Ellington sits, but singer Shelton visits

Posted by Darren Urban on September 5, 2014 – 2:41 pm

No, Andre Ellington wasn’t in the bubble Friday for practice (at least during the open portion) and the running back sat out officially. But Blake Shelton was there. The country music star, judge on”The Voice” television show and large Cardinals fan, is in town for a concert Friday night. So during the day, he visited the team as they prepped for the Chargers. He hung out talking to, among others, team president Michael Bidwill, general manager Steve Keim and ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer. He was presented with a jersey bearing his name after practice ended, and coach Bruce Arians sounded like a big fan.

Shelton even was invited in to break down the defensive backs huddle after practice (pictured below), although he admitted he didn’t really know what he was doing. He gave a, let’s call it a strong, message to the DBs about what they should do to the Chargers and hollered “DBs” with the rest of the players.

Shelton is not expected to try and play running back if Ellington cannot play Monday.

— On the Ellington front, I’ll have a full story in a bit on the homepage, but not much was learned today. Offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin said he couldn’t talk about injuries — Arians doesn’t meet the media again until tomorrow — and reiterated the philosophy from Arians on down: “Whoever is in there is in there. Who knows what will happen, but next man up.”

Ellington and linebacker Alex Okafor, who also did not practice, were the only Cardinals not to practice fully.

SheltonDBsBlog

Tags: , ,

25 Responses to “Ellington sits, but singer Shelton visits”

1. By Jason Zumwalt on Sep 5, 2014 | Reply

That’s a happy fan right there, man.

2. By Cards Girl on Sep 5, 2014 | Reply

At least there is one celebrity who is an AZ Cardinals fan and not ashamed to show it as he did on Jimmy Fallon. Nice touch for the Cards to have him at practice. Hope it raised some spirits as I am bummed about the possible loss of Andre Ellington for a few games. Hope all the media hype is just overreaction to no news from the MRI.

3. By beardinals on Sep 5, 2014 | Reply

We should have a running list of celeb Cardinals fans. There are probably more than we think.

Here, I’ll start:

Blake Shelton
    John Hamm
    Peter Billingsley
    Frankie Muniz

See? Fun.

4. By br in nc on Sep 7, 2014 | Reply

Had no idea Blake Shelton was a Cardinals fan, good for him, I wonder if he has converted Miranda yet!
    John Hammer goes back to the days of the St Louis football Cardinals, been a fan his whole life. He is right around my age, and is a diehard St Louis baseball fan like me, a lot of St Louis Cardinal fans did the same thing, we just followed the football Cardinals to Arizona, and kept our loyalty to the remaining teams! Never could figure out how most of the fans severed ties, and became diehard Rams fans, my own mother did it, haven’t spoken to her since!! ( that’s a joke people, please no death threats! LOL! Mom really did convert to the Rams, but she is my mom and I love her and still talk to her, hell I forgave her years ago for being a Cubs fan!)
    GO CARDINALS!! (football & baseball)
    GO BLUES!!
    GO ILLINI!!

5. By br in nc on Sep 7, 2014 | Reply

Joe Maddon ((baseball manager)
    Would venture to say, JohnMcCain. (Of course all politicians from AZ are more than likely fans, they can kiss a lot of babies, shake a ton of hands, get their picture taken a lot!! Free PR, and possible votes, votes, votes!! I’m sure every state that has professional teams has all the politicians as their biggest fans!!

6. By Chuck 1 on Sep 5, 2014 | Reply

Did Dominique Williams (Practice Squad) play in the preseason?
    If so, how did he do?
    If Ellington is out for a while (e. g. a month) do you expect Keim to bring in a RB who has been cut or an UDFA who the Cards had their eyes on?

7. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2014 | Reply

Chuck 1 —

RE: Williams

In preseason he was 32-131-0 with the Vikings.

8. By Dan on Sep 5, 2014 | Reply

Why isnt Tyrann in practice gear in the photo above? Was he held out of practice today?

9. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2014 | Reply

Dan —

RE: Mathieu

Practiced full. Took off his jersey by the time they broke it down.

10. By WeComeWeGo on Sep 5, 2014 | Reply

With talk about the possible changes to the league’s drug policy being modified- do we know if this would affect D Wash’s suspension? They seem to only be talking about Josh Gordon and Wes Welker’s suspensions.

11. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2014 | Reply

WeCome —

RE: DWash

I wouldn’t expect any changes.

12. By beardinals on Sep 5, 2014 | Reply

I thought I heard it tossed around that the limits would go up on drug testing and Gordon was barely over for the old testing. Not sure about D Wash.

13. By cardsalltheway on Sep 5, 2014 | Reply

I sure hope Dwyer and Taylor can step up! Thx for the videos of guys we don’t hear much from(Bowles, R. Johnson/S. Taylor), and while I was watching I also noticed this…
    Here is Darren not saying much(of anything)…
    Here is Darren joining in(late)…

14. By cardsalltheway on Sep 5, 2014 | Reply

“RE: DWash

I wouldn’t expect any changes.”

After the NFL’s Commissioner’s(R. Goodell) recent missteps(to say the least) we can all hope that he removes himself from his current state of mind to find a new and wiser one with common sense, can’t stand the guy myself.

15. By Steve on Sep 5, 2014 | Reply

Darren: I sure hope Ellington doesn’t have one of those lisfranc sprains, if so he will be out awhile……

16. By Dr. G. on Sep 5, 2014 | Reply

No doubt Ellington is a terrific athlete, but we have other RB’s who will very adequately cover this position, probably by committee. What happened to the “next man up concept.” We’ll prop up his position until his return. A TE & RB = Ells.

Good for Shelton, sorry he is not expected “to try to play” ((not try and play))…

The news on Ells is vague at this point; perhaps Saturday brings more detail.

17. By Paul Liccardi on Sep 5, 2014 | Reply

its a shame if andre has to miss some time,as a football coach myself I agree with coach arians when somebody is injured somebody else has to step up, injuries stink but there a unfortunate part of the game

18. By Coach K on Sep 5, 2014 | Reply

Darren, I expect Dwyer to go Beast Mode in this game Monday night. This is an opportunity for him to show how good a running back he really is. Power and quickness is what he brings to the table.

Time for Taylor to step up and understand what he can, and cannot do. Hint- “in between the tackles my boy, in between the tackles”. Run straight and run true. Bounce outside and shame on you.

19. By br in nc on Sep 7, 2014 | Reply

When Dwyer got to start for the Steelers due to Mendenhall injury, he went “Beast Mode” for like 2-3 games, his first 2 for sure, he had something like 260-275 yards in the first 2 games if my memory serves me, kind of tapered off after that.
    IMHO, of Ellington has to miss some time because of this injury, this will give us a look at our depth (which I think needs improvement, hopefully the backup RB’s prove me wrong!) and it can give us an idea on what kind of priority to put on RB for next season, ie…draft and free agency. (I was really hoping the Cardinals would have went after Toby Gerhart in free agency last year)
    Here’s to a victory on national TV, and Monday freaking Night freaking Football. Time to put the pedal to the metal ladies & gentlemen!!

20. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Sep 6, 2014 | Reply

God Bless DD: “I’m just trying to cut the time in half,” Dockett said. His diligence and will power will infect the team.

From Bidwill, Arians, Keim, Mathieu, Okafor, Docket, Ta’amu.. everything we get is positive. Larry talked about how his cap number HAS to change. A Dub gravitates back here, even Shelton wants to feel the atmosphere. What an awesome group the Cards have assembled. Injured players or not, special year on deck. Look at year Colts had under Arians with less talent… its the mind that matters most… and these guys believe. Me too.

21. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 6, 2014 | Reply

Arians said the offense will go thru Ellington. 25 touches is what we should expect.

If Ellington can’t go, how is the game plan changed? Surely the offense will not be centered around Dwyer or Taylor?

Is there one game plan with Ellington and one without? Or was Bruce blowing smoke about the offense going thru Ellington?

I guess we will find out. Can’t wait till I settle into my seat Monday night, 4 rows up on the 50 for my 23rd season.

22. By Dynosoar on Sep 6, 2014 | Reply

JTDG,

I know he’s a sophomore, so there’s a few years before he’ll be available for the Cardinals, but what do you think of Tennessee’s Marquez North. 6’4″, 220. He has 4 receptions for 68 yards and two touchdowns against Arkansas State and there’s still 6 mins left in the third.

I’ve been watching him for two seasons now (ok, 1 season and 1.5 games) and am impressed. But I haven’t followed anyone else but my Volunteers, so have no one to compare him to other than fellow Tennessee WRs.

So here I am, once again coming to you. Hey, you could’ve just picked a name like John the Great Guy, but you wanted draft in there. Haha.

Anyone else have thoughts on North? (Again, he’s only a sophomore.)

23. By br in nc on Sep 7, 2014 | Reply

Dynosoar
    Are you a diehard Vols fan, or just a casual fan? The reason I ask is there are 2 players on the Vols roster who played their high school football right here where I live in North Carolina! They are the 3A ” 3peat” State Champs, back to back to back and going for #4 this year!! I have become a casual Vols fan (football only, never in basketball because I despise Bruce Pearl, scum of the earth, he lied years ago about my beloved ILLINI, and got them NCAA probation, all to deflect his wrong doings, but what goes around, comes around, and he finally got his in the end, of course Auburn doesn’t care that the Guy is a POS! okay rant is over, back to football) because these 2 kids play for Butch now. Both Tennessee and South Carolina have multiple players from this small NC town that is turning into a football powerhouse, Bruce Carter and Guy Whimper both went to school here as well. Do the names Kendall Vickers and Derrell Scott ring any bells (Vickers is a redshirt freshman, and Scott is a true freshman and was the #1 RB recruit out of NC last year!) Unfortunately, you guys also landed Jalen Hurd at RB and he is more of a beast right now than Derrrell Scott is right now (Scott is only about 180 pounds and needs to bulk up a little, but when he does, look the hell out, you guys got a great one, and he has a very high GPA!! I served in the Marine Corps with Derrell’s father and uncle. I’am very good friends with his uncle, and worked briefly with his father, but I see his Uncle almost everyday, he lives in the same suburb three cul de sac’s over from mine! I have met Steve Spurier (sp) South Carolina’s head coach has had 5-6 recruits in recent years go play for him, he has found a little rinky dink gold mine here, so he personally shows up 1-2 times a year just to keep the pipeline rolling. As a matter of fact, Vickers had commuted to South Carolina, but changed his mind at the last minute and Butch snatched him away. Check out Derrrell Scott’s list of offers from last year, online. To name a few…he had offers from South Carolina (everyone thought that was where he was going) Georgia, (Scott outplayed Todd Gurley both his Soph & Jr year. Yes, that Todd Gurley, who is tearing it up for Georgia, and Gurley is from a smaller HS than we have here, he was 2AA!) Notre Dame, Ohio State, USC, just to name a few, oh yea, almost forgot, Florida St (was a final 3 choice) Alabama, and Auburn as well, once Derrrell gets some meat on his bones, with him and Jalen Hurd in the Vols backfield (plus, isn’t the QB a Freshman or Sophomore?? Looked very impressive as well) you are going to have one hell of a 2 headed monster in Knoxville!!

24. By br in nc on Sep 7, 2014 | Reply

Dynosaur & JTDG
    Another “under the radar” WR to take a look at is ECU’s (yes, a Tad bit of local bias, but look at his #’s for his career, he is a shoe in to be drafted, just a matter of how high his draft status soars) Justin Hardy is his name, Synopsis, if your man from Tennessee is anywhere near as talented and consistent as Hardy, then he will play on Sunday’s!! Hard to believe Justin Hardy was a walk on at ECU, he got no D1 offers out of HS, because he was a QB (and a very good QB) but only D2 offers! ECU told him to walk on, as a WR, and they would give him a scholarship his sophomore. Year if all worked out. He stunned everyone with his performance his freshman year, and the rest is history! (Plus he grew up 25 minutes from ECU campus, a huge pirate fan, so he was happy as hell to walk on, it was a dream come true for the kid!!

25. By James P. Krehbiel on Sep 6, 2014 | Reply

My guess is they’ll put Ellington out there and give him fewer touches. I hope the best for him!