Chargers (and preseason) aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on August 28, 2014 – 11:52 pm

We’ll try not to get too verbose here. It’s late and in a matter of hours, the Cardinals are going to at least begin the process of making the final cuts to the 53-man roster. I’m just thrilled to have a computer to type this on, after leaving it in the taxi and watching it drive away before the game. But that turned out OK — obviously I got it back — and maybe it’s good the preseason is over for me as well.

Bruce Arians rarely pulls punches. He didn’t tonight saying some of the play was “disturbing” and that it will make some of the roster choices easy. We’ll see how it filters out. I don’t know if injuries will affect anything. Safety Eddie Whitley, with a potential broken foot, wasn’t going to make the team. Safety Curtis Taylor, who may have broken his arm, was trying to make a push, especially with the iffy status of Tyrann Mathieu. That option is now gone. Nate Potter was trying to make the team as a backup tackle — maybe, just maybe, the Cards would keep an extra two tackles — but hurt his shoulder. (I don’t know how Bradley Sowell did either; it’ll be interesting to see if Max Starks is ever brought back like Arians said he might be.)

I expect some cuts Friday, some Saturday. And then we’ll see what else comes in the form of waiver claims, maybe another signing. We have a long 10 days before the opener.

— The big mystery was whether Tyrann Mathieu would play. He did not, and yes, if you take Arians’ word for it, he won’t play in the opener. I’m beginning to think that’s not just lip service. Look, Arians can change his mind, but it’s feeling more and more like the Cardinals are going to handle this with kid gloves. And really, why not? Here’s the interesting question — does Mathieu come back after the bye (three games into the season), like Arians always thought he would?

— No way to know how they looked at the battles for spots. Undrafted linebacker Glenn Carson played well with 10 tackles and could’ve (should’ve?) had a leaping interception late in the game. That would have looked good on the résumé. You can’t help but notice the kid out there. Can he edge out a vet like Desmond Bishop? Carson said he’s done all he can do — “It’s in the hands of the coaches now,” he said — but he’s made a nice case. Practice squad certainly.

— Felt the same about Walt Powell. He looked good on kickoff returns and made a nice move after a catch to avoid tacklers and get a first down. Brittan Golden dropped a deep ball. One play does not a roster spot make, but if it’s close, you have to wonder (although Golden did make a nice play to open the second half and force a fumble on a San Diego kickoff return.)

— I agree with linebacker Kevin Minter that he looked OK. At least he was back on the field. Jonathan Cooper looked a little more shaky, but in his case, Ted Larsen is starting for the time being anyway. It’s going to take some time for Cooper, clearly. That’s just reality.

— Love the way Deone Bucannon hits. That is a physical aspect the Cards need in the secondary, their answer to Kam Chancellor. He got lost in tight end coverage once though, losing his man as he stared too long in the backfield. Got to be careful on that.

— The way Arians sounded talking about Tommy Kelly’s 15 or so plays, I got the impression he’s got a good chance to make the roster. Isaac Sopoaga, who had been battling an oblique strain, didn’t play. Will be interesting to see how the defensive line plays out.

OK, that’s a wrap. We’ll have some news tomorrow. I don’t know how headline-grabbing it will be, but the next two days will go a long way in shaping the roster for the season.

Bruce Arians

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

42 Responses to “Chargers (and preseason) aftermath”

1. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

I’ve waited for this moment. Super excited for the regular season to start. Very interested in seeing how our team will fare this year. I am seriously hoping for a playoff spot this year. I think we can make it happen this year. So so close last year. Expectation has to be at least a playoff spot. My regards to all the players working the tails off to make the team. We will cut some good players, true. But we will maintain the best of the bunch. I am 100% behind our team and looking forward to a great season. GO CARDS !!!!

2. By Eric G on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

I’m not one to read to much into preseason games, especially the 4th one, but 98 total yards? Really? Man oh man I hope the starters and second stringers stay healthy.

3. By Marlin on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

Curtis Taylor caught a real bad break. Neither O Tackle (Potter or Sowell) looked good. We need to find a veteran backup tackle on waivers. Interior D line was soft…surprised to see San Diego so successful “up the gut”. Agree with Arians, it really wasn’t a good performance. With injuries and obvious poor play, cuts will be easy.
    Now for the real action – Go Cardinals !!!!

4. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

Good wrap, waiting on Keim time now. (Fwiw, thought Bishop made his case).

5. By georgiebird on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

Luke Kuechly is a 6′ 3″ 235lb LB from Boston College – he is 23 years old
    Glenn Carson is a 6′ 3″ 235 lb LB from Penn State -he is 23 years old

Both guys are not the strongest, not the fastest, not the biggest linebackers in the league. They are, however, very smart athletes. The Cardinals need a player like Carson very much. The defense is currently made up of anti-Carsons- guys with immense physical talent who make mental mistakes after mental mistakes.
    I watched Kuechly play in college and last year with the Panthers. He holds on every play, he gets knocked around once in a while but, you know what, he gets the job done big time. Why the success?-because Kuechly is among the smartest player on the field.
    Carson, in the same way is an intelligent player. It would be better if he was bigger, stronger and faster. But you know what, if Kuechley can make it as a big star, then Carson can, at least, be a very good player in the NFL.
    And does Penn State turn out a good linebacker once in a while?

6. By br in nc on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

Damn the luck some of the players have, C. Taylor, looks like a broken arm? Hate to see that, was hoping for bumps & bruises only!! Was pretty sure if Taylor didn’t make the final cut he would have been picked up by another team, just hate to see season changing unities (that effect both the team and the individual player). Potter as well, same boat as Taylor, I believe if he didn’t make the Cards final 53, he would have stuck somewhere in this league.
    Well, at least its over! (Preseason) Now the March to the SB begins, put your game faces on, get your mind right, and go take care of business fellas!! Carry that SB trophy up to the Front office ( can’t say bring it home, cuz it will be home already!! ) Bring it home sounds so much better, but since the Cards are trying to become the first team to hoist the trophy on there home field, crap I’m at a loss for words ( never thought you guys would ever here that from me, now did you!!!!) Gotta think up a slogan for our March to home field advantage for the Super Bowl. I have to think on this one, and get back to you!!
    Anyway…GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!

7. By Steve on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

Is Bernard eligible for PS? Saw he got dinged up a bit but returned to the game.

Also do you think Alexander is a near ‘lock’ to make the roster? I haven’t looked close enough but has Bishop been playing ST?

8. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Benard/Alexander

Benard is not practice squad eligible.

I could definitely see a scenario where Alexander is cut.

9. By cards62 on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

Hello Darren

Greetings as we embark on a new season.

Wondering your thinking and all Cardinal fans thinking on Logan Thomas? I know he does not have to play this year or next year, but I just do not want another Warner – Lienart type handoff of the QB position. Very excited after the Houston game, but last two games he played I did not see anything to be excited about for the future.

I will be nervous about the first game as it is in prime time and we usually do not play well in prime time, but very excited about football and fall so Go Cards beat those Chargers and go Pack beat those Seahawks.

10. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

“I really enjoy all the guys who said he stunk coming out and should have been a tight end, they’re eating a lot of crow this week, so that’s fun,” Arians said with a smile.

Since Arians made that way too early statement about eating crow, he has gone;

11/ 28 for 94 yards and 0TDs with 2 INTs. That’s 39% comp ratio for those keeping score.
    including last nights,
    Logan Thomas 9/21 73yds 0TDs 1 pick in 4 quarters of play!

Oh and the argument that he had no receivers in college doesn’t fly, this team is loaded.

Since I have said Thomas’ issues are he is inconsistent from week to week, citing college games where he had a good game followed by 4 picks; Bruce, I have no idea what crow taste like.

11. By br in nc on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

JTDG
    I figured you if anyone would consider he has played what, a game and a half as a pro, nobody said he was going to come in and be Peyton Manning from day one, he is here to develop and Polish all that size and athleticism, got to have faith in BA, and his coaches, afterall you seem to be one of the most patient posters on here, now he gets to sit for a year and learn, soak it all up, and I’m confident we will see marked improvement next year.

12. By Dynosoar on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

br in nc,

“crap I’m at a loss for words ( never thought you guys would ever here that from me, now did you!!!!)”

No. No I didn’t. Now I’m at a loss for words and no one’s ever thought that of me either!

I’ve gotta look out the window and see if pigs are flying.

I liked to see Goodwin call his first game. This will give him a chance to improve as well as the players. Good call BA.

Georgiebird,

I liked your thoughts on Carson.

13. By br in nc on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

I can’t believe I actually agree with georgiebird as well (we haven’t exactly seen eye to eye on his past postings) but again, here in NC I get to see to much Panther football, but Kuechly is an awesome football player, I marveled at him when he was at BC (yes I also live in the heart of ACC country, so I’m doomed, both college and pro football, just can’t win out here in NC! I remember a lot of Panther fans hated LK pick at #9, but they have changed their tune now, of course none will admit that they thought it was a wasted pick!! LK is not the fastest, most agile, linebacker, not even close, he doesn’t have a ton of natural talent either, but what he has is heart, and smarts, very intelligent! He is a football player, not a natural athlete who plays football, but just one of the best pure football players! I have not seen much of Carson, but if he is one quarter of Keuchly, then I pray he clears waivers and we can get him on the Practice Squad, and by the start of next season we may have one of those UDFA Gems!!!

14. By K-Dub on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

Any chance we’ll be able to see the Frank Caliendo footage.

15. By Michael on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

Watching Deone Buchanan’s speed and the way he zeroes in on RBs and tackles with authority makes me think maybe the Cards might make better use of him at ILB till D-Wash gets back. Their other safeties have looked good enough, along with the strong corner duo to secure the secondary without Deone. Is that a crazy idea?

16. By br in nc on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

Michael
    Be careful, I suggested as a possibility the same suggestion, Due to the fact we had lost one of the best ILB duo’s in the NFL, when I posted the Ida (he played some LB in college), I pretty much took some laughs, and a ton of No’s, it just wasn’t feasible, now that he is playing LB (actually I labeled it as hybrid LB)here and there, for situational plays, not a whole lot of objections, ultimately he has to be are answer at SS, and concentrate at honing his skills at covering those pesky TE’s, that gave us huge headaches last year. Please don’t get me wrong, nobody was rude about the idea, I think they (as all Cardinal fans do) wanted to plug him in at SS to fill a key need, especially since he was a first round selection, which I’m in total agreement with, I was just throwing out temporary possible fixes, right after the Dwash suspension came down.

17. By jason on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

Georgiebird-

While the positive post is refreshing you have to be kidding me that you compared Carson to Kuechly.

Kuechly is super instinctive and athletic as well as a very intelligent player. He isn’t Rudy out there just getting by on his smarts and his heart. The guy was the DPOY last season not to mention a top 10 pick and one of the top performers at the combine.

18. By Ron B on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

Besides the play of Glenn Carson. I was also impressed by the active nose for the ball play of UDFA rookies Jonathan Brown, Bruce Gaston and Jimmy Legree.

When on the field Brown appeared to be involved in most plays.

The speed of someone as big as Gaston was unbelievable. He manhandled all that opposed him.

Legree displayed good cover skills.

All UDFA rookies played smart on the defensive side of the ball.

19. By br in nc on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

Ron B
    Man that is great to here Jonathon Brown was playing well, I just hope The Cardinals keep him around on the practice squad! That’s my man from my beloved FIGHTING ILLINI, that is so awesome to hear!! When the Cardinals first signed him I posted on here that he may have a shot at sticking around, of course there was some bias that played into that opinion, but I also truly believed at the time that he could make a good impression, haven’t seen a whole lot of press on him so this little bit is refreshing! Thank you!
    Any other Cardinal fans out their that actually get to see the preseason games, or spent some time at training camp, have any views or opinions on “the third. Brown” as in the UDFA LB out of ILLINOIS?? Has he shown enough to stay around on the practice squad at least?

20. By jeffrey deyoung on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

Ron bruce gaston as well is from illinois. Though he went to purdue. He played highschool football at st. Rita’s. And comes from glenwood illinois. Which is just south of chicago. So support him as well.

21. By Coach K on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

I don’t know what happened to Bradley Sowell this year, but he really looks bad. He seems lost on who to block in pass pro. I’m really surprised as I thought he would be competing for the starting right tackle spot. Sowell has really taken a step back and simply looks bad. Potter is not much better but his problem is lack of strength and size. Potter knows who to block but he is just light in the pants. I think both of them could be gone if a quality right tackle shows up on the radar.

Love the Glenn Carson kid. I hope he is retained. Logan Thomas has lots to learn. Holding the ball too long and staring down his primary receivers are his two biggest problems. If he can fix that, he should be fine in a few years.

Finally, I absolutely love our wide receiver group and our interior defensive line depth bolstered by Kelly and Sopoaga. I think we will be alright there. Inside linebacker is my only real concern. Palmer is going to have to carry this team on his arm it appears.

22. By br in nc on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

Coach K
    I am shocked as well with Sowell and his backslider from last year! I posted on here that he would slide over from LT to RT and pickup where he left off, wouldn’t even be a competition, RT was Sowell’s and that would help solidify what many thought was a huge weakness, our O-line. I just can’t see how going from LT to RT is that difficult (LT is the toughest position on the line, always thought RT was so much easier to plug someone into) in your opinion is making that slide to the other side that difficult? Or has Sowell just regressed?

23. By MikeinMesa on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

Whats with the Logan Thomas hysteria. He was playing with the 3rd and 4th string. Peyton Manning wouldn’t have had much chance back there. I still think he has potential. Didn’t the interception drill the receiver right in the chest? One reason I like reading your columns Darren is you seem to stay on an even keel. So many of the posters on here are reactionary to the latest thing that has happened. Overall there are some encouraging signs from preseason. If Palmer gets the time to throw in regular season like he did in preseason, I think we are looking at a maybe top 10 quarterback this year.

24. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

Darren, jason and Georgie,

Why did he pick Kuechly as a comparison for Carson?

Kuechly was the combines top performer on 40 yd dash, Vert jump, Broad Jump, 3 cone, 20 and 60 yd shuttles. He also did 27 reps on the bench.

What that tells me is he is a superior athlete who can run and jump, is strong and at 6’3″ and 245 pounds, he isn’t small either.

So, why didn’t you compare Carson to Singletary, who wasn’t the fastest or biggest but was very smart.

Am I wrong to assume there is another reason he is making the comparison and promoting Carson (the first LB Georgie has ever liked) vs usually complaining about our LBs Washington, Minter and last year, Dansby ?
    Interesting he assumes Carson is smart while saying;
    ” The defense is currently made up of anti-Carsons- guys with immense physical talent who make mental mistakes after mental mistakes”

No, I’ve got to be reading too much into this. Right?

25. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Comparison

I see where you are going and I certainly hope you are.

26. By br in nc on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

JTDG
    Kuechly has always had that unathletic moniker following him around, even his combine results were questioned, his top 10 selection was questioned, and quite a few of the so called experts say he is a step slow, and not a natural athlete, he seems to play a lot slower in pads is another that is used on him. Watching him now, and in college, he doesn’t blow me away with any freaky athletic moves, he just seems to be in the right place at the right time, and he doesn’t do anything fancy to get there, as a matter of fact, I had forgotten his excellent combine numbers until now, honestly watching (by force of course! LOL!) He seems to “lumber” around, out on the field, granted he limbers all over the field, and is always right where he needs to be, but I guess it is because he doesn’t seem to be smooth, or graceful in his movement, that and the local Carolina Panther announcers are constantly talking about how he has overcome his lack of athleticism, by being a lunch pail, intelligent football player, who is constantly breaking down hours and hours of film, its almost like they have made him a blue collar, slow, unathletic, “Rudy” type legend out here. As I remember his days at BC he had the same “tag” following him there as well. Kind of like he somehow got this “over achiever” tag put on him years ago, and it stuck, and has been kept alive to this day, as I have said, he kind of plays that way, or makes it look that he is playing that way, really can’t explain it, other than his style of play doesn’t match his combine numbers. He has become a legend out here in Panther land, that much I can tell you.

27. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

MikeinMesa

Go back and look and turn Wolfley off. The CB tips the ball, which is reflected to the safety. (thank God no more Wolfley during regular season) .The ball was late allowing the CB to recover.

Do you really think Peyton would be at 40% and 73 yds for 4 quarters against 3rd stringers? He had Jaron Brown, Britton Goldon, Walt Powell, Troy Nicklas, and Darren Fells on the field with him. All these guys have been praised all preseason and most will make the team.

His first 2 passes were to Nicklas for 23 yrds. That means he completed 7 of his next 26 passes for 50 yards. I don’t care how you spin it, that is bad.

Thomas is smart and has all the tools. He may fix his inaccuracies with this coaching staff. I just thought Arians comments about eating crow were very premature and reminded me of his declaration about Levi Brown and how Cooper will make multiple pro bowls.

Let’s just see them string together 5-6 games before we crown them.

28. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

correction;

7 of his last 19 passes for 50 yards

29. By t stone on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

I got some stats for ya all. 0-0

Tips the ball ) %, Nicklas 0 catches, Peyton Manning 0% Completions, 0 TD’s
    Carson Palmer 0 interceptions, 0 losses. Brown Brothers 0 catches and 0 TD’s.

None of that matters. Logan Who? He will be rooming with Stoney Case in about 3 years

Lets get it on.

Go Cards.

30. By Jason on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

Thomas: 22-40 55% 207 1-2 6 sacks

Kaepern: 24-50 48% 257 0-5 8 sacks

These are the stat lines for Logan Thomas’s preseason and Colin Kaepernick’s rookie preseason totals. Logan Thomas is a fourth round pick, third string developmental QB; can we stop debating him please. I hate that everyone has to run to their keyboard to rub the oppositions face in every time this kid has a good or poor game. If he doesn’t show improvement next preseason we can revisit the topic.

31. By georgiebird on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

@ John the Daft guy & Darren
    Direct quote from Drew Brees after Saints loss to Panthers. How dare Brees comment that Kuechly is “more athletic than you think”. Doesn’t Brees know that Kuechly was the most athletic LB at the Draft combine. What is Brees trying to say, Darren? Where is the outrage??

Said New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees after the Saints’ latest road failure that could keep the team from having a playoff game in a Superdome setting where the club is all but invincible: “He’s smart and quick, more athletic than you think, and he’s got great instincts. You can tell he studies the game like crazy.”

32. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

georgie —

RE: Brees

No outrage here. You can say whatever you want. But noticeable that you constantly rip the linebackers here, including a Pro Bowler like Washington, and gush over an undrafted guy who has barely played on this level.

Brees may have said that about Kuechly. You were the one bringing Glenn Carson into it.

33. By georgiebird on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

My views on Cardinals’ linebackers has not been positive. And no one has been able to refute what I’ve said given over 50 years of linebackers. Some people actually said that Ron McKinnon or Eric Hill was the greatest Cardinals LB of all time- it’s a snake bit position. DWash was a very good player who was a mismatch when teams wanted to run thru him.
    And John the Daft Guy made some insinuations that you agreed with.
    Point was that Keuchly is the best LB in football mainly because he’s always around the football (he’s not a sack master). Likewise, Carson’s strongest suit seems to be that he’s always around the football- he understands the flow of the game.
    In the 1960’s, the Giants’ had a TE named Bob Tucker who killed the Cardinals twice a year with very basic crossing routes. Fast forward 50 years and the Cardinals are still getting killed by TE’s.
    The one thing I wanted from BA was that he would improve our mental approach to the game. I respect BA if he feels that Carson just doesn’t have the tools to play in the NFL. But I feel Carson has a commodity that’s in short supply on the Cardinals defense.

34. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

jason,

I didn’t declare that everyone should eat crow after one good game then fall back on , He is a developmental QB . Fans and Coaches can’t have it both ways.

My comment was more about Arians declaration than Thomas’ poor games.

35. By CN Punk on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

Re: Logan Thomas – Yes he needs to be more accurate, but there were drops by recivers, and he was playing behind an offensive line that Carson would have had trouble doing anything with. That said even tho he has only been in this “ultra complex” offence for a short time, he is showing smart decisions with the ball, a calm when he is out there that some rookies just don’t have. He IS a project. So let us not judge him after one training camp/preaseason.

And as far as the LB debate, anyone can look good against 3rd and 4th stringers, there is a reason Carson was in the game and not Bishop or Minter. He is what he is, an undrafted rookie, looks like a PS candidate to me.

And yes, i believe we will be getting a waiver wire tackle to replace Sowell and the now injured Potter.

Enjoy the suspense of waiting to see how our 53+10 man roster gets filled out.
    CN Punk

36. By Coach K on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

br in nc

Sowell has looked so bad, I am betting if any tackle becomes available from Sunday’s cuts, the Cardinals will be taking a hard look at who is available. If not, don’t be surprised to see Starks resigned.

37. By br in nc on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

Couple of ILB ‘s cut yesterday, one is a name that I really liked his potential (believe I mentioned him back before the draft when I was researching small school and late round/UDFA’s possible hidden gems –
    Yawin Smallwood/UCONN -wonder if our Cards are still scouring the wire for ILB’s, or are the pretty much set and satisfied (yes I know, with BA & staff “satisfied” is probably a non-existant word) with the group we have?
    IMHO, if Shayne Skov & Yawin Smallwood are available we should snatch them up for the practice squad, any opinions?

If I remember correctly, SKOV is sort of a tweener who can play inside or outside, or was it outside only with pass rush skills that were eye popping?

Anyway, the other name (both cut by Falcons) is Pat Angerer, who was discussed on here as a possibility to sign before camp, looks like he didn’t impress to much in Atlanta.

Where is everyone? Is this like the calm before the storm? Haven’t seen a whole lot of posting on here, is everyone in shock, can’t believe the season is finally here, ALMOST!! I thought the old board would be buzzing since final cuts are today, guess everyone is recovering from celebrating last night.

38. By Coach K on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

Chicago just released Eben Britton, Right tackle who was a former 2nd round pick by Jacksonville out of U of A. This might be an option for Keim to consider adding depth to the offensive tackle spot. What do you think Darren?

39. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

Coach K —

RE: Britton

Anything is possible.

40. By William Barry on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

Carson at LB must make the team or the practice squad. He is always around the ball. Love that Niklas got some catches in week 4. Let us get him more involved. It will be interesting to see who makes the 53. As much as I liked Jay Feeley, his time is up. Cantazaro’s kickoffs were excellent. GO CARDS

41. By Buddy on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

Everybody keeps saying about how the Cardinals will need to be carried by offense because we lost our overrated defensive lineman, overrated mlb in dansby, the biggest loss is Washington by far, the other two are overrated. Everybody mentions how the Cardinals are going to go back to 2012 5-11 garbage team because of the players, but look at Seattle. It’s not the players so much as the system and Todd Bowles might be the best defensive coordinator in the NFL. This teams offense should be top ten, Palmer looks great with time and with our new line he’ll have nothing but time in the pocket. He can throw it to Ellington/Jamaal Charles, Fitz OR Floyd and they’d both go up and get it, or bomb it deep to Ted Ginn and John Brown. This offense is deep, and I still believe the defense will outplay them. It’s the scheme as everybody says with Seattle. In New England everybody was hurt even their waterboy, but their offense and defense still dominated and they went 12-4. You won’t be able to do much against the Arizona Cardinals in 2014. You can’t stop the run because we will just be able to throw it over top and Ellington is the leagues reigning rushing YPC leader, and only added on mass and strength. You can’t stop the pass because the Cardinals have the best wr group in the NFL in my opinion, and a qb when with time can be as accurate as they come. You can’t run on them because of the scheme, plus a little guy named Calias Campbell and Todd Bowles’ genius. You won’t be able to pass it on the Cardinals because of athletic ability alone, Cromartie still has it, Peterson is, in my opinion, the most athletic player in the NFL. Deone Bucannon can cover wr’s and lay out fb’s. And we all know about TM32. This Cardinals team can only get better, and beating the defending Superbowl champions in their home for the first time in two years is very, VERY good.

42. By Buddy on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

And BTW I’m part of the redsea, Card nation all the way baby. I love Darnell Dockett but he’s old now. I love Dansby (I bet Rodgers doesn’t) but he was mainly a product of the system. I’m not hating on any Cardinals, I love them all. Even Palmer, when he throws interceptions right to Navarro Bowman I still say shake it off you got it next time. I’m a believer of Logan Thomas as being a qb of his own right, bigger and stronger and faster than big Ben, but slower than Mike Vick or Cunningham, I believe one day he’ll be the new best qb that you compare qbs to, especially with the Cardinals WR group. RED SEA RISE UP!