Mathieu hits but isn’t sore; B.A. talks availability

Posted by Darren Urban on August 22, 2014 – 12:37 pm

Tyrann Mathieu was a little irritated with himself after his first practice Thursday in 11-on-11 work, lamenting a dropped interception. Then again, the safety got to move around well, in the estimation of coach Bruce Arians, and he even got a couple of hits in during a non-hitting practice, knocking down Ted Ginn and Andre Ellington after catches.

“I wasn’t really trying to hit them, but I put a little weight on,” Mathieu said with a chuckle, a nod to the “11 or 12″ pounds he added in the offseason so he could get stronger.

Mathieu admitted he felt a little lucky he wasn’t booted out of the work. “I thought (Arians) was going to throw me out of practice,” Mathieu said, smiling again. “He doesn’t usually let people hit Andre.” (That hit is pictured below.)

Better yet, Mathieu said he wasn’t feeling sore and there has been no swelling. Arians said the status of Mathieu and fellow just-off-the-PUP defensive tackle Alameda Ta’amu could still conceivably play Sunday against the Bengals, but give that neither will have even gone through a full practice (they aren’t expected to this afternoon either) it seems very unlikely the Cards would expose either this week.

– Along those lines, linebacker Kevin Minter (pectoral) and guard Jonathan Cooper (toe) would be game-day decisions, Arians said, but neither are practicing today. I can’t see either playing Sunday. Arians said next week — a very short week with the final preseason game Thursday — would be crucial. If they don’t play in the preseason finale, Arians said, he can’t see them playing in the Monday night opener.

– Linebacker John Abraham does have a chance to play against the Bengals. Nothing set in stone yet, however.

– Tackle Max Starks (ankle) will return to practice today and has a chance to play Sunday. Interestingly, Bradley Sowell — who had been struggling earlier in camp — has made “really good progress” the last two weeks. It is a battle between Starks and Sowell for the backup swing-tackle spot on the roster.

– Kenny Demens is the inside linebacker starter with Larry Foote while Minter is sidelined. Lorenzo Alexander has actually been working more at outside linebacker again, Arians said.

– After Carson Palmer starts Sunday, Drew Stanton  will come in at the start of the third quarter or possibly sooner, Arians said. Logan Thomas will quarterback the fourth quarter. Ryan Lindley is not scheduled to play and it’s clear he is behind Thomas.

MathieuHitBLOG

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to “Mathieu hits but isn’t sore; B.A. talks availability”

1. By Saints on Aug 22, 2014 | Reply

When are the first cuts expected to be announced? Tuesday?

2. By Darren Urban on Aug 22, 2014 | Reply

Saints —

RE: First cuts

Don’t have to be in until Tuesday. Keim has said they would likely make them Monday. Not sure if that means they will be announced then.

3. By krehbieo14 on Aug 22, 2014 | Reply

Tyrann and Ta’amu’s practice movements seemed fluid. Very encouraging news! Very concerned about whether Minter and Cooper will get on the field for the opener. Both the pectoral and turf toe injuries can be debilitating. Let’s hope for the best!

4. By cactus jeff on Aug 22, 2014 | Reply

Massie is going to get tested by the Bengals. Get Sowell or Starks ready. Tyrann looks great. Swelling is the key, no swelling after moving around like that and he is on his way! Great job to the training staff and most of all Tyrann. He is one tough athlete, Keim nailed that draft pick.

5. By Richard Brooks on Aug 22, 2014 | Reply

It’s great to see the #Badger back on the field (and hitting again). His presence will solidify an already improved secondary.
    I hope Abraham’s return will be one of excellence. We need his leadership after the loss of DD.
    I expect the offense to look ready for the regular season opener Sunday night. And the defense to be in shutdown mode . It’s great that we will be getting national coverage this Sunday and in the season opener on Monday Night Football. I live in Oxford, MS and I don’t get many opportunities to see my team whom I’ve been following since 1960.

6. By Mark in Chandler on Aug 22, 2014 | Reply

I think there are 3 vets who most have just assumed would be on the team who may be cut.

Max Starks has been MIA some with an ankle. Even with a good ankle, Sowell outplayed him in the games. Sowell had some false starts, but his play was better in both pass and run blocking. I don’t think Starks sticks. Look for Sowell to replace Starks as the #2 RT this week.

Jay Feely I think is gone if Catanzaro does well in the final games. I know the assumption is that a tie goes to the vet, but in this situation I think a tie goes to the young kid. The team needs to get younger and if there is even production, go young. Jay is gone sometime in the next few years and if you have a viable option that is younger you have to take it.

Lorenzo Alexander has not played well in the games. No one has talked about it in the media but he has not had a good game this preseason. We have noticed Cooper’s slow recovery, marveled at the others quick recovery, but no one seems to notice that Alexander does not seem to be the same person he was in Washington or the early days in the season last year. He has looked really poor at ILB and I would grade him as the 3rd or 4th best MIKE and maybe 6th or 7th of all ILB. (I do not see the Cards keeping more than 9 LB on the squad: 4 ILB and 5 OLB). If he were a younger player the only question would be whether he could make the practice squad. Likewise, he has not been good on special teams, which is his calling card. Demens has played much better at ILB and on special teams. If Bishop continues to look as fast as he did in the 12 snaps he played I would have him as the #3 ILB with Demens at #4. I think it comes down to Alexander and Benard and Benard has looked solid on both special teams and as depth at OLB.

I expect at least 2 if not all 3 of these guys to get cut when the Cards go to 53.

7. By Andy Kw on Aug 22, 2014 | Reply

Here is my final prediction on the final roster and practice squad:
    QB: Carson Palmer, Drew Stanton, Logan Thomas
    RB: Andre Ellington, Stepfan Taylor, Jonathan Dwyer, Robert Hughes
    WR: Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, Ted Ginn Jr, John Brown, Jaron Brown, Walt Powell
    TE: John Carlson, Rob Housler, Troy Niklas, Darren Fells
    OL: Jared Veldheer, Lyle Sendlein, Ted Larsen, Paul Fanaika, Bobby Massie, Jonathan Cooper, Earl Watford, Bradley Sowell
    DL: Calais Campbell, Dan Williams, Frostee Rucker, Isaac Sopoaga, Alameda Ta’amu, Ed Stinson, Kareem Martin
    LB: Kevin Minter, Larry Foote, John Abraham, Matt Shaughnessy, Sam Acho, Alex Okafor, Kenny Demens, Marcus Benard, Desmond Bishop
    CB: Patrick Peterson, Antonio Cromartie, Jerraud Powers, Justin Bethel, Teddy Williams
    S: Tyrann Mathieu, Rashad Johnson, Tony Jefferson, Deone Bucannon
    ST: Chandler Cataranzo, Dave Zastudil, Mike Leach

Trade: LB Lorenzo Alexander to the LB Needy Dallas Cowboys for a 5th Rd Pick

Cut: QB Ryan Lindley, RB Zach Bauman, RB Jalen Parmele, RB Damien Thigpen, WR Dan Buckner, WR Reggie Dunn, WR Brittan Golden, WR Kevin Ozier, TE Andre Hardy, C/G Philip Blake, G Anthony Steen, C Tommie Draheim, C John Estes, T Kelvin Palmer, T Nate Potter, T Max Starks, DE Ryan McBean, DT Bruce Gaston, DT Justin Renfrow, DT Christian Tupou, LB Jonathan Brown, ILB Keenan Clayton, ILB Jojo Dickson, OLB Glenn Carson, OLB Derrell Johnson, OLB Adrian Tracy, CB Jimmy Legree, CB Bryan McCann, CB Eddie Whitley, DB Brandon Sermons, S Orhian Johnson, S Curtis Taylor, S Anthony Walters, K Jay Feely

Practice Squad: RB Zach Bauman, WR Brittan Golden, TE Andre Hardy, C/G Philip Blake, OT Nate Potter, ILB Jojo Dickson, S Curtis Taylor, (3 additional practice squad member after cuts from other teams)

8. By Dr. G. on Aug 22, 2014 | Reply

Mark – – I saw Catanzaro perform on Wednesday at the stadium. First, let me note again that Feeley is a real class act and probably one of the smartest and notably politically sensible men on the team…. Hoooooow…evvvvvvver….. The new kid brings distance we have not seen since I can remember, and with a reasonable degree of accuracy. I still laugh when I recall Gramatica and his antics…

DARREN – – Something I vaguely remembered, so I did some research. Palmer had an injury about 8 years ago that parallels Mathieu’s…1 ligament tear, and 1 shreded ligament and some meniscus damage. If he or anyone else mentioned this since his arrival, I missed it. He most certainly had to be significant consolation for Ty. Can you confirm that he helped to keep Ty’s spirits up by relating his experience? Carson is as tough a QB as there has ever been in the NFL…. Thanks….

9. By AzDesertRat1953 on Aug 23, 2014 | Reply

That Honey Badger is just such a gem.
    He really looks good and has come back with extra hitting power!

Here is a thought; Will HB come back and be twice as good as he was the last time Football was taken from him, just this time wasn’t really his fault, But….He had a lot to prove last year, I would say he is in that same frame of mind this year.

I agree Dr. G, Carson Palmer is one Tough QB!

GO CARDS!!!

10. By Scott H on Aug 23, 2014 | Reply

Steady as she goes, Honey Badger. Love to see you out there doing some work. But, please, do not push this. Sounds like you are ahead of schedule and that is just fine with me.

11. By br in nc on Aug 23, 2014 | Reply

He needs to be tested it will give more people that ” warm fuzzy” feeling that he is indeed putting it all together and will be the Cardinals RT this year (and for years to come). I was of the opinion that B. Sowell was going to slide over and be the RT when camp started, though per BA he has come on as of late he wasn’t impressing anyone early in camp. Need Massie to have a solid showing, as well as Sowell, something tells me that Starks just isn’t going to cut it, he didn’t turn any heads in San Diego last year either, as I posted when we first signed him, he (Starks) was a longshoremen to make the team, IMHO.

12. By br in nc on Aug 23, 2014 | Reply

Got to love autocorrect ***longshoremen. (man that is original!!) is supposed to be long shot*** guess I forgot to hit the spacebar. Lol

13. By Lawrence Nichols on Aug 24, 2014 | Reply

It is time to turn the page with kicker Freely, last year I feel he cost us the playoffs with a couple of missed field goals, and those short kick offs that allowed the other teams an opportunity to return kick offs. yes he has done a decent job for the Cardinals in the past, but lets leave it in the past and move on to a younger kicker who can boom the ball and keep our opponents from the opportunity to return kick offs for big yardage, start them at the twenty!