Cards sign LB Bishop

Posted by Darren Urban on August 14, 2014 – 8:27 am

The Cardinals have filled one of their three empty roster spots, and as Bruce Arians promised, it’s with someone the team hopes can be more than just a camp body. Veteran inside linebacker Desmond Bishop arrived Thursday with a couple of weeks to try and make enough of an impression to stick around.

Bishop was drafted by the Packers in 2007 and won a Super Bowl while in Green Bay in 2010. But his time with the Packers ended after he missed the entire 2012 season following a preseason hamstring injury that needed surgery. He signed a one-year contract with the Vikings last season, but in the fourth game he played for Minnesota he tore his ACL, ending his season. In his last full season, Bishop had more than 100 tackles and five sacks.

So, with that background of very few football games played in two years, Bishop comes to Arizona. After cutting inside linebacker Ernie Sims, the Cardinals could use more numbers inside, especially with starter Kevin Minter nursing an injured pectoral muscle. The top four inside linebackers have been Minter, Larry Foote, Lorenzo Alexander and Kenny Demens. That’s the group Bishop probably needs to crack to stick around.

It’ll be the second linebacker the Cards get today, since John Abraham is expected to arrive after missing camp thus far for personal reasons.

Desmond Bishop, Frank Gore

Tags: , , , , , , ,

31 Responses to “Cards sign LB Bishop”

1. By BigAl on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

This is a good selection if he is healthy & in shape! He’s not gonna beat out our
    top four but he could be #5… & being how thin we are @ ILB he might be worth keeping!

2. By Andy Kw on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

What in the world? I thought we were loaded on LB. I guess he could stick as an ILB as you say but he better pick up the position and system quickly.

3. By Andy Kw on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

But yeah, I think we just got better with this signing. If he can get back to his 2010 form, he could be a little lesser version of the big playmaker on the field Daryl Washington.

4. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

Marcus Benard and Adrian Tracy sure look like they could play ILB. Lorenzo is the one who looked out of position in game one. Wonder if either have gotten a look in there?

5. By br in nc on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

Looks to be more than a camp body, but he is getting a late start (hopefully he has been expecting this and has kept himself in good shape). My take on Desmond Bishop, (yes, I’m sure you all knew I would put my opinion out there! LOL!) Has been injured most of the last 2 seasons, ACL tear early part of last season, At his age its a pretty good bet he loses a step or two, which isn’t a good thing for Bishop, he never has been solid in pass coverage (he is more of a Minter type). What he is good at, in fact very, very good is blitzing from the ILB position, I’m not 100% sure but I think both GB & MN ran the 4-3 defense, he played MLB, since I have never claimed to be a x’s & o’s type can someone enlighten me on what effect it may have on Bishop’s blitzing playing one of the ILB spots as opposed to MLB?? He finished very high in sacks one of those years (like top 5, possibly top 3, for ILB’s QB sack totals!) IMHO he has always been excellent against the run, and when he hits the ball carrier he will remember it. (he loves to lay the wood!!) He is an outstanding tackler, doesn’t miss much, but does need to improve in pass coverage, and probably not the answer when it comes to covering those pesky TE’s. (Especially the NFC BEST (oops…West) TE’s) But I think he could be a huge asset working with JA, and CC rushing the passer, and sacking the QB, as well as TFL’s. If he can make the final cut they will form a terrific trio and compliment one another well, should increase our sack total, not only by the # of sacks he gets, but taking the heat off of JA & CC which in turn should increase their sack totals! (I usually stay away from individual #’s predictions, but I’m going out on a limb and will say Bishop gets 6 QB sacks!! If he can stay healthy of course.) And finally, you know that SK signed him “low risk, high reward”, probably one of his famous 1 year “prove it” contracts that he is so famous for, and so good at. For sure he is worth a look.
    JTDG – Do you have any of your world famous numbers/stats on him that would give all here a different look at what to expect from him, I for one absolutely love when you take us to #’s school, it truly gives me a totally different prospective on a player!!

6. By Big Ken on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

Solid depth signing, I like it.

7. By br in nc on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

I don’t know Big Al, if he returns to form after these injuries he could have a key role, I put my little opinion below, but real quick, he has been outstanding in the run, as well, outstanding as a Inside Blitzer!! Could provide much needed pressure/sacks.

8. By br in nc on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

I guess If I would read your article in-depth, rather than just reading the headline, I wouldn’t have to guess on when his injury’s occurred, or how many sacks he had, and of course I wouldn’t look so foolish!! From now on I’am going to read, in detail, you’re articles first, then post! You had everything in your piece that I was racking my brain trying to remember! Thanks for the detailed articles, keep them coming!
    Any whispers/rumors of any other possible signings/visits?

9. By Brad on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

How serious is Minter’s pectoral muscle injury? Have they given a timeline on it?

10. By Cactus jeff on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

Translation – Minter will not hold up. Torn pec muscle might become a trend. In addition, they want length in the the back 7. He doesn’t fit the description, short and lacking long arms. I haven’t lost all hope. He flashed game speed so he might be a NFL player, but with today’s analytics sure was a risk to draft him in second round with that stature.

11. By Barry Bond on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

I don’t care who we sign as long as they are good enough to beat the 49ers! I am getting tired of 49er fans and company always bragging we can’t beat them! According to the BS Cardinals have won just one game out of 12 with San Francisco, John Skelton was that winning quarterback, really???

12. By Darren Urban on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

br —

RE: Signings rumors

Not right now.

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

Brad —

RE: Minter

I doubt he plays this weekend but it is not considered serious.

14. By Dynosoar on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

Barry, Bonds,

Sorry, here’s the accurate information.

We’re winning 37.8% of our games with San Fran (Since becoming the “Arizona” Cardinals)

45 games in the Cardinals history with the 49ers. First game in Nov. 1951 and we were still the Chicago Cardinals.

Chicago vs. SF = 2-0
    St. Louis vs. SF = 5-8
    Phoenix vs. SF = 2-2
    Arizona vs. SF = 8-18 (3-9 in last 12)

We definitely need to change this around.We’re only 11 games behind in the series. We could make up 3 of those this season. Haha! My optimism is showing.

15. By Dynosoar on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

Man, I need a nap.

Barry Bond.

16. By jason on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

Cactus Jeff-

Here is something that might make you feel better. We traded our second round pick in that draft to San Diego for thier second (which was used for Minter) and a fourth round pick; we then turned around and traded that fourth round pick to the Giants for thier fourth round pick (which was used to pick Watford) and a sixth round pick that we used on Andre Ellington.

Some debate can be made about the Minter pick but I think that is important to remember that he was considered the best run stopping ILB in that draft and was even projected to go in the late first early second round. We already had our three down linebacker in Washington and an imporved pass defense that was ranked 5th, however we struggled against the run with the 28th ranked rush defense. Minter was a logical pick as a stout run defending ILB next to Washington.

If you’re a fan of the pick or not shouldn’t we at least let this kid play through his first preseason/season as a starter before we decide what he can/can’t do?

17. By Cactus jeff on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

Jason
    Good information, Ellington was a great pick. In regards to waiting on the player, watching him play 4 more games will not make his arms longer. Did Cardinal fans need to watch Max Hall or Rex Hadwon’t play more than one game to realize they weren’t NFL talent? Obviously Minter has a better chance than those 2, he played fast in game 1, but he might not be long enough to play in ILB.

18. By jason on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

Cactus Jeff-

He’s the same size as Navarro Bowman who has been ok. They even had similar 40’s, broad jump and vertical leaps. I think that people are reading too much into what Minter can’t do based on speculation. You have nothing to support your claim that he “might not be long enough to play ILB” while I have the fact he was an All American in college playing for a prestigious school in one of the top conference, he was scouted and given a high draft grade pretty unanimously across the board and he has performed in every opportunity that he has been given at the NFL level. That is why I’m saying we need a better look at him before saying what he is or what he is capable of being. The funny part is that Minter isn’t even THAT small. There are ILB’s who were smaller than him who all proved that size isn’t everything such as Zack Thomas, Sam Mills and London Fletcher.

19. By krehbieo14 on Aug 14, 2014 | Reply

I don’t think they brought in Desmond Bishop to be a camp body! They’ve had their eye on him for some time and hope that he will make an immediate impact. I hope Keim is right. It will give us more depth.

20. By MartinK on Aug 15, 2014 | Reply

Bishop is a great player who has proven doubters wrong in the past. If you watched the Pac10 in 2006 you probably wondered why the Cardinals or any other team did not pick him before the sixth round. We ended up picking Buster Davis in the third round! If he has in fact overcome his injuries he will be a great addition.

21. By j on Aug 15, 2014 | Reply

Minter was sure long when deflecting that pass in pre#1, turned into a interception. Do that game day and put the critics to sleep…

22. By Cactus jeff on Aug 15, 2014 | Reply

Jason
    Analytics is multivariate and a key variable is arm length. Keim said prior to this years draft, the defense needs to get longer, not taller, longer.
    Fact: Bowman’s arm length top 13%
    Fact: Minter’s arm length bottom 24%

23. By BigAl on Aug 15, 2014 | Reply

By jason
    Jason, fabulous take on Minter draft selection & how the Keim Brain Trust maneuvered these last two drafts! These are things we rarely saw in the past! Not
    since like 2003 when we traded our early 1st Rnd pick down & got two later 1st Rnd picks & selected Bryant Johnson @ 17 & Calvin Pace @ 18! Who is still playing in this league…along w/2nd Rnd pick Anquan Boldin @ 54! Those two draft years 2003 & 2004 changed this franchise & brought it into this millennium!
    Look them up!

And Jason if you don’t mind? I’ll just add a guy to your four too short/too small ILB
    group OK? A HOFer as well, was considered too small by the ‘Cactus Jeff’s” of the world! How about one Mike Singletary who was only 6’0″ 230lbs coming out of college! Think he did pretty well too! ah?

Cactus Jeff, must live in a perfect World!

24. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 15, 2014 | Reply

Well said jason and j regarding Minter.

br in nc

Here is an excellent scouting report on Bishop. The author breaks down his pass coverage, run defense and blitzing. It has plenty of video and is pretty long, so make sure you have a few minutes.

Here is a sneak preview of some of those numbers.
    In 2010 and 2011, Desmond Bishop led the league in tackle opportunities per snap, with a combined TOPS of over 25 percent.

That’s not just of all inside linebackers, that’s of every player.

The average for inside linebackers is just below 19 percent. This means he got to the ballcarrier in the run game more often than any other player in the league, and by a significant margin (nearly 25 percent more often than the average linebacker).

25. By jason on Aug 15, 2014 | Reply

Cactus Jeff-

Fact: Kevin Minter’s arm length is 32″
    Fact: Navarro Bowman’s arm length is 33″
    Fact: Keim drafted Minter…pretty sure he is ok with Minter’s measurements.

The All Pro ILB’s last season were Bowman 33″, Kuechly (who was the DPOY) 31″, Vontaze Burfict 31″ and Dansby 33″. One more notable player is Patrick Willis who many call the prototypical ILB doesn’t crack 33 inches.

I think Kevin Minter’s stature may make you think he is smaller than he is because he is built like a bowling ball, but he has the measurable’s to match up with the other ILB’s in this league.

Finally, I think if you research that longer defense quote Keim was speaking specifically about the safety and defensive line positions…I’m not 100% on that.

26. By Cactus jeff on Aug 15, 2014 | Reply

Jason
    Good stuff. I’m just saying it’s a blend of height/reach/wingspan. They are not the same. Analytics can make some great predictions based on all 3 measures (not just height). Jevon Keatse JJ watt. Aldon smith and pretty much every hall of fame LT were extremely long. It gives them a huge advantage. And players who are not long have a disadvantage that sometimes can’t be over come.

I am not all negative I just don’t follow conventional wisdom. For example,
    Best QB in NFC west. Carson Palmer
    2 most dominate players to scheme for in NFC west. DD and CC
    Best offense in NFC west. Cardinals
    Cards match up great against Seachickens and will beat them in Seattle, again, take that to Vegas
    Go Cards!!!!!

27. By br in nc on Aug 15, 2014 | Reply

Cactus Jeff,
    Obviously Jason, BigAl, and J have given plenty of examples of “undersized” players did, and still do just fine! I think the NFL puts to much emphasis on “measurables”, perfect example, heard a lot of talk of Honey Badger being to small to be effective in the NFL, I think so far he has been just fine, one other name that didn’t do to shabby, Dat Nguyen, was considered not only to small, but to slow as well, he made the all rookie team, led the Cowboys in tackles, even made the pro bowl one year. I will give you that injuries shortened his career, but injuries are a big part of the game, and have shortened even the perfect sized athlete! I look at it this way, either the kid can play or he can’t (arm length will not be the deciding factor)
    Since he took 1 regular season snap last year, I believe we wont know for sure if Minter will make it in the NFL until he has at least 1 full season under his belt. Although I don’t believe he will outpost Dansby, ( very few can, especially the season he had last year!!) you have to remember Dansby has, quite a few years of experience on Minter, but I think Minter will do just fine, and for less money!

28. By br in nc on Aug 15, 2014 | Reply

***Outplay not Outpost***

29. By br in nc on Aug 16, 2014 | Reply

John TDG,
    JEEZ, you weren’t kidding, very in depth, packed with stats and #’s!! (Seems the Vikes have a #’s guru as well. I’m not sure how you do it, but keep up the good work, as long as it is broken down Barney style I can deal with it. On the other end of the spectrum an article packed full of to many #’s can be quite boring, and I usually end up more confused than I was prior to reading the #’s articles. Most are boring, as well. The only thing more mundane and boring to me, I once dated a girl who proofread stacks of very detailed reports from the Department of Agriculture! (No joke, and she made pretty good money, for a recent college grad, landing first job out of college!) LOL!!

30. By br in nc on Aug 16, 2014 | Reply

MartinK,
    Buster Davis! Man does that bring up bad memories, he ended up a total flop! All ACC, All American in college and High School as well, but never did squat in the NFL, he was one of those players that, at the time, I thought was cut to early and was convinced some other team would pick him up, and he would develop into a stud perennial pro bowler and come back to haunt the Cardinals! Man was I wrong about Buster, that was one time I didn’t mind “eating crow” because he never amounted to squat! I used to pull for FSU (actually Bobby Bowden, not FSU the school, but the coach) never dreamed that a player that BB coached, and NFL scouts and GM’s considered him NFL material could actually fail that miserably!

31. By jason on Aug 16, 2014 | Reply

Cactus Jeff-

I think it’s understandable to have doubts….Kevin Minter hasn’t done anything in the regular season to prove he is capable of being a player in this league. My argument was that he has yet to prove he can’t, and before people start criticizing him in that way I just feel like he should play some more snaps in the NFL.