TE Jake Ballard retires

Posted by Darren Urban on August 6, 2014 – 12:12 pm

The Cardinals’ logjam at tight end was lessened Wednesday when veteran Jake Ballard — who had already missed a couple of days of practice with a sore knee — decided to retire with his ongoing knee issues. Ballard’s career was derailed when he blew out his knee in the Giants’ Super Bowl win over the Patriots after the 2011 season. In a statement released through profootballtalk.com, Ballard said that knee injury was too much to overcome.

“I love this game and have put my heart and soul into it for as long as I can remember,” Ballard’s statement read in part. “After sustaining a serious knee injury while playing for the New York Giants in the Super Bowl, my body never felt the same.  Having a quality of life after football is very important to me and I have witnessed it taken away from others.  I will miss the game tremendously, but I am ready for this next chapter in my life.”

It’s too bad. Ballard is a good guy who came up with a couple of big plays for the Cardinals after signing last season, including a crucial catch in the game-winning drive in Seattle (seen below).  Just a few months ago, he was saying that he already felt better on the field than he did last season. “I feel like I am almost back to my old self. And that’s a relief.” Apparently, that good feeling didn’t last.

“It was an honor and a privilege to play for the NY Giants, New England Patriots, and most recently the Arizona Cardinals,” Ballard’s statement continued. “I met amazing people from all of my teammates, to opponents, to trainers, to coaches, to owners, and everyone in between. I thank you for allowing me to be a part of your fraternity and I wish you all nothing but success.”

Big picture, it’s hard to know if there is any cause-and-effect whether Ballard’s decision — or the troubles it was giving him in camp — had anything to do with how Darren Fells has been playing or the prism within which coach Bruce Arians has seen Fells as he praised him publicly the last few days. Knowing the Cardinals will have four tight ends on the roster, it seems like a quartet of John Carlson, Rob Housler, Troy Niklas and Fells makes some sense.

Tags: , , , , ,

40 Responses to “TE Jake Ballard retires”

1. By Eric G on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

Enjoy your retirement in good health Ballard. It’s never a good idea to sacrifice your knees, you’ll miss them if they were gone.

2. By xBIGxMx on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

“giving up doesn’t always mean you are weak, it means you are strong enough to let go” – Unknown

It takes a lot to give up something you love(Football)when you have to see the bigger picture, big respects to Ballard wish em the best of luck with what ever he decides to do next.

3. By br in nc on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

WOW!!! HOLY CRAP!! What a punch in the gut, this came from way out in left field. The hits just keep coming, now we have lost our #1 TE, What else can go wrong before the season even starts, this is devistating news, absolutely devistating!! Best of luck Jake in all your future endeavours, it takes a big man to retire while still being able to “walk” away from the game, most players that recover from a devistating injury and get back on the field usually try and play to long and in the end their body is broken down and quite useless, not to mention they have to live with severe chronic pain, and quality of life really has to suck! I quickly became a huge Ballard fan last year, if not his #1 fan, I had to be top 3!! (don’t ask me how I determined that, I have no clue! LOL!) But I always had positive posts on here, and was convinced he was going to have a special year for us as are #1 TE, just posted something to that effect a few days ago! Man, I’am in complete shock!!

4. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

br in nc —

RE: Ballard

Carlson is the top tight end. And Niklas is the guy for the future. This is something the Cardinals can withstand.

5. By LadyBird04 on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

While I’m sorry that the Cards will lose him, I wholeheartedly wish him a wonderful retirement – enjoy his family and find his new “dream job”.

Another human interest story now goes to Fells, at 28, getting his shot in the NFL. Sad for one player and an opportunity for another. Much like we all face in our “normal” lives.

Good Luck Jake!

6. By Amir on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

Looks like Housler’s job got a bit secured

7. By Mike G on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is good! I wish Ballard the best —thought he was a big under the radar guy for the Card’s last year. He made some big plays and seemed to fit his role nicely last year. Carlson must stay healthy to me for this unit to be productive. Fells may make the team if he can consistently block people–he is raw. Really feel the heat is on Housler— he must pick it up. He has to be more dependable as a pass catcher and as a blocker .Darren–Do you think if Ballard would of stuck around –Housler would be the odd man out?????

8. By Tucson Card on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

Best wishes. Knee injuries are difficult to overcome.
    Probably made the right decision in the long term.

9. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Odd man out

We’ll never know.

10. By Dynosoar on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

Did not see this coming. Makes who to keep in the TE squad a little easier. Darren on your odd man out answer, well played and accurate.

11. By Dynosoar on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

br in nc,

Here’s to your return from #6 with all intact.

I was once working two jobs and finishing my degree and not spending much time at home with my wife and children and what time I was at home was with what my instructors thought was important and they didn’t seem concerned about my time with my family.

One day while driving home, I was pondering the age old “quality time vs. quantity time.” I was inspired that quantity time can always become quality time, but quality time cannot become quantity time.”

As soon as I could, even before finishing the schooling, I turned two jobs into one that paid better than the two combined. I get as much quantity time as I can.

How does this matter? Your “ramblings” and others are quantity time and contain gems of quality comments. I enjoy reading all your posts (and everyone else’s as well). I enjoy some friendly bantering (Kenny, have a few commas,,,,,,, Haha, sorry my friend couldn’t resist – poke one back at me) I enjoy draft guesses… err, expert opinions based on time and effort to understand possibilities, I enjoy thoughts on the team in general and in specific.

I even enjoy a few thumbs up thrown my way. This site is good for me. I hope I contribute to make it good for ya’ll.

12. By Dynosoar on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

Can hardly stand the waiting for Saturday night when we here NASA quoted as “Houston! We have a problem. It’s the Cardinals.”

13. By e on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

Makes me a little nervous…One Carlson consussion away from Housler and Niklas being the starters

14. By Itsallinthecards on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

It was sounding like Darren Fells was going to get cut. Now it looks like he and Housler are safe. We still are in way better shape than last year at tight end. Jim Dray was a starter.

This is a bummer, but I hope his knee heals up and he still can play sports with his kids – quality of life is obviously important for us all.

15. By D on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

I’ll give Jake a lot of cred, I don’t know too many 26yrs people that would leave that life..hope all works out for him..

1/2 the TE’s on the roster in Fells and Niklas could play PowerForward..those boys are huge!

Housler probably can sleep better tonight.

16. By Corgon on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

Wow! It’s a shame! I liked him. He was a really good player. Sad to see him ending his career like this, but I wish him all the best!

17. By T. Stone on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

If Housler starts to sleep better at night with this news then he will be packing up his bag of potential and upside and taking his talents to Jacksonville. I would be surprised if they keep him on the roster. Just take a look at his career stats, even 3rd round picks have a leash and his needs to be short just to make it out of camp.

18. By BigAl on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

First off “Best of luck to Jake & Family!” he sure worked hard & gave it all on the field! Showed Cards fans what a True TE is supposed to look & play like!

Second, I have to respectfully disagree w/Darren… & agree w/e above & somewhat w/br in nc this changes the whole TE dynamic grouping…As e stated,
    “One Carlson consussion away from Housler and Niklas being the starters.”

And Darren…in a two TE set where the recently released Depth Chart had Ballard
    opposite Carlson… who will now fill the “blocking” TE spot vacated by Ballard?
    The rookie w/the broken hand? Housler can’t block or catch a pass? Sorry, but this is the truth!

Odd man out… We may soon find out?

19. By clssylssy on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

I think we are all stunned at this news as there had been no indications from BA that this was a possibility, but, at the same time would not want to see Jake risk long term disability by aggravating his injury further. He is too young and has too much ahead of him and I’m glad he is doing the sensible thing; he will nonetheless be missed.
    Carlson may be our #1 guy but hasn’t been very durable in the past Nicklas may be our future but is no Jimmy Graham, Housler is on his third strike and Fells??? I guess to me, it’s looking like we’re about where we have been all along (perhaps it was your emphasis that Carlson is our TOP TE?). With his performance last season Jake Ballard provided some consistency to this TE group with his veteran knowledge of our offense. Best Luck to you Jake, keep working on rehabbing that knee!!

20. By br in nc on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

I know we had the deepest TE group that we have ever had, that I can remember anyway. But I really liked what I saw out of him late year, and was looking forward to see what he could do this year, ie… I really liked the Guy! Which is ironic, didn’t care much for him wearing a giants or a patriots uni….

21. By Andy Kw on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

I wish TE Jake Ballard the best. When healthy, this guy is the best monster TE on the field. When injured, he still makes other TEs look like toys. We will miss you man and thanks for your contributions to the team.

22. By krehbieo14 on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

Best wishes to Jake Ballard. I will always remember his stellar performance in the Super Bowl!

23. By JohnnyBluenose on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

I know it’s early and I know it’s not Cooper’s fault that he broke his leg in a pre-season game last year but I can’t help wondering, after reviewing the 2013 draft picks, if some of us won’t be thinking about Cooper in the same way Levi Brown was thought of during his tenure here. Let us hope not.

24. By br in nc on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

Dynosoar,
    Thanks for the well wishes, they are appreciated! Any time spent with the family is precious time, unfortunately I didn’t figure that out until much later in life, costing me, not one but two families (never married the second) my career choice came first, it has to when your property of Uncle Sam, but I as well could have left after 4 years, and hopefully found a career where I would have been home more, I missed the birth of my first 2 children, both times I was on 6 month deployments on a ship in the Pacific ocean sailing from port to port. As well with my second “not wife” (never made it official) W moved in together in and less than a month later, I left for Japan for a year deployment and just as that year was coming to an end Somalia started heating up and I was diverted straight there, so it turned into 16 months apart, that probably doomed that relationship right then and there, but somehow we stayed together, 2 kids as well as a step-daughter with her, a bunch of other small deployments in between ( one year those 10-15 day trips/deployments added up to a total of 282 days away!) Then 9/11 happened, 34 days later I was in Afghanistan, from then until 2008, 7years, of which 5 deployments adding up to 4 1/2 years gone in either Afghanistan or Iraq, at one point the fall of 2002 arrived in Afghanistan and left there in January 2003 straight to Iraq for the start of the war and the push to Baghdad didn’t leave Iraq until November so another 15 months where she was alone raising the kids, playing both mom and dad, I got back and surprise, we split up! But I do understand no woman should have to endure that, basically I was gone more than I was home, and when I was home, I really wasn’t emotionally! But I have my youngest son (who will be 18 in Dec) as well my step-daughter (turned out I am closer to her than my oldest two children! She is 26, and she has my pride and joy’s my 3 grand babies, you better believe I spend quality and quantity time with them, my 6 year old granddaughter practically lives with PaPa (just finished painting the spare bedroom pink, it is now hers of course!! LOL.
    But there goes the rambling again, damnit, I really have to cut back here, but as you were saying, Darren’s blog is by far the best (Brownie points Darren!!) as well all the posters are by far more mature and intelligent than any other community sport site I have ever been apart of, most sites they are calling names, making threats, and can’t ever agree to just disagree, and God forbid, you don’t agree with a comment, or ask them for facts to support their posting, all hell breaks loose, and I’m not just talking about Cardinal football sites, I’m talking a variety of different sports sites, hell even ESPN turns into a hatred filled, name calling spewfest within the first 5 posts, of amazing, you try to present your opinion for discussion, or try to present a different angle on the situation, and if isn’t in line with the majority, look out you will get blasted! That is one of the reasons I love this site, seems most of the times you can have a discussion, even heated at times, (can’t take all the fun out of it) but everyone here states their argument and moves on to live to fight another day! As well most, not all mind you, but most posters on here have no problem “eating a little tasty dish of crow” If it turns out they are proven wrong, I know I have eaten my fair share!! LOL! Let me sign on off before Darren blocks me for excessive ramblings, or using all his blog storage space on his mainframe!! Later Dynosoar!!

25. By br in nc on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

I wonder if Jake had preliminary discussions about possible “retirement with SK & the Coaches or if he just woke up this morning and new it was time to walk away while he could walk?
    Darren, I know it sounds cold, but how will this affect the salary cap, or will it at all?

26. By Dynosoar on Aug 6, 2014 | Reply

br in nc

Personally I like to put my crow in the smoker with cherry wood and a special spice rub my wife concocted. Then we use a balsamic/blackberry dipping sauce.

Might be why I make all these wild Super Bowl predictions every year, crow’s quite tasty when cooked right. Haha.

Take care my friend. I don’t want to lose your thoughts. I don’t want to lose anyone’s comments. As you said, this is possibly the classiest, informative, enjoyable and discussion based blogs I’ve ever been a part of. And we have fun to.

Looking forward to 1-0, then 2-0, then 3-0, then 4-0, then 1-0, and 2-0 and 3-0 all the way to 19-0. Can we say Dolphins who? Haha, there goes my predictions again, unrealistic, but fun to dream.

I see us at 13-3 with home field advantage all the way through the Super Bowl. Seattle may have felt it was destiny for them to win last year… It’s ours this year.

27. By Big Ken on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

Darren, Do you see the team looking at anyone else at tight end? Jermichael Finley?

28. By Darren Urban on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

br —

RE: Cap

They will save a little. Not much in the grand scheme. Depends on final 53.

29. By Darren Urban on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

Big Ken —

RE: TE

I could see them bringing someone in, but not Finley.

30. By Barry Bond on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

From the looks of that 3rd down catch in the Seahawk game his heart caught that pass! It looked like his knee gave out just as he reached the side line. Good luck Jake, wish you the best. Thanks for being a Cardinal even if it was for a short time. We still got 10 wins, almost 11 last year!!!

31. By br in nc on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

Dynosoar,
    Hell I’m not proud, I have “eaten so much crow” I could publish a cookbook! Thinking of calling it “10,000 ways to eat crow and enjoy it”. Willing to bet it would make the NY Times best seller list! LOL!
    But no matter, I will continue to let my opinion be known (and believe it or not I have been right quite a bit as well) That’s what is nice about this board, everyone of us can be GM, HC, judge, jury, and executioner, and our job is not on the line! The worst we get are some “thumbs down, a little ridicule, some ribbing, maybe a bruised ego (I personally got over the bruised ego thing long ago!) and of course, a nice big helping of crow! And the best thing is, we are getting all these things from seasoned veterans who have all been there, and done that, all before!! And a few heated disagreements are always fun, and keeps it interesting! But what I like most is in the end we are all Cardinal fanatics, and have run the gauntlet of ridicule over the years, most of which were losing seasons and no hope for the future, and now that the Cardinals have turned the corner and are now respected and even feared, where are all the trolls now! On this site we all have different opinions, but we discuss those opinions (sometimes in very heated reply’s) but without the name calling or disgusting comments you get at most other sites, just because you have a different opinion than some other poster! I love to see when a troll pops in on our board, we all could have a different opinion on a certain topic that has turned into a heated discussion, but we all jump to the others defense against the troll, or someone pops off on Darren, and wham, we all jump in and silence the troll pretty damn quick, and as one huge Cardinal fan! I would be willing to bet that most of the posters on here are more experienced (don’t like the word “older”, since I resemble that remark! LOL!) and have been around long enough and have matured enough to realize, in the end we are discussing a GAME!

32. By Scott H on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

br in nc –

Whoa, man…JAKE BALLARD was our #1 TE??? No, he absolutely was not. Nor was he going to be. As Darren has already pointed out, Carlson is definitely the front runner at that position ( not at all a surprise ) and you would have to think that they are high on the rookie Niklas given where they drafted him. And with Housler still hanging around because he has shown he CAN make plays when he is healthy….really, where was Ballard on this depth chart for real? I’m guessing that if Arians was in pain just watching Ballard trying to make it through the practices…he was NOT out top TE. Nor was he going to be.

All the same, Jake, we thank you for the big 3rd down play against Seattle last year and we wish you well.

33. By br in nc on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

I read an article Jake said his knee joint was now bone on bone!
    I had a buddy of mine who was a Navy SEAL and had blew out his knee and was bone on bone at the joint, you could hear it grinding when he walked, it was a horrible grinding, clicking noise, painful as hell just listening to him walk, he had to give up being an operator on an active SEAL team, relegated to a desk job at the SEAL training center for the last 5 years of his career because of it. Jake had to be in some intense pain, and it had to be very difficult to perform at the level he did. Kudos to him for making a go of it!!

34. By BigAl on Aug 8, 2014 | Reply

By Scott H… usually I agree w/you…not this time! In support of By br in nc… If you saw the first Depth Chart posted Monday…Ballard was opposite Carlson on the first team…Depending on down & distance BA likes to pair a blocker w/a receiver type TE’s…
    Did you know that when Carlson received a concussion just last Dec. w/Minnesota (his 3rd on record) it ended his season…he contemplated retirement then! In the spring after extensive Dr’s. examinations personal & Minnesota’s… they let him go saving some cap space…As little e stated above, “we’re one Carlson concussion away from Housler/Niklas”…
    Now, we’ve all read great things about Niklas & pray he is BA’s ‘Heath Miller’ type of TE (blocker first)! Remains to be seen…

So Scott, I guess your the Receiver FF type of TE guy! BALLARD on his retirement knees!!! Could do it all! Carlson can catch passes & run routes…Housler…well he can run! Maybe when he gets healthy??? we’ll see what he can do? In 3 years 96 total receptions…1004 total yards…1 TD…151 targets…
    And horrendous blocking!
    Heath Miller BLOCKS! And does that in his sleep! As did BALLARD hurt!
    So was Ballard our #1 TE??? It’s hard to say… being that we only had him for 1 week of practice b4 he went directly into the line-up! And, 8 weeks worth of games!!! Which, coincidentally aligns with our season turn around last year! Based on that, & all the response in this blog…he sure made a positive impact in a very short time here! Was he our #1 TE? All around for BA’s system…Here is your answer…Ballard, made it possible for a guy like Carlson…to do his thing!

35. By br in nc on Aug 8, 2014 | Reply

Scott H
    Have to disagree with you on this one, Jake came through pretty big last year, especially when you consider the short amount of time he was with the team. All things aside (especially the knee injury) he would have been a very big contributor this year, IMHO he was the best all around TE on the roster, to at least start the season, with Nicklas being a rookie you just never know how well/quickly he is going to adapt to the NFL and BA’s offense. Carlson also is an unknown to a lesser degree of course, he has a history of multiple injuries, but hopefully he can stay healthy, I think it was going to be Carlson & Ballard as the starters, with the rookie rotating in for quite a few snaps if he could progress and prove to the coaches that he had the offense down. As I had posted before (and I have to stick to my guns, can’t flip flop around) unless Housler had a monster camp and popped the coaching staffs eyes out of their skulls, I truly believe he would be gone, either via trade or outright cut, I believe Fells had the inside track on the last TE spot, Fells blocking skills are way ahead of Housler, and supposedly he has greatly improved his route running and pass catching. The one caveat in all this is Ballard’s knee, I had no clue he was struggling with it, I thought he was back to 100%, truly thought he had beaten the odds, if in fact he was 100% he would have put up pro bowl numbers (he quickly became one of Palmer’s favorite targets especially in the red zone) this year. I do know one thing that is fact and not my opinion…Jake is a better man than me! He is out there participating at the highest level of football with a knee joint that is BONE ON BONE, and most if not all posters on here were shocked at his sudden retirement (including yours truly!) as well, not so much as a peep out of the coaching staff or teammates. prior to his announced retirementI truly believe that none of them were aware of the problems it was causing him, in my book that is the definition of TOUGH!!
    As far as Jake’s retirement securing Housler’s spot on the final roster, I’m not so sure that’s the case, again its just my opinion (and we don’t get a whole lot of coverage of Cardinals camp on TV out here, none to be blunt! And of course I haven’t attended any practices, combined with very little written coverage of Housler’s camp leads me to believe he is not “blowing the doors off of anything” performance wise that is) I just have a feeling that if an unexpected. cut of a well rounded, reasonably price veteran pops up and the Cardinals think he can help, I think Fells stays and Housler is the “odd man out”. What do you think? Do you believe Housl has truly lived up to his potential? You do realize that even though we have differing opinions every once in awhile…I still Love ya man!!! LOL!!!!

36. By Scott H on Aug 9, 2014 | Reply

Big Al –

Well, dude, his showing on the depth chart obviously did not prevent him from being cut. So, what does that tell us? It tells us that any depth chart for any team posted about the time camp is starting is probably a living thing at best. It is obviously not something that you can run to the bank with. Depth charts are, always will be subject to rapid and dramatic change.

br in nc –

Hey, I don’t want to sound like I am anti Jake Ballard here! Not the case at all. If healthy, I have no doubt he would be a solid TE here OR anywhere else. BUT HE’S NOT. That is what this came down to. We can all have our own opinions of who is / would be a better TE and given that there appear to be no proven super stars at this position on the Cardinals roster right now, no one’s opinion would be wrong. We’ll see how it turns out. As I have said, I just want SOMEONE to become a playmaker at TE for the Cardinals ( something we have not had in a long, long time ) and it hardly matters to me who it is! As always, I enjoy the dialogue with you

Big Al – you, too!

37. By BigAl on Aug 9, 2014 | Reply

By Scott H
    Thanks for the sentiment brother! And I do most certainly agree…we have not had a playmaking TE here since, since, since? Well I honestly can’t remember?

However, Jake Ballard ‘RETIRED’, because of bone on bone knees! He was only 26, in his 4th year! HE WAS NOT CUT! Thank You very much!

Since Jay Novacek!

38. By Scott H on Aug 10, 2014 | Reply

Big Al –

OK, my bad, you got me there. I knew he retired, so I don’t even know why I said he was cut.

And, WOW, do we really have to go back to Jay Novacek to find our last notable TE??? If yes, then I am depressed. Since you have been around at least that long, let me throw a name at you – how ’bout that Chris Gedney? He wasn’t Jimmy Graham but that kid could make some plays. And he did, during that 1998 season ( Jake Plummer ) when we went to the playoffs.

And going back BEFORE Novacek, how ‘ bout that Pat Tilley? He was like a Wes Welker at the TE position.

39. By BigAl on Aug 11, 2014 | Reply

By Scott H
    Hmm, ya know Scott I remember that I liked Gedney…but I don’t really remember anything special that comes to mind? I know this…I loved that ’98’ season! I loved
    the two QB’s of those two players! Jake the ‘Snake’ that kid from nowhere… accomplished some things! I remember a lot of late game heroics w/ Jake & Larry
    Centers! And others…Ha back in those tuf years @ Sun Devil…I used to tell the guys @ work…just wait just wait til we get our own new stadium! In the meantime Jake should be inducted into the HOF just for getting the Cards to the playoffs & beating Dallas in those lean years!

I kinda remember Tilley doing a lot more as a receiving TE! And that is in part why I became a Cards fan! Way back in the day… b4 I’d ever seen Marino or Warren Moon spin the Rock…I was memorized by one JIM HART man he could spin it! Prettiest spiral I had ever seen until Warren Moon…I grew up in Chicago
    so of course I was a Bears fan first. This was b4 the W. Peyton era & the Cards
    old/old history went back to Chicago…so I tried to keep track of both teams as a kid…took a lot of Crap for following the Cards! Then my family moved to Phoenix
    & years later the Cards followed me here I like to think…I been waiting for years for this team to be what it is NOW!

In 2008 I went around singin WGTTSB! WERE GOIN TO TH SUPER BOWL!
    WERE GOIN TO THE SUPER BOWL!

In 2014 WHOOSB! WERE HOSTING OUR OWN SUPER BOWL!
    WERE HOSTING OUR OWN SUPER BOWL!

Anyhow, Scott a productive receiving TE has been very lean following this team over the years! Especially in a BA two TE system…Here’s to hoping the whole group especially Carlson can stay healthy!

And, Oh, Thanks for owning up! Appreciate it! Knew that wasn’t you!

2. Aug 6, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | Defense knows too much (and other notes)