B.A. talks Sims, Badger, Coop

Posted by Darren Urban on August 7, 2014 – 12:21 pm

Some quick notes from Bruce Arians’ lunchtime presser, on the last day of availability before the Cardinals actually get to play a game Saturday against the Texans at home:

– The only player Arians said he plans to hold out from the game is center Lyle Sendlein, who is still dealing with the bad calf. Wide receiver John Brown was shut down in practice again yesterday due to fatigue in the hamstring, but Arians emphasized again it’s not injured. He also said Brown should have no issues in the game because he will be getting rests between possessions.

– The Cardinals cut LB Ernie Sims because he was not a fit, and Arians figured, as a veteran, the team owed it to Sims to let him go now to see if he could find a team that he could actually fit. As for the two empty roster spots with Sims’ release and the Jake Ballard retirement, he said the Cardinals aren’t in any hurry to fill them. “We’ve got way too many now,” Arians quipped.

– Ballard’s retirement was not a surprise to Arians. “I was in pain watching him trying to make it through practice,” the coach said. Ballard’s last MRI showed bone-on-bone, and Ballard’s future in the NFL was grim. “Hate to see it because he has such a passion for the game,” Arians said. “But it was the right move.”

– Arians dismissed the optimism of Tyrann Mathieu yesterday (although Mathieu’s demeanor and full comments at the time showed he too understood he wasn’t exactly at the doorstep of coming off PUP.) “We’ll still stick with our timetable and see how it comes out and when he comes off,” Arians said.

– Guard Jonathan Cooper’s play has improved since he had his knee drained, Arians said. “I thought he moved around much better.” No word on whether the knee is any concern. Arians didn’t make it sound like it was.

– Teams are able to use tablets on the sideline for the first time, but Arians sounds wary after using them during the Fan Fest practice. Like most tablet users, coaches have had some issues with glare from the screen, whether it’s the lights indoors at University of Phoenix Stadium or an outdoor stadium. “I’ll go back to the (still) pictures,” Arians said. “I’m old school.” he smiled. “Tom (Moore) will handle all the high-tech stuff.”

Moore, of course, is 75. Arians is 61.

Tags: , , , , , ,

13 Responses to “B.A. talks Sims, Badger, Coop”

1. By Mark on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

I am praying Cooper can stay healthy and show his potential this year. I really want him to have an opportunity to show off his abilities. He is a great person, and I really believe he will bring it this year. Saturday cannot come soon enough, and we will see who starts to stand out. I am particularly looking at TE and the linebackers, can Fells continue to stand out? Will Kevin Minter play like we know hes capable of?

Best of luck to the Cardinals, and may we have a healthy year! I cannot wait to witness the Offense have much greater success this year! LETS GO BIRDGANG!

2. By azqfan on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

Darren, I haven’t heard anything in a while about Zach Bauman? I know its a long shot for him to make them team, but is he playing on special teams at all? I know he never did that at NAU. Is he a practice squad option?

3. By Darren Urban on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

azqfan –

RE: Bauman

I could see him maybe on the practice squad. We’ll see how the games look.

4. By Dynosoar on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

Thanks for the highlight video. That was fun to watch. Looking forward to Saturday’s game Oh so bad.

5. By clssylssy on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

I see where Coop had his knee drained and is moving better…geez, poor guy, must have been a VERY BAD break w knee involvement! I sure hope he can get back up to speed and have a good year but it doesn’t sound like anyone knew he was having the problem with his knee. I just hope they take the same precaution with him as they are with Tyrann and don’t put him out there too soon. I see Watford and Estes (who I can’t place) are behind him on the depth chart…any chance they will use one of the open spots to pick up a LG from waivers?
    It seems that most of the teams who are contenders (or made the playoffs last year) are sitting their starters for the preseason opener, which to me seems like the prudent thing to do. I know that fans go to see their favorite players and scream enough about the price of tickets that aren’t discounted for the preseason so there is pressure on the organization to please, however, given the numerous opportunities for fans to see the team in Training Camp and fanfest wonder if BA will hold any of our starter? As he has pointed out before, the Veterans really don’t need the practice.

6. By br in nc on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

Leave it to BA to keep the pressers light hearted!! Love the quip about coach Moore handling the tablet and technology, have a feeling neither BA or TM are beating down the doors to get there hands on a tablet!! LOL!
    I too can live just fine without all this technology!!
    My dad has never owned a microwave, he always says, they can keep there technology, besides why the hell do I need one, I have a stove!! What’s really funny about it, mom and dad own 3 restaurants, and have been in the business for over 15 years, the last time I visited them I walk into the kitchen of there home and there is a big empty space where the stove goes, so I ask dad if the stove is broke, turns out he sold it shortly after buying the first restaurant because, and I quote, “I don’t need a stove in my house I have plenty of them at the restaurants”! So I asked him if he was going to cave in to technology (course this is 30 years after microwaves are out on the market, so really not a huge leap of faith as far as upgrading with technology!) and buy a microwave, he says, “nope, don’t need it, I just eat the food hot, right off the stove at one of the restaurants”! (Mind you this is probably a $250,000 house they live in, and 1 of 5 they own, they bought 3 houses about 15 years ago one for each of us kids, I finally convinced him I wasn’t moving back and to sell the house they bought for me and take a vacation!!) So not only is dad against change, afraid of technology, he is also penny Pincher from hell, on certain things only though!) BA seems like the same type of personality as my pops!!

7. By Jsoully on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

I really don’t want to see a guy like Bobby Massie fail, he is giving a 100% and he looks more physical! every time I see a highlight (yes I know highlights make everyone look good) and I think jeez he is straight up making his speed rushing counterparts look ineffective. Please by the football gods I hope he wins the starting job and keeps and become the pro bowl tackle we’ve been praying for.

8. By Steve on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

Darren: I know your not a medical professional but is draining a knee a precursor to a more serious problem in the joint? I know Arians didn’t provide more details but Cooper is still trying to recover from his ankle injury and now he has a bum knee to boot. I’m pulling for the kid but this sounds potentially troublesome.

9. By hminus on Aug 8, 2014 | Reply

Didnt know Coops knee was ailing,is it the same leg that was broken last year?…is it seperate from or related to previous injury?…& might they be looking @ an ILB to fill one of the vacant roster spots?…

10. By Dynosoar on Aug 8, 2014 | Reply

How soon are the first cuts. We have a 90 man roster and with losing a couple I believe we are at 88 current.

As BA said regarding filling these two spots, we have too many on the roster already. Why fill the roster with two people who will be cut in a week or two as the roster is cut down. That doesn’t seem kind to the two.

Leave it at 88, I don’t see anyone filling these two spots making the team, so if they’re only there to fill bodies…

11. By eric randall on Aug 9, 2014 | Reply

Chance warmack and Larry Warford……tried to pull a rabbit out of the hat with the Jonathan Cooper pick and it will probably backfire

12. By br in nc on Aug 9, 2014 | Reply

Eric
    No other way to put this other than you are wrong. There was no rabbit pulling or smoke-n-mirrors of any kind, Cooper was the real deal at UNC, an absolute monster! How about we reserve judgement until he at least takes a snap in a real game, judging any draft pick this early (remember Cooper is basically a rookie) could only cause a “backfire” on you.

2. Aug 8, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | Healthy Cards cut another linebacker