A day off, camp observations and tidbits

Posted by Darren Urban on July 31, 2014 – 2:59 pm

The Cardinals got a day off today from practice before doing two more workouts Friday and Saturday, which is the Fan Fest workout. After slamming into each other for three straight days, it’s good to get a reprieve. And to think, with practice just across town at University of Phoenix Stadium, it’s easy to pop home for the day. I know I appreciate it.

“It’s a little bit of everything,” running back Jonathan Dwyer said. “Get your mind away from football for a day. Guys who have family can spend time with their young ones, like myself. Just rest our bodies and come back to work the next day.”

– Speaking of Fan Fest, click here for all the details of the practice.

– What stood out through the first five days of practice? WR John Brown, obviously. Confidence in CB Justin Bethel’s progress. Thinking that TE John Carlson, if he can stay off the injury report, could have a very nice year catching the ball. Kareem Martin is going to have a key role on the defensive line, I think. Michael Floyd is destined to improve on his season a year ago.

– I’m off to Canton tomorrow to cover the induction of cornerback Aeneas Williams into the Pro Football Hall of Fame Saturday. I’ll still have stuff on the blog from both Canton and training camp, and my cohort Kyle Odegard will be the boots on the ground at University of Phoenix Stadium. He did a nice piece on Bobby Massie today. Speaking of Aeneas, I hope you’ve been checking out all the content on the special Aeneas Williams page (azcardinals.com/aeneas). I’ll have a big story on Williams posted tomorrow first thing.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to “A day off, camp observations and tidbits”

1. By Mike G on Jul 31, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is cool! Enjoy your trip to Canton–should be fun with A-Williams going into the HOF. He does deserve it — he had a really nice career with the Cardinals always had a nose for the football His interceptions and fumble recoveries speak volumes but I always thought he was a class guy. He always helped his fellow corners and he never complained–he was on some losing teams and never made an issue out of it. Its always easy to win but A-Williams always came to play no matter the situation. HOF Deserving!!!!

2. By Scott H on Jul 31, 2014 | Reply

Darren, I share your enthusiasm for John Carlson. I think he could be the best TE the Cardinals have put on the field in a LOOOONG time. IF he is getting chances to make plays, that is. I’m tempering all enthusiasm until I actually see how this goes.

Loving what I’m hearing about Floyd and this Brown kid. With Fitz still being among THE best WR’s in the league and Ginn Jr on board….this team has some serious fire-power on offense. Carson Palmer has NEVER had it this good.

And my MOST sincere congrats to my man, Aeneas Williams. A truly rare combination of class and WORLD class talent. Sorry he had to go elsewhere for his SB ring but he absolutely deserved one and I’m so grateful for all those great years he had with the Cardinals.

3. By CreditCard on Jul 31, 2014 | Reply

Kyle,

Nice piece on Massie.

How is the right guard position looking?

4. By br in nc on Jul 31, 2014 | Reply

Darren take lot’s. Of pic’s for posting.
    This is probably a stupid question, but is this your first trip to Canton specifically the HOF?

On a sidenote, I did not realize Massie was as physically strong, could have sworn coming out of college one of the question marks/weaknesses was his upper body strength. AmI mistaken him with someone else or has it been the Cardinal strength and conditioning program the last two years that vastly improved his strength?
    Have a blast at the HOF, it is on my bucket list of places to see, been all over the world many times, many countries, a lot of which I wish I could forget, been to every state with the exception of Kansas and Alaska, been to and through Ohio to many times to count, but was always traveling on a deadline and could never make Canton fit, but one day soon hopefully I will be able to cross it off my bucket list. Would really like to go when Mr Warner gets his we’ll deserved call for the hall.

5. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2014 | Reply

Credit —

RE: right guard

Fanaika has been solid. Watford still has a chance. If the other pieces fall into place, I think they’ll be fine.

6. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2014 | Reply

br in nc —

RE: Hall of Fame

Yes. The only other time came when the Cards played the HoF game in 2012.

Unless you count the time my Grandma took me there when I was 11.

7. By br in nc on Aug 2, 2014 | Reply

You have to count the time that Grandma took you, most Grandma’s probably wouldn’t have a clue what the Football HOF is, or where its located, let alone take the time to take their grandson to visit! That is classic! Sounds like you have the coolest Grandmother of all time!
    My grandma would take me to tour RJ Reynolds just for the free samples of Redman chewing tobacco she could get, Grandma loved her Chewing tobacco, she could nail a cricket from 5 yards with her tobacco juice 99 times out of 100!! And she was blind as a bat!!! LOL!