Healthy Cards cut another linebacker

Posted by Darren Urban on August 8, 2014 – 9:45 am

Remember how Bruce Arians joked about how the Cardinals had “way too many” on the roster right now? It looks like there was some truth in that quip. I mean, Arians said that in response to when the Cards might fill to two open spots left with the departures of Jake Ballard and Ernie Sims. Not only have the Cardinals not filled those spots, but they created another one Friday when they cut outside linebacker Trevardo Williams, who had just been claimed off waivers last weekend.

Arians had already said the only player expected to miss Saturday’s preseason opener against Houston was starting center Lyle Sendlein, down with his calf injury. Even with Williams’ release, that leaves 85 players on the roster prepared to play (minus PUP guys Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta’amu). That seems a bit much to juggle as it is (hence, Arians “way too many” comment.) A couple of guys aren’t expected to play because of position-battle preseason rotations — QB Ryan Lindley and K Jay Feely this week — but the Cardinals have plenty at all the positions, especially since they are trying to see the performance of some young guys.

This leaves three roster spots open, which is handy given that once you go through a preseason game, inevitably some guys will get banged up. The Cardinals can easily buoy those positions next week if needed.

Tags: , , ,

14 Responses to “Healthy Cards cut another linebacker”

1. By Big Ken on Aug 8, 2014 | Reply

Teams will be cutting players as well, get ready for the roster churn. ‘Roster Churn’-sounds like a dance!

2. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 8, 2014 | Reply

Just was watching the Oline vs Dline battles on your video.

Man, I can not wait to see Bruce Gatson in a live game. This guy, in the clips you have shown, is not only making the team, but getting significant playing time.

Looking forward to seeing Gatson, Acho and Okefer, Bucannon, and Minter.

On offense, Ginn and Jaron Brown seem to be on every highlight. I’m looking forward to seeing how this line gels also.

3. By AzDesertRat1953 on Aug 8, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren, is it only me thinking this; That the Team is so good that Kiem and BA feel that they just don’t need any more players, at this moment, unless they are real good and could be part of the final cut? I do not remember any other season where the Cards Always had 89 or 90 at All times this time of year.

GO CARDS!!!

4. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2014 | Reply

AzDesert —

RE: Roster

Health makes a difference. Things will change when/if guys get banged up Saturday.

5. By D on Aug 8, 2014 | Reply

Darren-
    Adub should send Kent Somers a free pair of shoes from his Scottsdale store for having it so easy with the media while playing in the desert. His back and forth with the Chicago media is funny.
    Imagine if Belicheck didn’t have his rules to the players in NE about talking to the media, the Boston media would have made Adub walk out on a ledge.

6. By EDijkstra on Aug 8, 2014 | Reply

Hi Darren,

You make it sound like Dan Williams will be playing. Is that right?

Also, what position is Gaston a candidate for: nose tackle, end, or both?

Thanks,

Jim

7. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2014 | Reply

ED —

RE: Williams/Gaston

Williams will play. Gaston is probably a little undersized for NT but he has been playing there.

8. By Big Ken on Aug 8, 2014 | Reply

On ‘Minter’s Defense’ I think he’ll be a worthy heir to the throne. Lets throw him the keys to the Ferrari

9. By br in nc on Aug 8, 2014 | Reply

As well he played in a 4-3 in college as a DT, seeing the video and reading the praises on here make his story even better. Just from the video it looks like his frame could handle some more weight.
    Darren, seeing him live and up close does it look like he could put on some weight, and not negatively affect his production?? (Or anyone else who has had the privilege of watching live and in person?)

Darren, This reply brings up one more question I have been meaning to ask you, do you have on the field access throughout training camp and the season, or do you have to remain with other media members? I have always just took for granted that you have more access than outside media members since you are part of the Cardinals organization.

10. By br in nc on Aug 8, 2014 | Reply

JTDG,
    Have you watched enough practice during camp to tell if Ginn is still plagued with the fumbling problem or dropping excess amount of passes? (That was a huge issue here in Carolina, coaches used to talk about it, and posters on the Panthers boards used to go insane, they also didn’t seem to be satisfied with his KR/PR production, they would constantly light him up for that as well! (Watching most of their games, the fumbling problem seemed to come in spells, or at critical times during the game he would either fumble or drop a perfectly catchable ball, and it seemed to happen quite frequently. As far as his return averages, from what I saw that was special teams as a whole and not TG “losing a step” or “not using his blockers properly”, which is what was being said by the Carolina faithful. IMHO TG is going to be a big upgrade for our return game, he always seemed to make at least a little something out of nothing, because the other 10 players that were supposed to be opening lanes for him were NOT doing their jobs very well at all from what I saw. I think if the Cardinals put him and the rookie back on kickoffs, they will be a threat to take it to the house everytime!

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2014 | Reply

Br —

RE: Access

I do have more access. That doesn’t necessarily mean I know everything.

12. By br in nc on Aug 8, 2014 | Reply

Don’t be so humble, you do know almost everything (nobody knows everything, although some people think they do, especially on sports boards, they all seem to know it all, that’s a major reason I enjoy “rambling” on this board, there doesn’t seem to be any Mr know it all’s on here, we all have stood in line at the all you can eat crow buffet!! In all honesty I have stopped reading other Cardinal websites or local (as in local to you guys out there in AZ) Newspapers or blogs, except yours! The only other site I will read concerning Cardinal news and perspective is ESPN, and that is it for Cardinal info on a daily basis. Keep up the awesome work, hopefully soon you will have increased visitors as I’am working hard out here on the east coast to get your name and the website out to all the few and far between Cardinal fans that live out this way!!

13. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 8, 2014 | Reply

br in nc

I have not been out to the practices this year. Been a little busy with work and kids sports (my daughter’s play club softball).

But watching the clips Darren (or whoever) puts up on this site, is where I have been basing my opinions. That is why I am a little cautious when talking about guys (like saying “seems” or “from what I can see” , or “it is just 3 plays, but” ).

Of course, I could be looking at the 3 good plays someone does and they are horrible the rest of the time.

So with that being said, Ginn has flashed on every video that shows Palmer putting up passes (along with Jaron Brown). Fumbling? Drops? I have no idea.

14. By br in nc on Aug 9, 2014 | Reply

Cool, I misunderstood your posts and took it as you had attended some of the practices, sorry. Ginn hopefully left his fumbling/dropsie problem (especially during key times in the game) right here in North Carolina!!!