For Peterson, Sherman exchanges are “fun”

Posted by Darren Urban on July 30, 2014 – 1:40 pm

Ever since the summer, it’s more than just media and fans that have gotten involved in the Patrick Peterson vs. Richard Sherman back-and-forth. So too have Patrick Peterson and Richard Sherman, including this morning after it was known Peterson’s new contract is slightly better than the one Sherman signed earlier this year.

There have been times the tweets (or retweets of others) have been quite a jab. But Peterson said it’s simply fun — although he wouldn’t speak for Sherman.

“I don’t how he feels about it, but I think it’s fun, healthy competition,” Peterson said. “I’m having fun with it, sometimes it seems like he’s a little salty with it. I don’t have any problems with Richard. I don’t have any beef with him. I am having fun. I don’t know if he’s having fun. We have had our exchanges over the last month or so and obviously he is still exchanging words this morning, but it is what it is. I have no ill feelings toward Richard. I wish him the best of luck throughout his career and season and I guess it’ll be must-watch TV when we play Seattle.”

ShermPPuse

Tags: ,

22 Responses to “For Peterson, Sherman exchanges are “fun””

1. By georgiebird on Jul 30, 2014 | Reply

Patrick Peterson is a tremendous talent- no doubt about it. But a long term mega-contract for PP at this time was unnecessary for the following reasons:
    1) PP was about the 4th or 5th best player on the defense last year
    2) PP’s ability to keep his head in the game 100% is questionable
    3) Is PP willing to get his shirt dirty or is he a pretty face??
    4) Is PP ready to be the impact player Sherman is?
    5) PP’s poor(er) performance on punt returns the past couple of years may have been caused by many factors. Or maybe, we have seen the best of PP(he’s not getting any better)
    I may have been willing to give PP this contract at a later time. But the above reasons would have had to be answered in a positive manner.
    And what is Tyrann Mathieu going to be worth if he picks up where he left off last year-and how about Justin Bethel.

2. By dans761 on Jul 30, 2014 | Reply

I don’t think Sherman once called out PP by name but PP has called out Sherman plenty of times.

3. By joe holst on Jul 30, 2014 | Reply

Sherman is a punk

4. By Darren Urban on Jul 30, 2014 | Reply

dans761 —

RE: “Name”

Pretty sure neither one has to necessarily use a name to get the point across of whom they are speaking. I’m not sure what your point would be.

5. By Steve on Jul 30, 2014 | Reply

Darren: Whom might you guess is next up for a possible extension with the Cards? Maybe Floyd?

6. By Andy Kw on Jul 30, 2014 | Reply

Glad to see the Patrick Peterson extension but I am worried about his cap hit next year along with Larry Fitzgerald’s contract. But here are my thoughts of training camp (with pads):
    Offensive is impressive:
    -First of all, Carson Palmer’s performance during camp is spectacular and he look much more comfortable in his 2nd year with the Cards.
    -Larry Fitzgerald looks better than ever and is poised for a comeback season.
    -Michael Floyd continues to make phenomenal and unbelievable grabs.
    -Both Ted Ginn and John Brown display their blazing speed and ability snag the ball in easy and tough situations.
    -The Tight Ends just look amazing
    Although the offense has been amazing, I have yet to see much from the defensive backs on the training camp highlights:
    -I have not seen much of Patrick Peterson but through the highlights that I have seen of him so far, he is focused but is not very consistent. We need to see more deflections and game turning plays. We know it won’t happen all the time but we need to see more consistency.
    -The Linebackers look very stellar. Sam Acho, Alex Okafor, Kevin Minter, etc look pretty good.
    -I’m not worried about Antonio Cromartie because he has displayed consistency during camp and Tony Jefferson looks good as well.
    -We can do extremely well against the backup offense but we need to have a defensive boost against our starters.

7. By Mark on Jul 30, 2014 | Reply

I think Sherman is a great player, but honestly I think Peterson does so much more for the Cardinals and am happy to see them go back and forth on twitter for the worlds entertainment. We are in a Sports drought right now and some news was needed, but honestly Peterson has such a higher ceiling. I am calling a MONSTER season from Patrick this year, and only see him getting better. Its to bad these two never face eachother, and hopefully Palmer can have two 0 pick games against them. I swear the whole Seattle defense had an interception against us. LOL. we won with 4 picks! The Cardinals are resilient!

8. By heyyoucallhimdrjones on Jul 30, 2014 | Reply

re: GeorgieBird

Mathieu would more than likely not even be on the team if it weren’t for Patrick…

9. By Dr. G. on Jul 30, 2014 | Reply

The banter is one thing… A tangled ego is another. Proper counsel for PP would be to close the pie hole long enough to be a showman on the field, not in the social media. I do not find this amusing. What I do find amusing is the classy approach that PP could emulate in the example of Larry Fitzgerald, #11 from day 1 until the present…!!! There are others on this team.

The self aggrandizing once worked well in Boxing. Football is not the venue that really works for this egocentric display. It only defines immaturity, can put off teammates, and fire up your opposition. Choosing #21 doesn’t make someone like Neon Deion. He has since realized that the antics are rueful for him.

P.S. I do love him on the field….. Be well…

10. By Scott H on Jul 31, 2014 | Reply

Alright, PP, can we get back to football now??? Geez…I love the guy but all of this back and forth crap with Sherman is just so stupid and so un-necessary. When you read PP’s comments about his deal, they come across as SOUNDING like being the highest paid was THE top priority and that is what REALLY mattered most to him. Period. Well, PP, you got your deal. Can we stop with the twitter now and get on the field and start working to make sure you are going to BE the best CB in the game, not just guy who is being paid the most? Enough talking the talk. Time to start walking the walk.

Hate to say it, man, but Sherman’s ring speaks louder than your contract.

11. By Eric G on Jul 31, 2014 | Reply

The Sherman tweet about the ring was somewhat effective, but only proves that he is on a winning team, not that he is better than Peterson. Sherman is the product of a system, Peterson is the product of being the best cover corner in the league by himself, aka he is way more talented than Sherman.

12. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2014 | Reply

Steve —

RE: extension

Good question. Floyd is still at least a year away, I’d guess.

13. By red bird of death! on Jul 31, 2014 | Reply

Either way PP needs to have a banner year this year meaning at least 10-15% better than last year that’s some pressure especially when Dsmoke and now Abradui are gone, our defense was going to be number 1-2 in the league with a Super Bowl so close u can touch it now we will see what our coaching staff and remaining guys are made of. I still believe do you?

14. By Dr. G. on Jul 31, 2014 | Reply

Floyd? Could he be the best weapon we have that few are talking about?

Bethel? Could he be soon one of the best at his position? …best on ST’s in NFL!

To now, these are 2 men who have acted like gentlemen off, and bad ass on the field . Like my K9 Cop friend’s dog…2 speeds…on and off!!! $$$ will reward in time. Good metaphor huh?

Pre-season soon… I’m looking to see what LT can do… Cards fans are best..

15. By br in nc on Jul 31, 2014 | Reply

WOW Georgiebird for once I actually somewhat agree with you (not 100% mind you! LOL)
    Cardinals had him for at least 2 more years before they needed to talk extension, as well I question the huge amount of money, especially the guaranteed amount, This contract is probably going to force the Cardinals to let go of 4-5 key veterans next year, and I just can’t see the justification in that, as well I question his run support, and his aggressiveness on running plays, IMHO it seems to me hehas no aggression or desire to mix it up and stick his nose in to stop the run. As far as the decline in punt returns, I can live without him returning punts, he was drafted as a CB (shutdown corner, which he’s has succeeded in that area. I would say his is top 1 or2 shutdown corner in the league) IMHO he is a better shutdown CB than Sherman, but honestly, not $36 million dollars in guaranteed money better! And in all fairness, contracts NFL wide are ridiculously high, and only going to get worse before it gets better.
    May want to savor this reply georgiebird, me actually somewhat in agreement with your posting…maybe someday in the future you can return the favor and find a small nugget in one of my posts that you may actually somewhat agree with, although I wont hold my breath on that one! LOL

16. By br in nc on Jul 31, 2014 | Reply

Doesn’t Floyd have to wait a minimum of 4-5 years per the CB? He was a couple drafts behind PP’s class, and I’m pretty sure that rule that prevented PP and his draft class apply’s to all classes unless the CBA is changed once negotiations.start.

17. By Dr. G. on Aug 1, 2014 | Reply

br – Floyd was 2012…Peterson was 2011… One year apart on the draft.

There are all sorts of new rules from the CBA, but it is my understanding that a contract can be re-done at the option of the team, not the player. To wit:: It just happened with PP…

PP could have been held over without an extension thru the 2015 season with the franchise tag. ((and then again..ala Dansby)) He would have gotten big money then. But the Cards felt a need to pay him off. There are differing rules for different draft rounds, esp. the 1st round. We can find all this in the CBA rules from 2012….very lengthy…

Floyd will need some more $$$ before too long if he continues to be the beast… and there are others…. Be well…

18. By br in nc on Aug 4, 2014 | Reply

You are correct sir, I was thinking PP was 2010 for some danger reason! Thanks for the correct on that. That could mean another huge extension next July too!

2. Jul 30, 2014: Richard Sherman and Patrick Peterson beef on Twitter about extension | Distinct Athlete
  3. Jul 30, 2014: Richard Sherman and Patrick Peterson beef on Twitter again
  4. Jul 30, 2014: Patrick Peterson: Richard Sherman is "salty" about my new contract - Pro Football Zone
  5. Aug 2, 2014: San Francisco 49ers: Biggest Training Camp Stories from the NFC West Rivals — PureFootballPureFootball — Your source for everything about football! — News and tweets about everything football — Football scores, news, NFL