Keim: Minter, Cooper should be back

Posted by Darren Urban on August 25, 2014 – 8:14 am

GM Steve Keim said on his weekly appearance on Arizona Sports’ “Doug and Wolf” show that the Cardinals expect linebacker Kevin Minter (pectoral) and guard Jonathan Cooper (toe) to return to practice today. That is good news, although it should probably come with a caveat: Because the Cards just played last night, I am guessing practice will be very light today. But it’s a start. Bruce Arians had said this is a big week for both if they have any hope of playing in the opener. We’ll see how it plays out.

– Keim confirmed what I thought I had seen, that wide receiver Michael Floyd did hesitate in his route on the play where Carson Palmer overthrew him despite no defender in the area. “Michael slowed down in his ‘go’ route and the fact is if he would have kept running Carson would have hit him in stride for a touchdown. I expect that to be cleaned up.” Keim said he checked with Bruce Arians to see if Floyd was actually running a double move, but that Arians told him it was a straight fly pattern.

Overall, “it just didn’t seem like our quarterback and our receivers were in sync last night,” Keim said.

– He said after watching video, he was even more impressed with the offensive line play, especially the protection.

– Keim said a big concern of his coming into camp was right tackle but said that no longer is an issue. “Bobby Massie played very well last night,” he said.

– He said he thought DT Dan Williams had his best game of the preseason. In light of Darnell Dockett’s absence, that’s a good thing.

– Keim was very high on the play of rookie safety Deone Bucannon, and said he hopes Bucannon gets more playing time.

– Asked if the Cardinals were going to take one kicker or two kickers to San Diego, Keim said they would make that decision “later today.” UPDATE: The Cardinals cut Jay Feely.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

21 Responses to “Keim: Minter, Cooper should be back”

1. By Steve Weston on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Thought the exact same thing on Floyd’s little stutterstep on the replay. I seem to recall that his defender had already turned around too to look for the ball, so man if he’d just kept going…

Ah well, was disappointed mainly in that it’s one of the few live televised games I’m able to watch out here on the East Coast. Offense definitely had a few hiccups (and not all of those mistakes were Palmer’s, obviously) but the defense seemed to play well, though I didn’t see a whole lot of pressure on the QB very often.

Still, that’s what preseason is all about, and I believe that once the serious game planning kicks in our Cards will be ready to fight for 1st place in the NFC West.

Can’t wait! GO CARDS!!!!

2. By D on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Biggest news from last night appears that they had no starters get injured, that is very good. (don’t feel sorry for Bradford, $50mil guaranteed on his contract)

the defense looked good against the run, but I worry about a pass rush, I know the Bengals have a good Oline, but this defense needs to be able to get pressure without blitzing. Acho, Benard, Okafor, someone other than John A needs to get to the QB. (I didn’t here Campbell’s name much last night)

This offense should be okay, just off last night, I thought Larsen made a strong case to be the starter at LG until someone can show they can play better.

I am guessing Feely will be cut this week and end up for a short time this season kicking in Denver.

On a side note, Alan Branch is still a knucklehead

3. By SteveG on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

I rather like the hiccup in the offense…I want them to be hungry and angry and have “something to prove” (although I suspect that pros. forget quicker than us arm chair warriors).

LOVED the o line play..clean pocket = good Palmer. Bobbie Massie looked like the stud we all wanted to see.

One more “game” to get thru then MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL…

Yee HA!

4. By br in nc on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Another site is reporting that Jay Feely will be cut today, supposedly he sent a twitter message about it (I’m still comfortable in the caveman days!) so I can’t confirm that Feely sent a twitter.
    I hopes he gets a shot with another team, Jay Feely is first class, also does a lot for charity’s in addition, he gave the Cardinals everything he had. Sad to see him go, I truly thought when the pressure was on he would come through just like last year, but his kickoffs seem to be the reason he is being let go.

5. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Just saw the Bears cut ADub.

It is time to come back and work as a coach, scout, or front office. Get this guy involved with the organization Mr Bidwill (provided he is ready to hang them up)

6. By Chuck1 on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

For those fans who thought that the O-Line held up well in protection, I saw it differently in that they didn’t hold up as well in a full blitz situation as I would have thought they should. Cincy occasionally sent three additional rushers late. Maybe Palmer could have seen it coming better and called for a back to help or the WRs could have helped more with “hot read” routes.

Other than that, the O-Line did seem to do well.

7. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Pass rush issues;

This isn’t a surprise as I have been banging the table for passrushers every year.
    But there may be a surprise name out there.

the Rams have been very happy with a guy name Ethan Westbrooks. Of course, the Rams may have the best DLine in the game. So he is battling with Michael Sam for that last roster spot.

Sam just put up a two sack performance against Johnny Football, giving him 3 for the pre season. That may give him a leg up on Westbrooks. (no jokes guys)

Westbrooks, like John Brown was a D2 player. Here is his stats;

West Texas State for the 2012 season, where he was named the Division II National Defensive Player of the Year after logging 60 tackles, 28 tackles for loss and 19.5 sacks with two batted passes and three forced fumbles in 15 games (14 starts) at DE. Led the nation in sacks and led the conference in tackles for loss. In 2013, had 43 tackles and a team-high 19.5 tackles for loss and seven sacks with five batted passes and one forced fumble in 14 games (10 starts). Had two sacks in the East-West Shrine game to earn defensive MVP honors.

Keep your eye on what the Rams do next week.

8. By t stone on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Thanks for the memories Mr. Feely. Keep that leg warm in case the rookie gets a case of the yips.

9. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

God Bless Jay Feely.
    1.With that said, just want to note how fit our starting OTs are. No gut on either one, these are real pros.
    2. Larson looked awfully good at G, what a good get by Keim.
    3. Thought Alexander move to inside was questionable, looks like that experiment is over?
    4. Larry Foote is smart like Dansby, seems like quick read, in right place most of time.
    5. Agree with Wolfley, Brit Golden will be on an NFL roster, awfully good player, wonder if trade to Cincy might come, they’re short at WR.
    6. Chris Collins thinks the Cards are big time contender for SB. Peter King agrees if our D up middle can jell, both in love with Brown Bros Harriman, aka Jaron and John.

10. By ryan on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

good luck Jay Feely! I hate to see you go

11. By George on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

@John The Draft Guy

I do not know anything about Ethan Westbrooks, so I am wondering, do you think he would fit as a 3-4 defensive end? The Rams are a 4-3 defense. Obviously, I do not know what kind of defense he was in at West Texas State. Like to know what you think.

12. By azqfan on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

JTDG, What in the world makes you think Adub would be a good coach, or scout, since he has no experience at all at either? He made probowls based on his freak of nature physical skills, but lets not forget how many, many times he was lost in coverage which takes smarts, and he would have to be able to teach others. Seems a stretch if he could never teach himself. That being said I was hoping he would make the bears. And no I am not saying he has no smarts, just that he made too many mistakes in coverage but was able to overcome with his talent, something not many have.

13. By Dr. G. on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Palmer // Floyd disconnect? Complicated verbiage misunderstood in the huddle and adding crowd noise can cause these things to happen…

14. By SteveG on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

I agree that AW should be welcomed back if he is ready to hang it up..Why? Because when this team was barely a JV squad in the NFL..He stood for the team, he was loyal, he was a rock that wanted to be here when many didn’t ..THAT’S why those of us that have wanted this team to be elite for many years believe that he has EARNED a position with the team…(And as a successful entrepreneur, WTF is all the crap about not him being smart enough?)

That was a douche comment

15. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

George,

I am not sure if he would be a good fit for every down and he is still a work in progress. But I do know the Rams like him and have said it is down to him and Sam.

The Cards are Ok with Shaughnessy and /or Okefer on 1st and second downs. What Westbrooks would give us is that 3rd down pass rusher opposite Abraham. We go to 4 down lineman in that situation. He is long and has a burst and could give us a possible edge guy.

Of course he is a small school guy who was undrafted. He also might not get released. So take that in mind also. A trade? Who knows.

azqfan,

First, it happens all the time. Teams bring in vets to learn how to coach. Every one of our coaches were players at one time. Why would he be a good coach? Not saying he would be. My comment was bring him back in some way to be with the organization. Whether it was coach or front office. Or just a guy who talks with rookies.

I like to see our organization be loyal and bring back guys and get them involved. Whether it is mentoring, coaching, or being a face in the front office, I think bringing back a guy who gave everything is something I would do.

I love seeing Aeneas back here from time to time. Or Larry Wilson. I think When Larry Fitzgerald is done or Dockett, I would bring them back too.

It can’t hurt young guys to be around guys who will be in the ring of honor.

16. By br in nc on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

There has to be a reason he went undrafted?? DIVII or not, stats like that, plus an all-star game MVP…why wasn’t he drafted, hhmmm

17. By cardsalltheway on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

“He said he thought DT Dan Williams had his best game of the preseason.”

I would hope so since he was up against a rookie. First time I heard any announcers recognize Dan Williams. They said…”He’s schooling the rookie” or something like that.

18. By rick on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Good luck Jay you will be missed never forget that fake fg you ran in for a TD. That was amazing. Best of luck !

19. By Scott H on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Darren – I gotta say, I REALLY don’t know about the pass to Floyd hitting him in stride for the TD if Floyd doesn’t hesitate. Because it looked to me ( and the guys calling the game said the same ) like that pass was actually not only high and long but also came down out of bounds. OR al least close enough to out of bounds that even if Floyd caught up to it, maybe he doesn’t stay in bounds for the catch. I don’t know, you have probably had a chance to look at this much better at this point than I have. Any thoughts? Did I just not see what I thought I saw???

On the night, Palmer just was not sharp and his performance did not inspire confidence.

Other thoughts, Larry Foote looks like a great addition and I really found myself not believing how complimentary Collinsworth was of the Cardinals and how they look. Maybe he’s learned his lesson. Sorry, but you KNOW I hold a grudge and I will NEVER forgive him for his RIDICULOUS assertion that the 2008 Cardinals were “the worst team in the history of the playoffs.” Yeah, way to go, Collinsworth. You really nailed it with that one, didn’t ya? Jack ass….

20. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Scott H –

RE: Floyd/pass

Interestingly, BA said today the pass was still too far out of bounds, regardless of Floyd’s run. Let’s say it’s disappointing on both ends of that play. I don’t like that Floyd stopped, but you’d think Palmer could still find a way to hang it up long enough to make it work.

21. By Scott H on Aug 26, 2014 | Reply

Darren -

Yeah, OK. I won’t absolve Floyd of all blame but I gotta put that on Carson. It certainly was not the only throw he was “off” on Sunday night. 7 for 20 confirms that he was just was not sharp. We gotta hope for better and I think during MOST weeks, we will get it.

I DID love that one throw where he beat the all-out blitz by hitting Fitz on the money with that quick hitter over the middle. Very Warner-esque! Sweet! Good to know he can do that.