Cards bring in vet T Starks

Posted by Darren Urban on August 1, 2014 – 10:27 am

For a second straight year, the Cardinals have brought in a veteran tackle around the beginning of training camp. Unlike last year, the addition of Max Starks will in theory be about depth than starting — which is really why the Cards grabbed Eric Winston a year ago.

Last year, the Cardinals were not comfortable with Bobby Massie at right tackle, and when Winston was available, they made it work. Winston ended up starting all season. This year, the feeling on Massie has changed. This is likely more of a depth move — Bruce Arians will address it in a bit — and who knows? Maybe this is more about Bradley Sowell or Nate Potter. In the end, it’ll be about the competition it creates. At this point in his career, Starks is no lock to make the roster. He started all 16 games at tackle for the Steelers in 2012, but last year, he played only two games with the Rams after the Chargers cut him in the preseason.

UPDATE: It’s definitely about depth and not Massie.

What he does do is give Arians and OC/OL coach Harold Goodwin someone with whom they are familiar from their time in Pittsburgh.

The Cardinals also cut kicker Danny Hrapmann, so that battle is down to Jay Feely and Chandler Catanzaro. Tackle Cory Brandon was released too, so the Cardinals now have an open roster spot.

StarksBLOG

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to “Cards bring in vet T Starks”

1. By Jsoully on Aug 1, 2014 | Reply

I wonder who the Cardinals will bring over with the extra roster spot

2. By Big Ken on Aug 1, 2014 | Reply

He’s camp fodder.

3. By j on Aug 1, 2014 | Reply

Get a ILB!!! No Brainer…

4. By D on Aug 1, 2014 | Reply

I am ready coach. I just have to reduce my deer velvet supplements (the pills worked for Ray Lewis)..and I think I can push our current long snapper…

5. By NJAzCardsFan on Aug 1, 2014 | Reply

Re: ILB… Is Vilma(ex-Saint) still available…???

6. By NYCardinals212 on Aug 1, 2014 | Reply

D,
    Good luck with that. Mike Leach is as consistent as they come. Its gonna be an uphill battle for you from the get-go. My money is on the incumbent.

7. By br in nc on Aug 2, 2014 | Reply

It might be smart to sign a veteran C/G one who can play both spots. Didn’t I see somewhere that N. Potter has or can play Center, PR am I going totally senile? (please just stick to the football question. The question concerning my senility can only be answered by a doctor, unless someone stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!) LOL
    I guess Dr G could answer as well, after all his “posting name” says he is a Dr, ; )

8. By Darren Urban on Aug 2, 2014 | Reply

br —

RE: Veteran for G/C

You mean someone like Ted Larsen?

9. By br in nc on Aug 2, 2014 | Reply

Actually someone to push Larsen, and a safety net in case of injury to Lyle or Ted, unless someone in camp can play Center as well (rumors that Potter has played C. but not for Cardinals?) Basically a camp body, but insurance as well is what I meant. The “churn the bottom of the roster theory that SK & BA do so well, although may want to look for a NT, injuries seem to be hitting NT, doesn’t sound to serious but….never know. While I have your ear Darren, How has Stimson looked, and is he considered a NT or DE or has he been working both?

10. By br in nc on Aug 2, 2014 | Reply

Sorry, typo- obviously meant STINSON

11. By \KOG on Aug 2, 2014 | Reply

Why not a right side lineman?

2. Aug 1, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | Abraham expected in camp soon