Arians wants Dockett on sideline for games

Posted by Darren Urban on August 20, 2014 – 12:32 pm

Bruce Arians said he wants Darnell Dockett to get his surgery as soon as possible and get him back to the Cardinals rehabbing, because the defensive tackle will remain a big part of the team even though he cannot play.

“I plan on having him on the sidelines all year long because of his spirit and leadership,” Arians said. “It’s something we need and don’t want to lose.

“Injuries, they happen. It’s terrible for him, a great opportunity for somebody else. Frostee (Rucker) will step into that role, the young guys will step up and we’ll keep moving on like we always do. One injury is not going to change who we are and what we do.”

Arians called Dockett’s history of health — he played in 158 of 160 possible regular-season games in his first 10 seasons, plus all six postseason games — “unbelievable.”

“It just shows how hard he trains and keeps himself in top physical condition all the time,” Arians said. “Unfortuantely, it was one of those non-contact deals. You put your foot in the ground and it’s over.”

– Arians said everyone will be back at practice today save for linebacker Kevin Minter (pectoral), guard Jonathan Cooper (toe) and tackle Max Starks (ankle).

– That means center Lyle Sendlein will return after missing much of camp with a calf injury. That moves Ted Larsen out to left guard, and Arians confirmed Larsen will start at left guard Sunday night against the Bengals.

– S Tyrann Mathieu and DT Alameda Ta’amu will only do individual drills today in their first practice after coming off the PUP lists following major knee rehabs. They will work their way into practice slowly. Arians said whether one or both play in the regular-season opener will be up to their progress on the field, but clearly, both are aiming to play against the Chargers in that Monday night game.

“I want to earn my way on the field,” Mathieu said. “I don’t want anyone to give it to me.” Mathieu said he will wear a brace.

– Arians said Jay Feely will kick in the first half against the Bengals and Chandler Catanzaro will kick in the second half.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

21 Responses to “Arians wants Dockett on sideline for games”

1. By SteveG on Aug 20, 2014 | Reply

Spot on for BA to demand Doc on the sidelines (like he could stop him)…To say he has earned respect is just not sufficient enough description of what Doc means to this group of players and their fans.

2. By azjam on Aug 20, 2014 | Reply

I like having Doc on the sidelines. Very good move.

3. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 20, 2014 | Reply

Dockett has to feel a level of respect from the coaching staff and organization after those comments.

Arians could let him fade into the background and leave it up to the 33 year old to figure out how to come back, provided they want him.

Instead, Arians wants him in the fore front leading the pack. Classy move by Arians.

4. By Marlin on Aug 20, 2014 | Reply

Great News about 90 on the sidelines !!

5. By T. Stone on Aug 20, 2014 | Reply

Just not too close to the field and too soon. Sounds like a great idea until a RB comes flying out of bounds to quick for a gimpy Docket to move out of the way. Then, not such a great idea.

6. By kauaicardsfan on Aug 20, 2014 | Reply

Aloha Darren.
    Sorry if off subject but will you still be doing Cardinals Underground this year?
    Mahalo!

7. By clssylssy on Aug 20, 2014 | Reply

Doesn’t surprise me a bit that BA would want #90 on the sidelines. It may be “next man up” but that doesn’t always fill the bill when it comes to leadership and other intangibles some players bring to the table. There are some guys that are fan favorites who have brought this team up from obscurity and are a part of the foundation, Doc is one of them. Perhaps the pass by Brett Keisel in favor of returning to the Steelers as well as the Steelers effort to retain him, reminded BA of the meaning of “Steeler Pride” and the admirable lengths some teams go to retain players a part of the fold, even after their glory days have ended. This is a good thing for all as our defense needs a lion (exotic pet reference lol) in their midst! Just hope that they don’t rush things with the Honey Badger to the point where his production is compromised, like Washington did with RGIII. I would say that now is “Keim time” and it’s opportunity to WOW us all by signing a quality veteran substitute who can be a playmaker.

8. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2014 | Reply

Kauai —

RE: Underground

That’s the plan. When the regular season starts.

9. By D on Aug 20, 2014 | Reply

Not good for Cooper still being in the training room…

10. By mal on Aug 20, 2014 | Reply

Darren- just for fun, do you think you could get the video guys to post the vid of that Dockett pick he ran in for a TD where he pretended to run into the goal post and knock himself out? What a character!

As I recall, he got flagged for it, but it was worth it.

11. By br in nc on Aug 20, 2014 | Reply

Looks like we signed two veterans for d-line depth. I. Sopoaga seems like a solid pickup, plus can’t be all that bad, afterall he wore #90!! (with the Patriots) Something tells me he will not be wearing #90 with the Cards! I recall with the 49ers, he was versatile, even played in the offensive backfield for them. As well he is/was very strong, I think he has some kind of record for the number of bench presses he did at NFL combine (pretty sure it was him).
    The other signed, Ryan Mcbean?? Have to be brutally honest here fellas, (and ladies, if there are any posters of the fairer sex on here) I have never heard of Ryan Mcbean, never even aware he played in the league, doing a quick search didn’t reveal much, other than he has been out of football for a few years, its gonna be tough for him to shake the rust off, that is a lot of rust! Anybody have any info on him, or seen him play? Thoughts on how he might fit the Cardinals scheme??

12. By LG on Aug 20, 2014 | Reply

Rucker will do a great job in his place and Doc will be there to coach him everything will be ok BIRDGANG 4 LIFE!!!

13. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Aug 20, 2014 | Reply

Dockett has earned his pay this year even though he’ll never see the field. Arains so right so often. Keim magic moves as well…

14. By Coach K on Aug 20, 2014 | Reply

B.A. must have read my post.

15. By cardsalltheway on Aug 21, 2014 | Reply

Early on with his injury, if I were Dockett I’d just show up for home games, you know, to travel on a plane isn’t the best experience for a big man with an ACL injury/brace etc…he needs time to relax as well at home in front of the tube watching the Cardinals and Red Zone. At about mid-season he can travel.

16. By Andy Kw on Aug 21, 2014 | Reply

I love the signing of Isaac Sopoaga. This guy is not known for pressuring the QB but he is known for being a run stuffer. Frostee Rucker has a good mix of both. Rucker is a pass rusher and a pretty good run stuffer as well. I am pretty sure Rucker will get most of the reps but I believe Sopoaga will be in rotation with him from time to time. When Cleveland signed Rucker, they thought he was the pass rusher they were looking for but they only gave him 1 chance and notched 4 sacks. Not too bad. This is now year 2 as a Cardinal and I believe he will reach some career highs in sacks and tackles for loss.

17. By red bird of death! on Aug 21, 2014 | Reply

I’m worried about Minter anyone else?

18. By Big Ken on Aug 21, 2014 | Reply

How about Sopoaga’s hair style? I’m on my way to the barber right now.

19. By clssylssy on Aug 21, 2014 | Reply

Darren…
    Will you be doing the same kind of regular pieces following Dockett’s rehab that you did on Tyrann’s. I’m sure most of the fans would like to stay abreast of #90”s rehab process as he continues to be in our thoughts and prayers during this time and will stilll be very much a part of the team.
    Thanks

20. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2014 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Dockett rehab

I don’t know if there will be something like that. We haven’t even had a chance to talk to Darnell.

2. Aug 26, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | Short practice and successful Dockett surgery