Ginn to go; Floyd, Coop sit in Minnesota

Posted by Darren Urban on August 16, 2014 – 4:08 pm

No real surprises on the list of players who aren’t expected to dress for the Cardinals tonight in Minnesota. Linebackers John Abraham and Desmond Bishop did make the trip, but will not play. Wide receiver Ted Ginn is going to try and give it a go after missing time with a bruised knee. Wide receiver Michael Floyd (groin) will sit out. The rest of the Cardinals not playing tonight:

– G Jonathan Cooper (toe)

– C Lyle Sendlein (calf)

– T Nate Potter (back)

– LB Kevin Minter (pectoral)

– DT Bruce Gaston (knee)

– CB Teddy Williams (checking on this one)

The Cardinals return to practice Monday. I’m thinking a handful of these guys will be able to give it a go at some point this week. Also, there is optimism S Tyrann Mathieu and DT Alameda Ta’amu will come off PUP sometime next week.

Tags: , , ,

12 Responses to “Ginn to go; Floyd, Coop sit in Minnesota”

1. By LadyBird04 on Aug 16, 2014 | Reply

I’m looking forward to seeing how Ginn works with Palmer. We have two speedsters and it will be interesting to see how their play time will work out. I won’t get to see the game (not shown here until 2:00 AM) until tomorrow morning but will follow along at NFL.com. :(

Wishing good luck to all the players.

2. By krehbieo14 on Aug 16, 2014 | Reply

Darren-

How significant is Kevin Minter’s injury? Thanks.

3. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2014 | Reply

Kreh –

RE: Minter

Missed all week. Nobody seems concerned.

4. By Andy Kw on Aug 16, 2014 | Reply

Here are my thoughts on the first half of the game:
    -QB Carson Palmer was solid overall. QB Drew Stanton looked really good. He had good accuracy and looked much comfortable under center than Palmer. But both did a decent job overall.
    -WR Jaron Brown gets better every game. He made 2 huge grabs for 86 yards. Jaron Brown was quiet this game but he did some nice blocking to open a huge 51yd run after the catch for Jaron Brown.
    -Darren Fells hands looks much better. I can see improvement which is really good for this rookie TE.
    -For some reason our Defense could not stop Matt Cassel. There were some nice pressures from Calais Campbell and others but the team has to get those sacks. We allowed too much open space in the middle which allowed Matt Cassel to scramble for a lot of yards.
    -Our Defense is looking much better against the run. The First and Second unit defense against the run were solid overall.
    -CB Patrick Peterson did not look good. The incomplete pass from Cassel to Patterson would have been a caught pass if it wasn’t overthrown. Peterson was beat by WR Jerome Simpson. Disappointing outing by Peterson.
    -I can see that the team is repeating last year’s struggles. We could not cover TE Kyle Rudolph at all. Kyle Rudolph dropped a TD pass that was covered by SS Deone Bucannon, but it was not good coverage at all. Technically we just couldn’t cover the TEs.
    -K Jay Feely is on the losing end of the battle against K Chandler Cataranzo. All three of his kickoffs were returned and the kicks were not even close to going out the end zone.

5. By Joseph on Aug 16, 2014 | Reply

Darren-
    What date for the 1st cuts?

6. By Dynosoar on Aug 16, 2014 | Reply

I was not impressed with Ginn (low yards), Big Dan williams (penalties), Sowell (penalties) or Lindley (50% completion is not going to win the third spot, he’ll need to do a whole lot better).

What happened to our defense?

On the other hand, we scored 4 touchdowns. I’m impressed over and over with the two Browns.

7. By red bird of death! on Aug 16, 2014 | Reply

Not a bad game in the second half for 2s and 3s, but Lindley needs to go he has never shown anything and I don’t see him on anything more than practice squad this year seems like a great dude but c’mon people nothing happened for him that was good in Minn, John Brown looked awesome again except for a drop. Hope to see Thomas again in the 4th quarter next game.

8. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2014 | Reply

Joseph –

RE: First cuts

Cut to 75 after third preseason game, 53 after fourth game.

9. By krehbieo14 on Aug 16, 2014 | Reply

Tonight made Arians job of cutting players a lot easier. Way too many defensive mistakes with bubble players. Concerned about the depth of the offensive line with the way Starks, Sowell and Watford played. There were individual standouts, but overall not a pretty picture, including special teams. They need a really good week of practice to clean things up for Sunday Night Football! Also, let’s get Minter, Cooper and Floyd back.

10. By br in nc on Aug 17, 2014 | Reply

Dynosoar,
    Isn’t the defense still running basic vanilla sets? No gameplanning yet? I think we will see marked improvement once TB starts to work his magic, I would guess next weeks game he will put more complex schemes in, and will probably gameplan this one. This being the 3rd preseason game wont the first team on both sides of the ball play 3 of the 4 quarters? (With the exception of a few veteran players on both sides of the ball)
    I’m with you on the Brown Brothers (I know they are not related, but it has a ring to it!) I believe if all the doubters from earlier in the off-season step forward for our helping of crow, we will have a huge feast, and a long line to serve! LOL! (And I will do the honors of being at the front of the line!) There were plenty of posters that were wondering if Jaron would have a chance to make the team, and plenty more doubters/posters questioning John being picked in 3rd round, and I’m sure there was a rather large group of Cardinal faithful who, like me, may not have posted their dislike of the pick, but like me, said something (either out loud, or to themselves) like this… “John who”?, “Played where”? And I actually do extensive research on small school prospects prior to the draft, I had to stop and think for a minute on JB because he wasn’t on any of the lists to go that early in the draft. I know I had a livingroom full of chuckling and ribbing dudes that were giving me holy hell that the Cardinals had made that pick! (Ever since he has “emerged as a very solid WR, and possibly the steal of the draft, I haven’t heard a peep from any of those Jackazzez! They seem to be avoiding me for some odd reason! LOL!!
    Man I love it when the underdogs win, I think most of us can safely say that these are 2 WR’s that basically came out of nowhere and are looking like they are going to be huge contributors, and will step up and win the Cardinals some games when it is on the line! Going to go ahead and put a couple of things out there for all to ponder, if John Brown takes the #3 WR job and continues to improve weekly, he will be a serious candidate for NFL ROOKIE OF THE YEAR!! As well, Cardinals WR corps top to bottom, #1 thru #5 could very well be the best in the NFL (Ginn will have to show something soon, or he will be #5 on the depth chart! He may end up being a return specialist only!)

11. By br in nc on Aug 17, 2014 | Reply

Andy KW
    Wouldn’t sweat to much about the defense not stopping Cassel, or giving up some plays, still using basic defensive sets, very plain, no gameplanning yet, plus we were missing what, 3 or 4 starters? Not to mention it sounds like Cassel played a lot against our 2nd & 3rd string defense, didn’t see the game here in NC of course. Did Cassel play most of the first half?
    I hope PP’s new Mega dollar contract doesn’t come back to haunt us because he suddenly kicks back and relaxes now that he has a ton of cash. It has happened many times before in all professional sports. I truly believe Peterson wont allow that to happen, I think we can chalk this one up to just a bad night on the job, nothing more! Afterall we all have bad days at work, and we all bounce back too! He will be fine, he is a proud man, he wont allow himself to have to many of “those” nights, he is on a mission to prove he is the best CB in the Biz!

12. By krehbieo14 on Aug 17, 2014 | Reply

Here’s my best play of the game – John Brown blocking on Jaron Brown’s 51 yard run after the catch! The kid can do it all. The Brown brothers are making a statement.