Mathieu will tackle next week. Play? We’ll see

Posted by Darren Urban on August 29, 2014 – 1:41 pm

Rehabbing safety Tyrann Mathieu will tackle during the Cardinals’ one padded practice next week heading into the Sept. 8 season opener against the Chargers. Will he play? Coach Bruce Arians left that door cracked for now, but asked about his statement that Mathieu would have needed to play in Thursday’s game in order to play a week from Monday, Arians quickly said “I wasn’t kidding.”

Arians did chuckle as he said it. “We’ll see how he tackles, though.”

That’s the problem of this time of year, Arians said. Players like Mathieu, linebacker Kevin Minter and guard Jonathan Cooper need to put on pads and play football. “You really can’t do that this time of year,” Arians said.

Mathieu knew going into Thursday he wouldn’t be playing, and all the warmup with pants on was a ruse. “I was just teasing everybody,” he joked. As for the opener, “If the doctors, the trainers, (GM) Steve (Keim) and everybody comes together and think I should play and if it’s best for me, hopefully I can get out there,” Mathieu said.

Put me in the doubtful category, giving what everyone has been saying on the subject. First he has to tackle, and we will see who gets the honor of getting hit.

“That’s what practice squad is for,” Arians quipped.

– Arians did give a James Harrison update. The veteran linebacker met with the Cardinals Friday. “We’ll see what happens,” Arians said, confirming that yes, Harrison would bring a bit of the same attitude to the team lost when Darnell Dockett got hurt. UPDATE: Harrison apparently won’t be coming to Arizona.

MathieuSDblog

Tags: ,

33 Responses to “Mathieu will tackle next week. Play? We’ll see”

1. By krehbieo14 on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

The Cards cornerbacks and safeties are so strong and deep that there is no need to pressure the return of Tyrann.

2. By clssylssy on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

I like the way Coach BA is easing Tyrann back slowly and didn’t really think he would play him in the last preseason game. I look for him maybe a bit in the second game so that he’ll be back for the game with the 9ers but if he isn’t would rather error on the side of caution so that he can be at his previous form when he does come back. In the meantime, others will just have to take up the slack and play with purpose.

3. By Fred Garvin on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

Still do not like Harrison for what he did to the Cards in Super Bowl – changed a 14-10 Cards lead into 17-7 deficit. Still, I’d like to see him join us and play great.

4. By jeffgollin on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

If we decide to add Harrison or another LB, I’d expect us to keep 5 receivers instead of 6 and risk losing both Powell and Golden.

5. By Matt D on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

Looking forward to seeing 32 back on the field making plays, but no need to rush. No thanks on Harrison please. That wound is still deep and painful.

6. By clssylssy on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

Had a feeling Harrison would want more money than Arizona was willing to pay…too bad. We could have used Harrison.

7. By Scott H on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

Well, I guess play time is over. The next game counts and it’s time to bring the curtain up on this 2014 season. And I wish guys like Dockett and Washington were gonna be out there when it does, but…that hardly matters now. They won’t be and we have to hope Bowles can make adjustments to maximize the guys who WILL be out there. Can’t expect this defense to do what last year’s did. They may still do things very effectively but without the key personnel that led the D last year, this group will have to do it differently. Cromartie and Foote were NOT here last year, so their talents will actually ADD something to this defense, as will Bucannon and maybe even Tommy Harris. But we cannot lose any more key players. We lose anyone else for a season or any extended period of time….and it’s gonna start to be too much to overcome.

It suddenly occurs to me how much this season may ride on the arm of Carson Palmer. It would appear he has the talent around him ( EVERYWHERE around him ) to have the best season he’s had since….maybe ever! But his tendency to throw INT’s is there. He’ll throw for 4000 yards just by showing up. That’s not a problem. And he should be good for 28-32 TD’s with these weapons around him, maybe even more. Really, why NOT more??? But if he continues to have close to the same number of INT’s as TD’s….we’re just not gonna be where we need to be. I would have preferred a better performance from him in his last pre-season appearance, but it went the other way – just like that INT that went the other way!

On a positive note, the 49ers are gonna be without 2 key defensive players for most of the season, and THEY have not looked good during the pre-season. With the hits we have taken on D, I’ll take it!

8. By Timmy on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

Darren
    Is there any way that we can see the entire video for Frank Caliendo. That looks hilarious.

9. By br in nc on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

Something told me when I saw how much the Bengals paid him last year I figured there may be a hangups, posted there was no way SK would go that high on his contract

10. By br in nc on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

According to “sources at least these names have leaked out as being cut by the Cardinals
    Marcus Bernard
    Jalen Parmele
    Bryan McCann
    Isaac Sopoaga

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2014 | Reply

Timmy –

RE: Caliendo

That’s all there’s going to be.

12. By br in nc on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

Looks like Shaun’s Smog will be odd man out in SF, wasn’t he supposed to be a day 2 ILB pick in the draft?? He eventually went undrafted, I wonder what is going on with Smog, injuries?
    Also, for the life of me I can’t remember the poster who mentioned the Rams and E. Westbrook, M. Sam roster battle, but scuttlebutt is quite a few teams are hovering over the waiver wire wanting to snatch whichever one gets cut, it seems M. Sam has played his way onto an NFL roster whether it is the Rams or not remains to be seen. Someone posted we should bring in E. Westbeook for a look, if the Rams cut him, what if they cut M. Sam (they seem to be neck and neck, in the race to remain a Ram, so talent being fairly equal, do anyone that thought E. Westbrook was worth a look, what about M. Sam, worth a look?

13. By br in nc on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

Once again..autocorrect has burned me (one of these days I will learn to check the “names” before I hit “post”!!

*****should read SHAYNE SKOV not SHAUN SMOG*****

14. By clssylssy on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

@Matt D…you should note that BA was also a part of that Steeler team and proudly wears his ring (as he has the right for earning). I guess there are those who might consider that “rubbing salt in the wound” but my feelings is that if their loss is our gain and it will get us a Lombardi, who cares?

15. By clssylssy on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

While I know we are trying to keep guys, the Eagles cut a DE who might be worth pursuing down the line. Alejandro Villanueva was the 6’9″ free agent from West Point (and former Army Ranger) who had 5 tackles, 1 assist and a sack in preseason. With some good coaching and experience he might prove a good investment. The 25-year-old veteran of Afganistan, has proven (to me at least) that he has some of “the right stuff” lacking in the NFL today. Do you know if the Cards have ever given him even a casual “look see”?

16. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

bc in nc,

I liked Westbrooks and said take a look at who gets cut. I think Westbrooks might be the guy because they were trying him as a DT in the last game to see if his quickness would work there.

I think Sam stays for two reasons. One, he has played well. Two, how can the rams cut him after his good play this summer and not face the wrath of the gay community.

But to answer your question, Yes, I would grab Sam. We need an edge rusher and he showed a burst. I do not think he is a OLB. So he would just come in on passing downs.

As for Skov, he is a two down LB. He is slow and weak in coverage. If I am right, he was injured also. Maybe SF might try to get him on their PS and see if he can rebound next year. I also think SF draft Borland , who has played well this preseason.

17. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

Eric Winston released, Cards need a back up at OT. Can he play left side too?

18. By Scott H on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

I am seeing that Kevin Vickerson has been released by the Broncos. He is described as a “run-stuffer” and I’m thinking maybe we could use another one of those….

19. By br in nc on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

James Harrison retired today. Guess him not signing with the Cardinals had nothing to do with money or length of contract. He said his love for his family outweighed his love for the game, and that he was tired of missing birthdays and first day of school dad duties. Best of luck, enjoy your retirement JH!

That end of the half 100 yard int return still makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it, but if he could have made positive contributions to this years run to the Super Bowl, I sure could have overlooked that play while he was in Cardinal red! Not sure how much he had left in the tank though.

20. By clssylssy on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

Any possibility of the Cards bringing back Eric Winston? He knows the scheme and might be signed at a bargain price. While the 0-line is improved, it doesn’t appear to have much depth…just say’n sometimes a bird in the hand, etc.

21. By br in nc on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

Broncos cut veteran DT Kevin Vickerson. He is 6-5 and pushing 330 pounds!! That is a mountain of a man! Looks like a cap casualty, lot of Bronco fans pissed about this move, though he did have a hip injury last year that landed him on IR for the last 4-6 games, or somewhere around there.

Yes, I’am totally bored, just waiting for the Cardinals to release their final cuts!! Then I can get out of bed and start my day, crap, nevermind college football is on all day and into the night, time to lock my bedroom door, after I throw my 17 year old son $20 to occupy him for the rest of the day!! LOL!! (Totally serious about room lockdown though!)

22. By Dr. G. on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

br – - Once again on the auto-correct!!! Find a 10-year-old to show you how to turn it off… probably under “settings.” Good luck… I feel your pain with how much you write.

Now…Anxious to see the temp finale on our 53. All NFL team’s staffs must be on pins and needles knowing that by 4PM, 1PM Arizona time….there will be over 700 player cuts to review…some that merit playing somewhere…. And!!! They’re OFF!!! The mad scramble begins…. Be well Cards Fans….

23. By br in nc on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

Ok folks, I realize this is like post #9999 for me today, please bear with me!!
    Two things going down right now, #1 I got “the” call putting us on 24 hour recall alert, so the adrenaline is pumping pretty darn hard and fast right now!
    #2 I just read that the “CBA” only allows 14 total practices in pads for the whole Dang season!! I’am totally dumbfounded, it has to be a misprint, that is not even 1 full pads practice a week! I realize these guys in the NFL are at the top of the mountain, cream of the crop, but come on, how is anyone supposed to improve without full contact practice? If that # is correct then I’m doing a quick SWAG (scientific wild azz guess) that NFL players only have a total of maybe 35-40 practices (in pads) for the whole Dang calendar year?? That is just crazy, especially with the amount of money being doled out in these astronomical contracts!! Sure does explain all the season ending injuries!! Can someone confirm this information??
    Back to #1, the rambling and babbling may sneak back up on me (not that it has went to far away, but I have been making an honest effort to keep my posts shorter than normal) once again I do apologize in advance. Stress levels, blood pressure, and all that other cool stuff tend to rise rapidly, no matter how many times I’ve been in this situation! I just keep thinking about the young Marines that are on their first cycle, going through this for the first time, and think to myself that it could be worse and I could be in their shoes (actually, combat boots).
    Maybe I will try Lamaze classes!! LOL!

24. By Martin on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

Hey derran will that card’s consider of picking up Sam, and would he fit the scheme.

25. By cards62 on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

You are not kidding under wraps. 5:30 EST and NFl.COM still does not have anything on our cuts.

Eric Winston cut by the Seahawks so what do you think Cardinal Nation?
    Is Bobbie M. the man or should we go shopping?

Loved the Coach Frank Caliendo video. I think this was a great present for the players. Who’s idea was this ?

Go Cards beat the Chargers

26. By CN Punk on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

If we are talking about LBs and the defence, i really wonder if Arians give Angerer a look now that he has been released and given how he likes to bring in guys he is familiar with and are familiar with him and his system. I don’t know what he has left in the tank, i just know i remember reading some people suggest him during free agencey. I am very much looking forward to Keim time! GM of the year for a reason!

27. By NJAzCardsFan on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

Darren, any guesses/projections on the Practice Squad…???

28. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

NJAz –

RE: PS

29. By br in nc on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

Clssylssy
    That player/army ranger is also a silver star recipient for pulling wounded soldiers out under heavy enemy fire! He played quite a few positions at west point on both sides of the ball. He has multiple combat tours under his belt, but felt he had to try and pursue an NFL career. I will say this, i dont care if he never makes an NFL roster or practice squad, I hope he never feels like he failed to prove any naysayers wrong, he doesn’t have to prove anything to anybody, he is a combat veteran, and an American Hero, who I would place on a higher pedastal than any professional football player, or professional athlete.

30. By clssylssy on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

@br…I believe you totally misunderstood me if you think I meant he had anything to prove? I am familiar with the skillset he brings as an NFL player and am proud to see that the Steelers have signed him to their practice squad. Who knows, given some time developing under Tomlin and Todd Haley,at some point he might make the 53! Rangers Lead the Way:)
    As for all the players who were cut, even if they are not picked up, they have had the privilege of an experience most never get, and will have a life full of memories and stories to tell their grandchildren…not the worst thing that can happen plus they now can get on with their lives, having scratched the “itch” to make the NFL!

31. By br in nc on Sep 4, 2014 | Reply

Clssylssy,
    No not at all coast…I was talking about him, he is the one that “feels. Like he has something to prove” I read a pretty good size article on him, although I already knew who he was, ( a 6-9. Army Ranger (or any 6-9 service member) tends to stick out like a sore thumb! LOL!! In no way was I saying that you actually thought he had something to prove, or that he didn’t prove himself in Combat, sorry for the misunderstanding. As to your point about the players who never make it past training camp and the “preverbial cup of coffee” with an NFL team, you are 100% correct, they have something to tell the grandchildren that 99% of us can never at least truthfully do, just getting an invite to an NFL training camp means you have nothing further to prove, you are considered (at least in my book) an elite athlete! Again, sorry my post was unclear, but I was totally trying to point out that the Ranger should not for a second fell like he must prove himself to anyone, I know he realizes it, but if I could talk to him face to face ( or face to mid chest!! That’s a tall dude!! LOL!) I would try and emphasize to him that football is a game, albeit a violent game, especially at the NFL level, Combat is no game, not even close, I would make sure he understands (which, like I said I’m sure he does) that he has proved himself far beyond making any NFL team, at least in my book, he needs to hold his head high! Hell, I think the NFL needs to exempt a roster spot for him, in other words you put I’m on the active roster and he doesn’t count against the 53 man count, I think it would be good for business, as well, it would put a much better face on the NFL, seems like every team in the league. has 3-4 players in trouble, or suspended for doing illegal crap! I would be willing to bet if you took all these players that are suspended for wife beating, smoking the devils lettuce, juicing, or just being want to be thugs, and get multiple felony gun charges! Part of their punishment would be a 6 month pump to good old Afghanistan (and I’m talking a combat unit, holed up in a combat out post or forward operating base) I can assure you they would realize how damn lucky they are, and a lot of this behavior would go away! Not all, you are still going to have your 10% that will never learn, but if a “vacation” over their doesn’t fix them, they are beyond fixing, and need to be banned for life if the offend again, no appeal to be reinstated after 1 year crap, life means life in my book! Here I go again rambling on and on…sorry, will endmy novel now!

2. Aug 29, 2014: Arizona Cardinals Rumors: Tyrann Mathieu cleared to tackle in practice - FanSided - Sports News, Entertainment, Lifestyle & Technology - 280+ Sites
  3. Aug 29, 2014: Arizona Cardinals Rumors: Tyrann Mathieu cleared to tackle in practice - Distinct Athlete