Keim: Roster could still change this week

Posted by Darren Urban on September 2, 2014 – 8:09 am

General Manager Steve Keim is still looking at his roster. That can’t be a surprise. He said this morning during his weekly appearance on Arizona Sports’ “Doug and Wolf” show that the Cardinals will bring in “four or five” tryout players on Wednesday — this week’s “Tuesday,” given the Monday night opener next week — to see if any are worth signing. That thing about none of the bottom five guys on the roster getting comfortable? That’s serious reality.

— Keim acknowledged it’s a little bit of a concern there are only eight offensive linemen on the roster, but that’s what the Cardinals have right now. Nate Potter hurt his shoulder so there was really no choice but to keep Bradley Sowell. Interestingly, Keim said the Cardinals will begin trying Earl Watford at right tackle a little bit and see if he can be a help there as well as both guard positions. This is a big year for Watford. At some point, the Cards are going to want to see him step forward when he gets a chance.

— It sounds like one of the roster spots came down to sixth-round pick wide receiver Walt Powell and undrafted linebacker Glenn Carson. Carson is on the roster; Powell made it for a day and then when the Cardinals claimed outside linebacker Thomas Keiser, Powell was cut. He did not make it through waivers, getting claimed by the Jets. “There was a time when Walt Powell did a few nice things (in camp), but when we looked at Glenn versus Walt, we felt Glenn outperformed him and earned a spot on this team,” Keim said.

— Keim was happy to be able to get Keiser, who provides a natural pass rusher, “one thing I felt we were missing.” That speaks again to the concern about individual pass rush ability (although Keim said he is happy where John Abraham is going into the season.) The Keiser move was long hoped for, as Keim said he had been targeted for a long time if he was released by San Diego. The Cards did not get him just for Chargers’ intel going into the opener, Keim said, and Keim added that he doesn’t think the Chargers — who only carry two quarterbacks on the 53-man roster — signed Ryan Lindley to the practice squad for such purposes either. The Chargers’ QB coach is Frank Reich, who had been on the Cards’ staff with Lindley.

— Only eight defensive backs is no big deal, Keim said, because of how versatile the eight guys are. Tyrann Mathieu, as noted last week, will get some contact this week and it’s stil a we’ll-see situation for Mathieu in the opener.

— Some teams see the practice squad for just practice help but Keim said he sees the practice squad as a developmental extension of the roster, for guys who can eventually get on and help with the 53. Keep that in mind when you see who is put there. The final four PS names should be released soon.

Tags: , , , , ,

20 Responses to “Keim: Roster could still change this week”

1. By Steve on Sep 2, 2014 | Reply

Darren: Do you see Keiser being primarily a 3rd down pass rush specialist for now or a guy who could compete for more playing time?

2. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2014 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Keiser

No idea. Honestly, never heard of the guy before the claim. Let’s see him on the field.

3. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 2, 2014 | Reply

Well, you also have to look at the vets salary.

If you sign a vet this week, their salary is guaranteed. If you sign him next week, it is not guaranteed.

I expect some moves next week, looking at some vets for depth. Maybe Kevin Vickerson.

As for rookies, Adrian Hubbard was a guy Coach Buckner worked out before draft and was believed to really like him. He was drafted by the Pack and had 2 sacks this preseason as an OLB. Got to wonder if they have looked or are looking at him.

With the cards picking up Keiser (the video sure makes him look like someone I dont want- And getting mad cuz his drunk dad was cut off? wow ). I doubt they take another young OLB like Hubbard (who has issues off the field also)

4. By D on Sep 2, 2014 | Reply

Also a big year for Acho and Okafor if they really needed another OLB from the waiver wire…

The positive so far in the division is how big a mess up SF, their defense will be a patchwork for a good portion of the season..Harbaugh will be wishing he had that Brown job by midseason…

5. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Sep 2, 2014 | Reply

“Keiser move was long hoped for, as Keim said he had been targeted for a long time”.. why I like Keim. Plus Kesier might learn some Zen anger management/maturity from steady vets on this D, like this get …

6. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Sep 2, 2014 | Reply

Seems like Keim moves mirror NEs pattern over time? Been a winning strategy;)

7. By David on Sep 2, 2014 | Reply

Darren, I know we didn’t keep Winston this offseason, but he was released by the Seahawks. I feel that he would be a much better option than Sowell and Potter if the price is right once again. He knows the offense and would be a good backup. I know that the Cardinals moved on but still.

8. By ryan on Sep 2, 2014 | Reply

6 days til kickoff! this is the year of the RED BIRD!

9. By Jim McFetridge on Sep 2, 2014 | Reply

I too hope we pick up Winston. he did a good job last year & knows the offense. Hopefully, he is injury free & we know he is a good citizen & his mature attitude will help keep the younger players focused & out of trouble. We need to stay away from the bad boys. The 49ers will pay the price this year for not paying enough attention to “character” when selecting their players.

10. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Sep 2, 2014 | Reply

Winston a post Week 1 signing? (so not guaranteed for year)

11. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2014 | Reply

DTL (and all) —

RE: Winston

I do not expect Winston back. If anyone, I’d think Starks could come back. But I suppose I’d never say never.

12. By br in nc on Sep 2, 2014 | Reply

If (and I agree with Darren, that Winston is a pretty big if) but if Winston were brought back I’am convinced it will be after the “guaranteed money” contract turns to the “non guaranteed money” just as with Starks, both are veterans who have seen better days, (again look at what Starks did for San Diego last year, next to nothing in only 2 games) I realize a change of scenery sometimes does a player good, I just don’t think Starks has anything left in the tank, and is injury prone himself. Please remember when the chips were down and the Cardinals needed a new left tackle, Sowell, with next to no experience was thrown into a huge fire, and came through more than any of us could have suspected, myself included, the only thing Sowell had going for him (at least with me) was BA had coached him (either directly or indirectly ) in Indianapolis, other than that, I didn’t know squat about B. Sowell, truthfully…that was enough for me to start having faith in him. As far as rookies still out there on the Waiver wire, or on another team’s practice squad (though have to be real choosy claiming one off of another teams practice squad, because he has to be active for Cardinals as part of the 53 man roster for 6 weeks if I remember correctly) does anyone have any names that intrigue them? Or do any of you think a veteran is the way to go?? Also, any thoughts on Watford getting a chance at RT, I’m just not sure on Watford, it took him quite awhile to grasp the mental aspect at Guard, anyone else think Watford may struggle or even fail the RT experiment? Or is this a case of he has been right under our noses the whole time? (the answer to backup RT that is)

13. By Demond Howard on Sep 2, 2014 | Reply

Darren, I apologize if you hit on this before ( I don’t want you repeating yourself). Are there any thoughts that they bring in mike Sam? I know they are happy with what they have, but I think Sam can really learn from our guys and make him an even better play. You can’t overlook his performance in the preseason.

14. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2014 | Reply

Demond —

RE: Sam

Not coming here. Does not fit a 3-4 defense. Going to Dallas, looks like.

15. By shane on Sep 2, 2014 | Reply

Darren, you mentioned in john brown/Carson Palmer article that there’s only four captains..? so larry fitz didnt get voted in this year ?? that surprised me alot!

16. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 2, 2014 | Reply

Jim Irsay suspended for six games. Wow. The Colts are really going to miss him. I forget, what position does he play?

17. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 2, 2014 | Reply

Now Welker gets suspended for four games for using PED’s. No doubt he will apologise to his teammates and fans and promise to learn from his “mistake”. Maybe he will blame it on whatever junk he put on his head to re-grow his hair. This is all getting to be beyond stupid. I don’t agree with the harsh penalties for smoking a little weed ( players don’t get suspended for being drunks ) but I do think guys who cheat should serve at least a ten game suspension and be banned for life for a second offence.

18. By CreditCard on Sep 2, 2014 | Reply

Agree with Bluenose. How on earth does a Billichick not get suspended or banned from the game for cheating (spying) on other team’s practices. His record for playing teams with inside practice fields is a fraction of the success for teams that practice outside.

19. By MartinK on Sep 3, 2014 | Reply

I am a little worried that there would be too many raster spots on linebackers even for a 3-4. At some point you will have your “workhorse” starters play the majority of snaps, and a lot of talent sitting on the bench. There is something like that area of diminishing returns where adding another backup pass rusher just won’t make a difference. I would be a lot happier to have some depth on offensive line. A solid O-line makes our defense even better, simply because of time of possession. If Palmer would not have had to run for his life on third last year our defense would have played less minutes and would have had legendary stats. I hope there are 5 offensive lineman coming in. I was hoping that Winston Justice might be one of them.

20. By clssylssy on Sep 3, 2014 | Reply

I see Vickerson is going to the Bengals and Adam Snyder to the Giants. We have a +3 point advantage going into the game with the Chargers (which is what we would get for home field advantage)…not exactly what one would think from a team who beat the Seahawks in their house! It appears I’m not the only one who is worried about this roster. Carson Palmer has his moments and I have been supportive of him but I don’t seem him as any Phillip Rivers…lol