Keim: Abraham, coming soon, will contribute

Posted by Darren Urban on August 13, 2014 – 4:49 pm

General Manager Steve Keim said this afternoon he expects absent linebacker John Abraham “in the very near future.” Asked if that was next week, Keim said “sooner than next week.”

And when Abraham does arrive, Keim sounded like a man who has no doubt that his veteran will play a role in the 2014 defense.

“It’s the same thing as a guy who is injured,” Keim said. “He has to work his way into playing shape and a guy coming off 11½ sacks at 35 years old, you’d like to think he’s still going to be able to contribute,” Keim said. “He just has to get his legs back under him.”

Keim declined to say specifically why the 36-year-old Abraham, who had been arrested for a DUI in Georgia in late June, has been missing. The Cardinals had already made clear Abraham has been excused to deal with a personal matter.

“It’s always a concern when there are off-field issues to deal with,” Keim acknowledged. “At the same time I think it’s given him an opportunity to step back and look at the situation and realize if he wants to continue playing football he has to get his life in order.”

AbepicBLOG

Tags: ,

26 Responses to “Keim: Abraham, coming soon, will contribute”

1. By Scott on Aug 13, 2014 | Reply

Switching topics, I so wanted the CARDINALS to get Bruce Ellington in the draft and when we got John Brown I was going what are we thinking! I know he still hasn’t established himself but so far I love the masterminds behind the choice. GO CARDINALS, no not the cardinals, I mean the CARDINALS!!!!! Superbowl here we come!!!

2. By Scott H on Aug 13, 2014 | Reply

Well, sooner than next week gives him about…..oh, the next 3 days or so.

Tick, tick, tick….

3. By krehbieo14 on Aug 13, 2014 | Reply

I’m thinking that Abraham has probably been spending time in an outpatient treatment program for substance abuse. If this is true, it points to the reason why Arians has given his blessing. I wish the best for John in his personal and professional life.

4. By CreditCard on Aug 13, 2014 | Reply

Switching topics, I thought Troy Niklas was outstanding in blocking DEs, good foot movement, good pop in his blocking, arms extended, either neutralized or pushed back the DE. Awesome.

5. By CreditCard on Aug 13, 2014 | Reply

Another switched topic. Keim will only say positives about Cooper. If Cooper can’t cut it, the Cardinal brass will try to get something out of him, another pick, another player etc… Saying that Cooper is getting physically over-matched, that he is slow, poor foot movement — only will diminish any market return.

I hope I’m wrong, but he is not looking like starting material.

6. By Dr. G. on Aug 13, 2014 | Reply

Dear BA – There is a lesson here by Mr. Keim – to wit:: “Keim declined to say specifically…etc…”

This is the proper way to handle keeping your players on your side concerning personal issues and things out of their control….on or off the field…. later…

7. By Darren Urban on Aug 13, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G –

RE: Arians

When has Arians said something about personal issues?

8. By Big Ken on Aug 13, 2014 | Reply

Referring back to a previously switched topic, maybe it’s time we kicked the tires on Richie Incognito.

9. By Braedon on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

He even held up against Calais, which I thought was really impressive!

10. By Andy Kw on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

I see what Steve Keim and Bruce Arians are doing with Ryan Lindley. We all know Logan Thomas is going to make the roster no matter how well Ryan Lindley performs. If Ryan Lindley performs really well in the preseason, I have a feeling Steve Keim will consider trading him to another team to get a 2015 NFL Draft pick in return, at most a 6th Round Pick. Lindley is by far a better quarterback then he ever was in his rookie season.
    In Ryan Lindley’s rookie season:
    -He had a tendency to under throw many passes.
    -He had fumble issues.
    -He also had a high turnover rate, throwing many interceptions.
    -It was already clear in his rookie preseason (48/92 538yds 1TD 3INT) and regular season (89/171 752yds 7INT) that he was a work in progress.

But now if you watch last year’s preseason game and training camps, he has made a lot of improvement and strides with his powerful arm and reads:
    -27/46 370yds 2TDs are last year’s preseason stats.
    -He is much more comfortable in the pocket and is actually living up to his 3rd Round Projection which many people thought he was capable of but dropped to 6th Round for us in 2012.
    -He is able to move the ball with poise in the training camp and he has displayed a lot of consistency & confidence for the past two season. I believe you will see a Starting Pro Bowl Caliber QB in Lindley vs The Minnesota Vikings although it is against 2nd and 3rd String players.

I would hate to see a high potential player get cut so I believe we can get some nice value out of him. Trade him to Ken Whisenhunt of the Tennessee Titans or Mike McCoy the San Diego Chargers.

11. By Kaleb on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

Going off topic as well, Glad to hear Abe is back but….

I recently watched the video that bleacher report did on the AZ Cardinals, their annual rendition of preseason predictions. Matt Miller was the lead on the video and since the beginning of bleacher report’s existence, he has bashed the cardinals. He power ranked the cardinals at 16 after the Texans game. Then predicted a 7-9 year for us, stating that the loss of two ILB would destroy the defense. I honestly think he has no idea how the cardinals defense is schemed. He is lazy, so he looked at the numbers for Dansby and Washington and decided we cannot survive without them. Almost as if those two positions will not be occupied by anyone now. It is my understanding that the DL really provides the opportunity for the ILB’s to fire gaps and stuff runs (not to take anything from DWash and Dansby), which Foote and Minter should be capable of. He also fails to mention positions where we improved such as; CB, S, OL and TE. He briefly mentions the WR improvements, ok thanks, that position was elite already. Then he talks about competing with the rams as if they have been a threat in the last few years. The rams play hard, and its never an easy win, but we have outperformed them throughout the course of the season almost every year since 2007. Yet every year these guys praise the rams. I guess I just don’t get it. It would be nice to see us fire back at these guys. I know we have always liked to play the “under the radar” game but I’m ready for the cardinals to be a respected franchise. BA has confidence and our players have confidence. I like PP getting into it with Sherman, and how Dockett plays devils advocate to everything, and Mathieu gets involved with CB debates. It’s making us relevant, and that’s always a good thing to be. I’m excited about this year and I have always been a fan of your coverage of the team. Your diligent work reflects in your articles, us fans really appreciate it. Maybe wolf or someone on the radio could call these guys out. I don’t know, just thinking here.

Also
    CreditCard,

Outside of one missed block against JJ Watt, what indication do you have that Cooper is not starting material?

12. By Andy Kw on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Remember when Levi Brown was cut and resigned due to the cap space two seasons ago, Is it possible for Larry Fitzgerald to be cut after this season and be resigned to a cap friendly contract, with the assumption that he wants to return?

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

Andy Kw –

RE: Fitz cut/re-signed

Certainly that is possible. My guess is if it comes down to Fitz being released, he will move on. If he is going to stay, I think they work out the contract situation without having him hit the open market.

14. By br in nc on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

I was thinking the same, and hopefully that is the reason, get his life in order, the drinking under control, and just have fun again on the football field, I’m a firm believer that you have to enjoy, and have fun at your chosen profession, if you do, you are much more productive.

15. By Big Ken on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

This will be an interesting year for Fitz. Can he still put up great numbers? He definitely has the best surrounding cast he’s ever had and maybe will ever have.

16. By br in nc on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

AndyKw,
    Only problem with trying to trade Lindley, as you say yourself in your post, “we all know that Thomas is going to make the roster, no matter how well Lindley performs”…
    All other teams, especially teams searching for a QB know that as well, so why would they trade for him when they can grab him when/if he is cut. Slim chance there might be a team zeroing in on him as a third string QB, but I would guess that is very slim, most will be looking at more than 1 QB on cut down days, and will bring them in for workouts, and the best man wins, until the next cut day, then they may do it all again with different QB’s. IMHO, most teams prefer to draft, and develop the 3rd string QB to fit their system, and manage that system in an emergency. Most #3 QB’s are not going to. “wow” anyone overnight, especially QB’s that have been in some other teams system for 2-3 years. I would love to get a pick for Ryan (actually think he would be a solid #2 for a few teams, but I just can’t see a team giving up a pick when they don’t have to, they can hold onto the pick, sign a #3 emergency QB for this year, and use that pick next year to draft a project QB that they want and they think fits their system the best.)

17. By Hammy on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

Has there been any news on whether John Abraham will be suspended or not for his DUI arrest? Or will the commissioner let the Cardinals hand out discipline for his conduct?

18. By Darren Urban on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

Hammy –

RE: Abraham discipline

He hasn’t even gone through the court system yet on that. I would be surprised if it got to the NFL desk before the season ends.

19. By Dr. G. on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren – To answer your question: “When has Arians said something about personal issues?” Please reference your post 8/12 “Arians under ice.”

In a post game blog, you mentioned that Cooper indicated that nerves were running high. Presumably, the reason – because he is on the hot seat to perform in light of his high expectations. It is not necessary to explain that. The pressure is coming from Arians and staff. S O P in the NFL… That is OK.

All that is necessary to say to the various media is that if a player cannot perform, the next man up concept comes into focus.

When Coach went “Wally Pipp” tying it to any injured player, he probably did not realize that he was also indicating that some injured players may be doggin’ it. Pipp came in with a headache one day and agreed to take it easy when he could have played. The Pipp story has become a comparative metaphor for doggin’ it. That is the point. It becomes “personal” when the work ethic and character of our tremendous injured young men are questioned. I give Arians another mulligan on this one for perhaps not knowing the details. He thought it sounded cool.

All season, all I read from you is how hard the injured players are digging in to get to playing shape, boring and tedious as it can be. None of those men would like to hear that they may be doggin ‘ it… The seedlings of disrespect can begin with teasing and an effort to be witty…. Thanks for your time….

20. By Darren Urban on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G –

RE: Personal issues

I’m not sure how saying stuff about Wally Pipp isn’t about football. You take it how you take it. But if a guy isn’t playing well enough, it doesn’t matter if they are dogging it or not good enough. In fact, I’d argue that it’s better if a coach thinks you are dogging it if you aren’t playing well, because otherwise, he just thinks you aren’t talented enough to do the job.

21. By Dr. G. on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

Darren – Totally agree with your last comment, but injured players was also part of the the issue, not someone who was just not good enough or doggin’ it…. A dinged-up player may be able to play… I think Coach feels some injured players are in this category… Be well…

22. By Scott H on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

Big Ken -

Oh, man, I have to disagree with you on your opinion that Fitz has the best surrounding cast he’s EVER had. As mush as I DO like his current surrounding cast, can we take a look at what you are saying? Can we start at QB? You are going to tell me that Carson Palmer in 2014 is better than Kurt Warner was in 2008-2009??? Good God, man, it isn’t even close. As much as I like Palmer and am glad he is here right now, he couldn’t match Kurt Warner on his BEST day ever. HIS BEST DAY EVER. What Warner did at the end of his career here with the Cardinals is going to put him in the Hall of Fame. Palmer does not enter that discussion.

And as much as I like Michael Floyd and the upward track he is on….please. Give me Anquan Boldin in his prime any day. ANY DAY. Years from now, I bet I would still say the same.

And as a third WR, give me Steve Breaston over Ted Ginn. May not be a landslide but I’ll still take Breaston ( until proven wrong ).

RB’s? Based on a very limited view of Ellington so far and how un-proven everyone else on the roster is right now, how do you say it’s better than Timmy Hightower ( who had a couple of pretty productive all purpose seasons here ) and the Edge ( who, if nothing else, was definitely a factor during the 2008 playoff run)?

O-line? Jury is out. Honestly, you would think the current O-line is capable of being MUCH better than previous O-lines have been. But that has yet to actually materialize.

TE’s? My lord, how do even sort that out??? That position has been so under-utilized for so many years…is it even a factor in this discussion??? I sure hope it IS better now than it was in the past. Got nowhere to go but up, that is for damn sure.

But I will take the 2008-2009 Cardinals offense over the present one. And I will NOT be sad if I am proven wrong because if the current offense is THAT good OR better? This is a SB team, no doubt.

If nothing else, it is a fun topic for debate.

23. By Big Ken on Aug 15, 2014 | Reply

@ Scott H I guess time will tell about the whole team. I think Fitz is a goner after this season. The team has so many good WR’s it’s going to lessen the sticker shock of the Fitzgerald cap casualty.

24. By Kaleb on Aug 15, 2014 | Reply

Scott H

I am going to have to counter-disagree with your argument about Fitzy’s “surrounding cast” (as if the team revolves around him). I honestly think big Ken was referring to the cast of receivers but for fun let’s dive into the entire offense. Kurt warner aside, our entire offense is MUCH better than the 2008 version. The difference is Fitz, Boldin and Warner made the offense before. Now we have a balanced offense. Floyd might prove to actually be better than boldin this year. The combination of John Brown and Ted Gin Jr. is slightly better than steve breaston. The O-line on paper is much better. The TE position is cloudy but one thing we can say for sure is we have better depth this year than those years. As far as RB goes, I would take Ellington over any combination of guys we had back then, may sound crazy now but just wait. Carson Palmer does not get the credit he deserves, that guy has been put behind some of the worst O-lines in the league with limited weapons and still pushed solid numbers. Let’s not forget Kurt Warner had his fair share of interceptions throughout his career. Call me crazy, but I really believe in these next 2-3 years Carson can build a HOF resume. I am feeling home field advantage for the super bowl. I called it in 2008 before the season started. Have not since. I’m doing it now. All we have to do is make the playoffs, then we have proved we can beat anyone. Rise up Red Sea.

25. By Scott H on Aug 15, 2014 | Reply

Kaleb -

OK. We do, indeed, disagree. Again, it’s a fun debate. IMHO, I think the 2008 offense was adequately balanced – adequately balanced according to where its strengths were. And, really, with the way Warner was playing at that time, why were they going to run the ball any more than they did??? There was no reason to. The disparity in the caliber between Warner and Palmer MAKES it more necessary that THIS team be more balanced. AND if this O-line is as good as we hope it will be, that also lends itself to a more balanced attack.

I really am not sure exactly what credit it is that Palmer is not been getting. At the moment, I am wondering…has he ever won a playoff game??? for me, Palmer is kind of where Warner was at a certain point after he lost his job to Bulger, then lost his job to Manning, then struggled initially with the Cardinals. Then…he just found it again. And the Cardinals benefitted tremendously from that! Who knows? Maybe Palmer will “find it” as well , late in his career, with the Cardinals, and the Cardinals will benefit tremendously once again. Here’s to catching lightning in a bottle one more time!

I hope Michael Floyd WILL be better than Boldin this year. Why would I NOT hope for that??? But I will not buy that until I see it. Anquan Boldin was an impact player IMMEDIATELY, from the day he was drafted. And the impact he had on this team cannot be understated. AND until Warner found himself again, what QB’s did he have to deal with??? Michael Floyd’s first season was pretty forgettable, let’s be honest. He came on VERY strong last year. He could be a beast. Right now? Sorry, I take the 2008 version of Anquan Boldin.

2. Aug 14, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | Cards sign LB Bishop