The first depth chart

Posted by Darren Urban on August 4, 2014 – 3:55 pm

The Cardinals released their first depth chart today. There are no real surprises. Newcomer Max Starks is ahead of Bradley Sowell for second-unit right tackle. John Abraham is still listed as a starter. Tony Jefferson is the starter at strong safety over Deone Bucannon. Ryan Lindley is third-team QB over Logan Thomas. But again, these battles are ongoing and we all know, for instance, Thomas and Lindley are essentially fighting for one spot that is basically even right now.

With this being so early in camp, my guess is not a lot will change on the chart. It’s meaning increases once we get to the regular season. Regardless, here is the whole thing:

Microsoft Word - AZ Depth Chart-2014

Tags: , ,

24 Responses to “The first depth chart”

1. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 4, 2014 | Reply

The one thing that jumps out at me is look how far Sowell has fallen. Im not arguing that he shouldn’t fall, Im just saying from starting LT to 3rd string RT can’t be good.

2. By Scott H on Aug 4, 2014 | Reply

My lord, do we REALLY have 6 TE’s on the roster right now??? That would seem rather excessive for a team that has utilized that position about as little as possible over the last couple of…decades??? Obviously, there won’t be 6 of them on the 53-man roster, but, man….can we just fine ONE who can make some plays ( like, say, around the red zone, perhaps? ) and actually give him some chances to make them?

3. By Dr. G. on Aug 4, 2014 | Reply

Darren – I’m lovin’ your little depth chart….way easier to be an arm chair HC with this format on paper… and much easier to follow the men during practice…. Thx…

4. By Garth Short on Aug 4, 2014 | Reply

The running backs surprised me the most.

5. By Amir on Aug 4, 2014 | Reply

Sowell is pretty much gone. Signing of Max Starks sealed that deal. Sowell was supposed to be the swing guy. Max will assume that role now. He really must have a poor off season and camp so far.

6. By cody on Aug 4, 2014 | Reply

P2 should be returning kick offs and punts!

7. By Big Ken on Aug 5, 2014 | Reply

I’m liking the depth on the team. This chart is not set in stone. I think Max Starks is going to be the odd man out. I mean if he couldn’t make Ken Wisenhunt’s San Diego Chargers….

8. By Andy Kw on Aug 5, 2014 | Reply

Cody–
    After watching Tyrann Mathieu’s injury, you think Bruce Arians is willing to risk his Pro Bowl Cornerback? Besides, we have faster players that have already proven to be effective on Kick and Punt Returns. Ted Ginn will improve the return game.

Rob Housler has a lot of upside and if he doesn’t break out this year, it will be the end of the line for him. I think he will finally emerge this season as a legitimate starting TE. John Carlson is 30 so he can only last so long. Rob Housler will face competition from both Carlson and Ballard but I think Housler’s improvements during the off season will elevate his performance on the field. This guy should be more reliable. But my question is if Darren Fells continues to perform well, would this mean the end of the line for Housler?

Deone Bucannon is getting up to speed with the system. The Tony Jefferson and Deone Bucannon battle should be intense.

9. By Patrick Hoog aka DTL on Aug 5, 2014 | Reply

Looks like several good players won’t make it. Guessing 5 TEs 4 RB 5 CB 5 S
    7 DE make The 53.

10. By red bird of death! on Aug 5, 2014 | Reply

I see what s going down already people get ready for some John Brown punt and kick off returns lighting up your day! Whoooooo GOCARDS!

11. By Dr. G. on Aug 5, 2014 | Reply

A really tough ole cowboy describes Housler to me as a ”Duelly with a lawn mower engine.” He’s got no ”want to” and stone hands. Maybe he can get a job at Veldheer’s gym keeping the weights racked up neatly…. There’s some wisdom here. …odd man out….

12. By Dr. G. on Aug 5, 2014 | Reply

The sad reality of this time of year is that there are probably 5 to 7 spots that are actually open to the some 60+ campers and draftees that are rotated in with pick ups and cuts. Again, as we enumerate the players to make the team, there are probably 46 locked on. Then there is the practice squad players that are vulnerable to election by other teams. All-in-all, there may be 110-120 players through the revolving door during this edgy process. The bubble men must be going through some emotional stress never before imagined… But, these are the Big Boys, and they must be for real…in this BUSINESS… I wish them well…. It is all for the CAUSE… the cause is to play in February at HOME! …Be well Cards Fans!

13. By clssylssy on Aug 5, 2014 | Reply

Bear in mind this is only the FIRST draft of the depth chart and there is plenty of time for guys to move up or move on with additions from the waiver wire, etc.
    I especially like the fact that we finally seem to have some TEs that will help our offense enormously and like have depth at safety as we will surely need it with the Honey Badger sidelined. Seems like we always have to let some good talent go when they cut to 53, and I would hope we could keep some of these guys on the practice squad. Preseason is no time to panic as it is really just a real time, real mock final situation that pits hopefuls against Pro-Bowlers and marquis players. I know a lot of fans don’t see the sense in preseason but to those who love the game it can be one of the best times of the year, seeing all the young talent.
    As I recall didn’t Ken Whisenhunt’s Chargers make the playoffs? Must not have been too shabby which doesn’t necessarily reflect negatively on Max Stark! The Clock is ticking down to Magic Time!

14. By Patrick Hoog aka DTL on Aug 5, 2014 | Reply

Man, this is hard, I’ve been counting the must keeps, I get +4 (27 + 27 +3 = 57):
    WR 6 TE 5 RB 4
    OL 9 QB 3
    ST 3
    DL 7 LB 10
    CB 5 S 5

Maybe 1 less at LB , OL, DL ? Still 1 more cut… tough job. Just can’t see cutting 6’7′ 281 lb. TE that can catch and is blocking his as_ off per coaches (Fells). Maybe 5 WR? 4 CB? 8 LB?

15. By Warbird on Aug 5, 2014 | Reply

With Fells playing so well I think Housler is gone

16. By br in nc on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

JJTDG
    I was just getting ready to ask the same question almost word for word very perplexing, I could understand obviously 2nd string LT, but the 3rd string RT has me confused as well.
    I thought he did an admirable job at LT last year considering the circumstances (especially the second half of the season) has to be a good reason, I have to stick to “In BA we trust”! I hope he comes around soon, and makes the team I’am pulling for him!

17. By br in nc on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

I say we found one last year, Ballard impressed me in the short time he was with the team, and he is listed #1 TE, so he must have or is impressing the people who really matter.

18. By br in nc on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

Amir
    I would think that Starks would need to do some impressing of his own, he didn’t exactly “kill it” in SD last year. And as Darren noted, this is a very early and first depth chart, doesn’t really mean a lot yet. Can Starks even play LT, didn’t think he was a swing, thought he was pretty much RT only?

19. By br in nc on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

If someone “claims” a player from our practice squad doesn’t that player have to remain on that teams 53 man roster for the season?

20. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

br in nc —

RE: Claim from practice squad

Active roster for at least three weeks.

21. By Patrick Hoog aka DTL on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

Fells just made squad.. Ballard retires just now.

22. By br in nc on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

Thanks for the info Darren, I think I was mixing the Rule 5 draft in baseball up with the practice squad rules. In MLB if they draft someone via the rule 5 draft he has to remain with the big league team for 1 season or the team faces stiff penalties. Thanks again.

23. By truths4all on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

Sure Starks was not good in Whisenhunt’s system last season, but lots of players there weren’t.

In Arians’ offense, Starks is expected to play to BA system. As a matter of fact, Whisenhunt wanted nothing to do with Carson Palmer and wanted to trade first round picks for Charlie Whitehurst. Doesn’t that tell you Whisenhunt fans enough to finally open your eyes?

24. By Dr. G. on Aug 9, 2014 | Reply

Clssy – – Big Ken – – I wanted to give your comments some pause. The Chargers was not Whiz’s team; he was the OC… maybe nit pickin’ to your point… But, Starks, age 32, had little to do with their success. Sowell, age 25, has proven versatility and durability at his young age…he is the keeper this year… BA needs camp bodies for practice and to motivate others…that’s how I see this… be well…