Ellington active, Mathieu is not

Posted by Darren Urban on September 8, 2014 – 5:52 pm

Running back Andre Ellington is active tonight against the Chargers, which is a big deal for the Cardinals. Andre, as you see in the tweet below, forecasted the good news. We’ll see if he is limited or if he’s able to be a full part of the offense. Also active is punter Dave Zastudil, which means the Cardinals will have two active punters tonight. Zastudil could end up just holding on place kicks.

Of the inactives, one surprise is rookie defensive end Kareem Martin. The arrival of new defensive linemen Tommy Kelly and the waiver pickup of former Charger pass rusher Thomas Keiser, both of whom are playing, has impacted Martin’s situation.

One guy that is not a surprise to be sitting is safety Tyrann Mathieu, whose debut remains up in the air as he comes back from knee surgery. Aside from Martin and Mathieu, the inactive list:

— QB Logan Thomas

— LB Glenn Carson

— LB Alex Okafor (thigh)

— G Earl Watford

— TE Darren Fells

That leaves the Cardinals with three active tight ends too.

As a quick aside, not only is Kurt Warner going into the Ring of Honor at halftime, but the Cardinals have another former player cranking the “Big Red Siren” as kickoff approaches: Adrian Wilson, who was a practice visitor earlier this week.

Tags: , , , ,

25 Responses to “Ellington active, Mathieu is not”

1. By perry matherne on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

it could be worse.

2. By Nick on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

We obviously know that A-Dub is going to be in the ring of honor. When do you think his induction will be?

3. By Darren Urban on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Nick —

RE: Wilson

He needs to officially retire first.

4. By cardsalltheway on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

It’s too late for me to start Ellington on my fantasy team. I can’t wait til the last minute(game of the week) to start our star RB whom was highly sought. Thanks team!!! Hardly anybody with a head on their shoulders would’ve taken the chance on this last Monday night football game to start Ellington. In fantasy land, Ellington got benched!!! Now let’s hope he doesn’t again ride the fantasy pine with a more serious “foot/ankle injury” after tonight. On a positive note, I’m starting both C. Palmer & Fitz(Cardinals Double Down)!!

5. By CreditCard on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

All the injuries which causes recent changes of personnel, and the Chargers are good — I’m nervous about this game.

6. By Dynosoar on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

I look at the list of inactives and see seven players I want to see playing. Now that is depth and I can’t say I’ve ever felt this way. In fact, every year of my life I’ve felt there were players on the active roster I wish were replaced with better players and I’ve felt those on the inactive list should be there.

This is not the case now. I can’t remember ever cutting players I knew could be difference makers. I can’t remember ever having players on the inactive list who I knew could be difference makers.

Coach Arians, Steve Keim, my hats off to you both. Now let’s get a win and begin our run to home field next February.

7. By cardsalltheway on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

While the MNF double header was on the TV news almost everywhere was covering the NFL Goodell missteps. I vote for TMZ as our new NFL commissioner(it cares), let Goodell go(he don’t care)!!! If the NFL/Ravens never saw the entire video(hahaha) then they didn’t want to see it. The NFL has video of how many 7th round potential draft choices? The NFL has how many law enforcement agents at the tip of their fingers? Yet we get a claim that goes something like this…DUH, I Don’t Know Davey!!!

“To: Our readers.

From: Peter King, editor-in-chief, The MMQB

An addendum to the Ray Rice coverage:

Earlier this summer a source I trusted told me he assumed the NFL had seen the damaging video that was released by TMZ on Monday morning of Rice slugging his then-fiancée, Janay Palmer, in an Atlantic City elevator. The source said league officials had to have seen it. This source has been impeccable, and I believed the information. So I wrote that the league had seen the tape. I should have called the NFL for a comment, a lapse in reporting on my part. The league says it has not seen the tape, and I cannot refute that with certainty. No one from the league has ever knocked down my report to me, and so I was surprised to see the claim today that league officials have not seen the tape.

I hope when this story is fully vetted, we all get the truth and nothing but the truth.”

8. By cardsalltheway on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

We need to keep the ball more to win, our D is not the same as last year. I’m just guessing but it seems as though we’re getting killed on time of possession. C. Palmer can’t move in the pocket either. Where is Fitz, did we trade him?

9. By CreditCard on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Cards 6 Chargers 3 at half. Missed opportunities, we have forgotten Fitz is on our team. This is the type of game you can lose on a freak play. I’m getting more nervous.

10. By CreditCard on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

In a blink of an eye, SD is up 17 to 6. Ouch!

11. By CreditCard on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Somebody please explain to me why we let Walter Powell go, and we kept Ted Ginn. Ginn was released from Carolina — and they have a pathetic receiving core.

12. By CreditCard on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Some of the play calling is at best questionable.

13. By CreditCard on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

I see we haven’t practiced 2-point conversions

14. By CreditCard on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

San Diego’s no huddle is killing the Cards. Meaning we are not in as good of shape as we thought.

15. By CreditCard on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Thank you Mr. Brown. Thank you Dwyer for picking up 7-yards. Gutsy game by Palmer — the man is tough.

Ellington had a great game, as did Palmer, as did the secondary. Where or where is our pass rush?

16. By Nick on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

CreditCard

Did you watch the game? Did you not see the catch before half? Please watch the game and pay attention before you try and be a GM.

17. By LG on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

The only thing that matters is we got the WIN TONIGHT BIRDGANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how do it feel KARLOS DANSBY to watch us win and we watched you lose!!!!!!! I guess money cant buy you everything.

18. By Dynosoar on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

I have always maintained elite QBs throw over 60% accurate. Palmer was 64.8% tonight. (On a side, Rivers ended 58.3)

Turnover battle -1 (Palmer, 0 interceptions, Rivers, 1)

Our time of posession = 31:49

sacks for = 0, sacks against = 2 (we only allowed 2 sacks. That’s 32 over the season. I’m sorry, that’s 38 over this season.) We didn’t have any sacks on Rivers, this is not good. Where was Abraham? Is he the one that was injured?

Every kickoff in or through the endzone.

19. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

@cardsalltheway…..Palmer cannot move in the pocket??? Excuse me????

20. By John on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Huge clutch plays by Palmer, huge win for the team!

Go Cards!

21. By vnk on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Darren/Kyle

I am waiting to read your ‘Chargers aftermath’!!!

VNK

22. By ored on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

a win is a win…but it was’nt really impressive…we need a pass rusher.
    maybe a good part of the reason palmer had no picks was that he did’nt force to fitz,now another game or two doing the same and maybe fitz gets back to business,we wanted other recievers to open things up for him but it does’nt just happen suddenly in just one game,so he has a couple of down games,upside to that is palmer throws less picks and the other recievers become clutch and we see floyd and brown blossom.

for those who complain of steeler retreads…foote was awesome,dude made an impact.i think we get better as we go and have good potential.

23. By clssylssy on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

It was an ugly win by default…Chargers beat themselves. If we expect to beat the 9ers in two weeks Carson is going to have to use the talent we have and not just throw to John Brown, Floyd and Ellington. The play calling was terrible and it was hard to imagine this as the same team that beat Seattle in their house last year…Come’n Man, we have the talent if we use it. Nice TD by Stephan Taylor and the one handed catch by Fitz was a thing of beauty that nobody else would have made, too bad it was out of bounds…still he makes watching football fun. I liked that Palmer moved around, next comes accuracy. Larry Foote was an excellent pick up and our defense was better than expected still “miles to go before we sleep”! One down, We can’t give up the Nest–EVER!

24. By cardsalltheway on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

@ JohnnyBluenose,
    “Palmer cannot move in the pocket??? Excuse me????”

Didn’t he fumble the ball “in the pocket” after lackadaisically holding the ball? Also, I made that statement after his half speed run during the first half when he about got knocked silly out of bounds. He woke up after that and did do better. Still, that doesn’t make me feel better going forward because his 30 yards rushing wasn’t “in the pocket,” thank goodness he started running full speed out of the pocket to save his life. However, I’ll admit his footwork “in the pocket” seemed to get better in the 2nd half.

ESPN’s Keith Olberman pleads for Roger Goodell to step down(after “Cover Up”) and I couldn’t agree more! The guy ain’t got a clue, he demonizes those who use a medicinal drug, lining up with all those that lobby against cannabis that includes private prison corporations, police unions, prescription drug and alcohol companies etc…) while protecting GF/fiancee/wife beaters. He probably still watches and believes the 1930’s anti-marijuana propaganda movie “Reefer Madness.” If R. Goodell doesn’t step down he should be F I R E D by NFL owners.

In recent cases, other than D. Wash, and R. Rice we got the 49ers player, the Jets practice squad player and if you missed it Carolina’s Hardy(DE) appealed his recent case, read what the judge said about Hardy below…Have I missed any others???

25. By Darren Urban on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

cardsalltheway —

RE: Comments

You’ve made your point on Goodell. You can stop making a right turn on all your comments and going back to it every single time.