Adrian Wilson visits practice

Posted by Darren Urban on September 3, 2014 – 1:39 pm

Before anyone takes this out of context, when veteran safety and ex-Cardinal Adrian Wilson came to visit practice today, it was just that — a visit. It wasn’t a tryout. Wilson wasn’t working out for General Manager Steve Keim but conversing with him, wearing — as A-Dub often does — a trendy outfit and carrying what looked to be a notebook and pen. He and Keim go way back, with both North Carolina State products and Keim the one who scouted Wilson and pushed for his selection in the 2001 draft.

I only got to talk to Wilson briefly, and he said he was doing well. There was no talk of football per se, or his recent release by the Bears. He, as you can see in the picture below, still very much looks the part. (One young Cardinal saw him from afar and noted, “I thought he’d look older than he does.” Take it as a compliment, Adrian.)

I’m not sure of the drop-by, but it isn’t surprising. Someday, Wilson will be going into the team’s Ring of Honor. That’s been known since it was put in the official press release the day Wilson was released. I am one of many who thinks that, whenever Wilson decides to retire, he could very well sign a one-day contract with the Cardinals to end it with this franchise. And I would not be surprised to see Wilson end up with some kind of role within the organization at some point. I think the organization thinks that much of Wilson, and I think Wilson thinks that much of this organization.

— The Cardinals had a another mini-practice Wednesday. With a Monday game, the real “week” of practice starts Thursday, with pads and hitting. That’s the day safety Tyrann Mathieu will give hitting a try.

— Arians said new defensive lineman Tommy Kelly is picking up the defense just fine — “Defensive line, the playbook isn’t real deep,” Arians quipped — and it looks like Kelly should slide in just fine into the defensive rotation.

DubBubbleblog

Tags: , , ,

28 Responses to “Adrian Wilson visits practice”

1. By Beastmode on Sep 3, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren, its been a long while since I asked a question but I’ve been reading. Has D-Wash tried to appeal? Or is he content to take the year off rehab, and get his life back on track? Thanks man.

2. By Darren Urban on Sep 3, 2014 | Reply

Beast —

RE: Washington

The appeal process is over by the time the suspension is officially announced.

3. By ryan on Sep 3, 2014 | Reply

YO ADRIAN….miss ya man!!

4. By LG on Sep 3, 2014 | Reply

A-Dub will always be a part of Bird Gang 4 life!!!!

5. By NickPepe on Sep 3, 2014 | Reply

Nice to see ADub at the facility and I hope he gets a role within the organization.

I really think this is the best team the Cardinals have fielded since I have been a fan (1970-71) and that we will be having a February home game. I honestly think this is our year.

Why not us !!

I can’t wait until the “Friday before ”

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

6. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 3, 2014 | Reply

@Beastmode….Washington is suspended. I have not read anything about rehab. Have you?

7. By emm on Sep 3, 2014 | Reply

I know I will get some thumbs down and yes, I know what I am about to say never had a chance to begin with and now certainly will never EVER happen. With that said, I really feel like while he lost his coverage skills over the last half decade or so, he could have really been a terror in a different role. I know the idea of him moving to LB was never on the table, I can just never figure out why. He is/ was perhaps the best passing rushing DB in the NFL. I don’t know why he never was put in that position especially as the years went on. At 230 pounds, he definitely had the size for it.

What really makes me scratch my head is that while the idea of him moving to a LB role was always shot down, they (Cardinals brass) had no hesitation in putting Bucannon in the same role right away! I just really feel like ADub could have extended his career had he been placed in a sub package, pass rushing role. Oh well, doesn’t matter at this point, just wish my favorite Card of all time could have stayed with this team his entire career.

8. By LadyBird04 on Sep 3, 2014 | Reply

Very good to see Wilson with a big smile on his face. He and Dockett have long been my favorite defensive players for the Cards. I was so sorry to see him leave (understood the reasoning and agreed with the decision).

He has been keeping up with the team and have seen several “tweets” to other players when they were injured or deserved a congratulations.

Ring of Honor – no doubt. All I wish is the best for him and his family. If he comes back to the Cards in some way in the future – win/win as far as I can see.

9. By Sean K on Sep 3, 2014 | Reply

Is it unsettling to anyone else how much he looks like Bucannon?

10. By azdesertrat1953 on Sep 3, 2014 | Reply

Good to see A-Dub and Steve having a word or two.

Miss your hitting A-Dub.

GO CARDS!!!

11. By infitzwetrust on Sep 3, 2014 | Reply

Technically A-DUB hasn’t played a game with meaning since leaving the cardinals.

If he were to retire tomorrow, it would stand that Adrian Wilson played his entire regular and post-season career with, an only with, the Arizona Cardinals.

12. By K-Dub on Sep 3, 2014 | Reply

I understand Washington is “out of sight, out of mind” and I agree with that notion. As Cards fan all my buddies come to me about his suspension. It’s said once his calender year is up, then he can request to be reinstated in the league. I always add even if he gets approval to return to the NFL he still has to deal with the domestic charges. Am I right?

13. By Darren Urban on Sep 3, 2014 | Reply

K-Dub —

RE: DWash

Correct.

14. By perry matherne on Sep 3, 2014 | Reply

Hey kiem,do yourself a favor,resign adrian wilson.

15. By Scott H on Sep 3, 2014 | Reply

Damn, man…Wilson AND Keim BOTH look like they could be playing right now! What other team could say that about a defensive back on the verge of retirement and THEIR GENERAL MANAGER ( !!! ) standing off to the side at practice??? Um…how ‘ bout NONE!!!

GREAT to see A-dub looking as good as he does. I wish he were playing somewhere this year, but….if it doesn’t happen, I think he will walk away with his head high and no regrets. He will ALWAYS have a place in the hearts of Cardinal fans, a spot in the Ring Of Honor ( as good as done ). and perhaps a role in the organization. One of THE greatest warriors to ever play for this team.

16. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 3, 2014 | Reply

BA says Cooper is going to be a heck of a player. So, why is he not starting? He was chosen 7th overall in last year’s draft, ahead of some very gifted players. And now he is a back-up to Larsen who spent almost all of the pre-season playing centre, not guard, because Sendlein was hurt. So, Cooper is going to sit unless someone gets hurt? How is Cooper going to get better unless he plays? Remember when BA said that Levi Brown was an “elite tackle”? Maybe Cooper, like Brown, is no longer good enough. We need a running game and I don’t know if we have a good enough o-line to help deliver that. We’ll soon find out.

17. By red c monster on Sep 3, 2014 | Reply

Seeing A-dub sure does bring back tons of good memories. Am i the only one that finds it weird that he is here seemingly just for a visit – and with a notepad to boot? we ain’t getting the whole story here. lol.

18. By CreditCard on Sep 3, 2014 | Reply

Scott H:

I agree Adrian Wilson could play in the NFL if he elected. Keim on the other hand has the physique to be candidate for the professional bowler’s circuit

Cards need to connect the dots so to speak, in having Wilson a part of player development, consultant, something in Cardland. His knowledge about the game, schemes, work ethic, toughness needs to be shared and mentored to the younger players.

19. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 3, 2014 | Reply

Scott H,

How about the recently cut Champ Bailey and GM John Elway?

20. By UK Cards Fan on Sep 3, 2014 | Reply

Always loved A-Dubs tenacity and passion for the game. He always seemed like the one constant on our defense year in and year out. Can’t wait to see him in the ring of honor.

21. By hminus on Sep 4, 2014 | Reply

Maybe theyre saving the last PS spot for him…

22. By K-Dub on Sep 4, 2014 | Reply

I hope he can get hired on coaching staff. Todd Bowels could get a HC job and take some staff with him. In comes A-Dub as new Secondary/Safeties Coach, imagine him as a mentor to DEEEEEONE! My wishlist has always been Warner and Wilson as future Coordinators for the Cardinals.

23. By BirdsSTC on Sep 4, 2014 | Reply

We miss you A-Dub! Favorite Cardinal of all time.

24. By Hammy on Sep 4, 2014 | Reply

I hope the Seahawks lose tonight! Go Cards! Football is back! Gotta love it!

25. By gailcagle on Sep 5, 2014 | Reply

An all time Cards Favorite. I sure miss this guy and would love to see him with the Cardinals in some capacity. Just an all around talented and cool guy.

26. By Scott H on Sep 5, 2014 | Reply

JTDG –

Bailey and Elway got NUTHIN’ on Wilson and Keim! Wilson would put Bailey through the floor and Keim would eat Elway. Seriously, He would literally eat him. There would be nothing left except shoelaces. Maybe.

27. By Andy on Nov 7, 2014 | Reply

I’m repeating what has already been said but why don’t we resign him at least as a backup this year so he can finish his career on HIS team in a year when we might very well go to the Super Bowl again and he can retire a Cardinal.

2. Sep 8, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | Ellington active, Mathieu is not