Floyd, Ginn sit out Texans game

Posted by Darren Urban on August 9, 2014 – 4:22 pm

Earlier in the week, Bruce Arians said he expected all but center Lyle Sendlein (and the PUP guys) to be available tonight against the Texans in the preseason opener. Turns out it wasn’t quite the case. Wide receivers Michael Floyd (groin) and Ted Ginn (knee) ended up scratches for the game for what I can only expect are minor issues. Sendlein’s bad calf will keep him out, and obviously LB John Abraham (still awaiting to have him show at camp) and PUPers Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta’amu are out.

I don’t think Larry Fitzgerald will play a ton either. I do expect to see a lot of John Brown, Jaron Brown, Walt Powell and Brittan Golden.

The Texans did not announce the players they are not expecting to dress tonight.

Tags: , , ,

16 Responses to “Floyd, Ginn sit out Texans game”

1. By Andy Kw on Aug 9, 2014 | Reply

Good thinking. We don’t want our star players to get hurt. It’s fair to say that because they are sitting some of their best players (Foster, A. Johnson), we sit some of our best players as well. Can’t wait to see the Cardinals in action!!!!!!
    -And for our former TE Jim Dray, I hope he shreds the Detroit Lion defense :D

2. By rod on Aug 9, 2014 | Reply

Groin injury, that’s just great. Floyd potentially could be out for months.

3. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2014 | Reply

Rod —

RE: Floyd groin

Or he could be back at practice Monday. I wouldn’t fret.

4. By br in nc on Aug 9, 2014 | Reply

Have to say seeing a lot of Brown1 & Brown2, along with Powell and Golden is a good thing(at least in this case) its preseason, they are fighting it out for depth and in some cases a roster spot, Cards already know what they have in Fitz, Floyd, and to some degree, Ginn (he is a veteran, and they wouldn’t of paid him all that money if the didn’t know what type of player they were getting) its not like they have been forced to play due to major injuries, both Ginn and Floyd are minor, and probably more of a precaution. The only thing Ginn is missing is reps in game situations to hone his timing with Palmer.

5. By br in nc on Aug 9, 2014 | Reply

Have a request (Plea!!) for any/all of our local posters out their in the great state of AZ. After the game could you fellow fanatics posts some info (good or bad) on your observations that you saw in the game, especially key position battles, as well as rookie performances, Gaston. has really piqued my interest (the positive quotes from BA, as well as posters on here that have good first impressions of his play in camp) All of us “non locals” are in the dark and it would be greatly appreciated. I’m sure this board lights up after all games anyway, but since I didn’t find this board until late December, I don’t really have a clue as to the extent of the postings. Ie…Good game Cards (general Congrats) or as I tend to believe what will happen willbe much more of what happened prior to and during the draft, where there will be an overload of opinions, game/player breakdown, and valued, knowledgeable opinions, I have complete faith that you all will be our eyes and ears!!! Thanks a million!!
    PS…I both love and hate this time of year, Arizona Cardinal football is back!!! BUT (and there is always a “but”) unless you live local you are left in the dark during preseason, ie…no TV or radio coverage!! Unless you are a computer genius (which I’am NOT!! Pretty much a computer idiot) Basically it is torture for this east coast Cardinal fan!!!
    Here’s to a solid preseason game #1 performance, and to hopefully some questions starting to have answers for the Cards!!

6. By br in nc on Aug 9, 2014 | Reply

ESPN showing 20-0 Cardinals!!! Anyone know if it is all offensive scoring or is the defense getting into that act??

7. By krehbieo14 on Aug 9, 2014 | Reply

They are getting it done on both sides of the ball. Logan Thomas has looked very sharp, John Brown and Jaron Brown were unstoppable. Great opener! IMO, running game needs some work.

8. By Andy Kw on Aug 9, 2014 | Reply

Watched the entire game. Amazing job by every player. Jonathan Cooper had a slow start but had a solid finish. Good job Cooper.

9. By Timmy on Aug 9, 2014 | Reply

@br in nc It’s all offense. Both sides are playing really good though!

10. By Dr. G. on Aug 9, 2014 | Reply

br in nc – – A quick note for your Logan #6…. He was fantastic for most of 2 quarters:: 9 of 10 completions / about 120 yds…a sneak for a 1st down. He looked composed and his accuracy was phenomenal when compared to the bad rap he has gotten. I hope his detractors can start cheering for this guy…he showed tremendous potential//kenetic ability. If he continues on this path, he may be ready by at least 2015… Thanks to Tom Moore and BA for their efforts here…

Our team look splenderferous…in all phases…

I was in Las Vegas to play the WSOP recently and saw the over/under at 7.5 for the Cards. That means they had them winning less that 8 games… What a joke…be well…..

11. By Joseph on Aug 9, 2014 | Reply

@ br in nc,
    All offense for most of the the game. Late Game safety for final score of 32-0. All the QB throw Td passes. No ints for any card QB either. Texans didn’t fair as well.

12. By Dr. G. on Aug 9, 2014 | Reply

Darren – – I will be looking forward to your assessment of this opener. I am not usually enamored with pre-season, but this must be the most complete practice game I have ever seen, not just because of the win.

Do you think Moore and BA have been working tirelessly with Logan to ensure that their pick will not fail at any time? With all the detractors, I thought I was watching a different QB last Wednesday at the stadium and again today…

With the reasonable stats, one cannot point to mere luck here… I think he made the coaches and staff proud of their choice. They could have gotten Manziel at 22 if I remember correctly. Don’t want the drama… An important observation for me was how Logan handled going to the side line afterward…no big celebration…look at me…he appeared serene and confident… He will not be Hollywooding…a sign of what a good leader should be much of the time…

13. By br in nc on Aug 10, 2014 | Reply

A huge Thank You to all who responded and shed some much needed light to a rather “”dark” dilemma here on the east coast!! Sounds like all aspects were very solid, also sounds like the Texans have some work to do. Thanks again for taking the time on a Saturday latenight to post details!!

Special thanks to Dr G just for using the word “SPLENDERFEROUS” (I’m guessing that’s a word! LOL!!
    As well, I would have never taken you for a professional poker player, Dr G! I’m pretty good at giving my money away in poker! :)

Special thanks to Darren, burning the midnight oil and posting a brief, but extremely thorough recap! Wish I could say as much in so few words, I would have been “rambling” for at least 8 more paragraphs, and wouldn’t have been half as detailed as Darren!!

14. By jwoodaz on Aug 10, 2014 | Reply

To be in our locker room in February! Well done Gentlemen…Only 21 more..

15. By br in nc on Aug 10, 2014 | Reply

L o o o o o o o gan!!!!!!!!!
    See, see, see what I have been telling all who would listen, Logan Thomas is afirst ballot HOF’er!!!!!!!!
    Ok, Ok, Ok…cool your jets fellas, obviously a joke, my attempt at humor!! :) LOL, lmao, Bahamas (and all that other neat stuff your supposed to do in response to a joke) But it is a start, they are not re-inventing the wheel here, Logan is a damn good solid QB, he is a completely different type of QB than any on our roster, but like I have been preaching since early January, his so called accuracy problems and consistency issues had a lot to do with his surrounding cast at the skill positions that he had at VA Tech, he didn’t have a WR that could catch so much as a cold!! He had t carry that offense, but BA saw it and SK as well as others saw the talent and potential, obviously he is no where near a “finished product” and he is going to have bad days, he will undoubtedly fail, or make mistakes, but it will only make him better, and he only has a few minor glitches that need some attention, most of the coaching will be the mental aspect, ie…stay in the pocket let the play develop, and, you don’t have to carry the offense, only have to manage it, once all the mental aspects click, look out NFL, because he has all the natural physical talent in the world (I call him an “athfreak”), he just needs to come along slowly with Palmer as his mentor he should be just fine in this league and in Arizona for many years to come. Could he fail, and be a complete flop? Of course, anyone in the NFL can fail, flop, whatever you close to call it, you just never can tell. He has a lot of work ahead, but I am going to reserve judgement for 5-6 seasons (usually I would use 3-4 years for draft success or failure report card time, but with L. Thomas sitting for probably the next 2 years behind CP, he gets a couple yes before you can honestly put a grade on him)
    I like what little I have been able to find, but so far it is very promising. Trying to locate any articles on our run game and how the RB’s did, I believe RB, and believe it or not OL, are stop big? ????? to be answered hopefully before the real season starts!!! (Of course both positions have been concerning to many, for a very long time, hopefully we can turn the ct torner, and fix both, improvements have been made, and Cards are trying to fix both areas, I believe the OL is closer to where the “powers to be” want them to be, but the RB position really needs work, improvement over years past? I say yes, but very small steps forward. Improvement from last year? Really, honestly think it is to early to know the answer to that, but IMHO, I would have to say no, we have 1 RBwho has proven he is a dangerous weapon, God forbid he has an injury that puts him out for awhile, unproven behind him, what do you all think, should RB position be a concern??
    Thanks for listening/reading on a Sunday morning, after the 1st preseason game (where the tension ha been building since, the final snap of last year!!

16. By jeffrey deyoung on Aug 10, 2014 | Reply

Bruce gaston should of been drafted. He was a 4 year starter for purdue he seems to play better when around better players. He is fast and can play sideline to sideline. He will be a beast…