Friday before the open-air Vikings

Posted by Darren Urban on August 15, 2014 – 11:22 am

Finally, the Cardinals go outdoors. There is a bit of irony attached that the first time the Cardinals will be outside since training camp started will be a game in Minnesota, since for so many years this game too would have been inside against the Vikings. But the Vikings are playing outside for a couple of years, shacking up as a guest at the University of Minnesota’s TCF Bank Stadium while their new (domed) stadium is constructed.

Regardless, the Cardinals haven’t been outside since minicamp ended in mid-June. Which took quarterback Carson Palmer back a bit when it was mentioned to him earlier this week. “It is (surprising) because I hadn’t thought of that at all,” Palmer said. “Because we do not want to be outdoors right now.”

Tough to argue. You don’t really want to go through outdoor two-hour plus practices when it’s 100-degrees plus and the humidity (at least for around here) starts to spike. The Cardinals had considered one outdoor practice earlier in camp but decided to stay inside. Last year, the Cardinals actually held a training camp practice outside at their Tempe facility. Bruce Arians wanted a tough workout in the heat. He doesn’t see the need this season.

“We don’t have a hot game this year so there is no need to go outside,” Arians said. “We’ve had a pretty physical, hard camp, as hard as we can make it..”

So it’s on to Minnesota, where the forecast for Saturday night is mid-to-low 60s and high humidity.

– We get to see round two of the John Brown experience. What might be more amazing with Brown, even more than his grasp of the offense and his production against veteran cornerbacks in practice, is how much Palmer already seems to trust him.

– Arians, talking about why Brown is so quick (and why it might take the QBs a bit of time to learn timing with him): “A lot of guys have to chop their feet and slow down to cut,” Arians said. “He can run full speed and just change directions. That’s rare.”

– Some have wondered about rookie safety Deone Bucannon and playing the dollar linebacker position in the nickel defense. When Bucannon is in there, that makes six defensive backs on the field. So, defensive coordinator Todd Bowles, doesn’t that make it a dime package?

“It’s still the nickel,” Bowles said. “It’s the position, not the player.”

– The Cardinals’ running game wasn’t very productive in the preseason opener (81 yards on 37 attempts, although that includes three kneeldowns). Arians said he wasn’t and isn’t worried about it. “I don’t put a lot into numbers,” Arians said.

Given that Andre Ellington figures to play little, I’m not sure how dynamic the running game will be in the preseason.

– Darren Fells continues to push for a spot as the fourth tight end. Arians said  Fells continues to block very well. “He still has to get rid of those bonehead plays,” Arians said. “He’s experiencing a lot of new things too many times. I was disappointing he dropped that pass Saturday because he’s got great hands. I think he tried to score before he caught it. He’s steadily improving.”

– No, I don’t think Jay Feely has to be perfect, in the truest sense of the word, even though that is what Arians said. Feely will get his chance to kick Saturday after Chandler Catanzaro’s impressive debut in the controlled conditions of University of Phoenix Stadium. The pressure is on for Feely, yes. But he’s been through this kind of pressure before.

– One more week of training camp left.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to “Friday before the open-air Vikings”

1. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Aug 15, 2014 | Reply

The more I read Arians comments, and player comments about how he conducts “his business”, the more I understand how complete a coach he is. Whiz was good, and learned through his successes and failures here what Arians already knew before he came. Go Cards. Optimistic on Bishop, lets see if he plays tomorrow.

2. By joe holst on Aug 15, 2014 | Reply

Chandler Catanzaro’s kicks were slicing to the left badly after they went through the uprights. I would be careful with him as I think his percentage will drop sharply after 42 yards and out. My choice is Feely al the way.

3. By jwoodaz on Aug 15, 2014 | Reply

Good luck Everyone,
    win big and stay healthy, show the world we are serious

4. By Andy Kw on Aug 15, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I know Ryan Lindley will play the entire second half against the Minnesota Vikings but will Logan Thomas at least play a little before the conclusion of the 2nd Quarter?

5. By luke on Aug 15, 2014 | Reply

Any news on Ted Gin and Floyds injuries?

6. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2014 | Reply

Andy Kw –

RE: Logan Thomas

Thomas is not expected to play this week.

7. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2014 | Reply

Luke –

RE: WR injuries

Nothing new. I would be surprised if they played.

8. By azdesertrat1953 on Aug 15, 2014 | Reply

I just want to see the Offence be as good as it was last Sat. night
    From start to finish they all did a good job and it did not seem to matter who was behind the center.
    Yes they had some bad plays but not like last year with Greenbay, it really has been like Night and Day, so far.

GO CARDS!!!

9. By br in nc on Aug 15, 2014 | Reply

Joe
    I tend to agree with you on Geeky, as Darren pointed out in his piece above, Jay has been through this before, He seems to thrive on competition, remember last year when they brought in a veteran kicker (for the life of me I can’t recall his name, just wasn’t here very long), Geeky was a completely different kicker, and won the roster spot in short order!

10. By br in nc on Aug 15, 2014 | Reply

Wow, autocorrect replaced Feely with Geeky (not going their!!) But he is a kicker!! (Ok, I know I said I wasn’t going their, but just couldn’t resist!!) But seriously, he is in the NFL, no matter the position, you are still one hell of an athlete!

11. By Big Ken on Aug 16, 2014 | Reply

Interesting to me that Thomas isn’t expected to play this week. I realize the hard look at Lindley, but Logan gets a rest. The battle continues.

12. By rod on Aug 16, 2014 | Reply

That groin is going to be an issue, just watch.

I hope I am wrong.

13. By br in nc on Aug 16, 2014 | Reply

Is Niklas still wearing a cast on his wrist/arm? Is he expected to wear it through preseason as a precaution, or extra protection, or will it be removed as soon as doctors say it is healed, so he can get some reps in preseason without it? Please note I had forgotten all about the cast, and if it is long gone, already removed then I do apologize. Thanks.

14. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2014 | Reply

Br –

RE: Niklas

He is still wearing a small cast. It’s mainly for protection. He caught the ball well in practice last week.