Practice squad now gets 10 — and vets

Posted by Darren Urban on August 19, 2014 – 2:02 pm

The NFL and the NFLPA have agreed to expand the practice squad from eight players to 10 in a pact that right now only lasts for the 2014 and 2015 season. That’s good news for coaches who like having more players for practice and for general managers who like the possibility of keeping young talent around to develop. It also helps a team to have more players who are familiar with the system if a roster move is necessary during the season.

The new practice squad rule has also brought with it a couple of adjustments. Players can spend up to three seasons on the practice squad if eligible, and now a player has to be on a PS six games (up from just three) to have a PS year count against one of those three seasons.

Second, and the much, much bigger news, is that two players of the 10 may now have up to two accrued seasons in the NFL. Before, a player with at least nine games on the 46-man roster in a season was not practice-squad eligible. That means that almost every player who has come into the league since 2012 is eligible this season. In the most obvious current case with the Cardinals, that suddenly means that quarterback Ryan Lindley, who was not practice-squad eligible a couple of hours ago, now is eligible.

In Lindley’s case, I still don’t know if the Cards would want to keep him around. There are very few reps for reserve QBs once the season starts and the Cards are going to want to get rookie Logan Thomas as much work as they can. Having a fourth quarterback in the mix would make that tougher for both Thomas and Lindley. But you never know.

Practice squad players still have to clear waivers. That hasn’t changed, so if you think a guy can play, he may never make it through for you to put him back on your practice squad. But with the two-years-and-OK change, the pool for the squad just got really, really big. (Brittan Golden on the practice squad? Even Earl Watford?)

Tags: , , , ,

26 Responses to “Practice squad now gets 10 — and vets”

1. By D on Aug 19, 2014 | Reply

I would think if Watford ends up on practice squad it may look as a bust being he was a 4th round draft pick.

Keisel won’t be a Card, but there are other name/ options available to bring in to kick the tires for DE/DT–Aubrayo Franklin, Isaac Sopoaga, Adam Carriker and Johnny Jolly.

2. By Marlin on Aug 19, 2014 | Reply

What do you think about a rotation that would sometimes have Williams and Ta’amu side by side with Campbell at times? That said, gotta like frostee, but I think with Williams speed, the two big boys on the line same time might be interesting.

3. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2014 | Reply

Marlin —

RE: Bowles

I’d think anything is possible in the mind of TB.

4. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 19, 2014 | Reply

Marlin,

Other teams have run fronts like that. I think moving Dan Williams out to DE when Ta’amu comes back is a great idea.

Those two big bodies would help protect the ILBs and then you could see Kareem Martin in on passing downs.

What I would really find interesting is the nickle. I wonder if Bowles will consider Shaughnessy and Campbell inside with Abraham and Martin outside. At 285 pounds, Matt could be a pretty good inside.

5. By azdesertrat1953 on Aug 19, 2014 | Reply

Wow, this is really interesting in that it changes how the practice squad can be used in so many ways. Six games and not Three now make a PS season that is most interesting.

Darren does it matter how much of a rotation of players in the squad per season?

GO CARDS!!!

6. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2014 | Reply

azdesert —

RE: PS makeup

As long as only two have had more than an accrued season, no.

7. By br in nc on Aug 19, 2014 | Reply

All players still have to clear waivers, with 2 extra player that makes 64 more players around the league, this is going to get interesting, I think there is going to be a lot of waiver claims submitted the first couple of days, IMHO, Lindley or Watford neither one would clear waivers. As well we have 1 or 2 WR’s who I don’t believe would clear either ( Powell and Golden).
    What does everyone else think?

8. By NJAzCardsFan on Aug 19, 2014 | Reply

Darren- With Dockett on IR now- does his money come off the salary cap for the year?

BTW- his loss is just sickening….

9. By Coach K on Aug 19, 2014 | Reply

With the recent losses on defense, it’s time for B.A. to think about going FIVE WIDE on offense and get as many of our explosive receivers on the field at the same time. If we can give Palmer at least 4 seconds of protections, a 5-wide package of Fitz, Floyd, Ginn, Brown and Brown would cause nightmares for defensive coordinators. Not to mention the 6th potential receiver with Ellington out of the backfield. How do you defend that kind of talent if Palmer can get 4 seconds to spray the ball around.

Then switch it up with a heavy multiple tight end package to run the ball, run clock and mix in play action passes. Like I said in an earlier post, our offense can actually be our best defense with the talent we have.

If we can use SHOCK AND AWE with 5 wide packages and get out to early leads in our games this takes the pressure off of our defense and covers up any potential weaknesses.

10. By Big Ken on Aug 20, 2014 | Reply

With the longer season, this was really needed.

11. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Aug 20, 2014 | Reply

This is excellent move for teams and players, more jobs, better, deeper pool of talent developed. Wish they’d expand active roster by 3.

12. By Dynosoar on Aug 20, 2014 | Reply

br in nc,

All I can say is… sorry. And as far as Ramblers Anonymous, I’ve been there and the only drawback is it took a week to read the 12 steps, they tended to ramble. Haha.

I have often wondered at such a small practice squad, but figured practice was meant more for the 53 man squad anyways.

This is interesting and I like that more can be trained in the system so when injuries do occur, the next man up will be better prepared and there’s more chance that he’ll fill a position of need, since more positions can be covered with a bigger squad.

Wasn’t Jaron Brown on the practice squad last year. Seems to have brought the team dividends.

13. By Dynosoar on Aug 20, 2014 | Reply

Scott H,

you’re insights in the last post were insightful, especially the ones on at some point relying on next man up will hurt as that means the “best” are no longer there. But please, there’s really no reason for name calling. We sometimes differ in opinion, but I’ve always respected that anyone who differs from me is willing to explain there side because hey, maybe I’m off base. Then again, maybe there’s just several ways to accomplish the same goal. Then again, maybe I’m right and can convince someone else. But it’s all best done with respect.

Thanks for the insights, I hadn’t thought of the impact of next man up over time. I guess we’ll see how the theory works in practice.

14. By Dynosoar on Aug 20, 2014 | Reply

br in nc, “my ramblin days are done.” Well… at least for this post. Haha.

what’s the mood like with Darnell’s injury coupled with Mathieu’s return? Talk about high and low, then again, Mathieu returning was expected and Dockett’s injury was not.

15. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2014 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: Dockett cap

No. He will go on IR and his cap hit remains.

16. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2014 | Reply

Dyno —

RE: Mood

The team was off yesterday so we didn’t get any insight into their mood.

17. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 20, 2014 | Reply

Coach K,

You’re right. If we have 5 wides and Ellington as a 6th wr out of the back field, I guarantee no one could cover us.
    (think about it……..)

I get your point to play to our talents and go run and shoot. Opening up the offense could net more points. I would expect at times he does go 4 wide and use Ellington out of the backfield.

But BA’s style is to go two TEs, forcing the defense to leave their NT and linebackers in, instead of their nickle and pass rushers in, giving us an opportunity to get one on one with the outside guys (Fitz and Floyd). This is what makes Ellington dangerous. In a base package, they can motion him out to a slot and draw either a LB or Safety on him (mismatch). Now you have a chance to protect Palmer with 7 and still get someone in a mismatch or one on one.

As for 4 seconds, that is exactly what DCs won’t give you with an empty back field. DC’s love empty backfields with non mobile QBs. They could go cover zero sending 6 against your 5 blockers. With one blitzer at least coming free, Palmer will have a second and a half to release that ball to the right guy on the money. Or they can go zone blitzes or man free and come with 5. Bottom line, pressure is coming.

Thus the 46 defense with Buddy Ryan was born, putting more blitzers into an area than blockers, allowing a free blitzer. That was an amazing concept netting the best defense ever (lowest amount of points ever allowed)
    Buddy said if you give me an spread with an empty backfield your QB won’t survive.
    How did the Giants beat Brady in the SB? Pressure
    How did seattle beat Peyton? Pressure

Every QB would like 4 seconds.

18. By Dr. G. on Aug 20, 2014 | Reply

Off subject – – Why in the h – – – is the media so enamored with the Browns’ QB selection when they will have problems winning 3 games this year. A mess is what I nicknamed Manziel before and during the draft… He is proving his immaturity and lack of readiness for the big show. I am ecstatic that the Cards avoided him… The Browns Fans are just starved for action…. it’s embarrassing for them to now have “The Mess” or “The Finger.” Maybe Dansby will take him to the wood shed for a little talk….!!!

19. By jason on Aug 20, 2014 | Reply

Coach K & JTDG-

I agree that no one could cover us with 5 wide and Ellington as a 6th receiver out of the backfield because that would give us 12 players on the field.

I think JTDG in inferring that with his comment already.

20. By hminus on Aug 20, 2014 | Reply

Glad to see them implement these adjustments to PS,…it will be comical,[and painful @ times,] to see the mad grab-bagging that will surely happen following final cuts as teams scramble to stock their PS’s with all the good players floating around…if we put Potter or Watford out there, they wont last 5 minutes before being snatched up…

21. By hminus on Aug 20, 2014 | Reply

However,if we were to cut RL w/the intent of putting him on PS & he was claimed by another team,[low %age of probability,] then i wouldnt lose any sleep over it…

22. By Scott H on Aug 21, 2014 | Reply

Dynosaur –

Well said, my friend, and your request to watch the name calling has been heard. The frustration of losing Dockett was very much with me when I was writing that post. But you are right, there was no reason to be disrespectful.

Yeah, I think the next man up thing can work fine in situations where the defense is solid and only ONE man is being replaced! I believe our D is solid, but…prior to the losses of Washington and Dockett, I believed our D was gonna flat-out terrorize people. But as Darren pointed out in a subsequent post, things need to be re-calibrated and the defense is going to have to do things differently. You can only lose so many men before the “next man up” thing just starts to become ( probably ) un-realistic.

It will be interesting, indeed, to see what Bowles does to adjust for the losses we have incurred. And amidst all the losses, it was great to hear that the Honey Badger is cleared to start doing some work.

23. By Scott H on Aug 21, 2014 | Reply

Dr,G, –

I hear ya. Why Johnny Manziel needs to be the lead story every damn day is beyond me. It’s pathetic. Have ya considered that ever since Brett Favre finally retired, the media just hasn’t any other really good QB drama to wrap itself around? I mean, let’s be honest, the Manziel thing is TOTALLY media driven, period. Outside of Cleveland, does it seem like anybody cares??? I work in a state prison, where there is football talk going on around you all day, every day. And I don’t hear ANYONE giving a damn about Johnny Manziel.

I feel bad for Brian Hoyer. He gets the nod to be the starter and nobody cares. The media is still making it all about Manziel. Whatever.

24. By Dr. G. on Aug 21, 2014 | Reply

Scott H – – Yeah, Manziel has been given respect he has not earned all his life. It is my understanding he comes from a well-to-do family and has never had to be accountable for zip. Now, he is acting like the Hollywood types who think they are really smart and capable while being nothing but ignorant dumb asses.

He is now “the most despised NFL player.” The Steelers defense is begging for him to play, just begging. He has punked out so badly that if I was his boss, I would get him a muzzle and a ball-and-chain. At his early stage, I’m thinking he is a back-up at best. He is not fast enough to handle the NFL defenders like college.

Our Mathieu could offer him some advice, but he is “the man” to listen to no one… Be well….

P.S. Went to the stadium today…didn’t see anything other than what we know…a few possible trick plays for the ST Punting and On-sides team. Not much for Logan… Arians not worried – Frostee will step up for my man Dockett…

25. By Dr. G. on Aug 21, 2014 | Reply

Darren – – Caught your interview on the radio today…good work…. I still think Bowles scheming can overcome the loss of a couple great players…. The D may not be as good as 2013, but BA thinks they can compensate…. I agree and hope that Frostee can fill Dockett’s void…and platooning will help. The proof will come 9/8 huh?

2. Aug 30, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | “Final” cuts aftermath