No starters Thursday; Mathieu watch continues

Posted by Darren Urban on August 25, 2014 – 1:19 pm

Some quick post-cut comments and thoughts from Bruce Arians as the Cardinals prepare to head out to practice:

– Just the normal bumps and bruises coming out of the Bengals game.

– After watching the video, Arians wasn’t as disappointed with the pass rush but believes it needs to become more effective.

– LB Kevin Minter and G Jonathan Cooper will practice today. Minter expects to play Thursday and be ready for the regular-season opener.

– No big surprises on the cuts rationale. Chandler Catanzaro just has a stronger leg than Feely. Arians wanted to let Feely and QB Ryan Lindley have a chance to hook on elsewhere as long as the decision here was already made.

– Arians did not rule out bringing T Max Starks back somewhere down the road if needed — and if he remains available.

– The starters will not play in the preseason finale. Logan Thomas will start at quarterback at play the whole game.

– DT Darnell Dockett had his surgery today to repair his torn ACL. Dr. James Andrews was expected to do the surgery.

– Arians said the only way Tyrann Mathieu will play in the regular-season opener is if he plays some Thursday. Mathieu wouldn’t say he’ll be in there for sure but said there is a “great possibility” he will play in San Diego.

Tags: , , , , , ,

50 Responses to “No starters Thursday; Mathieu watch continues”

1. By Dynosoar on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

“Logan Thomas will start at quarterback at play the whole game.”

I was pleasantly surprised by his performance in that first game and applaud the decision to let him play an entire game. This is the way for him to develop and pre-season instead of being thrown to the wolves in a regular season game is a good way to go.

Coop, Minter and Mathieu – Play and play well this Thursday.

2. By Dynosoar on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

I was at my brother’s Saturday and he and my nephew were drafting their FF teams. I told them both that Ellington and John Brown would be solid picks and that Brown may be the best receiver in the draft.

Neither thought much of what I was saying, until Sunday night. My nephew traded his Cincinnati WR for John Brown and when my brother told him he had to clear it with him first ad he shouldn’t have done it, my nephew exclaimed “Did you watch the game? John Brown’s a much better receiver!”

He is nine and I may have influenced him some, but my brother didn’t argue any more. My nephew also said the other receiver didn’t do anything and Brown did a lot.

3. By chrisgaer on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren –

About Catanzero; As he has a bigger leg than Feely it should help with long FGs too, right? Do you know what from what distance he still feels comfortable. Those young kids e.g. in Minnesota / St. Louis proved to be valuable with their longer reach.

4. By t stone on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

I drafted John Brown with the last pick of the 13th round. I hope he does well the whole year for the Cardinals, but with fantasy I hope he does well the first game so I can trade him before he gets killed.

5. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Chrisgaer —

RE: Long FGs

In theory, yes, it should help.

6. By krehbieo14 on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

I am not sure what this negative thing from a commenter regarding John Brown is about?? There are/have been many receivers like Brown who have played in the NFL! Wesley Welker, Marvin Harrison and T.Y Hilton are a few names that come mind. Please refrain from this nonsense. The guy was a third round steal in the draft and most football people know it! I don’t care about your fantasies.

7. By br in nc on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Adrian Wilson was cut by the Bears. I hope if he decides to hang up the cleats that the Cardinals sign him to a 1 day contract so he can retire as a Cardinal!!

8. By clssylssy on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

It sounds as if their is pressure on Tyrann to hurry his progress and get on the field, which I really hate in light of what happened to RGIII. It would be tragic for a talent like Tyrann to have his career derailed or his future production compromised ny impatience. I’m sure everyone is anxious to see him back but only if he is 100% and back to his previous form.

9. By br in nc on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

T stone
    I replied to your previous post on Brown thinking you had legitimate concerns about the future NFC Offensive Rookie of The Year! Man I fell for your gag, hook, line, and sinker!! Now I see you were just being a smarta$$!! Why don’t you go elsewhere and be a comedian! (A starving one at that!)

10. By georgiebird on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Tough to judge in the preseason since there are no game plans. Nothing radical stood out in the Bengals’ game one way or the other.
    One thing that affected me in a negative way watching the game:
    1) PP looked heavy
    2) PP was slow to react
    3) PP looks very content

11. By Scott H on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Ok, so the Cat Man is our kicker. So be it. I know Feely has not had a good camp or pre-season, so…it’s out with the old and in with the new. I felt very sure of him last year, but…I guess the time has come. We just have to hope the kid is up to the pressure of a late-game FG later in the season outside in Nov, Dec. At least you KNOW a guy like Feely isn’t gonna be rattled in that situation, you know? Can’t practice that in training camp…

But the people making the calls these days in the front office and on the sidelines have my utmost trust, so…forward!

12. By t stone on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

br in nc

RE Future What?

The difference is I can seperate fantasy football from real football opinions and hopes. I bleed Cardinal Red, nothing would make me happier than the Brown Brothers lighting it up. I don’t have a gag, I just say what I think. Why do you think everyone hates?
    As someone that has had season tickets for 21 years I think I am beyond the silly trolls that come to this blog and hate on the Cardinals. Oh how I want John Brown to be what most of the fans on this blog think he will be, however I have seen this before. 3rd, 4th 5th string guys that are all hyped up and produce like they should. Like 3rd, 4th and 5th stringers. And that kid is too small. Just my opinion. Nothing more and nothing less.

13. By JohnnyBluenose on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

No one wants Mathieu to play until his knee is 100%. But there are eleven days between our last exhibition game and our first regular season game. Is it not possible for him to be “not ready” on Aug 28th and yet be “ready” on Sept 8th? It’s like BA is drawing a line in the sand and I don’t see the point in it. As for Feely, his time was up but he was a professional here and elsewhere for a good long time and we should all wish him well.

14. By t stone on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

br in nc
    RE: I forgot

In your response to some post I have made. I don’t care. I see your long dissertations, most of them starting with WOW and I skip them. If I am going to read something that long I better be getting paid for it or it better be from Darren Urban. You and the other prediction posters should start a poetry slam. I need you to defend me like Richard Sherman needs help making himself look like an ass.
    Not at all

15. By clssylssy on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

I have no doubt that Jay Feeley will get picked up and perhaps a change of scenery is what he needs to get his batteries recharged. He has been a great team member and contributor to the community so I have the utmost respect for him as a professional and a person. I really don’t know anything about the new guy but I will be looking forward to being WOW’d. As the old saying goes, “as a door closes another opens”…hopefully for all concerned.
    I am a little doubtful about Tommy Kelly as I remember him being somewhat of a thug in his Raider days and he doesn’t seem like someone who will fit in with our guys but if he can get the job done who knows? Good luck to Jay Feeley, he had some great moments and was always a credit to the uniform.

16. By dylan on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Scott H-

Remember last year against the 49ers the last game of the year we should have won that game. We lost that game 23-20 and Jay Feely made one of four field goals that game. We should have won that game by at least 6 points. Feely is a good guy and did some good things for the Cardinals organization but it was time to move on to someone younger and better

17. By rod on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

TStone –

Troll

18. By shannon robinson on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Thanks for the insightful quote from my favorite coach, Pass Rush Specialist Coach Pratt! He’s going to bring the Pressure and deliver the Sacks!

19. By t stone on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Rod
    RE Troll

Good try. but I dont think so.

20. By t stone on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Darren, this has become fan on fan crime. Just like Clone on Clone. Well done. ;-)

21. By azqfan on Aug 25, 2014 | Reply

Wanted to congratulate former NAU lumberjack for signing a 3 year deal with the Cards!! Way to go Zach!!! Go Jax!!!

22. By cardsalltheway on Aug 26, 2014 | Reply

Ted Ginn,
    How is he feeling? Who hit him and any word on a fine yet? Players will do anything to stay in the game, did anyone check Ted Ginn for bell ringing?

23. By cardsalltheway on Aug 26, 2014 | Reply

clssylssy,
    “I have no doubt that Jay Feeley will get picked up”

Maybe, but for how long? Whoever picks him up better have the finest kickoff cover team.

24. By br in nc on Aug 26, 2014 | Reply

Clssylssy
    How much of that pressure is coming from Tyrann himself?? I would venture to say most, if not all the pressure to return is self imposed. Have not heard a peep out of Front Office or the coaches about trying to get him back on the field ASAP. The Honey Badger is young and hungry, he is just anxious to do some mauling, got to love the heart and determination, but also have to think long term, which I venture to say, at his age he isn’t taking the long term into consideration, that is the training staff and coaching staffs job, willing to bet they have applied the “brakes” on Tyrann’s rehab more than once.

25. By br in nc on Aug 26, 2014 | Reply

For a “true Cardinal fan” you sure have a funny way of expressing it (and if you look at the posts I sure as heck wasn’t the only one who had the opinion that you were a “hater” as a matter of fact I never used either “hater or “troll”, and if you review the posts I actually responded to your first post as if you were serious, so after your second or third comment (lost track of how many negative posts you actually put out) I figured I would put a little humor in my response (thus the ROY. comment.). In all seriousness, Brown has TALENT, many DIVII, DIVIII, NAIA players have done very well in the NFL, a lot were never drafted, he was a 3rd round pick, that should give you a clue that he is very talented (just guessing that you are not a NFLscout, GM, or a coach of any kind at the NFL level?? Me either!) And quite a few much more talented experts decided he had enough talent to be drafted very high in the draft, so I tend to trust their judgement over my own, as well as over yours. Is he going to take his lumps? Yes! Is he going to get “knocked the f@#$ out coming over the middle? Ihope not, I wouldn’t wish that on anyone (I remember watching Daryl Stingley getting hammered by Jack Tatum, and being paralyzed from that moment forward. RIP Daryl!) so its obvious that nobody wants to see that, though you seem to get a thrill out of posting that he is going to have that happen to him more than once! Could it happen? Yes. Could he end the year as the winner of the Rookie of the Year? Yes. Bottom line, we are all supposed to be Cardinal fans, (I myself can claim a picture of me in my Cardinal helmet and T-shirt with nothing more on except my diaper, that was when I wasn’t quite 2 years old, in 1968!) you claim to be a fan for over 20 years, which is awesome, if you have lifelong season tickets, even better (being in the Marine Corps I never had the pleasure of being in one place long enough to have 1 year season tickets, let alone multiple years) but how can a lifelong Cardinal fan post multiple posts on a rookie, about how he is going to get knocked the f#$% out, to me if you post it multiple times you are hoping it will happen to him, you seem to be wishing a crappy year for him, or even hoping he gets injured, that just doesn’t add up in my book.
    J. Brown looks to be our #3 WR, and is very deserving of that #3 spot, as I have posted in the past, Ted Ginn has his problems, he is injury prone, has trouble catching the ball, and if he does hold onto catch he tends to have a fumbling problem, less of a problem is he has lost a step over the years, but he is still faster than the majority of the league. I have been forced to watch Panther football living here in NC, he only lasted a year out here and Carolina’s WR Corps was decimated after the season. The Panthers had every reason to resign Ginn, but yet they didn’t, not so much as a whisper of an offer, why? Because he had those problems mentioned above, the fans out here used to rip him apart every week, the. Coaches lost all confidence in him, plain and simple. Oh and in case you didn’t know….J. Brown is 1 inch shorter and 5 pounds lighter than T. Ginn in case you want to talk small WR’s. But again, at least give him 1 season to prove himself, before you go dogging him or writing him off, he has been told many times he wont make it, at every level he has to prove himself, and he has proven himself time and time again!
    As well, please re-read my reply’s to you, I’m quite sure you will find I NEVER called you a “hater” or a “troll”, I do believe that “comedian” was as harsh (if you want to call harsh) as I posted, sir.

26. By br in nc on Aug 26, 2014 | Reply

T-stone
    WOW! Sorry my posts/dissertations are not up to your standards or do not meet with your approval (you will absolutely love the novel/dissertation I left for you above!) So I will keep this one short and sweet.
    I don’t really care whether you like them or not, don’t read them, give them an automatic ” thumbs down (oh, hurt my feelings!) or better yet, go to another board and post your opinions on it!! I do apologize, I must have missed the rule that says nobody can disagree with t-stone’s opinion, or the 3 line maximum post limit, no long reply’s/dissertations because t-stone doesn’t like to read them.
    WOW, it is obvious that you have confused me for someone who really gives a s#$% about what you like and don’t like!!
    WOW t-stone, you stand in front of a mirror much?
    Oop’s, I’m sorry, seems I broke another one of your rules, I seemed to have used that dirty little WOW!
    WOW, how inconsiderate of me.

27. By azdesertrat1953 on Aug 26, 2014 | Reply

Well, will we see HB on Thursday Night football? Don’t know but it would be nice.

He, HoneyBadger, reminds me of AP from Minnesota when he ripped his knee up and was playing in record time and everyone was Freaking about it. AP also had one of his best years that year.
    I would say Tyrann has a handle on his own body and knows what he can and can not do.

But it would be real nice to see the young man out on the field again doing what he likes to do, being that “Honey Badger”!

GO CARDS!!!

28. By ryan on Aug 26, 2014 | Reply

The front office and coaches know exactly what type of player Tyrann is. There is no way they would “pressure” him to comeback too early and re-aggravate that knee then sit out 2014. I’m sure they would rather see him at 100% in week 8 than 75% in week 1.

GO CARDS! OUR NEST THIS YEAR!!

29. By Dynosoar on Aug 26, 2014 | Reply

br in nc,

Wow!

sorry, lol.

t-stone,

I hope your predictions/thoughts on John Brown are not realized. I haven’t looked at the personal stats, but it seems a few teams have running backs about the same size as J. Brown and they run into tackles and are not injured. (Maurice Jones-Drew knocked a Raiders DE on his backside, just blew him up and he only came up to his chest, Darren Sproles seems pretty solid and good, etc.)

To all, I remember what I was like at 20, nothing and I mean nothing could keep me down. It wasn’t until the second major lower back injury that I slowed down. And the first one probably wouldn’t have been so bad if I hadn’t gotten up and kept dancing after doing flips on the dance floor and not making one and landing on my neck, my head and body being at a 90° angle, according to my friends.

He wants to play and he’s probably pushing very hard for it. As has been noted, there’s probably been brakes applied several times.

I’m just pleased to see Thursday nights final pre-season game is an away game. Make the other teams fans pay full price to see backups play an entire game. Still, we have some mighty fine backups. Go get’m Honey Badger!

I was 8 when I chose the Cardinals as my lifelong team. 1977 gave me Star Wars and my Cardinals. It was a good year. Still have the helmet, it doesn’t fit my fat head anymore, even with the gray foam pads removed, yeah, I tried.

30. By ryan on Aug 26, 2014 | Reply

Can’t we all just get along?

wow

31. By D on Aug 26, 2014 | Reply

I see the former front office person who is now TB’s GM is making some deals. If I could reach out to Mr. Keim, I would offer up a trade to the Bears. (if the $ can be worked out)

I would offer Chicago R. Housler for Jon Bostic, MLB.

The Bears need an upgrade at TE and the Cards need a long term replacement for DWash. Cards can go with Carlson, Niklas, Fells and Hardy at their 4 TE this year. Bostic is a backup LB in Chicago.

32. By rod on Aug 26, 2014 | Reply

t stone –

Dude, you are TOTALLY an internet troll.

33. By Scott H on Aug 26, 2014 | Reply

dylan –

OK. I guess based on that ONE game that we should have won but didn’t because of our kicker, we should conclude that Jay Feely was useless, right? Truth be told, you can pick any kicker in the universe, past or present, and find ONE game where they missed a kick that might have won that game. I suppose I could look back and find ONE game that the Cardinasl won because of Jay Feely but I really don’t feel like taking the time.

I think my point was simple and fairly obvious, that you never know how a rookie kicker is going to respond in big game situations later in seasons when the weather / pressure / crowd noise can add another dimension that can’t be simulated during training camps.

34. By Dynosoar on Aug 26, 2014 | Reply

ryan,

I think what happens is we are all passionate about our team and we all see things we feel should be done to get us the Lombardi.

At times we let our passion get in the way and unfortunately that resorts to name calling. I feel I can differ in opinion from anyone and they can differ from me and it’s all good, as long as we have respect for each other.

As an example, I see t-stone’s remarks in the light that he doesn’t want to see John Brown injured (or anyone else) and is expressing his concerns. I may have understood incorrectly (t-stone, is this what you were trying to get across?)

We can all get along if we acknowledge our collective and individual passion for OUR team and don’t try to offend and don’t try to be offended. We all have different perspectives on some things and on some things we’re all agreed. It’s all good.

35. By dylan on Aug 26, 2014 | Reply

Scott H-

Fair point, and you may be right but who knows maybe this guy will be the best kicker in the NFL this year

36. By Scott H on Aug 26, 2014 | Reply

And yes, that, too, is a possibility. Sorry if I came across as a little defensive. Bottom line is that the Cat Man has been the better kicker and he is now OUR kicker. And I am more than OK with that. Kickers are so up and down, ya know? Young kickers often have a good first year or two, then they seem to lose it, they get released, then they come back around in a season or two somewhere else. One thing is for sure, you can always find one!

37. By Dr. G. on Aug 26, 2014 | Reply

dylan — ScottH – – If the Cards had won that last game vs the 49’ers last year, we would have been 11-5 and still missed the playoffs. It would have been bigger weird news for the press. Carolina and the Saints ran away at the end of the season, and our anemic Conference//Division records kept us from winning any possible ties. So, although Feeley had a marginal showing, it mattered not. We were snake-bit last season…. Be well…

38. By Kevin S Mesa on Aug 26, 2014 | Reply

The problem with kickers is there isn’t a huge sample size to go on in game situations. The median number of FG attempts last year by an NFL kicker was around 30. Missing 3 FG’s means 90% accuracy and people are happy with you; missing 6 (80%) puts you on the bubble, unless quite a few of those 6 were long-range tries that you weren’t expected to make anyway.

Jay Feely is the only kicker in the NFL to miss more than one FG inside of 30 yards last year (he missed two). The vast majority of kickers (27) missed none of these chip shots. The funny thing is, he was right up there with the best on 30-39 and 40-49, going 7-8 and 11-12 (!) respectively. And 3-5 from 50+ isn’t bad. I don’t remember if either of the chip shots was blocked or if there were bad snaps, but unfortunately, even though it’s a small sample size, the fact is the coaches have to make their decisions about kickers based on small sample sizes. And Feely missed two chip shots last year along with one of his few FG attempts of the preseason. Between that and the kickoffs, I don’t think it was a hard decision.

39. By CN Punk on Aug 28, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G – I don’t know where you are getting your information, but you sir, are incorrect. Had we beat the 49ers last season on the final game, we would have been the other wild card team @ 11-5 but instead lost the game finishing with a record of 10-5 and it gave the 49ers a record of 11-5. The whole thing about the final game(s) last year is we either needed to WIN to get IN, or we need the Panthers or Saints to stumble, but neither team did, they won their games and we lost ours, (including the screw-job in Philly, that if it wasn’t for the reffs f*@in us we would have won too) eliminating us from the playoffs. To witch even Jim Harbaugh realized how lucky his team was to leave Arizona with the win and the playoff spot that day. That his team for the third year squandered and failed to win anything, and was the last time that team is going to sniff the NFC Championship, let alone the Super Bowl for quite awhile. As long as they have Tim Tebow 2.0 @ QB they will continue to struggle, watch Kaepernick enough and you realize he is only effective if he runs the ball, he isn’t a pocket passer. Same is true with Wilson, look what we do to him. When we turned him into a pocket passer he had his worst game as a pro, and we beat Seattle IN Seattle.

Rise Up Red Sea its OUR Year!

40. By CN Punk on Aug 28, 2014 | Reply

Correction 10-6* record

41. By Kevin S Mesa on Aug 28, 2014 | Reply

CN Punk — wrong. Surely you can’t have forgotten this already. We needed BOTH a victory against SF and a Saints loss. SF was already in no matter what happened that day… they were going to get in over us if we both finished 11-5 due to better division record (we would’ve been 1-1 head-to-head had we won). Our only chance was for NO to also lose and end up 10-6; they were going to get in over us at 11-5 due to beating us head-to-head. There was a good chance we were going to be the first 11-5 team not to make the playoffs in a long time. That was one of the main story lines of the game — and we were only a couple missed Jay Feely FG’s from making it happen.

42. By Dr. G. on Aug 28, 2014 | Reply

CNPunk – – Thanks for the note…a little banter is good for the blog… You question where I got my info….please go to the link below for some factual details that conclude the 2013 season… I use this site as well.

The NFC got a little complicated toward the end. You went off to another direction by bringing in the Saints and Carolina. Carolina won their DIV… We needed the Saints to lose and go 10-6, but they won and were 11-5. So they had the breaker over the Cards from DIV and CONF records even if we go 11-5 for a WildCard.

The 49’ers did indeed go to 12-4 for the other WildCard. If we beat the 49’ers, we tie at 11-5… and they win anyway also because of the DIV/CONF records. I mentioned all this in my last post…. After your review, will you post an oops? If I erred, please post your source. Thanks for making me take another look…

This is why Arians quotes: “gotta do well in our DIV”….period…

Have a nice day…..

43. By Dr. G. on Aug 28, 2014 | Reply

CNPunk – – I might have added that last year that the Saints won earlier in the day, so, even if the Cards go to 11-5, I hated watching that 49’er ball game knowing we were staying home for the playoffs….. I await the reversal of your understanding of facts presented for you… Be well……

44. By Scott H on Aug 28, 2014 | Reply

Gentlemen –

Kevin S Mesa is correct – the Saints needed to lose their last game AND the Cardinals needed to win for them to make the playoffs. When the Saints won their game, it was over no matter what the Cardinals did.

If I may weigh in further, I think the moment that TRULY put us out of the playoffs occurred during a Falcons-49ers night game late in the season. A win for the Niners that night clinched a playoff spot for them and basically put the Cardinals in a situation where their hopes were slim to none. The Falcons kept the game surprisingly close and they were actually driving for what could have been a game-winning TD in the final minutes. And then it happened – the Niners came up with an INT that went the other way for a TD that sealed the game AND a playoff spot for THEM. As I watched the 49ers celebrate that score, I felt like our season had just ended. I felt like our only way into the playoffs was to somehow take 2nd place in our division. When the 49ers won that game against Atlanta, that became impossible. We still had a chance in the final week but…it didn’t feel like it was gonna happen.

But Dr G, I don’t get your statement that the Cardinals were “snake bit” last season. I certainly don’t think winning 7 of the last 9 and reaching double-digit wins is a snake-bitten team! To the contrary, it made the Cardinals one of the TRUE surprise teams in the NFL last season.

45. By CN Punk on Aug 28, 2014 | Reply

That situation is what i was referring to, had the Saints also lost and we won, yes i am aware that by the time we played it was a moot point, but to just say had we won we wouldn’t have gotten into the playoffs is what i was referring to. But if that is in fact what you meant, yea sure, “my bad” i can admit when I’m wrong. I assumed you meant when the day started, not when the game started. But yea that was the most complicated i remember the postseason scenarios getting in, idk, maybe ever. I still stand by my scouting of Kaepernick and Wilson tho. Those two are not legitimate NLF Qbs, nothing against them as people, (tho Kaepernick has made an ass out of him self a time or 2).

46. By Dr. G. on Aug 28, 2014 | Reply

ScottH – – Is there an echo in here? Kevin accurately confirmed what I already posted. Your synopsis of the Falcons game is right on. I saw that game as well, and agree that was a giant nail in the coffin for us.

By “snake bit”, I mean that none of the possible “luck factors” went in our favor. The last two games for all NFC teams were very disappointing for me…well…all of us…. A good historical team wins when it must, ala, the Saints in the end.

This year, Arians will not pull any punches in our Division/Conference…. There is where you make your own luck… Be well..

47. By Dr. G. on Aug 28, 2014 | Reply

CNPunk – – Bottom line, you wrote that the 49’ers were 11-5. They went 12-4… Not pickin’ at you… that season ending was just not good for people with high blood pressure…. Good stand up… Be well…

48. By Kevin S Mesa on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

Yeah, that Atlanta game was a heartbreaker.

I think luck evened out for us over the course of the year. I mean, honestly, we had no business winning that game in Tampa Bay. And then of course there was the game where we allowed the Titans to score 17 points in the last 3 minutes or so. I still believe they made a mistake not going for two after the last TD; I think at that point, they were well over 50% likely to make it, and we caught a break.

As disappointing as it was to miss the playoffs, it sure is fun to talk about the heartbreaking games because they were relevant. When you go 5-11 it doesn’t really matter if one got away. For me, the moment that sticks in my head the most was PP intercepting Foles late in the 4th, and having it negated by a very ticky-tacky penalty call on Mathieu away from the ball. We had been flat the first half (starting the game with a fumble on the third play, allowing the Eagles an early TD), and at one point trailed that game 24-7, but we had put two TD’s on the board in the 2nd half and the PP INT would have put us on the PHI 43. One first down and we’d be in FG territory; a TD drive and we’d have had a 4 point lead and PHI would’ve needed a TD to counter. (And then when we DID get the ball back much later in the quarter and much deeper in our own territory, we didn’t get any calls — I seem to remember two plays where there could’ve been penalties called, one on a pass to Floyd… it was bogus that we got no calls there, but the PP INT was negated by Mathieu touching a guy away from the ball).

49. By CN Punk on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

Kevin S Mesa – I completely agree about that Eagles game, P2 and our defence had Foles rattled at that point in the game and when he threw that interception he knew we had him. But I remember the look on his face when they got that bs call (that they wouldn’t throw for us, and we ended up getting a unsportsman-like penalty and resulting fine because our defence, at that point, had, had enough of the referees crap that already costed us the game) i swear Foles smiled, because he had to have realized Philly had the refs in there pockets that game.

I am convinced some referees are running the same scheme that the NBA refs were. There are just to many calls during a game that makes everyone say, COME’ON MAN!

50. By JohnnyBluenose on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

Had we won our first game of the season, against the Rams, our last game of the season would have been meaningful and we would have won it and would have been in the play-offs and who knows what would have happened then. Hopefully we will get off to a good start this year but we have a lot of question marks and it will not be easy, beginning with the Chargers on Monday Night Football.