Abraham releases statement

Posted by Darren Urban on August 1, 2014 – 5:38 pm

Earlier Friday, Bruce Arians said linebacker John Abraham, absent in camp thus far for personal reasons, would be reporting to camp in about “five or six” days. Friday afternoon, Abraham released a statement. They are his first public words not only since his absence from camp but since his DUI arrest in late June.

“First, I want to apologize to my family and friends, the Cardinals organization, my teammates and the fans for letting them down.  I understand the significance of my actions and right now I am taking the necessary steps to handle my personal business.

“I am very thankful for the support from my family, friends and especially the Cardinals organization during this time in my life.  I am looking forward to being back with my teammates in the near future.”

Tags:

27 Responses to “Abraham releases statement”

1. By dylan on Aug 1, 2014 | Reply

As someone that has got a dui in my past I understand how hard it can be on you emotionally keep your head high and play some good football this year

2. By Mark G. on Aug 1, 2014 | Reply

It can happen to anyone…once. I hope John takes care of business & can move forward.

3. By Kirk on Aug 1, 2014 | Reply

Actually it can only happen if you get behind the wheel after drinking. And this was his second. There is No excuse

4. By Andy Kw on Aug 2, 2014 | Reply

Even if he is going to get a suspension, I only expect it to be 1 game but no more than 2.

5. By Marlin on Aug 2, 2014 | Reply

These apologies are getting old.

6. By br in nc on Aug 2, 2014 | Reply

Here, Here!!! I second that! Who the heck will be next!

7. By rod on Aug 2, 2014 | Reply

I still can’t get over Ray Rice getting 2 games!

On the lighter side, in the theater fittin’ to see Guardians of the Galaxy…ohhh….yeeaahhh.

8. By Mark on Aug 2, 2014 | Reply

I met John Abraham one night at work and hes a good dude. He is definitely got a past you can tell, and I am honestly not sure if he was sober when I talked to him. His eyes were blood shot red and he seemed disoriented. One thing I do know is he can play ball, and I hope he continues to have a good finish to his career. Get better BIG JOHN!

9. By Cheese on Aug 2, 2014 | Reply

is there a reason that TMZ had to break this story and Cardinals fans were kept in the dark about it for two months by the organization?

Cheese

10. By clssylssy on Aug 3, 2014 | Reply

“He who lives in glass houses…”.I always am a little taken back by all those who so self-righteously are quick to judge and condemn when there are few of us who have not ever had a beer or a glass or wine with dinner and then gotten in the car to drive home (or tailgated at a game and had more than a few). No, it’s not smart or a good thing and these days there should be a designated driver, but not everyone should be lumped into the same category and I have a feeling John Abraham is a different case than some others we read about (but still condem w/o knowing the facts). He had another DUI ten years ago and I have a feeling this is going to count as his first offense (hopefully). Something nobody has considered is that his absence COULD BE because he is getting treatment–not as sensational or as juicy a headline,but certainly as plausible. I worked with Professionals in Crisis for thirty years, some having substance issues of varying degrees and each case is different. The fact that BA, Keim and the organization has been so supportive, have known about the situation and managed to keep it out of the press so long, gives me the indication that John has taken responsibility and is doing something about it,which is his “personal business”. Judging from the drunk and obnoxious fans at UofP stadium on game day, I have a feeling that a lot of people on this site live in glass houses (or have family members with substance abuse issues).
    The reality of the situation is that the difficulties our players have encountered off field pale in comparison to the Jim Irsays, etc.and I would think it would benefit the league for the NFL/NFLPA to address this very serious problem proactively as an agenda item at an upcoming Owners meeting. In the meantime, I look forward to seeing Abraham back with the team soon, and, apology accepted.

11. By kenny on Aug 3, 2014 | Reply

short and sweet take it from me if you want a drink no harm prohibition is over however it is against the law to get behind the wheel of a car after consuming alcohol should you want to have a drink fine home restraint or wherever but behind the wheel of a car nothing good can come from driving after 1 beer only its almost like nothing good happens after midnight unless you are home be smart don’t do anything to put yourself in a situation that becomes dangerous for you and your friend neibhors and strangers you are a pro conduct yourself like one should you have a problem get help the jails are full of people who make bad choices don’t ever become one of them trust me your friend ken

12. By kenny on Aug 3, 2014 | Reply

you are a pro drinking and driving is against the law you are a pro conduct yourself like one people look up to you if you have a problem get help in short its all about choices the jails are full of people who don’t make proper ones never ever put yourself in that position nothing wrong with a beer or a drink now and when however never ever drink and drive its 4000 pounds of poor decision making its almost like nothing really good happens after midnight unless you are home with friends and family be smart its obvious you have a tremendous amount of talent use that talent along with good decision making it will make your quality of life much more rewarding your friend ken

13. By kenny on Aug 3, 2014 | Reply

hey everybody just figured I would take a look and see what any body what so ever cares about my statement unfortunally for the person that gave it a thumbs down he does not realize I am not a recovering alcoholic but an x ball player and head football coach on a small level enough said I am sorry the thumbs down person must have issues as well good luck son you will need it

14. By Scott H on Aug 3, 2014 | Reply

Well, nothing more than the standard one-size-fits-all statement that pro athletes give when they’ve gotten themselves in trouble. So…hardly anything noteworthy about that. I have been aware of John Abraham as a player but don’t really know much at all about him prior to becoming a Cardinal, so I have no idea whether he has had these problems before. Unfortunately, not everyone can be a Kurt Warner or an Aeneas Williams ( and much love to AW on his big weekend! ) or a Larry Fitzgerald and I entertain no delusions that pro athletes are not also human beings. That said….

Listen, I hope John Abraham, because he is a human being , will be OK. But I gotta say, these off-the -field issues that affect the team ON THE FIELD are really starting to piss me off. I swear, I don’t know how NFL head coaches get through a day without wanting to choke the life out of some of these players.

We already lost the guy ( Dansby ) who led the team in tackles and INT’s last year. And we lost the guy ( Washington ) who many believe may be the best defensive player on this team. Now, there are issues with the guy ( Abraham ) who led the team in sacks last year. Anyone else???

OK, Abraham could walk through the door tomorrow, pick right up where he left off and he / we might be just fine. But these hits to this defense do not bode well for a team playing in the toughest division in the NFL and who will definitely need a double-digit win total to even have a hope of making the playoffs.

I’m certainly not going to bail on the defense because there is some REAL talent there. But…I hope the offense is ready to step up and carry more of the load.

15. By kenny on Aug 4, 2014 | Reply

hey guys got to agree with you dansby was a excellent linebacker and big deal I was a x linebacker as well however one must remember it was the guys around him that made him as good as he was they cleared the way for him to do a excellent job without the big guys up front he would never have shined like he did trust me you will see this year and believe me 1 year will not make a world of difference but the guys around you will cambell,dockett ,williams ect ect as far as Washington what a crime could be the best or one of in the game today and for 1-2 hours of chill to give up a lifetime of extreme talent that does not come along that often is a crime its a matter of choices and priorities I know nothing of washingtons life but my guess is he has no children you are all very intelligent you know the rest grow up son or the world will eat you alive your friend ken

16. By clssylssy on Aug 4, 2014 | Reply

I see Rob Ryan will be using a 3 man safety scheme with Jarius Byrd, Kenny Vacarro, and Rafael Bush which causes me a great deal of concern as we will very likely have to play the Saints in the playoffs and we haven’t done so well against Brees, JG, and their 5th ranked defense in the past! Gonna have to step things up on D I think as the entire NFC West has become infamous for their killer defenses and we will be carrying a bullseye on our back after beating Seattle. The Broncos (& entire NFC East), Eagles and about anyone else who would be conteders have beefed things up to match the West. Our schedule is not going to be the walk in the park or slamdunk many fans envision, and not having Mathieu to start the season is going to be an additional hit. Gonna have to STAY HEALTHY & PLAY HUNGRY and hope Steve Keim can pull a rabbit from somewhere!

17. By Scott H on Aug 4, 2014 | Reply

clssylssy –

Some interesting thoughts but I think the Cardinals always tend to benefit from perpetually flying under the radar. It always bothers me that the Cardinals just never seem to be as recognized as they should be BUT I also kinda like that because maybe it DOES allow them to stay under the radar. Let the rest of the world think the NFC West is the Seahawks / 49ers and a couple of other decent teams. That is fine with me. Because when you beat those teams and you win that division, they can’t ignore you anymore, can they? Nope! Then, THEY’LL be looking all dumbfounded and wondering where the Cardinals came from and WE’LL be grinning like we knew it all along. Which, of course, we did.

I don’t see a target on our backs. Really, I don’t. Let the Seahawks worry about that. They won the SB and the mouth heard round the world, Richard Sherman, made sure everyone knew THEY were the best team in the world. THAT is what puts the target on you. Which is why I wish PP would settle down and stop all the twitter non-sense.

Seems to me that many people really don’t think much of Carson Palmer at this point, and I have seen first-hand how people tend to dismiss the Cardinals when they hear he is the QB. OK. I just let that go because I think Palmer has more talent at his disposal right now than he ever has and he might just a few real big bullets left in the chamber. So…let people think they don’t have to take the Cardinals seriously. That just makes it more fun when, suddenly, they do!

18. By clssylssy on Aug 5, 2014 | Reply

@Scott H
    I agree with you 100%, The Cards have always done well when “flying under the radar” and playing up to toughest competition. I don’t feel we are “under the radar” this season, which leaves little room for any errors with the schedule we have. I am a fan of Carson Palmers and believe him to be seriously underrated by everyone including some of our fans. He has shown he is tough and can take a hard hit then recover and be on target, throw an interception then follow it with a game winning TD. He seems very grounded, mature and respected by his fellow players and coaches; actually, the only people who seem critical are a bunch of arm chair critics and talking hairdos reading a script! Phillip Rivers was falling off the QB rating scale until last season and I think both Rivers and Carson just needed a change in scenery/coaching. Things are shaping up for an exciting season; if our defense can hold up we should be in the running. Time to “Shock the World” again!

19. By kenny on Aug 5, 2014 | Reply

to all cads fans coach ba fans is it my imagination or not-it seems to me in the games last year when palmer struggled big time our coach refused to give slaton a chance to pull the game out what so ever meaning he seemed to not have any real faith in him as a back up yet let hoyer walk for 2 million as bradys understudy real easily and gambles in the 4th round on a logan Thomas when in the 4th round there was over 4 dozen better ball players to go with and could have probably got Thomas as a walk on yes or no I believe it was a poor decision umm mr ellington do you agree that ba seems to be a poor gambler but a very good coach kinda worries me a little your friend ken

20. By Scott H on Aug 5, 2014 | Reply

Kenny –

Dude, when you’re not texting and using that language, you really need to know how to use periods, commas, capitals, apostrophe’s, and some of the other things that are obviously not being taught in the schools any more. I’m not sure what you are saying because…well, I really don’t know what you are saying!!!

I don’t know who the “cads” are…is that what they call the Cardinals in Boston???

21. By kenny on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

the answer is simple son I graduated in high school in the 70,s and was permitted to skate through school without attending classes just sign in to homeroom and show up for practice as all the teachers English math ect ect were the football coaches offense defense special teams ect ect this is not about grammar its about football which you obviously know nothing I would assume I did something right as I received full ride to 12 major colleges and stuck around for 2 years you see son only a tool would point out a persons iq or grammar this is football you were probably in the marching band ha ha ha ha salong sport oh by the way I am also head football coach at small school I love guys like you and you wonder why children get picked on or bullied you are an a….s grow up

22. By kenny on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

oh p.s. SCOTT you were obviously smart enough to know where I was going with my blog text e mail or what ever is the proper you just did not have the guts to say it I imagine you were playing dress up with your sister have fun son and last but not least got 4 year ride to ohio state ncaa rules required sat score of 750 or above at that time 1974 so who is the …… don’t ever call me dude I am a man just did not find the importance in grammar I am all about football not playing dress up with my sister again please don’t call me dude be nice you will go much further I did you one could only imagine

23. By kenny on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

hey SCOTT you seem to have a problem yourself with your posts but its ok we are all human some of us are just flat out stupid again this is football not grammar school by the way were you in the marching band probably the little drummer boy just pulling your leg I honestly don’t mean to be mean get it good luck son

24. By Darren Urban on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

kenny —

RE: Grammar

Is this grammar school? No. But it would be nice if you didn’t essentially brag about your lack of it.

On a message board/comment section, decent writing should be part of it. You are a football coach — if your players didn’t show some discipline, you would let them know, correct?

25. By kenny on Aug 8, 2014 | Reply

hey genius this is my last post as I have no more time for ignorance if you ever saw a playbook It basically consists of x,s and o,s it obvious you are a flat out a waste oh ps I am rooting for LOGAN you just don’t gamble on 4th round picks your parents probably gambled on you have a good season

26. By kenny on Aug 8, 2014 | Reply

excuse me I lied my team won are division and went to the state of FLORIDA to play the winner of the pop warner league in TARPON SPRINGS and in closing while teaching the game verbally to the buys you can not apply your hang up you are one sorry human being I am done for the year ,drafting quarterbacks have never been a strong suit of the CARDINALS any questions forget in what round son get a life and no need to respond I am not interested in fools

2. Aug 2, 2014: John Abraham issues statement regarding DUI | Distinct Athlete