Bengals aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on August 24, 2014 – 10:44 pm

No reason to overanalyze here tonight, not with Bruce Arians talking to the media again just 14 hours from now and a short week ahead. This is going to go quickly, from the 13 cuts that are coming in the next day or so (officially, they must be done by Tuesday at 1 p.m. Arizona time) to the “practices” the Cardinals will try and hold Monday and Tuesday even though everyone is beat up from Sunday night’s game and more football is on the horizon Thursday.

The big concern/talking point again was Carson Palmer. He deserved praise the first two games. He was not nearly as good against the Bengals, and even he would admit that. But watching the game, while Palmer wasn’t good enough for this team to keep up in the NFC West I did not think he was terrible. Arians backed that up afterward. “Carson is going to take the blame and the heat for his quarterback rating but there are two drops that are wide open,” Arians said. “I don’t put a lot of stock in that one.”

Arians said Palmer made the right read on his interception and that it was the receiver (who was Larry Fitzgerald) who made the mistake but not cutting across the face of the defender. Fitz owned up to it as well. Truth be told, it looked like there were so many defenders in the area maybe the throw was ill-advised, but it’s got zero chance if the receiver isn’t where the QB thinks he’ll be. Palmer can’t miss a wide-open Michael Floyd either — and when we say wide open, it is literal. The Bengals just forgot to cover him deep. That said, I saw a replay where Floyd stopped near his defender and then started running again, and if Floyd runs full out the whole time, maybe the ball is in the right place for the TD.

Doesn’t really matter. No one will remember this in a few days. The Cardinals will fix some things. It wasn’t a terrible game. It wasn’t what they wanted, but it wasn’t unforgivable.

— The run defense was impressive. Arians did say he is worried about the pass rush when it’s only four players, and that’s been an issue for a long time. LB John Abraham played for the first time and Arians said he actually played more than expected. Abraham also drew a holding penalty. But it can’t be all about Abraham when the Cards are trying to get non-blitz pass rush.

— It certainly looks like rookie John Brown is this team’s third wide receiver. And if a fourth is needed, it looks like Jaron Brown will get the call more often than Ted Ginn. There will be plays for Ginn in three-receiver sets I am sure, but right now, if I had to put together a depth chart, I’d peg Ginn as behind the Brown boys. Ginn is the return man and the “get deep” threat.

— Other notable spots on the live depth chart watching the game. UDFA Glenn Carson was with Desmond Bishop as second-unit ILBs, with Larry Foote and Kenny Demens starting. Kevin Minter is still out; Carson could be a practice squad candidate. Jonathan Dwyer is pretty clearly the No. 2 running back. Bradley Sowell was the second-unit right tackle, and Max Starks worked third team. Arians said Sowell had been doing better the last couple of weeks. It’ll be interesting to see if Starks or Sowell are kept, because the swing tackle backup job is between those two.

— No injuries Sunday night? That’s the best news of all.

— The offensive line played well. In protection and the run game. That’s an excellent development.

That’s good for now. I’ll make a stab at guessing the 53-man roster in the next couple of days. Time to go home. Back to work in a few hours.

CPbengalsblog

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

32 Responses to “Bengals aftermath”

1. By t stone on Aug 24, 2014 | Reply

I disagree, The Brown’s are 4th and 5th behind Ginn. John Brown is about to get a wakeup call real soon. Someone gonna be standing over him saying “You got knocked the F out” He is too small and too cocky. Ginn is our man and send Little John out only when he is covered by a LB.

2. By Cards4Ever on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

you’re an idiot. Plenty of smaller successful wideouts in the leagues history. Hater.

3. By Steve on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

John Brown SHOULD be the 3rd wideout on this team as he has had a terrific preseason so far. When they drafted this kid in the 3rd round. I was dumbfounded because I had never heard of him before and playing at tiny Pittsburgh State a 2A school, made me question the pick. This kid has done nothing but make plays since camp started much like Mathieu did last year and like Mathieu I think Brown will surprise a lot of people.

4. By cardsalltheway on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Let’s keep the rookie Kicker please and cut what’s his face(old veteran), the guy who can’t kick it out of the end zone while allowing the other team to return kicks.

5. By Andy Kw on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

I feel that if all of those connections were made, Carson Palmer’s night would have been really good. He made some nice reads but also made some bad throws. He went down the field almost every drive he had. He would have thrown 2 TDs if those were connected. Jay Feely’s missed field goal probably costs him his job here in Arizona. Luckily this is just a preseason game and it doesn’t really count. Like what Darren said, no injuries occurred to our team which is a great thing to hear since the Bengals had like 4-5 injured players. I wish those players the best and whoever doesn’t make the cut down to 75, I wish them the best as well.

6. By Chuck 1 on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

9-7 or 8-8 if that performance continues.

7. By Eric G on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

The curse of Primetime strikes once again. What is it with this team and playing in prime time? Terrible offensive performance.

However, it was good to see the defense step up and show that even without Dockett, they can still put pressure and on the QB and stop the run.

8. By cardsalltheway on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Rule Change consideration: Let the receiving team choose whether to make the other team kickoff or simply take it on the 20 yard line. If the NFL made this happen you would see teams take the ball on the 20 if Chandler Catanzaro were our Kicker but teams would make Jay Feely kickoff and they’d probably return a few for big yardage given what I’ve seen from our kickoff coverage unit.

9. By Big Ken on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Darren, Is Glenn Carson related to Harry Carson the former great of the NY Giants?

10. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Big Ken —

RE: Glenn Carson

Since Harry is African-American and Glenn is white, I do not believe they are related.

11. By br in nc on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Big Ken
    I have to agree with Darren..I just don’t see any family resemblance. LOL!!! Welcome to the club, I thought Larsen was Stinson!! I feel your pain! LOL!! I’m laughing with you, not at you!

12. By SteveG on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Assuming that the o line can keep the kind of clean pocket we saw tonight..we are going to have an excellent offensive year….

13. By krehbieo14 on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

There is nothing cocky about John Brown and he is the third receiver for good reason. His catch last night was highlight reel stuff! Obviously a few people don’t know his powerful story from adversity to triumph.

14. By clssylssy on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

What a dismal evening for the “Not Ready for Primetime Players”! And, because BA seems to love the blame game, the play calling wasn’t that great either and could have been the real reason for the miscues and misses. The commentary was horrible with nonstop gushing over the Bengals from beginning to end, and the interview with Richard Sherman seemed a little off the wall and out of place…or was that just me being super sensitive??? LOL, I can’t imagine the Seahawks allowing a similar interview with Patrick Peterson during a primetime game…would never happen! Why do we continue to allow ourselves to be disrespected in such a way? (I know Darren you don’t work for NBC,,,lol…priceless reply!) As for the game, it wasn’t pretty and while the defense was better than I had expected, they were beginning to wear down, and, I don’t see this offense however improved ever carrying us to the playoffs…there is no depth there. Fitz, even with the “miscommunication” still managed to catch the ball and make some nice plays while Brown and Floyd couldn’t catch a cold, so one TD makes Brown the “star” of the game? We have the best hands in football at our disposal so why aren’t we using him better? While Ellington has the speed he doesn’t have the size or physicality to be an every down back and our run game is missing the pouder that, while not glitizy, was valuable last year in allowing the rest of the offense to find it’s rhythm, extending the play and managing the clock better. Remember we will play the Eagles with Sproles and at this rate, I have my doubts if Andre will survive the season.
    The good thing was that this was preseason and we now can see concretely some of the worst case scenarios, hopefully to be addressed and corrected before the beginning of the regular season. That we came away with no serious injuries was unbelievable, and hopefully this game will serve as a wake up call that we must win one game at a time and NEVER GIVE UP THE NEST!

15. By Alex Peña on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Where Nate Potter stands right now? No one have metioned him lately

16. By Dobie on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

To T Stone do the math be for you open your mouth both men are 5’11” Gain weights 185 lb Brown 179 lb that is 6 lb difference Brown is younger and he might gain weight I do like them both and the kid is not cocky and some times it a good thing to be cocky and I hope he does great and please don’t write back and start a argument cause I will not write back about this subject enjoy the game some of you guys just get carried away

17. By BigAl on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

OK folks I partially agree w/t stone …he is right about one thing, in 2 weeks when the real games start John Brown is probably going to see press coverage from guys in this league that are bigger/stronger (altho he does look pretty strong for his size) & have been doing this for awhile in this league! It’ll be up to BA & the offensive coaches to place him in a good position so he can get off relatively clean…

That said…I’m asking for those of you who are as analytical as me…probably nobody is??? To look at the two Palmer throws to John Brown that he dropped!
    I believe one if not both were 3rd down plays…could be wrong on that??? But still
    they should have been caught & moved the chains! Kept the drive alive!

Second & this even more in support of Palmer…on the two throws to Michael Floyd…did anyone else notice how Michael was laboring??? Especially whenever
    he tried to speed up! He is apparently not fully over his groin injury! I soo wish I had DVR’d the game so I could go back & recheck it…I think the one throw when he went totally uncovered, did fade deep & out of bounds…But the first one off Michael’s finger tips…if you look closely as he’s trying to get past the DB his arms are flailing all over the place like he’s trying to use his arm’s to speed himself up!
    Re-watch it if you can? I’m kinda more concerned about Michael’s total condition,
    he sure did not look smooth at all like the guy I saw just a few weeks ago b4 the
    groin injury? Check it!

In other words I’m more concerned about Mike??? than worried about Carson, he’s fine! They connect on just these few plays…make the field goal! And its a totally different game! Always have liked Feely but I think he just cut himself…Bradley Sowell just does not know/understand who is his responsibility on the right side??? That’s a Shame cause a few times, it looked soo obvious!

18. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Re Potter, BA Culture Shock:

I’m with Alex above, seemed leek Potter was a swing T candidate and Sowell was getting 3 penalties in one set a few weeks ago. Did Potter fall off the map?

Interesting comment attributed to Carson P by Chris Collins on SNF, that BA was a culture shock in AZ post Whiz, that the discipline and ass chewings were needed. Thought Whiz was no pansy? Comments on this?

19. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

DTL, Alex —

RE: Potter

Potter is the second-string left tackle right now. I see him behind Sowell, but we will see.

20. By Coach K on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

After watching the game film again, I have some concerns about the front seven and especially the lack of pass rush from the d-line. It seems linebacker blitz schemes are the best weapon we have. Campbell’s strength is penetration and tipping pass with his height. Outside of Campbell, I hope someone else can emerge as a dominating pass rushing lineman.

I was very impressed with the pass blocking from the offensive line, but not as much with the run blocking. That needs to improve. Too many defenders coming off initial blocks to make tackles. Our run blocking needs to occupy the defenders a little longer. Too many tackles by previously blocked defenders.

As for the backups, Sowell really disappointed me. His lack of athletic ability really alarmed me last night. A right tackle should not have the issues Sowell had last night. He just looked stiff and frustrated out there. I was his biggest supporter after the effort he gave last year, but I have to say that Bradley is a big body that simply cannot move.

Very glad to see how well the Brown boys continue to play. They are both clearly ahead of Ted Ginn. Right now, I have Ginn as the #5 receiver primarily because I do not believe he has the hands either of the Brown’s have. He has the speed, but I question his hand placement when running at full speed to catch the ball.

Palmer had one of those off days. He did not look sharp. Perhaps he is having trouble adjusting his throws to so many different receivers with different speeds. Throwing to Larry is much different than throwing to John Brown. I wonder if Palmer overthrows thinking he is throwing to Brown or Ginn?

I think we will be fine if we can find a way to get pressure from our front three defensive line and outside backers. Dalton had too much time last night.

21. By azqfan on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

clssylssy, Sorry to rain on another one of your negative parades but the Cards have no control over the NBC broadcast.

22. By Kevin S Mesa on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Cardsalltheway —

Under your proposed rule change, even if the opponent has a guy who kicks it through the end zone most of the time, every once in a while you might get a chance to return one. So you’d still make them kick off. There’s no advantage to be gained by foregoing a kickoff and just starting from the 20 so why would anyone do it?

23. By Kevin S Mesa on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

As far as the actual game, it was a preseason game. Cards fans shouldn’t make too much of it. If Palmer was our first-round draft pick from this year (a la Manziel or Bridgewater), we might rightly be worried about a performance like last night because it would be all we’d have to go on, but he’s been a starting QB for more than a decade so it’s not like a bad half should change your view of him. Cards fans who were making their Super Bowl plans based on our total domination in the first preseason game were being too optimistic, and Cards fans worrying about what happened to our offense last night are being too pessimistic. Remember, these games don’t count.

24. By clssylssy on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

@azqfan…to some extent I agree with you but there is such a thing as having a voice and letting the NFL Gods know that we actually are NOT the Rodney Dangerfields of the league, we deserve a measure of respect, and viewers in Arizona found their broadcast tacky and unprofessional…or not? Perhaps my standards are just higher? Where is Terry Bradshaw or Kurt Warner when we need a decent commentator? Actually, I like Richard Sherman but just thought the placement of the interview in our game a little off the wall!

25. By steve88 on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Darren, is Glen Carson related to Kit Carson from that old Clint Eastwood movie ” The Good, The Bad and The Ugly?? Just wondering, thanks!!

26. By NJAzCardsFan on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Darren- With Feely cut today… I was wondering what is the longest distance Catanzaro can hit from? Feely had a 60yd FG a year or two ago. Can Catanzaro kick one from there also?

27. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: 60 yard

I do not know. I also am not sure Feely can still kick one that far.

28. By Big Ken on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

@Darren Urban you could have just said ‘naw they’re not related’. Color me plaid.

29. By Dr. G. on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

I’m in an editing mood — Sorry for nit pickin”

cardsalltheway – – Rules – – I would like to see the visitor receive the ball to begin the game. ((A coin flip on a neutral field)) MLB has always done this correctly….It’s a courtesy. I still like the traditional kick-off.

Sorry Darren for this edit – – I have many African American friends who are white. The British ((Whites)) and many other nationalities reside and are born there. One could suggest Black American when they are born here, or Black African if born there…if color must be noted.

The fans do not need more than 2 pre-season games, but I personally want to see how Logan Thomas performs…too bad he will have all the 2nd and 3rd guys playing with him. It may or may not be good measure of his results. And the head-hunters who are trying to make a team will be out to prove something…not a good thing.

Good cuts today…sorry to see Feeley go…. Be well Cards Fans…

30. By br in nc on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Dr G
    I think any game experience that Logan Thomas can get is a positive for him, as noted, Thursday night will be the last time Thomas sees the field until next year at this time. Unless BA has something up his sleeve and puts in somekind of “wildbird ” package and uses Thomas’s superior athletic talent and speed as an offensive weapon. I would not put that past BA, anything is possible. (though highly unlikely) I would venture to say that even if both Palmer & Stanton God forbid get hurt and are going to be sidelined for a couple or three weeks, I would think BA would sign a veteran to come in and start over Thomas, believe he has a development plan and is going to stick to it. It would be nice however, if most of the games Carson could build like a 4TD lead in the first half, then Stanton could come in for the 3rd quarter and tack on a couple more TD’s, that way Thomas could work the whole 4th quarter!! (that would be sweet if that were the case every week! LOL!)

31. By Scott H on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Yes, the best thing from Sunday night was no injuries! The O-line DOES look good, much improved even without Cooper on the field.

And I find myself getting real excited about this Bucannon kid. Cromartie looks great. With the Honey Badger back and up to speed, this secondary could be the best in the league.

And watch out world, Michael Floyd is about to blast off. I LOVE the combo of BA’s passion for the big play down the field, Palmer’s big arm, and Floyd’s speed. The kid is gonna be among THE elite by mid-season. Fitz must LOVE having this kid on the field with him. And after dismal years he endured post Kurt Warner, he deserves it. Defenses can’t stop them both. If they key on Fitz, Floyd will kill them over the top. If they key on Floyd, Fitz will kill them underneath.

And how great does John Brown look???? OR Jarron Brown, for that matter??? The UPS slogan “What can brown do for you?” might just be a good theme for this offense this year!

32. By BigAl on Aug 26, 2014 | Reply

By Scott H
    Brown’s can do whatever Fitz & Floyd can’t! And that aint much! And oh yeah let’s not forget Carlson & Ellington! And the big kid Fells is looking better & better
    all the time, especially his blocking…think he’s got immense talent possibilities!
    They have to find a way to keep him! This is truly the deepest Cardinals team I’ve
    ever seen!

Side note Good luck to J Feely he was a good contributor/teammate & human being! Perhaps he can hook-up w/Denver…bet he can kick them thru the end zone up there! Wonder how Elway is gonna handle the Prater situation?