Mathieu, Ta’amu, Minter, Coop to sit

Posted by Darren Urban on August 24, 2014 – 3:30 pm

There are only four Cardinals that are not expected to dress for the game against the Bengals tonight, and none are a surprise. It’s the two guys who just came off the PUP list — S Tyrann Mathieu and DT Alameda Ta’amu — and the two guys who didn’t practice at all last week — LB Kevin Minter (pectoral) and G Jonathan Cooper (toe). Coach Bruce Arians said this past week that both Minter and Cooper face an important (if short) week of practice if they still plan on playing in the regular-season opener.

Even though everyone else is expected to dress, how much they play will be interesting. There have been a rash of injuries across the league this weekend as all team’s play that all-important third preseason game, and it affects the season. Just ask the Rams, who have lost starting quarterback Sam Bradford for the season when he again tore the same ACL that ended his season early last year. The Cardinals need work and want to be sharp, but more crucial is making sure all the key pieces are ready to play when the regular-season starts against the Chargers in a couple of weeks.

TaamuList

Tags: , , , , ,

8 Responses to “Mathieu, Ta’amu, Minter, Coop to sit”

1. By JohnnyBluenose on Aug 24, 2014 | Reply

It’s too bad Minter and Cooper have to sit. They both need the work. We already know what Mathieu and Ta’amu can do so it makes perfect sense to keep them out. As for Sam Bradford, and to a lesser extent Jeff Fisher and all the Rams, that is a cruel blow. I am going to three games this year and one of them is the Saint Louis game. I was looking forward to watching Bradford play and I am sorry he won’t be there. Not nearly as sorry though as Fisher is. Looking forward to tonight’s game and hope to see a better result from our running game.

2. By cardsalltheway on Aug 24, 2014 | Reply

“lost starting quarterback Sam Bradford for the season when he again tore the same ACL that ended his season early last year”

Let this be a message on how quick Tyrann Mathieu returns. And who conducted Sam Bradford’s surgery? My doctor told me my ACL injured knee(but newly constructed) would be stronger than ever before. I bet Bradford’s 2nd ACL(on the same knee in just about 1 year) tear felt different than the 1st, it appeared less painful.

3. By Scott H on Aug 24, 2014 | Reply

Palmer is NOT looking sharp tonight. Has already overthrown TWO TD’s on the first drive and has thrown a few others too high and too far.. And was clearly not in sync with Fitz on the INT that went the other way for a TD. Has also thrown a few others that probably should have been intercepted.

The pass he missed to Floyd on the first drive ( the SECOND miss )…my God, HOW do you miss a WR who is THAT wide open?????

4. By Andy Kw on Aug 24, 2014 | Reply

The first half was full of mistakes but there were some bright spots:
    -Carson Palmer overthrew 2 passes to Michael Floyd. Floyd was wide open for one of them and the other one Floyd was ahead of the CB in the end zone. He could have caught it but it slipped right through his grasp. He also over threw the pass to John Brown in the end zone, Palmer made a slow decision to throw to him.
    -John Brown dropped a really good pass.
    -Larry Fitzgerald made some really big catches and looked really fast. He had a miscommunication when he was suppose to run an inside route but ran a straight ahead route which led to the Palmer interception pick 6 to Newman.
    -Ellington made some nice runs so basically an improved run game.
    -Protection looked a lot better but Palmer probably was nervous playing against his former team. Not the same Palmer I have seen in camp and in the past 2 preseason game. He missed so many big opportunities.

5. By Andy Kw on Aug 24, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Why does the NBC Sunday Night Football reporters keep saying John Brown is “trying to make the team” and Jaron Brown is going to be the #3 WR?

6. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2014 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: SNF

Why would you ask me? I, alas, do not work for NBC.

7. By t stone on Aug 24, 2014 | Reply

Andy KW

Re: WR’s

My name is not Darren and I also don’t work for NBC but I will answer your question. Because those NBC fellas are reading the notes given to them. They could care less and know little of a rookie WR and a second year WR who most likely will not make a splash once they are playing against real talent.

Together they are the 4th and 5th receiver, nothing more and nothing less. Don’t believe the hype. But if I would bet on it the 2nd year man will outshine John Brown by miles this year.

8. By br in nc on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

T-stone
    I think your wrong on this one, I have to respectfully disagree, one of the Brown’s will end up #3 WR. Ginn, while fast, has no doubt lost a step, as well, while playing here in NC he developed a severe case of the dropsie’s and/or fumblelitas. ( not sure it is even a word outside of football) the Carolina fans used to ride him to no end, the coaching staff was also very frustrated with Ginn, the Panthers lost almost everything they had at the WR spot, the #1 spot was wide open and Finn’s for the taking, as desparate as Carolina was for WR’s (#1 #2 and #3) the let Ginn walk without so much as an offer of even the veterans minimum, that gesture right there was enough to raise quite a few eyebrows, mine included. Granted, Ginn is not #1 WR, he has made it in the league as special teams return man guru, but he struggled in Carolina trying to be #3 WR here, I was not turning cartwheels when the Cardinals signed him (and posted on here his fumble and dropped passes problem) but I also believe that sometimes a change of scenery as well as a change of coaching and offensive scheme can help a player fix or improve on whatever problem has plauged (sp) him in the past (my baseball Cardinals used to pull it off, and still do, especially with veteran pitchers!) but it seems with Ginn there is still work to be done, of course I have just as much chance of being wrong as you do, and this is just my opinion that I have formed due to being “force fed” Carolina Panther football out here. As far as Brown being cocky…I tend to look at it as confidence, afterall he is small, from a small school, and has been told his whole life that he will never make the NFL, now he is out to prove them all wrong, I think cocky (my perspective of it) to me, is someone like Jimmy Graham, he is a great player, knows he is a great player, and is going to continue to do things to make headlines, whether it be making legitimate football plays or dunking over the goalpost just to prove a point, and make headlines. As far as J. Brown coming across the middle and getting “knocked the f$#* out, I wouldn’t doubt that for a second, its the NFL, the cream of the crop, that can and has happened to the best of them. Only time will tell, but IMHO, I think both of the “Brown’s” have a very bright future in the league, hopefully with our Cardinals!!