. The best two linebackers over those years Ken Harvey and Jamir Miller were traded before reaching their potential.
    Who is the brain that devised a defense that called for four very good linebackers when its been a struggle for this franchise to have one very good linebacker- just check the HOF and All Pro lists. Go back to the 4-3 before it’s too late.

3. By T. Stone on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

Wasn’t Abrahams quote that the last DUI wasn’t worth the trouble? I guess calling a freaking cab isn’t worth the trouble either. People make mistakes, he is just too damn old to make that one again. So sad. I am surprised however that the GM and Coaching staff are soooo supportive of him after the strong words for that other linebacker (Who I refuse to speak of again ). Must be something more to this story.

4. By br in nc on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

Hopefully the other OLB’s can step up and show that we have plenty of depth and the Cards can waive bye bye to Mr Abraham, he didn’t participate in any of the off season workouts from what Ian gathering, seems his sack total and pro bowl selection from last year went straight to his head, and he thinks he is above attending the workouts??? I would take a hungry youngster with something to prove, and one that puts team first!! What are the chances that JA repeats his production from last year anyway??

As far as Lyle’s injury, I hope it is not serious he is the anchor of our O-line, and besides Veldheer he is the one lineman we cant afford to lose, I would even argue that LS is the most valuable lineman, he has played under the radar ever since coming into the league, he is our leader on the O-line and we don’t have someone like SOWELL to step in at Center, if Veldheer were to go down SOWELL could step in and we wouldn’t be as vulnerable on the O-line as we would without LS. Larson doesn’t have the knowledge of BA’s offense or anywhere near the talent of Sendelin, hopefully it isn’t anymore serious than what is being reported.

5. By br in nc on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

Georgiebird,

You and Louis need to troll somewhere else, it isn’t going to work on this site, just like I posted to Louis, we all know you come on here and post negative posts, to try and ruffle are feathers or get our blood pressure up, its something you both thrive on and it just wont work, we are all going to just ignore your posts from here on out, feel free to troll somewhere else, it wont work here. Just as I said to Louis, if you came with some intelligent post once in a blue moon, or even a positive post now and then, you wouldn’t be exposed so fast for the fake that you are, negative posts are expected from time to time, we all post negative at times, just not everytime, and on top of all that, your negative posts make no sense at all, they are actually funny (I will miss that good chuckle I get from your baseless posts though!) 4-3 defense? What a joke! My 5 year old granddaughter has more football knowledge than you, sir! If it isn’t broke, don’t fix it! #1 against the run, #6 overall defense!! That sir is not broke! I will tell you the same thing I told your partner Louis…Don’t go away mad, just go away!!!

This is the last post that I waste my time, and Darren’s space on the likes of trolls like you and Louis, and hopefully all other posters on here will not respond to your nonsense ever again, then you can just fade away, which I’am confident you will do once you see your posts are meaningless and irrelevant to all true Cardinal fans on this board.
    I hope you are proud of me Darren, I didn’t post my original response that was a cursefest, name calling tirade, but to be honest that is what the likes of these trolls want, they thrive off it, I feel that if we all quit responding to georgiebird and Louis’s nonsense, then they will eventually go away and bug some other board.

6. By T. Stone on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

Arians must have been in the car drunk. The cover up is worse than the crime.

7. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

Prior to the start of free agency this yeas, do you think if Steve Keim could have looked into the future and knew that he would loose Washington for the entire year and Abraham for possibly several games, would he have matched the Brown’s offer for Dansby? It was a ton of money, but then again, the Cards are poised to make a serious run this year, and the window of opportunity with Palmer is only getting shorter.

Hopefully Acho and the backups can step up and seize the opportunity.

8. By BigAl on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

Wow…I just don’t get it….Must have something to do w/why Atlanta let him go to FA??? J. Ab. was in position to set & break all time career sack records! How foolish!

9. By prowler85 on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

If you read the post on ESPN, he was found by police at an intersection in a sub-division (didn’t say if he was IN the intersection or on the side of the road), asleep behind the wheel, and when they woke him he said he was waiting for a ride. Also didn’t say if the keys were in the ignition (which matters) or if the engine was running. But it sounds like he was, at least kind of, trying to do the right thing, though how he got there would also be a good question. But with a good attorney I’d really think this gets thrown out. They didn’t catch him actually driving, just asleep and intoxicated.

Still curious as to why he’s not at camp though.

10. By Dobie on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

Do this guys have to hit each other that hard Arians like men that like to hit hard butt shouldn’t save it for the games are this guys out of shape or are they over doing it on the hitting in practices just wondering

11. By JohnnyBluenose on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

I have to agree with T.Stone. Sure, a DUI is a serious charge but it happened a month or more ago. Why isn’t he at training camp and why all the secrecy? Seems kind of weird to me.

12. By Darren Urban on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

Ottis —

RE: Dansby

I don’t think you compound problems in a panic move, and they absolutely did not think paying that money to Dansby was smart.

13. By John The Draft Guy on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

First, I agree with you regarding Dansby. If it doesn’t make sense to pay him then, you can’t panic and say we should have paid him.

On a different note, are Acho and Okefer playing the same side behind Abraham, or is Acho playing behind Shaughnessy?

Matt is a much larger guy and against teams like the Seahawks, it makes sense he gets the call. But Acho is a better passrusher and I would be rotating him in on passing downs or passing teams over Matt.

I would think this is a 4 man rotation at OLB with Abraham, Acho, Okefer, and Shaughnessy.

One more name is Adrian Tracy. A passrushing end in college who put up a lot of sacks, but was converted to a SLB with the Giants. Coming to the cards to play OLB, I wonder if he can break into the lineup and make some noise. Longshot right now, but Im curious if he can rise up.

14. By br in nc on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

IMHO matching the Browns offer would have been a dumb move, even if SK could forsee all this linebacker “trouble” coming down the pipe! It was just to much guaranteed money and way to many years for a Guy on the wrong side of 30, the Browns clearly made a desperation move that I believe willcome back and bite them in the azz! What does everyone else think, even knowing what he knows now, did SK make the right move by letting Los walk with a huge amount of money and years guaranteed in his hip pocket?

15. By br in nc on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

He was at an intersection, sounds to me like he was in the road at an intersection, not like he was over to the side out of the way of traffic, keys in or out of the ignition should not matter, what difference would keys in or out of ignition make, its not like he mentally transported himself to the intersection, besides there had to be plenty of witnesses the article said they found him at 430pm, so unless that was a misprint the roads were most Lilly busy, the only good to come from this is I have a new strip club to checkout next time I’m down that way! LOL! (Sorry, there is nothing in this report to laugh or joke about, clearly bad judgement on my part!)

16. By br in nc on Jul 29, 2014 | Reply

WOW!! I just read on ESPN where we have signed PP to a 5 year $70 million dollar extension, with $48 million guaranteed! !! This is just plain crazy, these contracts in the NFLare getting out of control, he is now the highest paid CB in the NFL! Keillor probably get lambasted and called every name in the book for what follows ( oh well, it wont be the first time, and surely not the last!)
    I just don’t get it, the Cardinal had him for 2 more years, he had 1 year remaining on his rookie deal, then we could have “tagged” him for 2016 if an extension could not have been worked out after next season. And making him the highest paid corner in the league, why? We can all start saying our goodbye’s now to Fitz, and Carson Palmer, as well as Darnell Society, we just wont have the money to pay any of them, I can’t see sacrificing 3 players (key players at that) for the sake of making 1 player the highest paid CB in the league, especially when he still had time remaining on his rookie deal. And while I love PP and all he does in pass coverage, he is almost non existent in stopping the run, he needs to improve drastically in that area or I feel we are just flushing money down the toilet!! On top of that his return skills have went the wrong way as well, IMHO I think BA taking him off the return teams was done for one reason, he was hurting the team more than helping! I will concede he is one of the best shut down CB’s in the league, not sure if he is the best though. But his performance in stopping the run is below average at best! For the money he is now getting, he needs to step up and stop the run, as well as somehow get back to his rookie #’s in the return game!! It may have been a misprint, or I may just very well be losing my mind but I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that PP had 4, that’s right folks, 4 unassisted tackles in the run game last year!! If I’m not losing my mind or that is not a misprint, that is horrendous production out of the now highest paid corner in the NFL!! (you people have no idea how much I want to be wrong about that putrid number, and I will gladly eat large amounts of crow if I’am wrong!) But even if that 4 unassisted tackles in a season is dead wrong, I still believe he has a large amount of work to do to justify that kind of cash!! Also, I will concede that Fitz is as good as gone next year with or without PP signing an extension, unless he will take a huge pay cut, which before PP’s extension a contract in the neighborhood of 7-9 million for Fitz seemed feasible, but with all that cash going to Patrick, I can’t see how the Cardinals can afford to offer Fitz 4-6 million, maybe! There are so many teams that would gladly offer him a couple million more than that and when they do Fitz is gone!
    Let the comments fly boys, I’m a big boy I can handle it, but surely there are a few Cardinal fans out there that at least agree with me on one or two points? Think about it folks, how can we afford to build a 53 man roster to contend for a Championship and stay within the salary cap with such a huge contract for 1 man out of 53!

17. By T. Stone on Jul 30, 2014 | Reply

br in nc

RE: That post

you lost us at WOW.

18. By Dylan on Jul 30, 2014 | Reply

br in nc-

I agree we paid PP way to much but i will go on and say he obviously is not that bad in the run game because if he was the cardinals would not have had the #1 run defense in the league last year not just the NFC but the whole NFL

19. By dkerry5242 on Jul 30, 2014 | Reply

We have virtually no pass rush as it is, without Abraham it will be non-existent

20. By dkerry5242 on Jul 30, 2014 | Reply

If Abraham gets suspended for this latest DUI the defense can be in real trouble. After all our pass rush is mediocre at best and without Abraham it will be almost non-existent.

21. By John The Draft Guy on Jul 30, 2014 | Reply

bc in nc;

At first, I thought the same thing, two years left so why pay him now?

But after thinking about it, a couple things came to mind. One, how much would he cost next year or in 2016 if we had to sign him then? I would imagine salaries will be more in two years than right now? Two, one of our core players is locked down for many years to come.

I think the cards will end up paying less in the long run had they waited (they were never going to not sign him) and guess what? No more “when will they lock up Peterson comments”.

As for unassisted tackles in the run game, his job is to lock in on the #1 wr and follow him all over the field. He is not a cover two CB and he never is rolled up and protecting the edge in the run game. It is not what he is asked to do. He knows he is to stay with the Calvin Johnson’s and trust that the front 7 will do their job. (which being the #1 run defense, they did their job)

I pointed out the Fitz issue on this board two years ago. The cards have spent a #1 on Floyd, who is becoming a number 1 guy. They drafted John Brown, who will develop into a Hilton, antonio brown, type guy. I am even hearing Marvin Harrison comparisons. The Fitz situation will play out next year. I think I will just sit back and wait and enjoy this year rooting on #11.

22. By clssylssy on Jul 30, 2014 | Reply

Glad to see PP got paid since Fitz restructured to make that happen. It will remain to be seen if PP is the team player Larry has proved to be, nonetheless I’ll be looking forward to seeing Peterson earn his contract this season as we have some real tough offenses on our schedule and he will certainly have the opportunity to prove he is the lock down Corner he is boasting to be and better than Sherman. This kind of competition can only be an incentive and work to the Cards advantage;whether they ever really pay him is doubtful as teams these days rarely pay out these big extensions as has been pointed out many times with regard to the Fitz contract. Certainly PP is a talented and skilled athlete but we’ll see if he possesses the physicality to shut down Megatron when we play the Lions etc.
    With regard to the John Abraham issue it seems like everyone is doing an awful lot of speculating without all the facts and perhaps the best thing would be to let this play out and assume BA and Keim know more about the real facts than the media is portraying (remember this is how the bottom feeders make their living).
    For the short term let’s just hope we can get through the rest of camp and preseason with minimal injuries and Keim can find some talented “insurance” on the waiver wire.

23. By red bird of death! on Jul 30, 2014 | Reply

We are in deep doo doo if Abraham gets suspended, what are your thoughts Darren are we loosing this dude?Please say no,how are these guys so irresponsible? Why now when we have such a killer team ready to go? What is these guys problems man? I mean come on!

24. By Dynosoar on Jul 30, 2014 | Reply

Dobie,

my best guess is these are all guys who are in the gym year around and have been for a very long time. These are guys who’ve been hitting, being hit, tackling and being tackled and striving to out muscle/maneuver others who are also very strong and talented and it’s in their blood to do this and…

they’ve all just had a long offseason without getting to do what they do best and with pads on, the flood gates are now open and they want to face that struggle head on.

In their minds, let the hitting begin. As long as it’s a contest and a let’s see what I can do, probably a very good thing to let them hit, hit hard and hit often. Just keep them Cleveland like tempers under control and let it be a hard hitting fun event like when we all played backyard football as kids.

This is my best guess as to why Arians let’s them hit hard now, he played, he understands.

25. By Scott H on Jul 30, 2014 | Reply

Well, these are some pieces of bad news we did NOT need, especially the Abraham situation.

26. By ridin hi on Jul 30, 2014 | Reply

Comon, you guys relax, suspension to Abraham won’t happen this season anyway,and if memory serves, he came in late last season to have a great year. Wish he was here now though, but it is what it is. I think John will be OK and play well for his team mates this season. Let’s wait and see how this plays out.

27. By BigAl on Jul 30, 2014 | Reply

br
    WOW I feel your pain! I just don’t get it either??? Is the salary cap going up by 10 -12 million next year??? Have I been in Acoma? I have been worried about what we were gonna be able to renegotiate w/Larry for next year???
    I love PP…I love Larry…I love DD & I love this team…I have said this b4…we were lucky to get CP for the price we did…just think, of what the REAL difference of having a REAL NFL QB is to having random college QB’s!!! And a poor offensive line! We just left that scenario ie.Matt snow shoes Lineart…& the Whisenhunt list goes on & on…We have soo many guys coming due next year???
    I mean I thought like br we could wait on this…
    I personally have never understood how teams can pay 1 guy, whether it be Peyton, or Drew, or Aaron or Tom…or Big Ben or even the other Manning… Eli, a Sixth of the teams total salary cap, for one player??? How/When are you restricting your own aspirations of providing your TEAM the opportunity to put a great TEAM of talent on the field!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    However, br we must remember it is a business….Ha! That we as taxpayers build stadiums for, so they can bring us hope!I! Like a player like Larry Fitzgerald/Patrick Peterson…. Seriously… the next question will become who is more important to the team???

br, If I’m reading you correctly… you are concerned about next year & those that follow…This contract tells me that #11 is gone next year…Cause there just won’t be eruf money left….for the other 53…

28. By Scott H on Jul 31, 2014 | Reply

ridin hi –

OK…how ’bout the part where the head coach says he does not know when Abraham will report to camp? No cause for concern there? It just sounds like there is whole lot of not knowing around this guy right now. I’m not trying to panic, I would just like to KNOW that he WILL be here and everything WILL be fine. Right now, I’m having a hard time getting there. Hearing the HC say he doesn’t know when Abraham will show up doesn’t help.

29. By br in nc on Jul 31, 2014 | Reply

Did Larsen start for TB at C or G?
    This will give Larsen and Palmer some much needed snap exchanges, to build the chemistry needed to perfect the exchange, need that work together, especially, God forbid Lyle goes down during the season.

30. By br in nc on Jul 31, 2014 | Reply

Most injuries occur when guys are not going all out 100%.

31. By br in nc on Jul 31, 2014 | Reply

Bigal
    Thanks for the support, I didn’t expect much more than shotgun blasts, and virtual beer bottles tossed at me, surprisingly there are more positive responses than I ever imagined, ( guess that is why I love this board so much, never been on a board where for the most part people give there opinion in a respectable manner, most sports boards like this usually end up in name calling, virtual shouting matches, and a bunch of 100% know it all’s who are never wrong and never have been wrong. This board is quite different, its ok to agree
    to disagree, or have discussions and respect others opinions, as well all the posters are much more intelligent and much more knowledgeable when it comes to football in general, and our beloved Cardinals specifically! I hope posters wouldn’t take my objections the wrong way, I love Patrick’s style both on and off the field ( though the bantering back and forth with Sherman is starting to wear on me, its time for Peterson to take the high road and stop with the twitter sessions and concentrate on getting this team to the Superbowl) but IMHO, I just can’t see paying 1 player, especially a CB that much money just yet when the basically had 2 more years where they were “in the drivers seat”, and the way I see it we are going to have to make some very tough choices on some key veterans that we wouldn’t have had to make just yet, and if we would have waited to dish out that huge contract, some of the key veterans choices would have played out already, bottom line, We stand to lose 4-5 very key veterans, including IMHO the most important one being QB due to signing 1player who wanted to be the highest paid CB in the league, well now he is, so now its time to earn it. It just seems to me he put himself way in front of the team, and the highest paid CB tag in front of a SB Ring, And $48 million guaranteed, that really ties the teams checkbook into knots, it is going to be difficult to even offer fair market valued