Flooding and Ellington still game-night decision

Posted by Darren Urban on September 8, 2014 – 8:33 am

Well, everyone in the Valley woke up to the massive rain and flooding, and that tends to hold the attention right now. Even Cardinals General Manager Steve Keim, on his weekly “Doug and Wolf” appearance on Arizona Sports 98.7, did his call from home because he said he had a foot of water in his basement. Not good. The I-10 freeway is flooded in spots too. We’ll have updates on azcardinals.com and on Twitter if needed as we get closer to the game. Nothing to report right now in terms of it impacting the game, but be sure to keep checking.

“Hopefully,” Keim said, “all our fans can make it out there.”

As for a little bit of football:

— Keim said running back Andre Ellington (foot) was limited again Sunday in the work the Cardinals did. That said, Keim said the medical and training staff will put Ellington through the paces pre-game to determine if he plays. My gut, based on pure speculation? I’d say they hold him out. But we’ll see.

— Same goes for safety Tyrann Mathieu. I did find it interesting that Keim noted how well Jerraud Powers and Tony Jefferson have been playing and Mathieu’s status is “just whether he fits in to the particular scheme this week.” Again, my gut would say Mathieu sits. Powers and Jefferson can do the job.

— Keim said guard Jonathan Cooper (toe) is taking reps with the first unit. Ted Larsen is still the starter, but clearly, the Cardinals aren’t going to shove Cooper in the corner. Keim said it would be up to Bruce Arians whether Cooper would get any actual work in the game.

— Keim said the decision to release linebacker Desmond Bishop was a “numbers decision.” Bishop’s salary is not guaranteed now, even if they were to bring him back. Although listening to Keim, I’m not sure that would happen anyway. “(Bishop) had a nice preseason but quite frankly (undrafted rookie) Glenn Carson did as well,” Keim said. “Carson is the fourth inside linebacker at this point and we don’t see that changing anytime soon.”

— The Cardinals have not yet filled the open roster spot created with Bishop’s release. I’d guess one would happen today, but we’ll see. You could add a running back with Ellington’s iffy situation, or a punter if ailing Dave Zastudil (groin) isn’t ready.

EllShot

Tags: , , , , , ,

40 Responses to “Flooding and Ellington still game-night decision”

1. By wampag on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Is there anyway at all they’ll fill that spot with ADUB?

2. By Darren Urban on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

wampag –

RE: ADub

3. By br in nc on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Darren
    Some fans just will not accept the fact that A. Wilson is not coming back to play as a Cardinal anyway. He might (should) get a 1 day contract to allow him to retire as a Cardinal, but that is it Cardinal fanatics!! I love Aruba as much as the next fan, maybe even more since I have followed NC State for years now, As well I believe he has done enough to be in pro football HOF, not just the Cardinals ring of honor (of course the Canton remark is biased, Aruba is the man) he is the 3rd best DB the Cardinals have ever had, IMHO!! But his playing days are over, at least as a Cardinal, and sadly, probably over, period!! I had a difficult time accepting it, but it can be done folks…it is time to move on.

4. By Mr B on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Are the stadium parking lots flooded or not? With the opening game tonight you would think that one of our mediocre news outlets would let the cardinals fans know if they have a place to park for tonight’s game. I guess it’s not a concern until they have a parking crises a half hour before kick off. With the parking and security staff at the stadium being as awesome as they are, I’m sure everything will be planned
    Out and managed to the tee.

5. By Darren Urban on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Mr. B —

RE: Parking info

As soon as there is something to report, if there is anything that changes, I will post here and on Twitter (@cardschatter and @azcardinals).

6. By wampag on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Is there anyway that spot will be for ADub? One more year and then a retire.

7. By wampag on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Wow that was quick ok thanks.

8. By br in nc on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Ray Rice has a better chance at that spot!

9. By clssylssy on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

I think losing Zastudil is huge; often punters are not given the credit they deserve and Zastudil is one of the best. I am relieved to get the sense that the team is proceeding with extreme caution with Tyrann, who, if he’s strong by the 9ers game will be great but not worth jeaporadizing such a talent by being impatient. Yesterday, on the Fox 10 preshow they said that an ACL usually doesn’t get better until the 2nd year and Tyrann’s injury wasn’t just a torn ACL. Ellington has had chronic problems going back to college and for a RB to have bad feet is kinda like having a race horse who’s had injuries; any kind of foot injury whether it is a Lisfranc injury, turf toe, break, etc.is very serious to a football player, so the thought of them “shooting him up” so he can play makes me cringe as he will just do more damage. Would hate to lose such a talent so early in his career.
    After watching some of the other games this weekend, I was greatly encouraged that even if our defense isn’t what it was last season (still to be determined) it is probably better that some other notables…like the Saints. However, the 9ers are still the 9ers and were impressive even with all their dramas and losses. Our schedule is going to be tough but if we can crack the #2 spot in the West, we’ll be in good position . We have two weeks to do our homework, polish our game and find talent to step in for the injured. Tonight will be the first test by playing a playoff contender on National TV (which has never been our friend). Let’s remember to Protect the Nest and Play Smart!

10. By ryan on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Do you happen to know which games will be played in the black jerseys?

GO CARDS!

11. By Darren Urban on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Ryan —

RE: Black jerseys

I do not know yet.

12. By Marlin on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Excited for the Big Opener tonight. We’ll be there !!!!!!!! Go cardinals !!!!!!!!!!

13. By Brad on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Is there a deadline to where we have to fill the spot or can we just leave it open in case of injuries?

14. By Darren Urban on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Brad —

RE: Roster spot

No deadline. You can carry 52 if you want. Can only have 46 active game day anyway.

15. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Mike Bidwill did nice job on #cnbc tv Fast Money today. Flooding did not come up. Gov declared State of Emergency .. if rain increases, could we see rain out?! LOL, praying for sunshine!

16. By Dr. G. on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

In jest, but wouldn’t it be great if we never needed a punter tonight?

17. By Dr. G. on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

clssy – – my take on the 9’ers… Dallas made them look really good with their pathetic team. They were not tested even a bit.

I-10 West bound around 43 ave is a muddy mess – as reported at 10:30AM… water has receded, but can’t see all that mud cleared by game traffic time… pick an alternate route…be well…

18. By BIG RED ALLDAU on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

I am a die hard cardinals fan, win or lose they are my #1 team..RIGHT BIRDGANG.

19. By Buckeye Red on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Safety first, Cards. If there’s a chance of more rain, you gotta call the game. I know it’s national TV, but we’re talking about the home town fans. Don’t send us out in that stuff tonight!

20. By br in nc on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Call the game due to rain??? I realize folks in Arizona (at least parts of it) are not used to rainfall, traffic stops when it rains out there, I know that sounds crazy to most, especially if you are not from, or do not live, or have never lived in Arizona, but they just don’t see a lot of rain!! I lived in Yuma for 4 years, and did multiple deployments back to Yuma, I will never forget the first time it rained real heavy the roads disappeared, people freaked out and all traffic just stopped, came to a complete standstill,. I could not believe there are no ROADSIDE DRAINS, none of the streets. Have drains, the water has no place to go, I remember thinking…how dumb is that, you have to have street drains for the water runoff right? Wrong!! I think it rained 5 times in the 4 years I lived in Yuma, and only a couple of the storms were bad enough to shut down roads for flooding, and it was usually good to go in 5-6 hours. There is no reason to waste billions of dollars on street drains and sewage system for that runoff, for that little bit of inconvenience, and that short time that the roads are actually unsafe, and closed.
    PS…I also got caught in a couple of sand storms (nothing near the size of sandstorms in the middle east!) but bad enough where I couldn’t see 2-3 feet off my front number, I pulled over in a hurry, I just couldn’t see! But you could tell the drivers who were from there locally, or had lived there many years, they were just whipping by me and a few other cars that had pulled over (we were all from other states of course! I was really young and had never driven in a sandstorm) but the local drivers were not slowing at all, and were not having any problems driving in the sandstorm because they have done it there whole life!! Just like me driving in a rainstorm or snowstorm, I have driven in them my whole life, of just becomes second nature! Damn I’m rambling bad, huh guys!!

21. By joe 67 on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G I agree about the 9er game. I didn’t think they looked that good at all. Dallas pretty much gave the game away, and still outplayed them at times.
    Wish I could be there tonite but a 4 hour flight is a bit much. Maybe someday. I will be watching as always. Never miss a game. Main reason I have DirectTV.
    Go get ’em Cards.. Make lots of noise fans!!!!

22. By Mike G on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is cool! I hope that weather eases for you guys– looks ugly from over here on the East Coast. I think the Cards should try to hammer the ball on the ground against this team think the Chargers were 29th against the run last year. Being it is only week 1 I would not play Honey Badger or Ellington no need to aggravate those injuries. I think the Cards have trust in Dwyer and Jefferson to step in and do the job. I am very interested to see how the Card’s LB’s play tonight – they have a tough test against Rivers. Hoping the Card’s can be stout against the run. Darren –Can you see S-Taylor getting double digit carries against SD tonight if Ellington can’t go. Would love to see Taylor have a breakout game!!!

23. By Darren Urban on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Taylor

I expect Dwyer to get more carries than Taylor if Ellington sits. Beyond that, I’m not sure what to expect.

24. By Scott H on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Geez, how crazy is that – that FLOODING from heavy rains is causing problems in the desert???

25. By Coach K on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

If Ellington can’t go, I am looking for Dwyer to have a monster game running off tackle and on sprint draws. It’s fun to watch his feet when he runs. You would never expect such quick feet on a guy Dwyers size, but this is why he was called Baby Bus in Pittsburgh. He reminded everyone of Jerome Bettis, another big body with light feet. I’m very excited to see Dwyer break out tonight like he did a few years ago in the Burgh.

26. By D on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

I know we have more important issues like having a Punter, but if L. James, RB from SF clears waivers, I would kick the tires on him and bring him in..

27. By Dr. G. on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

BuckeyeRed – – Only a weenie would stay home tonight. ADOT has done a great job to clear the roads. We want big time noise to greet Philip Rivers & Co.

joe67 – – I’m at the game tonight–will yell a bit for you. And again, Dallas, Jones and staff have created a giant sucking sound from Texas for 20 years!

MikeG – – Don’t forget our RB/FB ((we don’t have FB’s)) Robert Hughes also. He’s a bruiser and I’m hoping he is a sleeper surprise on this roster. He can pound the rock some at the Chargers… Be well…

28. By Chuck 1 on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Now that the Revans have released Ray Rice for domestic abuse, I think that the there is a potential for a lengthy penalty for DWash. Will the Ravens’ decision put heat on the Cards’ to release DWash?

29. By br in nc on Sep 9, 2014 | Reply

Dwash’s punishment should not ne under the new rules since his incident happened well before the mandatory 6 game first offender rule. (Of course Goodall, and the NFL can do whatever they want, just look at the Ray Rice case, every single jurisdiction in the nation would be double jeopardy, no questions asked, but in the NFL there is no such thing, Goodall just added to his suspension no questions asked, and the players union doesn’t look like they will fight it! Don’t get me wrong, he deserves everything he gets out of this, I was only pointing out the power of Goodall, and the NFL!! Dwash’s assault was not anywhere near as bad as Rice’s, but still wrong!! I just don’t think Dwash will get hit real hard in this case!!

30. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Sorry to hear about your weather and I hope it does not detract from everyone’s game evening experience. At least the field is protected and the game itself should not be affected. I’m not sure how our game planning changes as a result of Ellington’s injury. Does Palmer throw the ball 50+ times? I guess it depends on how close the game is. Hopefully we can control the ball and not have to punt more than a few times. Can we expect John Brown to have some “Percy Harvin-like” plays? Hope so. We should be okay if our defense can force Rivers into some bad decisions.. Cards 31-20???. Let’s go!!!

31. By Chuck 1 on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

BREAKING NEWS: Baltimore Ravens terminate contract of suspended running back Ray Rice after video shows him punching then-fiancee in an elevator.

32. By rod on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

I wonder if the field was inside or out when all the rain hit. But either way the bottom tray deal probably has drain holes in the event of just such an event.

33. By Darren Urban on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Rod —

RE: Field

Field has been inside since Saturday.

34. By rod on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Thanks! Go Cards!!

35. By georgiebird on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

No one is looking at this game correctly. Here’s my take on this game and probably any other game we play against a top-flite passing attack.
    1) If our #21 looks like the top db in football- then we’ll be in every game.
    2) If our #21 looks slow, heavy and complacent- then we may win 6 games

The rest of the day to day with the Cardinals takes a back seat to PP’s ability to be the best and take the pressure off the other units of the defense.

On offense, I would like to see Dwyer and the OL run a bit against SD’s defense. If the much improved speed of our WR group still can’t result in a decent running game then it’s going to be a one dimension offense even when AE returns.

36. By shannon robinson on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Jonathan Dwyer was affectionately called the Mini-Bus by Pittsburgh fans! Roll Bus Roll!

37. By Chuck 1 on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

There are a lot of “Negative Nellies” i.e. thumbs down on this thread.

2. Sep 8, 2014: San Diego Chargers vs. Arizona Cardinals: Live Score and Analysis for Arizona
  3. Sep 8, 2014: San Diego Chargers vs. Arizona Cardinals: Live Score and Analysis for Arizona - Curated News, Rumors and Headlines - FourLeagues
  4. Sep 8, 2014: San Diego Chargers vs. Arizona Cardinals: Live Score and Analysis for Arizona | Sports Wonks