Cardinals cut LB Sims

Posted by Darren Urban on August 7, 2014 – 9:16 am

It’s been a quick start to the news of the day, with the Cardinals releasing veteran linebacker Ernie Sims — whose last act as a Cardinal was intercepting a Drew Stanton pass during a drive drill at the end of practice Tuesday that deflected high in the air (picture below). It isn’t that surprising. If you have a veteran who doesn’t really have a chance of making the team — and Sims clearly wasn’t going to surpass Kevin Minter, Lorenzo Alexander, Larry Foote or Kenny Demens at inside linebacker at this point — you’d rather move on and not expose him to injury in a game that could cause an IR trip and/or a drain on the salary cap.

The Cardinals now have two open roster spots, after dropping Sims and the retirement of tight end Jake Ballard. We’ll see how those get filled. I assume they will be filled.

– Came across this article about Adrian Wilson in Chicago last night. Made me chuckle. A interview that lasted less than two minutes? An icy glare? Dismissing a question? Been there, done that with Dub. Plus, there’s a picture of him sporting jersey No. 44. My favorite part of the transcript:

“On whether he feels any differently at this point in training camp than he has in Pro Bowl seasons, health-wise:

(Wilson appeared annoyed. He ignored this question and turned to another reporter.)”

86SimsINTuse

Tags: ,

16 Responses to “Cardinals cut LB Sims”

1. By D on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

Not a surprise
    Could be a player or two released the next few weeks the Cards could bring in, have to wait to see if the Cards get any injuries to fill holes. Looking at their depth chart, they appear in good shape.

I am hoping Acho gets a chance at Texans LT Brown to see if he can be a 9-10 sack per year kind of player. Maybe the Cards already have their future OLB’s on the roster with Okafor and Acho.

2. By Andy Kw on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

Since our depth at ILB is pretty much set, which players for what positions will the team sign to fill the 2 roster spots?
    -We have a lot of depth at QB, RB, WR, TE, DL, ILB, OLB, CB, SS. The team might choose to sign a FS or even an OG for insurance due to J. Cooper’s struggles.
    -I think this team should resign OG/C Mike Gibson to battle Ted Larsen for the backup role behind Lyle Sendlein. Gibson has one year under Arians’ system. He is a reliable backup that could give Ted Larsen a run for his money.
    -For the FS position, I think we should sign Ed Reed. He is a proven veteran that could bring some leadership on the backfield. He could mentor Deone Bucannon and Tony Jefferson with his excellent resume as a former Baltimore Raven star. Reed should be depth behind Rashad Johnson. Once T. Mathieu is back to speed, Reed can still stay on the team as insurance in case we need him. I think Reed still has some gas left in his tank and I think he still has 1-2 more years of power left in him. Reed might have had his issues last season but I am pretty sure his bad past is behind him.

3. By Big Ken on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

Demens is looking pretty good.

4. By Jsoully on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

Andy Kw,

Your going veterans, you think more along the line of young players that can fill in as camp bodies or unproven talent. I like Darwin Cook, the safety just released from Cleveland and he has potential as a hard hitting safety. We also need to make up for Ballard retiring so signing recently waived A.C. Leonard would maybe give us someone who can compete for that 4th spot.

5. By br in nc on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

AndyKw
    Have to half agree with you. Gibson, maybe I could see that. Reed, no way, Reed is way past his prime, injury prone and probably wants way to much money. Lately he gets a big contract under his belt, then seems to get injured, don’t really need the leadership he would provide, we have Cross and PP as leaders, with his new contract (and what seems to be the new future face of the Cardinals) PP needs to take a much bigger role as a leader both on, and off the field,which I’m pretty confident he will take a huge leadership role, seems like a natural leader! (Afterall he didn’t have to stand up for Tyrann before the draft, or take him under his wing once the Cards drafted him, he even moved him in to his home, that’s a move a natural leader takes!!)

6. By br in nc on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

Of course autocorrect at it again**was trying to type “CRO” not cross (at least the autocorrect was close this time!!!! LOL)

7. By br in nc on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

Sims comes as no surprise, hasn’t really panned out anywhere (example of a 1st round flop) you just never no which picks will pan out and which wont. Plus he is a natural OLB tarrying to fill a hole as an ILB. (If I were a betting man, I would drop some cash that he ends up back in Dallas)

8. By Ace Player on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren-any word of Trevardo Williams on how hes doing or what position he’ll be used in since our OLB core is stacking up???

9. By j on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

acho i always thought was the real deal, intelligence speed and strength plus the passion for the game.

10. By azqfan on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

Andy Kw, There is NO WAY we should sign Ed Reed. He is DONE. slow, won’t tackle anymore etc. We can’t keep that many safeties anyway, especially one that doesn’t play special teams. He was great in his day, but that day is long gone.

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

Ace —

RE: Trevardo

Right now, he’s just trying to get some reps. He’ll have to show in the games.

12. By br in nc on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

Jsoully,
    Any background on Darwin Cook?? What intrigues you about him?
    AC Leonard is a more know name, but not familiar with Darwin Cook.

13. By Scott H on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

OK. Not really a surprise. I know some people were thinking Sims was gonna step in and be a significant contributor, but….nope. I’m not losing any sleep over this because the guy’s recent rack record would have to tell ya something about the impression / impact he has been making on others. AND HE’S ONLY 29 YEARS OLD! I have confidence in what BA and his coaches are seeing or not seeing. And if there were so many other guys ahead of him on the depth chart, then that is alright. Let’s give them more playing time to get them ready to play this season.

I really don’t think “Man, I wish Ernie Sims were still here” is a lament we will hear often during the season.

Ed Reed??? Seriously? Oh, for the love of God, man…..yeah, and maybe Emmitt Smith has another good season left in him, too. Let’s get him in here!

14. By Jsoully on Aug 7, 2014 | Reply

Br,
    Well if you look him up he has 3 years starting experience at West Virginia, career year his Senior year with interceptions (4) and tackles (74), proven talented leader at West Virginia, maybe an extra body now but more a developmental safety who can play the back end while Deone and Rashad are closer to the line of scrimmage in the nickel package. I’m more of trying to figure out why A.C. Leonard came out early.

15. By br in nc on Aug 8, 2014 | Reply

Thanks for the info, I can look him up, your right, but stats aren’t everything, I like to read personal opinions as well, and just like you did above, you put it in layman’s terms how you think the Cards would/could be best served in putting his talents to work, it makes the reading so much more enjoyable, plus I value the opinions/knowledge of most of the “regular veteran posters on this board. Thanks again Jsoully!
    Oops, almost forgot, your opinion on AC Leonard is spot on!! I agree 100%, AC is probably thinking the same thing, should have stayed in school.

2. Aug 7, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | B.A. talks Sims, Badger, Coop