“Final” cuts aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on August 30, 2014 – 6:29 pm

It’s tough to fully analyze the Cardinals’ roster right now after the initial moves to get to a 53-man roster. Waiver claims come through Sunday, and really, the surprise will be if the Cardinals don’t claim one or two players — which would mean they would have to cut the corresponding amount from the 53. So a guy could have made the team today and  be off by tomorrow. Yes, it’s a rough, rough business.

Surprises? Nothing of note. I had different picks for my 53, before the final preseason game. I managed to hit on the offense. They kept only four cornerbacks — I had Bryan McCann as a fifth — and the linebackers as I thought were a problem for me. I had Desmond Bishop and Glenn Carson cut, and Marcus Benard in. Wrong. But as we go forward, what to expect?

There are six wide receivers for now, but as Bruce Arians said, the bottom five on the roster shouldn’t be comfortable because the potential for change is constant. Walt Powell could easily slide on the practice squad at some point. So too could Carson, if the Cardinals don’t need a fifth inside linebacker. Is another backup tackle possible? Could Max Starks come back like Arians said he might? I suppose the one surprise is the fact the Cardinals only have eight defensive backs, given that Tyrann Mathieu’s status is so up in the air. But I believe Teddy Williams is practice-squad eligible and I don’t know if McCann is going to get picked up anywhere anyways.

The practice squad will be 10 strong now, don’t forget, with the potential of a couple of veterans. So maybe the Cards keep WR Brittan Golden if he isn’t claimed, and other potential practice-squad guys would be defensive tackle Bruce Gaston, interior offensive lineman Anthony Steen and tight end Andre Hardy. I’d think there also could be a couple of outside guys come in for the practice squad too.

This isn’t over yet.

– A quick note: Veteran LB James Harrison retired today. So that’s no longer an option.

53bloguse

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to ““Final” cuts aftermath”

1. By Mark in Chandler on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

At the risk of blowing my own horn, I nailed every pick except I had Alexander being cut and Bernard being kept. I still think he played better than Alexander both as an OLB and on special teams.

Stowell is on the team because Potter was hurt. Neither played well enough to make the team. I expect the Cards to claim an OT off of waivers. Looking over the list there are 3-4 tackles out there worth claiming that are better than Stowell. (And no, Winston is not on my list and neither is Starks. Winston is only a RT and Starks is done with football- his brain just hasn’t realized it).

I think Powell may still be PS bound if there is someone who the team really is high on off waivers.

I would look at Hardy, Golden, Gaston, T. Williams to be priorities for PS. Maybe J. Brown (the ILB not one of the receivers). Other than those names, I expect the Cards to look to convince others who clear waivers to come to AZ to fill PS. The bottom of the Cards names from camp are not worth keeping on PS.

I think they feel good with the 8 DBs. Other than PP, Cro, and Bethel, the other 5 can play multiple positions so there is a lot of flexibility. As unlikely as it sounds, I think All 8 may be active on game day because they all are good enough and need to be on the field somewhere.

2. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

Trust we’ll not be told why the delay in release, but speculation is a trade that required League approval fell through (a rumor I’m spreading, lol). I think Keim and BA did a fine job, they parsed some tough choices.

I’ll miss this bunch of cuts, very fine group of young men. In the end (as of tonight), our biggest weak spot is backup left T, not good, but not horrible, if its your weakest link. Sowell is a tough kid but has not won that job; Starks is out of shape and hurt. If the message to Starks was get yer butt in the gym 5 hours a day, push back from the trough, lose the gut and come back more nimble, then Starks could/should be the answer after the Bye. From what we know of BA, might be a good guess as to the conversation.

Ready for MNF? Me too.

3. By krehbieo14 on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

As Yogi said, “it ain’t over ’till it’s over!” Hopefully, we can find a gem off the waiver wire. Maybe we’ll find a more solid, flexible OL, another ILB or pass rusher. Tough to find, but maybe we’ll get lucky.

4. By cards4life#93 on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren
    any opinion/word on wether the cards might be considering kevin vickerson, does he fit our scheme dont honesty know a lot about the guy any information would be appreciated thank you!

5. By Coach K on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

I expect many more changes to come. Especially at Right Tackle. I have a feeling Sowell is on a short leash. I also could see Max Starks back a few weeks from now. What do you think?

6. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

cards4 —

RE: Vickerson

No idea.

7. By Sean on Aug 30, 2014 | Reply

Any word on whether Max Hall is available?

8. By jwoodaz on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

9 days is room for a lot of change on this list..

9. By louis on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

i don’t like the cards what they did in preseason to me it doesn’t look good this year.

10. By clssylssy on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

I would say, it is what it is, and that this is the “tentative 53″, I see the Saints kept 9 linebackers and look to have gotten serious about their defense (probably after being so embarrassed by the Seahawks) as have other playoff teams, so I’m hopeful Keim can bring in some heavy duty help for the defense as well as the 0-line depth.

11. By br in nc on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

Krehbieo14,speaking of an unpolished gem (possible, that is) take a look at Yawin Smallwood/UCONN, cut by Atlanta, something tells me that he is worth a look, nothing other than a gut feeling, I did bring his name up before the draft, as a possible late round draft pick or undrafted free agent, this was right after D-wash got suspended and we were hurting for LB’s pretty bad, but I still think he is worth a look or practice squad spot if we can get the claim on him. I think, but not positive, the worse your record the higher priority you have claiming players, just like claiming off waivers during the regular season.

12. By br in nc on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

Mark in Chandler
    Can you post the Tackles names that you think are possibly worth a look? I just want to do some reading up on them, what little bit of reading about the league wide cuts I did last night no tackles really jumped out at me, if there are some that you think are interesting please share sir.

13. By Dynosoar on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

I recall Detroit Lions 4-0 in pre-season a few years back, they were 0-16 that season.

I also recall New England Patriots were 0-4 in pre-season and ended the year 16-0 on there way to only one loss (granted, that loss was a Super Bowl loss.)

I’d have loved to be 4-0 in pre-season, but I’d much rather have a record that allows us home field advantage throughout the playoffs and the Super Bowl.

14. By redhawk1960 on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

Bruce gaston picked up on waivers by the Patriots and will be on the 53 man roster. Cardinals should of put him on the 53 man roster

15. By Sergio on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

Let’s get it started! & then actually say what we can/will say what we really have. But positively, we’s a bad team!! GO CARDINALS !!

16. By Mark in Seattle on Sep 1, 2014 | Reply

James Harrison is my all-time least favorite player. Hope he stays retired and has arthritis and chronic back pain as retribution for all the unnecessary cruelty he exerted on defenseless players throughout his career..

17. By Scott H on Sep 1, 2014 | Reply

Harrison retires….geez, I guess he took the Cardinals not wanting him pretty hard….