Short practice and successful Dockett surgery

Posted by Darren Urban on August 26, 2014 – 2:21 pm

The short practice week got even shorter Tuesday when coach Bruce Arians,citing the humidity during the outside workout, ended practice about 40 minutes early. Arians also noted how few players he had practicing, which goes more toward the players who won’t be playing Thursday rather than too many injuries. In fact, Arians said there was no change on that front. He did say he broke out the two fields of work for the first time since OTAs, allowing some of the starters who don’t figure to play to get some skeleton work done while the rest of the team prepped for the Chargers, Part I.

– Arians’ update on the players who have been injured: LB Kevin Minter is ready to play. NT Alameda Ta’amu looks like he will play, as does guard Jonathan Cooper. S Tyrann Mathieu remains day-to-day and a game-day decision Thursday. As promised, Mathieu’s playing status will be mostly up to him and how he feels about playing. If those guys play, Arians figures it will be about 20 to 25 plays.

– The surgery for DT Darnell Dockett went well, Arians said. Dockett remains in Alabama, where Dr. James Andrews did the work, and will be there abut five days, Arians said. It was a “clean” ACL injury — no ancillary damage — and Arians said Dockett was doing well after trading texts. “He is in really good spirits, anxious to get back,” Arians said.

Arians’ plan to have Dockett on the sidelines for games echoes his 2012 season in Indianapolis, when he also had a player injured for the season in November who still was on the sideline every game and traveled with the team. That guy? Cornerback Jerraud Powers, now a Cardinal.

– Arians did not specify who the Cardinals were having in for a tryout Tuesday (although it’s been reported that it will be defensive lineman Tommy Kelly) but he acknowledged there would be one. That workout had not happened yet, Arians said, because of “flight problems.” It was expected to take place later in the day.

– Interesting to see the Seahawks have lost two minicamp practices in 2015 for violating the CBA with their 2014 offseason work.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

19 Responses to “Short practice and successful Dockett surgery”

1. By Dynosoar on Aug 26, 2014 | Reply

There’s a reason USC has sanctions against them. Same reason Seattle has them.

Docket tweeted a statement on the back of t-shirts I’ve seen the coaching staff wearing.

Loyalty – Trust – Respect

We’re Loyal to OUR team, the Cardinals. We Trust the coaches and players to win games and provide some spectacular plays doing it. Let’s Respect everyone who comments here.

We’re all passionate about our team and we’re all in this together. Let’s enjoy what may be our best season so far.

By the way, Darren, I haven’t seen the Loyalty – Trust – Respect t-shirts available in the Cardinals store. Do you know if they will be available in the future? I think one of these with the Huge Cardinals logo on the front would be Awesome!

2. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2014 | Reply

Dyno –

RE: shirts

Like the “Get Your Mind Right” shirts of the previous regime, they are for team use only. They won’t be for sale.

3. By Dynosoar on Aug 26, 2014 | Reply

“Regime,” that word just needs to be used more.

Well, I’ll just need to make my own. Thanks for the info.

I like “Loyalty – Trust – Respect” better than “Get Your Mind Right”.

4. By Patrick on Aug 26, 2014 | Reply

Great news for Mr. D, I love modern medicine/surgery techniques that greatly enhance the chances of recoveing fully on these types of injuries. Makes you wonder about Gale Sayers injury in today’s era of “The Game”. He was a baller.
    Can’t wait to see Mr. Thomas with four quarters to show us “What He Got”

5. By Dr. G. on Aug 26, 2014 | Reply

My man Dockett – - Good to know he is in good spirits even with this awful experience. BA and Keim are making a fantastic gesture with DD to keep him around during the action. It will be mutually beneficial to him and his gamers. Without this gesture, a player might feel slighted… And, I have a weird feeling that he could renegotiate next season if he is healthy… His love and passion for the game is an example for all his teammates. Lots of work ahead Doc…be well man.

Seattle – Pete Carroll has always been unethical in my book, even at USC. I remember 2 years ago when the Packers were cheated out of a game with an obviously bad call to end the game, and Pete was celebrating as if it was OK to win like that. He and Sean Payton should have tea often to discuss their snake oil protocol….

CARDS have an honest, direct, tough, ethical and quotable coach in our BA!!

6. By shannon robinson on Aug 26, 2014 | Reply

A tip of the Cardinal Wing to you Darren. That’s two stories in a row on my favorite coach, Pass Rush Specialist Tom Pratt. Only three sacks so far in the preseason? I say so what, because I know the man is working on it relentlessly. Of course he has film on the great pass rushers through history – Coach Pratt could have taken the film himself. I’m not kidding now he will deliver explosive sacks with our young guns. Just listen to what he says today. I really appreciate the coverage and in depth look at Coach Tom Pratt. I hope I get to meet him someday. Thanks Darren!

7. By Kevin S Mesa on Aug 26, 2014 | Reply

While we’ve been a defensive-minded team the last few years, I’m going to go out on a limb here and predict that the 2014 Cardinals will rank higher in scoring offense than in scoring defense. (And our defense is still very good IMO.)

It won’t be the Warner days of just trying to outscore the other team, but I think the improvements to our O-Line, the addition of Brown and the improvement of the other Brown, and more touches for Ellington will be huge, plus our offense was much improved the 2nd half of last year (over 27 pts per game) once they knew the system. After Denver at 37.9 PPG, there were 4 teams in the 27′s and 4 in the 26′s last year. I think we can be somewhere in that range. And while I’m excited about some of our additions on D, I think expecting it to be about the same is about all that we can ask for, considering the departure of Dansby and losses of Washington and Dockett.

8. By Chuck 1 on Aug 26, 2014 | Reply

The motto that I remember from Whiz’s “regime” was “We do this together”.

9. By LadyBird04 on Aug 27, 2014 | Reply

Glad to hear Dockett’s surgery went well. Great for him and the team that he will be re-habbing in Phoenix and be around the team. Good for them and him! He will work his butt off and his recovery will get his best effort. Looking forward to seeing him in Cardinal Red again next year. Please keep us updated on Dockett and his progress.

Hate to even put a comment about Carroll in the same note as Dockett. Carroll has always come off as slimy/sneaky/false and just not someone I would want to be around. I wouldn’t trust him as far as I could throw an elephant.

10. By Marlin on Aug 27, 2014 | Reply

Sounds like coach and players are starting to wonder how tough Cooper is. He needs to get out on that field and work hard through the pain of that toe. Starting to get concerned about how committed he is,

11. By clssylssy on Aug 27, 2014 | Reply

Glad to hear good news about Dockett’s surgery and good spirits and look forward to seeing him on the sidelines cheering his team on. Dr. Andrews is one of the best in his field and it’s always comforting to know we have the best working on one of our best. Phoenix also has some top tier specialists so that he will be returning home for rehab with others in that same league. As to a question asked previously about Tommy Kelly taking Doc’s spot, I believe you said if Kelly were added someone would have too be cut, the inference vague but the implication that it possibly would be Dockett. Please correct me if I misunderstood.
    As for the trouble in Seattle, while I’ve never been a big fan of Pete Carroll’s, I can’t argue the fact that he’s really turned that franchise around…not on his own but he has been very influential, and PLAYERS LOVE HIM, he is energetic and makes players WANT to love playing the game in much the same way as Jim Harbaugh or Sean Payton, Bill Billichick, so, I prefer to not make any sweeping judgments based on things I have no first hand knowledge of…other than what I’ve heard from players. Haters are going to hate anytime they aren’t the winner. As for the Packer loss a few years ago, that was on the refs and the league who back them up; we can only hope those types of situation don’t happen again but chances are they will, it’s football after all.
    People have asked me for twenty years, how come I can continue to back the Cards with more losing seasons than not, and it is because of the players and the team culture that has been cultivated with an emphasis on professionalism and humanitarian efforts in the community and beyond. We’ve had our few bad apples but they’ve not lasted, and we’ve passed on some bigger names because of questionable character traits fitting in with our team culture. We have had some very good coaches who have inspired our players, on to greatness and as fans we can take pride in the quality of character embodied by our team. GOOD LUCK CARDS! HAVE A GREAT SEASON.

12. By Scott H on Aug 27, 2014 | Reply

I’m sure we’ll hear more about this real soon, but it’s up on NFL.com right now that the Cardinals will be meeting with James Harrison. Hey, can’t hurt. If he has anything left in the tank, why not? He played last year and looked like he still had something to offer. He is obviously not a starter / FT player anymore but we obviously would not be asking him to be that.

13. By ryan on Aug 27, 2014 | Reply

Dyno- “let’s enjoy what may be our best season ever”…I feel the exact same way and thats what i like to read!

Dr. G- don’t forget to add Belichick/ spygate to your list!

Dockett- get well and can’t wait to see you in action again

Feely- hate to see you leave but best of luck to you!

The new Cardiac CAT- hit all your kicks and show everyone why you are here. good luck rook!

T-mius 12 days and counting

14. By Scott H on Aug 27, 2014 | Reply

Dr G -

I share your general opinion of Pete Carroll. I just don’t like the guy. I respect the success he is having in Seattle, but…he’s a snake. I remember that Packers-Seahawks game very well. Man, what a travesty that was. Shame that it took an embarassment like that to expedite the end of the replacement refs fiasco. For that to happen during a prime-time regular season game….what a black eye for the NFL. Then again, the NFL feels no pain from anything, so…what the heck, ya know?

15. By clssylssy on Aug 27, 2014 | Reply

I would rather have James Harrison than Tommy Kelly. Harrison was a Steeler and had the reputation for being the “Meanest Man in Football” but BA was a part of that organization and I would trust his knowledge of Harrison’s fit with the team.
    It seems that often a defensive player who is at all physical get labeled negatively, including our own Darnell Dockett. I guess as long as it’s not Richie Incognito, who has a documented history of instability and antisocial behavior,it will be something we can live with for the short-term.

16. By br in nc on Aug 27, 2014 | Reply

Have to agree with you ladybird….scandal seems to find him, I just hope R. Wilson doesn’t get caught up in any of Pete’s shady stuff. I have followed Wilson since his early days at NC State, was very impressed with him, but he has always had to prove himself (very much like John Brown has to do the same) at every level, and every stop…” this is the ACC he is to short will never make it, now he is in the B10, this is NOT the ACC, he can never succeed as a QB in the B10. Then of course everyone heard how he NEVER make it as a NFL QB, proved them all wrong!! And even though he plays for a rival of the Cardinals, I respect the heck out of Russell Wilson, for proving everyone wrong!

17. By Dr. G. on Aug 27, 2014 | Reply

clssy – - Yeah, the call was on the ref making a huge mistake in the Packer/Seattle game… But you ignored the part of my commentary that noted it is in bad taste to go nuts celebrating a win you did not deserve… Pete has no class…((immature))

ryan – - Yes, there are a few more that are on my bad actor coach list.

Martin – - Cooper? Just keep hoping he’s not cursed as Wadsworth was.

ScottH – - On the Packer/Seattle horrible call, the Commish had the legal authority to reverse that interference call the next day and give the win to the Pack; he buried his head in the sand. A yellow streak? Character matters there too….

I’m in the stands to watch the Chargers go down on 9/8… Be well Cards Fans…

18. By br in nc on Aug 28, 2014 | Reply

Clssylssy
    DD is on the IR for the year, he will not be cut, he doesn’t count against our 53 man roster, with that said, he is a candidate for a cap cut next year, some are saying his salary is to high, but I think it is the cap hit that is to high (just my opinion) I believe DD has earned that last year of his contract next year, he has been a workhorse, leader,and pro bowl caliber player for a decade now, plus, the Cardinals got a potential first round talent (most experts agreed he was a first round talent, and we got a third round steal) for third round money, also prior to this injury, he has only missed 2 games in his career, I’m probably in the minority here but I strongly believe he has earned every penny of next years pay already!! (Usually I’m all for players taking pay cuts, contracts these days are getting ridiculous, though the NFL doesn’t have full guaranteed contracts, like other sports, they’re contracts are getting in the crazy mode as well.) Usually I support pay cuts or restructures (which doesn’t hurt the player, he still gets his money eventually, but a restructure puts the team in a cap bind usually, ie….Fitz whopper of a cap hit!) DD hopefully will recover 100%, can work an extension to where he stays with the Cardinals and still gets the money from the final year, it would just be spread out over the length of the extension, as a signing bonus, or roster/workout bonus, or combination of both. I’m not sure how the contracts are worked for salary cap hits, John the Draft Guy is the GURU that I rely on to explain that kind of “garble” to me!! I do believe any kind of bonus can be spread out over the years of the contract, player gets the money up front though. (So if DD signs for 5 years, and gets a $10 million signing bonus, the cap hit is spread out at $2 million per year for the 5 years, I’m pretty sure that is the basic example, each team has a salary cap expert that does the #’s for the contracts, and they can get very, shall we say…CREATIVE, not to mention very complex!)

19. By br in nc on Aug 28, 2014 | Reply

RE: Contracts
    ****totally off subject as well different sport****
    I read the other day where Doc Rivers just signed a new extension to coach the Clippers for 5 more years, at $10MILLION each and every year!!! That is for coaching, not playing, and he probably has 5-6 assistant coaches that draw up game plans, gather scouting reports, coach the different positions, he also has the equivalent of offensive and defensive coordinators. And he is pocketing $50MILLION dollars total, of course that is gross before taxes, but still huge money for a coach!