Cards claim linebacker Keiser, cut Powell

Posted by Darren Urban on August 31, 2014 – 2:07 pm

The Cardinals got a player on waivers, claiming outside linebacker Thomas Keiser. Keiser was just released by San Diego – a team that just happens to be the Cards’ opponent for the opening game. To make room for Keiser, the Cardinals cut wide receiver Walt Powell. Powell now becomes a likely practice-squad addition.

It takes the Cards down to five wide receivers, but they now have 11 linebackers on the roster. That’s a healthy amount. That may be the only waiver addition by now. It doesn’t mean the Cardinals didn’t try to claim others, but right now, the waiver claim order is based on draft order, and at 20, there are a lot of teams players must get past before the Cardinals would be able to get them.

Keiser came in as an undrafted free agent with the Panthers in 2011 and has nine sacks in his career. The Stanford product (6-4, 260) forced a Logan Thomas fumble in Thursday’s preseason game.

The Cardinals also signed six to their 10-man practice squad: C/G Anthony Steen, T Kelvin Palmer, CB Jimmy Legree, LB Jonathan Brown, WR Brittan Golden and TE Andre Hardy.

UPDATE: In terms of ex-Cardinals, defensive tackle Bruce Gaston, who was a player the Cardinals would have liked on the practice squad, was claimed by the Patriots, where he will go right on to the 53-man roster. Quarterback Ryan Lindley landed on the Chargers’ practice squad, thanks to the new “veteran” exceptions.

Thomas Keiser, Micah Hatfield

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

31 Responses to “Cards claim linebacker Keiser, cut Powell”

1. By much.faster on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

and lindley signed with the chargers. that will hurt.

2. By LadyBird04 on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

San Diego claimed Lindley – I guess they wanted a Card before next weeks game. Wonder if Powell will make it through waivers, or is he still eligible being cut today and not yesterday?

3. By Andy Kw on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

Surprise move

4. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

Keiser, Carson, Demens, Bishop post rehab… to back up Minter and Foote, Keim just might catch lightning in a bottle again. One of those guys might end up brilliantly. Keim, what a keen judge of talent.

Btw, 11 LBs implies Minter might not heal, might be headed to IR? Minter could be very good, would be too bad if he can’t heal. He was not physically ready Thursday.

LTs hard to come by, even backups, no surprise we couldn’t find one … yet. The backup, backup plan is Sowell with RB or TE (Hughes or Niklas) chipping over his shoulder again this year.lAso not a great solution but not unmanageable. Veldheer just might be Iron Man, so there’s that too.

Empty Sunday with no football ;) Go Cards.

5. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

Ooops, guess Keiser is OLB. Still, might be nice grab.

6. By Ron Newman on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

The Cardinals picked up a solid player who can get to the QB. 4.5 sacks in limited playing time, he doesnt replace a Dansby or Washington but he is excelleny on passing downs. Put it this way he was 3rd in sacks on a Chargers team that lost its 3 best rushing OLBs to injury. Chargers should’ve kept this guy.

7. By Colt on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

um why is everyone thumbs downing patricks comments haha. i agree though out of all those guys i could see atleast one stepping up and being a great role player for this team, people might say wide reciever is our strong suit, I would say its our front office, KEIM FOR MVP 2015

8. By Cards Girl on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

I noted also that Dallas put Ryan Matthews on their practice squad. Hope he does well.

Want to bet that the Chargers release Lindley after Monday Night Football? I hope they are not just using him to get the dope on the Cards.

9. By Steve on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

This guy Keiser has a bit of a mean streak, got into a bar fight last year while with San Diego and plays with an attitude, I like that. This was a good value pickup.

10. By hminus on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

Knew letting Gaston get away was a mistake,…and whats Potters story Darren,how bad was his shoulder injury that they kept Sowell,[alias:"chip block",] instead?

11. By shannon robinson on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

I am so pleased with the Semi-Final 53! My favorite UDFA this year was Glenn Carson and I was delighted tracking his play against the Chargers. I welcome the addition of Thomas Keiser to the defense. As a rugby coach I believe in a racial mix on my teams that I have to actively recruit. Not many African Americans play in Division I Women’s rugby unless you ask them to play. Seek and yea shall find. The same is true with Polynesians – when you have two or three Islanders on your team, everybody gets tougher. I’d hope Christian Tupou gets added to the practice squad which would make us the most popular pro football team in Utah! Dr. G must be happy we have Illinois star on our practice squad : Jonathan Brown! I think Mr. Keim might have struck gold with Carson and Brown who were projected to be drafted. We’ve all got to be proud of Gaston who’s now an NFL player – a tip of the Cardinal Wing to Bruce. By far this is the most talented practice squad we’ve ever had. Steen is Keim’s steal from this draft – a guy who I think will take over for Senlein someday. Let’s pray we get Powell through the wire. Congrats to Mr. Lindley who gets to go home to SD and be a Charger!

12. By BigAl on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

By Cards Girl ?
    Were you meaning Ryan Williams? I realize you had San Diego on your mind? ah? You might be right about that MNF/Lindley deal? It reminds me of something
    B. Belicek would do!
    I knew Bruce Gaston would not get thru ww! Darn it! He has potential! These calls & cuts are tuf! At least some vets can now go on ps…
    Thank You!

13. By Coach K on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

I hope we can grab Powell for the practice squad. Has lots of potential. Hopefully Cleveland won’t steal him.

14. By redhawk1960 on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

Ive been saying it all along gaston should of been kept on the 53 man roster. He is a horse young and big and very fast for his size. Im still in shock he went undrafted. Big mistake ny not keeping him they need some healthy backups on the defense line

15. By CreditCard on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

11 linebackers tells me there must be question on how much is left in some of our veterans, Alexander, Foote, and Abraham. I was not impressed with Alexander’s preseason play, and the limited amount that Abraham played, he too looked slow and out of shape.

16. By Murf on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

Cards pick up Charger player, Charger player- all about week 1 intel.

17. By br in nc on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

Shannon Robinson
    I’am absolutely ecstatic that J. Brown made the practice squad, die hard ILLINI fan, born & raised!!! And I hope he develops into a solid contributor and possible active roster next season!!

18. By UK Cards Fan on Aug 31, 2014 | Reply

Happy birthday Darren! Had to sneak that in before midnight. Thanks for all the awesome info you bring us here and on twitter, hope you had a fantastic day.

19. By clssylssy on Sep 1, 2014 | Reply

While I realize we have to take our turn at 20 and have probably been beat out by some other teams able to take advantage of their position, it really doesn’t seem like Steve Keim has been as aggressive as previously in finding us the “difference makers” to beef up our defense and depth at 0-line. We have a lot of talent on this team in terms of potential but overall, every team we are playing this year is also improved, so just being a talented group of YOUNG players isn’t going to get us where we want to be in February. For years it’s been either offense or defense that’s has been our strength but we have lacked an evenness on both sides of the ball that you see with teams making the playoffs year-after-year. The time is now!
    This year we protect the nest and NO HOME LOSSES!

20. By cardsalltheway on Sep 1, 2014 | Reply

The offense will have to show up big every game this year to give our D a chance/rest. The best Defense is a good Offense. Now if I may turn to Ryan Williams who made the Dallas Cowboys practice squad. How did he do this preseason? You can see and hear him play/talk below…

The Cowboys only kept 3 RB’s on the roster. I give Ryan Williams credit for working his tail off. It just takes a while to come back from serious/major/knife cutting knee injuries.
    Williams: I Don’t Get A Lot Of Reps In Practice August 26th

Running back Ryan Williams talks about his big game against the Dolphins, and why he enjoys playing football. Posted: Aug 23, 2014

Aug. 16th after playing/running hard in the 4th quarter.

21. By toddcard on Sep 1, 2014 | Reply

22. By toddcard on Sep 1, 2014 | Reply

…and one other AZ/san diego connected story from the day…http://arizonasports.com/44/1763066/WAIVED

23. By Cards Girl on Sep 1, 2014 | Reply

It appears that every team except the Cards has a full or nearly full practice squad. At 6 players, the Cards have the lfewest. Does this mean that they are working on something special or that they have not been able to sign the guys they wanted because someone else picked them up? I am still mourning Gaston and what about Powell?

24. By clssylssy on Sep 1, 2014 | Reply

Really hated to see Walt Powell claimed by Jets, was hoping to be able to get him back on the practice squad.

25. By Andy Kw on Sep 1, 2014 | Reply

This was a really dumb move by releasing Walt Powell. We have OLBs and Keiser was so unnecessary

26. By BigAl on Sep 1, 2014 | Reply

By clssylssy
    You stated that… “it really doesn’t seem like Steve Keim has been as aggressive as previously in finding us the “difference makers” to beef up our defense and depth at 0-line.”
    Clssy…
    This team is so much deeper than it has ever been!!! However, because we have to adjust & back-up some recent injuries & circumstances…(ie we now have 11 linebackers…) We’ve already lost Powell & Gaston in order to compensate!!! These two players may be next year Diamonds…we simply don’t have space w/the current issues… As has been repeated here…people are now wondering about the long term health of K. Minter as well as the age of some of these LB’s…
    I mean they still have a few ps spots…however, I’m not sure how many veteran
    positions are going to be available as they fill in the 10.
    So, who/what difference makers do you think are still out there that would be worth cutting a roster player for or dropping someone to the ps squad either way?

Is there a complete list of all available cut players? I’d like to see it?

You mentioned depth @ O-Line…
    I’ll say this, at the swing T position…I think I’d rather have Eric Winston back, than
    Bradley Sowell at this point…At least he should come cheap now…& he might know a thing or two about Seattle’s O scheme…

But seriously who can we afford to put on the ps if a found diamond in the rough were found??? Diamond would still have to be in Carbon form…
    Anyhow, you can bet the Keim trust is scouring the lists!
    Remain confident in this front office! They’re good @ this!

27. By br in nc on Sep 1, 2014 | Reply

I so hoped Powell would sneak through waiver wire!! But was pretty sure some team was going to claim him, some of the teams (ie…Jets) don’t have near as strong of a WR room as we do. But you have to be happy for Powell, (I’m selfishly upset that he was claimed, would haveloved to have him on practice squad for depth in case of injury) but I’m also happy for Walt Powell, I’m thinking if he is given a shot on the Jets, he will be their #3 or #4 WR by mid season, he was very very impressive for our Cardinals, we just have an outstanding WR room, and SK&BA figured we needed depth at LB and added pass rush skills. I sticking with my motto. In BA&SK WE TRUST!

28. By Cards Girl on Sep 2, 2014 | Reply

Thanks, Big Al, you were right–I did mean Ryan Williams. My mistake.

29. By Chuck 1 on Sep 2, 2014 | Reply

It’s only a matter of time before Keiser gets into trouble with the law.
    Another off-the-rail NFL player.

30. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Sep 2, 2014 | Reply

Agree, might regret loss of Gaston and Powell later (heck, I regret it now:). But Keim playing for SB this year, wanted “pieces” like Tommy Kelly and Keisler… understood.. lets hope he’s right. I’m not one to question, rhrn. Go Keim GO…

31. By BigAl on Sep 2, 2014 | Reply

To all who mentioned speculation about SD acquiring R Lindley…
    Just saw on the header page of my fantasy league…Long time AP Sports Writer
    Bob Baum writes article titled…”Cardinals know QB Lindley tipping off Chargers”

It states, “The Cardinals are downplaying it, but there’s no doubt that the SD Chargers have a practice squad QB with a whole lot of information about Arizona
    coach Bruce Arian’s team.”
    Goes on to say Lindley spent all of last season & this year’s preseason with the Cardinals, just being cut last week…Arian’s is well aware that Lindley can provide some knowledge of the coach’s system being that he had the playbook for 18 months!
    Ouch!